CTA Paper Buses

Danielsmusic

I've been thinking about the CTA rolling out with those Nova artics since February of this year. I wish they would do that next year. I love those Nova buses & the Novas that came out in 2000.

Not a chance of that happening at all with the alleged current NF artic contract for up to 900 in limbo due to lack of state capital funds as well as the remaining 287 Flx 6000s set to bite the ax Feb. 7 with no replacements.

I know someone on here was inquiring about a two-tone New Flyer D40LF we had before the 5800's arrived. While I don't have photos, I did modify a drawing and make it to what I believe this bus would've probably looked like(if it did exist).

I know I did an attempt on a two-tone New Flyer D40LF that was delivered sometime before 1995 in the two-tone Green Scheme that the Flyers and M.A.N Americanas had... After tweaking with paint, I might've gotten the colors a little more closer to the two-tone green(I used nothing but Green in the custom color section of paint). You be the judge on the colors... it's very hard for me to be... :(

CTA_D40LF_OLD_MODEL Prototype Pre-1995.bmp

I know I did an attempt on a two-tone New Flyer D40LF that was delivered sometime before 1995 in the two-tone Green Scheme that the Flyers and M.A.N Americanas had... After tweaking with paint, I might've gotten the colors a little more closer to the two-tone green(I used nothing but Green in the custom color section of paint). You be the judge on the colors... it's very hard for me to be... :(

You folks know I'm tired of the present CTA livery. That being said I do like what you did with Green. :)

That Green Livery is what all CTA Fleet should be at now. I love that scheme livery color. It does reminds me a little of MAN Americana in GREEN.

That Green Livery is what all CTA Fleet should be at now. I love that scheme livery color. It does reminds me a little of MAN Americana in GREEN.

Sorry but can't go along with that one. I agree it's nostalgic, but in hindsight it was not all that exciting or attractive.

Sorry but can't go along with that one. I agree it's nostalgic, but in hindsight it was not all that exciting or attractive.

Art is in the eyes of the beholder. Personally I am more in favor of the trend of doing away with the black masking around the windows, as indicated, for instance by 7800. If I were going in any direction, it would be a monochromatic look, sort of like the Pace buses, but green for CTA, and far less busy. The design of the Tollway Compobuses that was appropriated by Pace seems more CTA to me.

As you point out, the two tone green is pre-1990. However, red white and blue isn't distinctive in this application. WMATA has apparently given up on it.

Art is in the eyes of the beholder. Personally I am more in favor of the trend of doing away with the black masking around the windows, as indicated, for instance by 7800. If I were going in any direction, it would be a monochromatic look, sort of like the Pace buses, but green for CTA, and far less busy. The design of the Tollway Compobuses that was appropriated by Pace seems more CTA to me.

As you point out, the two tone green is pre-1990. However, red white and blue isn't distinctive in this application. WMATA has apparently given up on it.

Oh I wasn't defending the current red, white and blue with black-masked windows. I was just making a bigger point of if they ever were to change liveries, why do one that's been done before instead of finally for once showing some imagination?

• 1 year later...

If you're referring to where I got the model/drawing from, yes I know. But the repaint and cta label was done by me via Paint.

No, I was referring to the colors of what was posted, which gave rise to the "I know" statement. Or, maybe the repaint didn't work if your source in fact was Gary.

Also, the proportions sort of look like a 35 foot bus, which is what I think Gary had.

No, I was referring to the colors of what was posted, which gave rise to the "I know" statement. Or, maybe the repaint didn't work if your source in fact was Gary.

Also, the proportions sort of look like a 35 foot bus, which is what I think Gary had.

Actually, I copied and posted a portion of a CTA GM Fishbowl picture onto the Paint screen I had opened with the model, and just used the color matcher, or whatever that tool is to have Paint re-create the color so all I had to do was color in the appropriate areas.

As far as it being a 35 foot bus, I don't know if it is or not...

It doesn't look like a actual drawing of the Optima Opus bus exists.... until now. Now, I'm not very proficent in Paint with drawing stuff, so I'm probably guessing I'll hear a lot of heckling for this model which I have decided to share with you. So heckle away if you wish, but I'm proud of it, honestly. This is a 100% sw4400 drawing, no borrowing pieces from other buses for this one...

cta_Optima_Opus.bmp

Actually, I copied and posted a portion of a CTA GM Fishbowl picture onto the Paint screen I had opened with the model, and just used the color matcher, or whatever that tool is to have Paint re-create the color so all I had to do was color in the appropriate areas.

I guess I should quit beating around the bush. The fishbowl (at least as I downloaded it) is pink with a brown belt.* The Flyer and MAN correctly are light and dark green.

So, the color matcher didn't work.

*It would be an RTA 4523 if the area around the windows were slate instead of pink, and some orange got into the front.

I guess I should quit beating around the bush. The fishbowl (at least as I downloaded it) is pink with a brown belt.* The Flyer and MAN correctly are light and dark green.

So, the color matcher didn't work.

*It would be an RTA 4523 if the area around the windows were slate instead of pink, and some orange got into the front.

Well, I'm not one to say you're wrong when it comes to color conflictions. You might be right... It looked good to me, though. But I'll upload a modified version using the colors from the Flyer model and see if that improves it any...

CTA_GM_New Look-Modified.bmp

Well, I'm not one to say you're wrong when it comes to color conflictions. You might be right... It looked good to me, though. But I'll upload a modified version using the colors from the Flyer model and see if that improves it any...

That at least is green. However, the wheels should be dark green (same as the belt), too.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...