CTA Paper Buses

Danielsmusic

• 1 month later...

Well, not CTA, but a paper bus of a model that the CTA did briefly use.

Notice the back glass design. The all black window section (Including window struts), points to an earlier Orion: 2314 had such a design, while later 2300s had white between the windows.

The model is a bit beat up from when I moved in 2010. However, I am scanning in all the parts, and touching it up a bit. Adding a unit number, and removing the "street smart" wording on top.

A friend of mine that works for Pace North has a grandson who is crazy about trains and buses (And seems like he died and went to heaven when he sees my train and bus stuff at my place!). He's been asking for a toy Pace bus like his grandpa drives. None on the market, so, being the German craftsman around here, I thought of scanning in the sides of this, altering it with a unit number, proper headsign, and also edit the windows so that my friend - the kid's grandpa - is shown driving inside the windshield.

The plan is to form a solid piece of pine block inside to the shape of the bus, then paste over the printed sides (print them using a color laser printer), then seal it down with a spray sealant. Carve out wheelwells and add free rolling wheels. Will end up being of similar construction to early Fisher Price toys from the 1930s.

post-596-13547689830002_thumb.jpg

post-596-13547689898678_thumb.jpg

Now here's the New Flyer Xcelsior(not in a CTA Livery, just the livery it was in when it was first introduced by New Flyer). This will be the model that will be used for the two all-electric buses the CTA will get next year.

Could you do an Xcelsior in the CSL/CTA red and yellow livery?

Take a look at the IRM website for an example.

Thanks!

Well, not CTA, but a paper bus of a model that the CTA did briefly use.

Notice the back glass design. The all black window section (Including window struts), points to an earlier Orion: 2314 had such a design, while later 2300s had white between the windows....

The logos are good, but something hit me as a bit off. The best of my recollection is that while there was the white upsweep over the front door, the black band on the left side went through the driver's window. Mel Bernero's Photobucket illustrates that: right, left.

Edit: Also they didn't have a rear window. For the most part, up to 8872 had a louvered grill; those afterwards had the cover with the vent holes in them that you could see through. The backs, though, were basically white. The Pace logo took up the whole of the engine door, rather than being restricted to the width of the side stripe. You probably could also put black around the taillights.

And, of course, a route number sign at the bottom of the air conditioner cover.

Not a Pace, but this picture is typical of an Orion back, just substitute the route number sign for the two lights.

A similar project I'll do with the scan in of the parts, is a "Pimp my Bus" type model. Friend of mine at Pace and I, long ago, talked of making a pimpmobile bus model, just to see what it would look like. Perhaps the shiny spinning hubcaps can be shaped as the Pace "wrench" logo. Lots of shiny trim, jacked extra high on the suspension - gives the term "high floor" a whole new meaning - and a fancy engine compartment with machinery showing. You get the idea.

Here's try #1 on the CSL Livery. Using the color extractor tool and a photo of the old motorcoach IRM has a picture of, perhaps this scheme is correct, if not I'll tweak it a bit more.

Way too brown; should be crimson.

If you are going to grab something with the eyedropper, this IRM picture of the matchbox streetcar should be closer.

Update: I guess you got it from the picture of 3407, but that's definitely not right.

Way too brown; should be crimson.

If you are going to grab something with the eyedropper, this IRM picture of the matchbox streetcar should be closer.

Update: I guess you got it from the picture of 3407, but that's definitely not right.

Yeah, I used 3407 for the 1st try. Here's the 2nd attempt using the matchbox streetcars' scheme.

New Flyer Xcelsior CSL Livery.bmp

Here's one that might entice Busjack... a New Flyer Xcelsior made with the Green Hornet Streetcar livery. I got the colors using the color eyedropper directly from a section of image and put it together from there.

This one didn't work.

Try this one as a sample, although it is a bit faded. And the orange definitely should only be on the rail.

This one didn't work.

Try this one as a sample, although it is a bit faded. And the orange definitely should only be on the rail.

Ok, I used the picture you suggested for the color samples. This might need to be redone again, as the rail comment threw me. I'm not sure if you meant the streetcar should only have it, or if I put the orange on the rail of this paper bus.

New Flyer Xcelsior Green Hornet Livery.bmp

Ok, I used the picture you suggested for the color samples. This might need to be redone again, as the rail comment threw me. I'm not sure if you meant the streetcar should only have it, or if I put the orange on the rail of this paper bus.

That's what I meant about the orange, but I assumed above it would be cream. But if Gene is satisfied....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting concept, although not practical on the streets of Chicago with turning radius. This is a New Flyer DE70 or 80LFR... an extra long 70 or 80' bus. It would help with overcrowded bus routes, but create traffic nightmares with turns.

One more window for the mid-portion of the bus. I've always thought about New Flyer and Nova Bus manufacturing bi-artics (double artics) for extra heavy-duty or BRT routes. We already have some operating in Brazil, Switzerland, Colombia, and Germany.See if you can make a drawing of a Nova LFS Bi-artic bus.

Here's an interesting concept, although not practical on the streets of Chicago with turning radius. This is a New Flyer DE70 or 80LFR... an extra long 70 or 80' bus. It would help with overcrowded bus routes, but create traffic nightmares with turns.

And I think the third axle is supposed to go in front of that second articulation joint.

And I think the third axle is supposed to go in front of that second articulation joint.

In that we are dealing with total fiction (the Xcelsior page indicates 35 40 and 60 foot models) it probably can go anywhere. Not much different than old Boston Electric cars with a compartment stuck between two units.

I think I'd like to see it as an ETB (electric trolley bus). :)

I would agree on a normal articulated, jajuan... but I think that the wheels are evenly placed as they are here, with weight evenly balanced on each axle. I was contemplating adding another axle in the middle of the bus.