#4000 Arrives

Kevin

Probably so. I mentioned that I was on a Sheridan-Belmont trip about about 4:00 p.m., but today, that pulldown doesn't even exist on BusTracker. Going southbound, 4003 shows up where I physically saw it, and pretty much consistently shows up there on BusTracker.

post-14-1228429169_thumb.jpg

Update: The pulldown first appeared at about 4:30 with 7564. Also, it appears that 4008 is back on 156 from the press conference.

#4011 was out on this morning's Bustracker on the #156. Now they need to update the arrival of #4007. Thanks to ryanbytes at least we know it exists at NP of all places. It seems #4000 deliveries are really coming in quickly, but they could be making up for lost time having not delivered for 2 months after they were supposed to begin. They should've been up to 40 by mid December, however their quickly closing in on that gap. Looks like they'll meet the July 2009 deadline after all.

When i checked my "dashboard" for the weather this morning I noticed 4015 on 147, IIRC that's a faster route right? I'd like to ride a 4000 on a fast route next time i'm in town..
It is faster if you are basically riding between Foster and Water Tower Place (north Michigan Ave.); extremely slow on its inner and outer extremities, especially during rush hour.

I just rode on 4025 tonight on the 147 back from work; my first ride on a 4000 series. What glorious relief from the spine-shattering, rattling 7500s that the 147 almost exclusively employs. I ride the 7500s every day to and from work, and I've memorized almost every major bump along the way so i can lift my butt off the seat an inch in anticipation of the worst bumps. Of course, it's only really bad on the 7500s with a screwy suspension, but that's often the case, and the worst are those with completely collapsed air springs in the back.

4025 was solid (expected of a brand new bus), and every jarring bump I'm used to cringing at was a a mere vibration. It was even pillowy-soft through the viaduct entrance to LSD from Michigan, including the massive frost heave just after the viaduct.

I have to say, though, that I expected a somewhat quieter, smoother powertrain than the 7500s or even the 1000s. Not so. The LSD run on the 147 is a good way to experience the maximum capabilities of any bus's engine and transmission. Many drivers floor it from the entrance ramp right up to the RPM limiter in top gear, traffic permitting. Today's 4025 driver had a heavy foot. While the quiet and torquey shove of power from a standing start is nice, at 15 MPH or so, the diesel is roaring away. Nothing wrong with that, but the vibration (sitting in a rearmost seat) is surprisingly intense, and it only gets worse as speed increases. And once underway on the fast LSD run, the transmission wine is shockingly loud, increasing in decibel and pitch with speed, and reaching a piercing shriek at high speed. And then there's what I assume is the braking regeneration. Once the driver lifts the throttle at higher speeds and coasts to a lower speed, what sounds like an enormous fan spools up and fills the rear cabin with a very loud whir.

I'm certainly not complaining. The seats are comfy (same as the 1000s), the chassis feels solid, the ride is cushy, and I happen to like that slightly astringent "new bus" smell.

Let's hope these buses don't deteriorate the way the 7500s have in just a few years.

Question: Anyone know which engine the CTA selected for this bus? The NewFlyer brochure only lists the ISL rated at 330 HP (1000 series 280 HP rating) for the hybrid, but I wonder if the CTA went for same engine rating as they did in 1000s, since the electric motor is supposed to provide extra power throughout the speed range, and the 7500s make do with the DD 50 series rated at 280 HP or so, and don't feel particularly slow once the turbo is spooled up.

For what its worth (and probably very little these days), the CTA Press Release says "The bus has a smaller engine than traditional articulated buses. It uses the same low-emission engine that is used in CTA's newest 40-foot buses."

Also, we see where Hilkevitch got the bit about bus preheaters. It must be an easy job to just ape press releases.

Question: Anyone know which engine the CTA selected for this bus? The NewFlyer brochure only lists the ISL rated at 330 HP (1000 series 280 HP rating) for the hybrid, but I wonder if the CTA went for same engine rating as they did in 1000s, since the electric motor is supposed to provide extra power throughout the speed range, and the 7500s make do with the DD 50 series rated at 280 HP or so, and don't feel particularly slow once the turbo is spooled up.

It's been mentioned a few times that they have the Cummins ISL rated at 330 bhp.

Also your NABI's have the Series 50EGR (the Exhaust Gas Recirculation feature was added n the design of the S50 in 2001 for EPA requirements) rated at 320 bhp, there's no way any artic could be powered with a engine only rated at 280 bhp as that's standard for 40 footers.

