CTA Paper Buses

Danielsmusic

While I get the patriotic intent, personally, I don't think it works. The black mask is more traditional, and this sort of reminds me of Pace's 1993-2003 window treatment.

I actually think that the black mask came about as an attempt to create a seamless window look. An example might be the New Flyer Xcelsior (sp?). I'd like CTA to move away from the U.S. flag colors but if not I like the Compobus livery better. BTW, thanks for the update!

I actually think that the black mask came about as an attempt to create a seamless window look. An example might be the New Flyer Xcelsior (sp?). I'd like CTA to move away from the U.S. flag colors but if not I like the Compobus livery better. BTW, thanks for the update!

The black mask (as an industry trend) pretty was because both the RTS and Flx 870-Metro had flush windows. Most of the foreign designed buses didn't, but some transit authorities wanted to emulate that look. CTA, however, didn't, with the white, lime and pine from the 7000 series MANs articulateds, essentially though the 4000 series MANs.

One has to wonder why CTA decided to change to a more standard livery in about 1987. Where they seeing then that they would have to buy U.S. styled buses by 1990? Who knows?

Anyway, most TAs now seem to have gotten away from the base bus of a white body with black window trim, but not CTA.

If I were doing anything at CTA, it would be something like the 7800 shown in the gallery, which, in retrospect, is an LA arrangement with CTA colors. At least it is still dark around the windows.

Since I'm just messing around with livery ideas, and the CTA is highly unlikely going to be changing from the current livery anytime soon, here's another one just for kicks...

Hey can you do one in the new Jeffery jump look? And the classic cta look? Cause you pretty much know they're going to keep the same look. But I also like the bus as well that's the bus design I know they're going to go with anyway.

Hey can you do one in the new Jeffery jump look? And the classic cta look? Cause you pretty much know they're going to keep the same look. But I also like the bus as well that's the bus design I know they're going to go with anyway.

Jeffrey Jump won't be a problem, but I need more elaboration on the classic CTA look... I grew up in the '80's, so to me, the classic CTA look is lime green and white.

Jeffrey Jump won't be a problem, but I need more elaboration on the classic CTA look... I grew up in the '80's, so to me, the classic CTA look is lime green and white.

If you really want to go classic (and the best place to do it is on the History page):

The most classic (before my time) is the mercury green, orange, and cream, shown on the streetcar. As I noted in connection with the 100th anniversary of Linden, the early buses had the orange stripe too, even though that didn't show up in the black and white pictures in Lind's book.

Next was the deep green, as shown on the trolley bus. Usually there was a white top (at least with repainting), although cream ones were also prevalent. The first L cars to get this treatment were the 2000s, although the 6000s were repainted in the late 60s.

At about this point, you can pick up the pictures at busdrawings.com.

This one of a 1000 is typical of the GM new looks as delivered (lime around the windows, and pine at the belt rail and and diagonally up the front door). On the 1000s and 7400s, the fleet numbers were originally under the windshield, where the Chicago Transit Authority logo is on the pictured bus. The 9000s were delivered in essentially the configuration with the fleet number under the GM logo. There were also the 84 "albino" buses used in temporary RTA service, where the belt rail was white.

With some repaintings, such as here, CTA went on to that design starting on a production basis with the MAN 7000s, through the Flyers and MAN 4000s, until we got to the current red white and blue scheme.

BTW, since suburban agencies were tagging onto CTA orders in the 1970s (until the RTA purchased the 8000s), the design was similar to CTA's, except:

South Suburban Safeway: Maroon belt and cream around the windows.

Nortran: Medium blue belt and light blue around the windows.

Suburban (Oak Lawn): Turquoise belt, and I believe coral around the windows.

Jump, too dark; Americana, too light; red white and blue, just right. Do I get my porridge now?

However, the window surround on the new look should be the same color as on the Americana, not orange. Did you use as a base the one that I said was a Gary bus?

Jump, too dark;

The jump looked alright to me, but it might be a few hues lighter... but I've explained my color issues, no need to mention them for the one millionth time

Americana, too light;

The paint program told me the colors I selected were Green and Lime, so I thought they were correct now... :(

red white and blue, just right

Well, at least one of three isn't bad... :unsure:

However, the window surround on the new look should be the same color as on the Americana, not orange. Did you use as a base the one that I said was a Gary bus?

Again, the color hue paint said I used for the window surround was labeled Lime. As far as the Fishbowl model itself, I used the one I used before, just tweaked the color scheme. If that was the Gary bus, then yes. I don't know what bus model it was, all I know was I found it on a bus drawing site that I can't even remember anymore.

The lime might be o.k., but the other green is pine. The following setting (from Windows Paint "Edit Colors" looks about right to me.

post-14-13490988821635_thumb.jpg

On second look, the Jump isn't too bad (the stripe is red, when I thought it was more orange), but the blue looked a little more like these settings.

post-14-13490989587931_thumb.jpg

These comparisons are by eye; I no longer have a paint program that has the eyedropper or* clone tool to just copy colors.

*Looking again, it does, but I didn't use it.

I tried the color for the Pine you suggested, but Paint labeled that one as Turquoise... so I did a little tweaking to a Dark Green I did find, and hopefully made it more of a Pine Green...

The dark green is much better, but you still have orange around the windows of the New Look. The MAN and Flyer look about right.

I don't know what to tell you about that... paint labeled that color as "Lime".

To help you out, I downloaded the two pictures, loaded them into Windows Paint, clicked the eyedropper on the area, and then selected Edit Colors.

The Lime on the Flyer had the following readings:

post-14-13491123714552_thumb.jpg

The Orange on the New Look:

post-14-13491124052204_thumb.jpg

I suppose that you can do the same on your end, but note that the RGB numbers in the right column do not match (the New Look has way too much Red).

The eyedropper (or whatever) should be used to make the wheels match the dark green.

This might be up East New York's alley, and anyone else wanting to see this bus in our fleet... a paper model didn't exist until I put it together. It was a two-day project, so hopefully it's pretty well received...

Somehow that bus looks like it is 45 feet long (which might not be a bad idea). :lol: