What's left for #5300 Flxibles

BusHunter

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have photographic proof of this? Just kidding!! At least #5643 was still on the #66 last night along with #5448 on the #54 two or three days ago.

Yea 5643 was out there on the 66 thanks to me. I pulled it out. It was the only Flxible left in the garage! Here's your photographic proof of it at Navy Pier.

post-386-1231539827_thumb.jpg

Yea 5643 was out there on the 66 thanks to me. I pulled it out. It was the only Flxible left in the garage! Here's your photographic proof of it at Navy Pier.

If it is the only one left in the garage, then apparently that is it (unless you weren't implying that another was on the road). The only question with my bet is whether it outlasts the last 5800 at NP.

No what I meant by the last one was when I checked for my run and went to get a bus to pull out it was the only Flxible left in the garage. All the others were out on the streets. The run I had pulls out late so the selection is limited that time in the afternoon!

With the announcement of the next routes appearing on Bus Tracker (26 January) again omitting any routes at Chicago Garage; is this a backward hint that the Flxibles might last through January? :huh:

It might be, though I wouldn't be too surprised if CTA was just being stubborn about putting anymore Chicago routes on the tracker.

The last Flxible: 5643.

It ran in service this morning on #53. I'm told it will sit in the garage for a few days "just in case" there's some special request for it (maybe a media event or something similar), then it's off to the bus garage in the sky.

WOW. I saw that bus just this morning. This means farewell to the Flxibles. Goodbye Flxibles. You served us well!!

It ran in service this morning on #53. I'm told it will sit in the garage for a few days "just in case" there's some special request for it (maybe a media event or something similar), then it's off to the bus garage in the sky.

Hmmm, I was working Armitage/Laramie tonight and I passed it a few times on both streets!

I lost, even though I didn't make a prediction (I was going to say one of the higher 5600's).

Hmm!! I really saw #5652 on the #65 at about 6:00 P.M. around Pulaski/Grand just east of there. (And I don't even have proof!! :huh: ) Well I guess it was on it's final voyage. There's only one group of high floor buses now. Soon it will be low floor heaven.

Really, I don't remember riding a MAN #4000 much beyond the 148 coming into service and the only route left I was able to really find one was the 135 at that point. About late April/early May of that year I spotted none in service.

For a bit of a refresher course on Americana #4000's retirement check this out. (post #43) BTW, I was wondering what's the longest a CTA bus has ran in service. The best I can come up with is the lake street #3700's years in service 1969 - 1991. 22 years.

BTW, I was wondering what's the longest a CTA bus has ran in service. The best I can come up with is the lake street #3700's years in service 1969 - 1991. 22 years.

Krambles's book says that 301 lasted 29 years, from 1962 to 1991. Page 52.

For a bit of a refresher course on Americana #4000's retirement check this out. (post #43) BTW, I was wondering what's the longest a CTA bus has ran in service. The best I can come up with is the lake street #3700's years in service 1969 - 1991. 22 years.

I wasn't doubting you. There were so few left at that time that it was hard to find one to ride either way. Your report of only 2 left by 5/28/04 explains why I don't remember being on one for too long after the 148 went into sevice as I stated in my last post.

Krambles's book says that 301 lasted 29 years, from 1962 to 1991. Page 52.

Yeah, I forgot that one. There's also a picture of it on the #90N in that book. Perhaps one of the reasons it lasted so long was that it was completely restored in the 80's. Undoubtedly the strongest bus of that series. No wonder it's preserved in CTA's historic collection. BTW, a question for CTA5750 or someone who knows. The other day it was said that at CHBM that the #375 was being taken off display. Does that mean there scrapping it? I hope not!! :unsure: On the flipside of what I was talking about before, I think the #7000's were active for the shortest amount of time. (unless you count #7800 as an official bus) They lasted from 1979 to 1991. 12 years. I guess they weren't really that liked. I remember the doors were slow to open in front, and the rear # decals were placed right on the rear window. Something that will probably never happen again.

On the flipside of what I was talking about before, I think the #7000's were active for the shortest amount of time. (unless you count #7800 as an official bus) They lasted from 1979 to 1991. 12 years.
Probably a bit longer than 12 years, but not much, were the last of the 8700s-8800s, and some of the 3300s-3400s. When there was the big influx of GMC New Looks in the mid 70s, not much reason to keep them around, even though they were still in good shape (of course, with the 8700s, there was the question that they were the last propanes when CTA was finally converting to diesel). Bill V. has 1963-75 for the 8700s.