Shorter Trains

trainman8119

I am glad to see that someone at the CTA has finally realized that running 8 car trains 1/2 empty in non rush periods costs money. Over the past week, I have noticed that Orange and Brown midday and Blue (at least after evening rush) are back to running 4 car trains. Seeing those 8 car trains running almost totally empty drove me nuts.

Can't tell if there are any adjustments on the Red. What I have seen during the day hasn't changed, and I haven't been around during an off peak time to see what they are running.

I am glad to see that someone at the CTA has finally realized that running 8 car trains 1/2 empty in non rush periods costs money. Over the past week, I have noticed that Orange and Brown midday and Blue (at least after evening rush) are back to running 4 car trains. Seeing those 8 car trains running almost totally empty drove me nuts.

Can't tell if there are any adjustments on the Red. What I have seen during the day hasn't changed, and I haven't been around during an off peak time to see what they are running.

I noticed that yesterday [5/25/2008] the Blue line was running 8 cars around 4:30pm or so.

Today I saw 8 cars running on the Red. Recently I've seen 4 cars on the Red in the relatively early evening. I can't quite figure it out yet.

I usually would see 4 car operations start on the Blue Line heading toward O'Hare at approximately 8:30 in the evening weekdays and on the Red northbound passing through Roosevelt starting at approximately 10:30pm. Has it started earlier now on the Blue Line? Until a few years ago I remember that I would only see longer trains on the Brown and Orange Lines during rush hour. It interesting to find out that the CTA has gone back to this practice. I didn't quite get longer trains on these two lines during weekday nonpeak hours myself.

I usually would see 4 car operations start on the Blue Line heading toward O'Hare at approximately 8:30 in the evening weekdays and on the Red northbound passing through Roosevelt starting at approximately 10:30pm. Has it started earlier now on the Blue Line? Until a few years ago I remember that I would only see longer trains on the Brown and Orange Lines during rush hour. It interesting to find out that the CTA has gone back to this practice. I didn't quite get longer trains on these two lines during weekday nonpeak hours myself.

Yeah I don't get it either. Back like 4 - 6 years ago, they kept 6 car Red Line trains for the whole day on Sundays/Holidays, wonder why they stopped following that practice, perhaps it's the increased ridership? :huh:

I saw the Blue Line with 4 cars as I came in the Kennedy today. I was like wow, finally...they can now have 3 empty cars instead of 7! Running 8-car trains out to Forest Park is just ludicrous...I hardly ever see more than a handful or riders.

One thing you have to remember is that the Blue Line trains that were running eight cars with only one car full were the Blue Line 54/Cermak trains, which for the next five months at least no longer exist, not the Forest Park trains. Forest Park trains have never really run close to empty. Eight car trains may not always be justified outside of the weekday rush periods, but Forest Park trains usually have a good enough number of riders to need 4 cars minimum. From your one car full reference, I think you were getting your Blue Line branches confused. During evening rush especially, those outbound eight car Forest Park trains had each car pretty well utilized. What part of the Kennedy did you observe this train? Because by the time the trains get to the Eisenhower, I see them with well more than just a handful of riders. I never see a Forest Park train with just a handful of people unless it's close to the Forest Park terminal.

One thing you have to remember is that the Blue Line trains that were running eight cars with only one car full were the Blue Line 54/Cermak trains, which for the next five months at least no longer exist, not the Forest Park trains. Forest Park trains have never really run close to empty. Eight car trains may not always be justified outside of the weekday rush periods, but Forest Park trains usually have a good enough number of riders to need 4 cars minimum. From your one car full reference, I think you were getting your Blue Line branches confused. During evening rush especially, those outbound eight car Forest Park trains had each car pretty well utilized. What part of the Kennedy did you observe this train? Because by the time the trains get to the Eisenhower, I see them with well more than just a handful of riders. I never see a Forest Park train with just a handful of people unless it's close to the Forest Park terminal.

No, I don't believe I am getting anything mixed up. During the rush, yes, 8 cars are needed on the Forest Park branch. Outside of the rush period I rarely see enough people on a train to fill even 1 car...yet they still run 8-car trains. The O'Hare branch gets pretty well utilized during the rush as well, but I think they could shrink the runs down to 6- or 4- cars during off-peak hours. The 54/Cermak run on the Blue Line was only during the rush anyways until it got discontinued. I'm talking about off-peak runs with 8-car trains with enough people to barely fill one car.

I saw the train around Irving Park outbound with 4-cars, barely anyone on it.

