6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

9 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Only 125 6400's got mew cd's. This was what 6 months ago. None that were at 6 or C at that time did.

You lost me somewhere, 6 specifically got the #6800's and became one of the first garages to have all new ones. A few of the novas at Chicago got some too, maybe 50 percent of the novas at least.

6 minutes ago, Dawnlight said:

Now that Chicago has no 6400's left, what else will FG get as they retire their 6400's? Will CTA halt the retirement of these buses until the 8200's arrive? :P 

I haven't seen much in the way of retirements. I think they are rotating some out of service for little repairs to keep them roadworthy for awhile longer. Those that are too costly to repair(dead motor, conked out transmission, etc...) will probably just be "parked" until they are green-lighted to be sent to South Shops to be stripped of certain reusable parts(farebox, Ventra reader, Clever Device box, etc...) and the rest will sit until towed to a junkyard.

For example, I see #6581 has been sitting out of service at FG for almost 2 months, and that bus may be just waiting to be sent to South Shops where it will be stripped and eventually junked. Most likely too much cost/manpower to repair.

18 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I haven't seen much in the way of retirements. I think they are rotating some out of service for little repairs to keep them roadworthy for awhile longer. Those that are too costly to repair(dead motor, conked out transmission, etc...) will probably just be "parked" until they are green-lighted to be sent to South Shops to be stripped of certain reusable parts(farebox, Ventra reader, Clever Device box, etc...) and the rest will sit until towed to a junkyard.

For example, I see #6581 has been sitting out of service at FG for almost 2 months, and that bus may be just waiting to be sent to South Shops where it will be stripped and eventually junked. Most likely too much cost/manpower to repair.

Is some 6400's from Forest Glen are coming back to Chicago Ave garage or is FG going to be the last garage to have those buses before they all officially retired?

11 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

Is some 6400's from Forest Glen are coming back to Chicago Ave garage or is FG going to be the last garage to have those buses before they all officially retired?

Not likely... FG will probably be the final garage assignment for the 6400's. Their full retirement should be by the end of 2016 for sure.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

FG was pretty much being a toilet for 6400's as other garages got new 7900's delivered. It's gonna be very interesting of what CTA will do now that there are no more 6400's to send to FG. If any garage has excessive 1000's, those would probably be the ones FG will get.

• Upvote 2

Forest Glen could go one of three ways in 2016....

• Getting 8200-8324 in the final option of the 7900-Series Nova LFS order and that's it..... they operate with 125 buses only, which seems a bit low.
  • Getting 8200-8324 and getting an equal or almost equal mix of New Flyers, putting FG at 200-250 buses.
  • Getting 200-250 New Flyers.

Whichever route they go, the 6400's will begin retirement in 2016 and probably be all retired by end of year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Not likely... FG will probably be the final garage assignment for the 6400's. Their full retirement should be by the end of 2016 for sure.

I believe back in late 2000 15 years ago, 77th garage were the 1st garage to have the 6400's and about 15-16 years later Forest Glen could possibly be the last to have those buses. I wish it be both Chicago Ave and Forest Glen or either one. I remember about in late 2008-Jan 2009 7 years ago, Chicago Ave garage were the last garage to have 5300 series Flexible Buses before they all had retired

Edited by ChiTown

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Forest Glen could go one of three ways in 2016....

• Getting 8200-8324 in the final option of the 7900-Series Nova LFS order and that's it..... they operate with 125 buses only, which seems a bit low.
  • Getting 8200-8324 and getting an equal or almost equal mix of New Flyers, putting FG at 200-250 buses.
  • Getting 200-250 New Flyers.

Whichever route they go, the 6400's will begin retirement in 2016 and probably be all retired by end of year.

• It isn't going to operate with 125 buses when all garages operate with at least 250.
  • Indications are that 6400s will not all be retired by the end of 2016 because:
    • Of the budget indicating the later purchase of 25-50 electric buses or something else. The budget says "... FY 2016-2020 funding of $22 million will support the purchase of up to 50 electric or clean diesel buses (page 70)."
    • Based on the budgeted amount for 2016 (84 buses) the deliveries of 8200s won't be done in 2016. The budget also says "The delivery of the entire 425 Nova bus order will be complete by the first quarter of 2017 (also page 70)."

12 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I remember about in late 2008-Jan 2009 7 years ago, Chicago Ave garage were the last garage to have 5300 series Flexible Buses before they all had retired

If it was, it was only by chance, since they were falling apart all over the system (77, 103, K. C. A) by then.