It's been mentioned a few times that they have the Cummins ISL rated at 330 bhp.

Also your NABI's have the Series 50EGR (the Exhaust Gas Recirculation feature was added n the design of the S50 in 2001 for EPA requirements) rated at 320 bhp, there's no way any artic could be powered with a engine only rated at 280 bhp as that's standard for 40 footers.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the DD series 50 was available at a higher HP rating, though as it's a discontinued engine (i think), there's not much info to be had via the usual internet prowling.

And 280 HP seemed pretty low for an artic. Thanks for clearing that up.

They (4010, 4011, 4021, 4025, 4027) are showing up on BusTracker, also it appears that they are no longer limited to rush hour.

post-14-1228753089_thumb.jpgpost-14-1228753121_thumb.jpg

post-14-1228753142_thumb.jpgpost-14-1228753176_thumb.jpg

There's been a couple here and there that have been around for the midday. (last few weeks) What i'm more interested in is are these buses running at night. When is it there bedtime. ( recharge ) :lol:

There's been a couple here and there that have been around for the midday. (last few weeks) What i'm more interested in is are these buses running at night. When is it there bedtime. (recharge ) :lol:
Since 147 and 156 are not owl routes, there won't be a quick answer.

Pretty much this becomes academic, until such time as one is assigned to an owl or close to owl route (such as Halsted). In any event, do articulateds go out at night, now, anyhow? Might be a more pertinent question with regard to 800s or 900s.

Does not seem to me that the buses are in need of any recharge as they are being mixed in with the NABI's at night. The bus recharges while it brakes. So not much need of an outlet at night!

What you say may not be necessarily true because from I've seen, the 4000s that got mixed in at night with NABIs were not in service earlier that given day. Those buses I've seen in service during the early part of the day got pulled into the garage between the start and end of PM rush or some similar time if it were the weekend. Evening runs by 4000s got rotated into service similar to what happens with the 1000s when the 147 has all artics up through PM rush and ends up having a number of 1000s in service starting in mid evening through the end of service for the route in late evening.

Does not seem to me that the buses are in need of any recharge as they are being mixed in with the NABI's at night. The bus recharges while it brakes. So not much need of an outlet at night!
Here is a reference to a DesignLine article (where I first read about plugging in) on the need to recharge. Of course they use a different system (series and a turbine engine), but the principle seems to be the same that regenerative braking is not enough, by itself, to get the job done.

I asked around the yard today and asked if any of the buses need to be recharged. The bus does not need a recharge. Similar to a hybrid car. And I know for a fact that similar 40' models of new flyer out in CA(OCTA, Long Beach, Gardena,Commerce) do not get any recharge. When they do, they pull out all the batteries and charge them.

On another note 4019 is here and also 4029, both at NP!!

Wouldn't be the first time that a CTA Press Release was wrong. :wub: On the other hand, we'll see in a week if the batteries are drained. <_< To flip again, the Release said that the plug in feature was there, not necessarily that it was being used.

And, apparently 4019 finally passed QA inspection.

The ECOSaver uses batteries to run an electric motor rather than the standard diesel engine of CTA’s current hybrids. When the batteries lose power, a small turbine engine turns on to recharge the batteries. The turbine engine shuts down as the batteries continue to power the bus. This hybrid configuration produces lower emissions than other hybrids and also reduces noise pollution

#4032 was on the #26 last friday. It had the taco bell tone on it. Also #1934 was on the #14 along with #1935 on the #2. Both have the new seating configuration mentioned in the New Flyers 1000's thread. I'm a bit surprised 103rd is still receiving evens, now that there no 40 footers to replace. Something a bit odd that I saw #1620 was on the #2, but it could've just been in for maintenance and was ran as an extra bus for 77th. Also #6462 was on the #6. Now the TMC's must really be on life support if you add all the new arrivals at 77th all that could be left are up to 6.

Is it me or is the first half of the 4000s(the part in front of the accordian) shorter than the first half of the 7500s? Thus that would make the rear of the 4000s (the part behind the accordian) longer than the 2nd half of the NABIs.

The first time I saw a 4000, I thought the same thing. However, I figured out that it is

an optical illusion, and here is why. On the 4000's the last two windows in front of the

accordian are shorter, as if they were part of the rear high floor area. This gives the

front part of the bus the appearance that it is shorter, with the longer end in the rear.

However, when you look at the number of total windows, and compare that with a NABI,

then look at the bus again, you will see that it is the same size front and back.