CHBM CTA #9799

Where is the storage yard for the CHBM? Is it at Route 30 and 34?

Yes the buses are stored at a Public Storage facility there. I have to make trip soon to check on the collection. Were still trying to find a permanant home for our buses.

Guest ctafan630

Yes the buses are stored at a Public Storage facility there. I have to make trip soon to check on the collection. Were still trying to find a permanant home for our buses.

Thanks. I live about 10 minutes away from that storage facility and have been dying to get inside to take a look at the collection.

• 1 year later...

Here are some pics from last years big move of CTA GMC #9799 from CHBMs former home to their temp. home. I had the pleasure of driving our CTA bus out to Aurora. Plus heres a pic of a St Louis 30ft Flxible.

I remember when I drove that bus when I was at North Park. Those were the days when they had cool destination signs with the split colors. I'm going to have to go out to that museum sometime.

More pop cans! If someone has there way 9799 is next! Also if he has his way the mci and the old look will be the only buses left. I think that will be sooner than later.

Didnt they put a couple of buses on Ebay? 8715 was a great restoration. It is a shame that its been turned into popcans

I remember when I drove that bus when I was at North Park. Those were the days when they had cool destination signs with the split colors. I'm going to have to go out to that museum sometime.

Hi Leonard,

Check out the pics I took in front of that bus. Afterwards, I drove it out to Aurora. The bus currently sits in a Public Storage.

Does the word "liablility" mean anything?

I realize the original post was over a year ago,but if the equipment is no longer on the active

roster or owned by the CTA how would the CTA be liable if an accident were to occur?So why do they

have to render the bus inoperable,I don't understand. :(

I realize the original post was over a year ago,but if the equipment is no longer on the active

roster or owned by the CTA how would the CTA be liable if an accident were to occur?So why do they

have to render the bus inoperable,I don't understand. :(

Product liability to the purchaser. There was the instance where MBTA was held liable to someone who was rehabbing a streetcar and was "poisoned" by the chemicals is some component. Similarly, if CTA sold a bus that purported to have working brakes and didn't, there would be liability issues. So, just disable the bus and there is no question that CTA didn't assume any risk for selling it to someone who could operate a defective one.

There are probably people on here with more knowledge than me on the CHBM collection, but I believe they had a Flxible with the nickname "OLE BLUE". This bus is currently sitting at Jimmy Diesel in Lagrange. I dont know what its there for or who owns the bus. Anyone know more about this?

Product liability to the purchaser. There was the instance where MBTA was held liable to someone who was rehabbing a streetcar and was "poisoned" by the chemicals is some component. Similarly, if CTA sold a bus that purported to have working brakes and didn't, there would be liability issues. So, just disable the bus and there is no question that CTA didn't assume any risk for selling it to someone who could operate a defective one.

Thanks Busjack,I appreciate the info.I suppose in this day and age,one must do what one must do

to protect themselves.

I remember when this bus (without sliding windows) was originally at 77th garage. 77th had I believe 9759 - 9799 at that time. Then when 52nd/Cottage garage closed, all of its routes except 43rd were transferred to 77th. So were the 3000s (3600s) and the 1000s(1100s). Buses 9040 - 9049 went to 69th and the remainder of its 9000s went to Limits. Somehow 77ths 9759 - 9799 wound up at NP and 77th wound up with some 9600s from Archer which was shortlived because 77th would lose all of those 9600 series which really upset me and made me think that CTA discriminated against South Side garages.

Guest ctafan630

I live up near the CHBM Museum and have noticed the number of buses that are kept in the storage facility decreasing. First it was the old Downer's Grove bus and now I have noticed Ole Blue is no longer there. It is shame these buses are being sold off.

Well thats what goes on with no money. No one wants to help or hads money to so by the end of the year that will be it for chbm if or sooner. 8006 will be the next to go it looks like. Cost to much to fix $2000.00+ and dont have the money to fix it.So that will be a pop can soon to.

Guest ctafan630

Also we never had a Downers Grove bus. What bus are u talking about Ctafan?

The bus that had the big Wicked Ad on the driver side. It looked like an old Downers Grove bus to me.

Is it my imagination or does the CHBM collection seem to have more national buses than chicago ones now?

Well were looking pretty local for a while but some of the Chicago area equipment has been scrapped in the past year.

The bus that had the big Wicked Ad on the driver side. It looked like an old Downers Grove bus to me.

That's Rock Island 9013/ex-St. Louis 9004. It was painted in a fictional "Metro Transit" livery that resembled Downers Grove. CHBM also had an ex-CUMTD 35' Flxible painted in the same scheme.

That's Rock Island 9013/ex-St. Louis 9004. It was painted in a fictional "Metro Transit" livery that resembled Downers Grove. CHBM also had an ex-CUMTD 35' Flxible painted in the same scheme.

That bus can be seen in the movie "The Lake House" in the movie the bus strikes and kills Keanu Reeves. They use the 35ft Flxible. The front phoney head sign read "45 WABASH"

Guest ctafan630

Thanks for the clarification.