No, I don't believe I am getting anything mixed up. During the rush, yes, 8 cars are needed on the Forest Park branch. Outside of the rush period I rarely see enough people on a train to fill even 1 car...yet they still run 8-car trains. The O'Hare branch gets pretty well utilized during the rush as well, but I think they could shrink the runs down to 6- or 4- cars during off-peak hours. The 54/Cermak run on the Blue Line was only during the rush anyways until it got discontinued. I'm talking about off-peak runs with 8-car trains with enough people to barely fill one car.

I saw the train around Irving Park outbound with 4-cars, barely anyone on it.

Ok, that makes a little more sense to me, but just to let you know on the Forest Park branch, even in non-peak hours, the trains are not empty on my end (Forest Park branch) to the level that you see on the O'Hare branch. I'll agree 8 car trains didn't make sense during no peak hours which is why I also thought it was a waste to go from the 4 car non-peak trains as in the 90s and run 8 car trains all day weekdays as started a few years ago. I'm glad to hear that the older practice was brought back.

Yeah I don't get it either. Back like 4 - 6 years ago, they kept 6 car Red Line trains for the whole day on Sundays/Holidays, wonder why they stopped following that practice, perhaps it's the increased ridership? :huh:

Apparently, I saw this past weekend that the Red Line was running 6 car trains on both Saturday and Sunday. It was a weird change considering there weren't as much space as it was with 8 cars.

Ok, that makes a little more sense to me, but just to let you know on the Forest Park branch, even in non-peak hours, the trains are not empty on my end (Forest Park branch) to the level that you see on the O'Hare branch.

Interesting...I see almost empty outbound trains at UIC-Halsted during non-rush...wonder where all the riders get on.

Interesting...I see almost empty outbound trains at UIC-Halsted during non-rush...wonder where all the riders get on.

Let me clarify, with 8 car trains they seemed empty in nopeak hours, but I don't often see that whenever there are 4 car operations. These have have been late evening and some owl periods that I've ridden or observed observed the train.

Let me clarify, with 8 car trains they seemed empty in nopeak hours, but I don't often see that whenever there are 4 car operations. These have have been late evening and some owl periods that I've ridden or observed observed the train.

Ahh...we are on the same page now. :D

Ahh...we are on the same page now. :D

Yes. And noticed I said the 8 car trains seemed empty. However, if the 4 car trains aren't empty to a point of of just being a handful of passengers, then the eight car trains had more than a handful. They were just scattered through the train when there were eight cars. If there were only handfuls of passengers there would have been more scaling back beyond just cutting the number of cars in the train in half. We can agree that there was a waste in resources that has now been taken care of.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of shorter trains, I see the Brown line has gone back to 2 car trains for downtown service in the late evening. I rode one Tuesday evening at about 11pm. Before this week, I wouldn't see 2 car trains on the Brown Line until the shuttle service to Belmont.

• 5 months later...

Today, this is unusual for a Sunday:

Of all of the 'L' lines serving downtown on Sundays, I saw 8-car trains running on the Brown and Orange Lines (normally, Sunday trains on those two lines are only 4 cars long), while the Green and Pink Lines are still running 4-car trains. (It should be noted, however, that until tomorrow morning the Green Line has its service suspended between the Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT stations, while the Orange Line runs single-tracked between the Roosevelt and Halsted stations - all due to track maintenance work.) Both of the subway lines (Blue and Red) also run 8-car trains during the day today.

In an unrelated development, the borrowed Brown line 3300s/3400s are back on the Green Line (though not running; they are laid up at Harlem Yard): 3313-3314, 3317-3318, 3381-3382, 3433-3434, 3445-3446, 3449-3450 and 3451-3452. (With the official reassignment of the Yellow Line 3400's to the Brown Line during this past summer, the Yellow Line now runs entirely with 2600-series equipment.) It could be a matter of time before a handful of these cars becomes permanently assigned to the Green Line, given the deteriorating condition of the 2400-series cars the Green Line normally uses.

Today, this is unusual for a Sunday:

Of all of the 'L' lines serving downtown on Sundays, I saw 8-car trains running on the Brown and Orange Lines (normally, Sunday trains on those two lines are only 4 cars long), while the Green and Pink Lines are still running 4-car trains. And in an unrelated situation, the borrowed Brown line 3300s/3400s are back on the Green Line (though not running; they are laid up at Harlem Yard): 3313-3314, 3317-3318, 3381-3382, 3433-3434, 3445-3446, 3449-3450 and 3451-3452.

