CHBM CTA #9799

Guest ctafan630

That bus can be seen in the movie "The Lake House" in the movie the bus strikes and kills Keanu Reeves. They use the 35ft Flxible. The front phoney head sign read "45 WABASH"

Was that bus also in Batman: The Dark Knight?

Was that bus also in Batman: The Dark Knight?

I couldnt say, I havent yet seen The Dark Knight. I heard a CTA TMC RTS marked "GTA" (Gotham Transit Authority) makes an appearance.

I thought it was an LFS, but I don't remember now. The 'gta' logo was a modified 'cta' logo. :P

In the evacuation scene where the old candy building on Cicero Ave is dressed up as Gotham Hospital, one of the buses used as an evacuation vehicle was a NOVA LFS from Archer (numbered 66xx if I remember right). You are correct that an LFS was used.

When 9799 was sold into preservation, there were some "back room deals" involved. The shop was made aware that the bus was of historic importance, and thus was not to be stripped. However, after being retired because of a defective door operating valve (I kid you not, saw the defect card), it was however stripped. But thanks to intervention from above, the missing parts (windows, engine) were in fact replaced prior to sale. When Loren went to pick it up at 77th, he fully expected to have to hire a flatbed, but found the bus sitting on the ready line, RUNNING and ready to travel!

Andre

Who knows, maybe management was more open to the idea. Today it isnt so easy. CTA management is so tight about how they run the system and they have no interest in preserving any history. The bus continues to operate thanks to a California bus collector. Bus 9799 along with CTA #375 spent some time at Dreamliner bus out in Perris, California just outside of Los Angeles. Its owner Loren Weeks did extensive work to the bus plus the warm California climate also helped preserve the bus and in 2006, CTA #9799 and CTA#375 were purchased from Dreamliner and the buses after a long cross country trip the buses returned home to Chicago.

• 1 month later...
Guest ctafan630

When 9799 was sold into preservation, there were some "back room deals" involved. The shop was made aware that the bus was of historic importance, and thus was not to be stripped. However, after being retired because of a defective door operating valve (I kid you not, saw the defect card), it was however stripped. But thanks to intervention from above, the missing parts (windows, engine) were in fact replaced prior to sale. When Loren went to pick it up at 77th, he fully expected to have to hire a flatbed, but found the bus sitting on the ready line, RUNNING and ready to travel!

Andre

Is bus 9799 a pop can now? I have driven by the Public Storage location a few times and do not see it parked in back any more.

• 3 months later...

Is bus 9799 a pop can now? I have driven by the Public Storage location a few times and do not see it parked in back any more.

No. It is still alive and kicking and is going to be around for a long time now that it is privately owned by me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvxyxqHTYw

• Upvote 1

No. It is still alive and kicking and is going to be around for a long time now that it is privately owned by me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvxyxqHTYw

Two questions,first,how much work is required to keep it in good condition

and second,will anyone be able to take any pictures of 9799 in the future? :unsure:

Two questions,first,how much work is required to keep it in good condition

and second,will anyone be able to take any pictures of 9799 in the future? :unsure:

9799 has a few issues that I plan to work on in the near future. It's not too hard to keep it running though. That is the nice thing about buses of that era... no computers, everything is manual (engine, transmission, etc). As for pictures, that is the whole point of having it, to enjoy it and have fun. That is one of my favorite things to do... drive around and pose the bus for pictures.

9799 has a few issues that I plan to work on in the near future. It's not too hard to keep it running though. That is the nice thing about buses of that era... no computers, everything is manual (engine, transmission, etc). As for pictures, that is the whole point of having it, to enjoy it and have fun. That is one of my favorite things to do... drive around and pose the bus for pictures.

Amen that TH8....no fancy big worded parts of a New Flyer to fight with to get it working properly!

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Was down in Crest Hill friday afternoon, strolled around the yard. Seen #4550 and the old Flxible #8715. I do have a couple questions,is the other Flxible that is painted as a mobile voter bus #8573? It has that number in the run box. There is also a Twin Coach with #8476 in the run box but the front is painted in non CTA colors. And lastly, where is #9799?

Was down in Crest Hill friday afternoon, strolled around the yard. Seen #4550 and the old Flxible #8715. I do have a couple questions,is the other Flxible that is painted as a mobile voter bus #8573? It has that number in the run box. There is also a Twin Coach with #8476 in the run box but the front is painted in non CTA colors. And lastly, where is #9799?

The voter bus is #8573. The Flxible/Twin #8476 was CTA/Evanston bus #0.

• 1 year later...

At least we recognize one of the drivers. But what was rattling so bad?

Could be many things... it's a 35 year old bus. I know according to those speaking in the video, it needs brake work soon, and sounds like power steering work as well by the moaning noise(best way I could describe it) while being turned and driven.