Flxibles 5745-5764

jajuan

For all those who are fans of the 1991 Flxibles powered by Cummins engines, I rode 5746 yesterday on the 12 Roosevelt on the ride home from work. It's one of the few that were transferred to Kedzie. As I remember someone else saying in a previous thread, a lot of the others that are left have been turning up at 103rd.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of the group 5745 to 5764, the only one left is 5746.

Wow, Im cannot find any of those buses, the last one that I've rode is #5749 on (14 Jeffery Express), this was last spring, after that I've seen it broke down couple times. Other than that, Ive never caught anymore of 5745-5764. I'll just have to find 5746 and ride it before it retires.

Wow, Im cannot find any of those buses, the last one that I've rode is #5749 on (14 Jeffery Express), this was last spring, after that I've seen it broke down couple times. Other than that, Ive never caught anymore of 5745-5764. I'll just have to find 5746 and ride it before it retires.

Back in 2003 I had the opportunity to drive CTA Flxible/Cummins # 5750, hence my name! on 56 Milwaukee. It was a borrowed Archer bus that popped up at the Glen. I got to do 3 trips to downtown and back on the # 56. The best bus I ever got behind the wheel of in my entire time I spent as a bus operator, Ill never forget it!

Today I finally managed to track down and ride 5746. I saw it on the #124 this morning, so I tracked that particular block's schedule and caught up with it this afternoon on the #120. I suppose my life is now complete.

(j/k)

Those two routes during rush hour that terminate at Navy Pier(#120 and #121) are really good because all I've seen on them is 4400s and 5300s, but I know that a few New Flyers are put in the mix as well. And of course #120 being out of Kedzie and #121 out of 103rd.

I can say this much about those series of Flxibles. They had some great pickup and rode very smoothly. They rode a lot like the new New Flyers of today. I have not rode one recently, but in their heyday at Archer, I caught a few of them up and down State Street on the old #10 Shopping Loop (once eliminated, not back as the #10 Museum of Science and Industry). I think they will be missed.

• 3 months later...

:) Seen good old 5746 on Damen this morning. If CHBM preserves a Flxible 5300, it should be this bus.

CTA could let us save the bus but not before they rip out all the wiring on it so that CTA wont be liable for anything just as they did with Flyer 1606.

Just knowing how 'sexy' those Cummins buses were, I'm surprised that the whole fleet (or more than the 20 they had) didn't have that series' buses.

A shame that I'm not around when they retire 5746. I'll be missing it so much.

David, our condolences, our thoughts and prayers for all those affected by this terrible tragedy. Those who lost their lives today, may they not be forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...

I was happy to ride 5746 Monday on the 50. To bad it is so hard to get a bus from cta to save it. I wolud love to save 5746.

We still have a chance to ride it :rolleyes: , but a small chance :unsure: . I was riding the 24 this morning to school, and at Cermak, I saw 5746 working 21 Cermak. It had a paper sign, since its flip dot sign had problems.

I think this had already come up before, but all the others (5745, 5747 - 5764) are already gone right?

We still have a chance to ride it :rolleyes: , but a small chance :unsure: . I was riding the 24 this morning to school, and at Cermak, I saw 5746 working 21 Cermak. It had a paper sign, since its flip dot sign had problems.

I think this had already come up before, but all the others (5745, 5747 - 5764) are already gone right?

I know is that 5749 has been gone since last summer from breaking down so many times on #14 Jeffery. I wish that 103rd would've kept one of them others. I am still searching for 5746, haven't seen it since December, I thought it is already gone.

I know is that 5749 has been gone since last summer from breaking down so many times on #14 Jeffery. I wish that 103rd would've kept one of them others. I am still searching for 5746, haven't seen it since December, I thought it is already gone.

I was on my way home from the firehouse this morning when I spotted #5746 at 16th/Cicero. If I didnt have to get home this morning I wouldve loved to have taken a ride on her. The last of the 5300 Cummins/Flxibles.

post-158-1204732103_thumb.jpg

post-158-1204732196_thumb.jpg

Yes all the others are gone now. Quantae, you need to check out Kedzie routes for 5746 before 3/23. After that it will be either be transferred or retired like the rest of Kedzie's 5300 as mentioned in the Spring pick article and thread.

Yes all the others are gone now. Quantae, you need to check out Kedzie routes for 5746 before 3/23. After that it will be either be transferred or retired like the rest of Kedzie's 5300 as mentioned in the Spring pick article and thread.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But are the TMCs going to be remaining at Kedzie after 3/23?

Thanks for the notice for #5746.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But are the TMCs going to be remaining at Kedzie after 3/23?

Thanks for the notice for #5746.

Nothing's been reported about Kedzie's TMCs going anywhere, so it's a good bet they'll still be there. As a matter of fact, from one of rmadisonwi's posts on the 'Spring Picks' thread, Kedzie just may get some more of them from NP along with some NABIs for the transfer of 125, 143, 145 and 148 from NP to Kedzie on that date.

• 3 weeks later...