I saw that same practice Saturday Morning. Since the Orange Line is single tracking right near the Junction at State Street, they've been running 8 car trains to accomodate the passengers, as they're running less frequently. The inbound trains have to wait until the outbound trains go through. Also the Green Line trains are terminating at Roosevelt & Wabash from Harlem (Question, when did they change the Green Line Sign from "Harlem/Lake" to just "Harlem"?) and starting the further south trips at 35th because of the related track maintenance.

I don't really know the reason why the Brown Line is running 8-cars, unless my guess would be there also doing or did have a Single Track for both Red & Brown Line trains this weekend using the northbound Brown Line Tracks between Diversey & Belmont.

I saw that same practice Saturday Morning. Since the Orange Line is single tracking right near the Junction at State Street, they've been running 8 car trains to accommodate the passengers, as they're running less frequently. The inbound trains have to wait until the outbound trains go through. Also the Green Line trains are terminating at Roosevelt & Wabash from Harlem (Question, when did they change the Green Line Sign from "Harlem/Lake" to just "Harlem"?) and starting the further south trips at 35th because of the related track maintenance.

I don't really know the reason why the Brown Line is running 8-cars, unless my guess would be there also doing or did have a Single Track for both Red & Brown Line trains this weekend using the northbound Brown Line Tracks between Diversey & Belmont.

The Green Line signs (Harlem, Cottage Grove), along with the others of the same roller curtain, were changed several months back. The Red Line sign (95th), along with the others of that same curtain, were changed just a little under a month ago.

That also depends on which set the Red Line uses currently. (Photos by user ryanbytes)

UPDATE: I think there may be more than just these 2 sets of roller curtains, since I noticed either set does not contain the Yellow or Purple Line destinations.

(With the official reassignment of the Yellow Line 3400's to the Brown Line during this past summer, the Yellow Line now runs entirely with 2600-series equipment.)

I guess it depends on your definition of "entirely." Yellow Line was running with 3200s on Friday night. It was running 3200s when I rode it a few weeks ago. I saw 3200s at Howard yard this afternoon (Yellow Line not running today, presumably due to continuation of grade crossing work in Skokie).

Slightly Off-Topic

Has anybody seen this year's Holiday Train?(Cars 2891-2898 + Flatbed Car) Have they skimped on the decoration in anyway than in years past due to the bad economy at this time?

I was southbound on the Red Line 11/22/2008 around 7:30pm or so and saw it northbound near Bryn Mawr [iIRC]. While driving southbound on the Dan Ryan I saw it heading north last night around 8:00pm or so near 71st.

I guess it depends on your definition of "entirely." Yellow Line was running with 3200s on Friday night. It was running 3200s when I rode it a few weeks ago. I saw 3200s at Howard yard this afternoon (Yellow Line not running today, presumably due to continuation of grade crossing work in Skokie).

There were a few 3200's still left at Howard Yard - the 3200/2600 mismatch numbered 3457-3458 and a few miscellaneous 3200s.

In an unrelated development, the borrowed Brown line 3300s/3400s are back on the Green Line (though not running; they are laid up at Harlem Yard): 3313-3314, 3317-3318, 3381-3382, 3433-3434, 3445-3446, 3449-3450 and 3451-3452. (With the official reassignment of the Yellow Line 3400's to the Brown Line during this past summer, the Yellow Line now runs entirely with 2600-series equipment.) It could be a matter of time before a handful of these cars becomes permanently assigned to the Green Line, given the deteriorating condition of the 2400-series cars the Green Line normally uses.

I still doubt all of the 3200s have been removed from the Yellow Line, if not some of them to the Green Line; I saw 3451 - 3452 just last Monday working at Howard, and saw 3447 - 3448 and 3449 - 3450 at Library on the Brown Line on that same day. But given the notion that CTA has the tendency to move stuff around, who knows what can happen in a week's time.

I still doubt all of the 3200s have been removed from the Yellow Line, if not some of them to the Green Line; I saw 3451 - 3452 just last Monday working at Howard, and saw 3447 - 3448 and 3449 - 3450 at Library on the Brown Line on that same day. But given the notion that CTA has the tendency to move stuff around, who knows what can happen in a week's time.

Any ideas/thoughts/reasons that they 3200s were removed from the Yellow Line and moved to the Green?

How many 3200s were assigned to the Yellow Line anyway?

Any ideas/thoughts/reasons that they 3200s were removed from the Yellow Line and moved to the Green?

This situation is temporary, since the Green line's 2400s have apparently started to break down again...

How many 3200s were assigned to the Yellow Line anyway?

Supposedly, 10. However, with those 3200s being moved around, 2600s from the Howard Yard normally assigned to the Red Line have been doing runs on the Yellow Line as fill-ins.