17 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I believe back in late 2000 15 years ago, 77th garage were the 1st garage to have the 6400's and about 15-16 years later Forest Glen could possibly be the last to have those buses. I wish it be both Chicago Ave and Forest Glen or either one. I remember about in late 2008-Jan 2009 7 years ago, Chicago Ave garage were the last garage to have 5300 series Flexible Buses before they all had retired

• I believe I answered Question #1 already.... I don't know why you repeated it again.
  • I did say FG will most likely be the last assignment for the 6400-Series Novas, so I don't understand why you are saying both Chicago Ave and Forest Glen or either one. Forest Glen is most likely the final home of the 6400's, which falls under your wish so-to-speak.

2 minutes ago, sw4400 said:
  • I believe I answered Question #1 already.... I don't know why you repeated it again.
  • I did say FG will most likely be the last assignment for the 6400-Series Novas, so I don't understand why you are saying both Chicago Ave and Forest Glen or either one. Forest Glen is most likely the final home of the 6400's, which falls under your wish so to speak.

I been figuring that FG would probably be the last ones to have 6400's. I have no problem with that. It's cool that FG would be the retirement home of those buses. As of right now, they only have those buses. I almost feel sorry for FG garage in a way. I think it's weird that FG don't have any 1000's New Flyers and just the 6400's Novas

10 minutes ago, ChiTown said:

I been figuring that FG would probably be the last ones to have 6400's. I have no problem with that. It's cool that FG would be the retirement home of those buses. As of right now, they only have those buses. I almost feel sorry for FG garage in a way. I think it's weird that FG don't have any 1000's New Flyers and just the 6400's Novas

They have before..... I think somewhere in the ballpark of 30-50. Mostly 1100-1200 range, though some upper 1000's.

CTA1198Milwaukee-Central.jpg

The destination signs are terrible at fg, some buses you can't even see what bus it is. #6643 was one of those buses, no signs were working rear, front or side and it wasn't even showing up on bustracker. It's no wonder it only had 2 riders. Then you have buses that are stuck on fg garage destination and when they are on pullin streets, you can't really tell if they are in service or not. I swear some buses pull up and you are on blind faith whether it will stop or not. If it passes you, I guess it was going to the garage.

BTW, I spotted #6510, #6594, #6641, #6643 all without updated clever devices so that's quite a few buses on my list now, at least more than I thought it was.  It might be reasonably 40-50 buses.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:
  • It isn't going to operate with 125 buses when all garages operate with at least 250.
  • Indications are that 6400s will not all be retired by the end of 2016 because:
    • Of the budget indicating the later purchase of 25-50 electric buses or something else. The budget says "... FY 2016-2020 funding of $22 million will support the purchase of up to 50 electric or clean diesel buses (page 70)."
    • Based on the budgeted amount for 2016 (84 buses) the deliveries of 8200s won't be done in 2016. The budget also says "The delivery of the entire 425 Nova bus order will be complete by the first quarter of 2017 (also page 70)."

But with 125 new buses, it's close to equipping fg. That would probably retire an additional 60 buses. I think they will get the novas but keep the best of the old ones. We still don't know how the x routes are going to pan out equipment wise, but CTA likes to keep spare equipment so they just might let the old buses go for a small set of #1000's, maybe 60 buses, because then they are talking replacement of the last #6400 ones no earlier than 2018-19. 

I'm still betting that stage 1 of the 2016 6400 retirement is that FG will regain 1000s to make up for the ones they forfeited to 77th in 2014. They can finally retire the most out of shape 6400s. Once FG gets their Flyers back, stage 2 would be the delivery of the 8200s assuming FG even gets them. And they can slowly retire the remainder of their 6400s as the delivery of the 7900s comes to a close.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2015, 9:28:37, sw4400 said:

They have before..... I think somewhere in the ballpark of 30-50. Mostly 1100-1200 range, though some upper 1000's.

CTA1198Milwaukee-Central.jpg

Actually sw, I think the count averaged in the 60-65 range by the time 77th snatched them up for junk 6400s and was definitely much higher than 30.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Actually sw, I think the count averaged in the 60-65 range by the time 77th snatched them up for junk 6400s and was definitely much higher than 30.

That's most likely accurate. I don't recall keeping count, but I do remember 1089-1099, 1189-1199, and portions of 1200-1272 were assigned to FG before losing them to 77th.

8 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

That's most likely accurate. I don't recall keeping count, but I do remember 1089-1099, 1189-1199, and portions of 1200-1272 were assigned to FG before losing them to 77th.

Yeah, whatever wasn't at Kedzie in the 1200-1225 range was at FG with almost everything else up to 1272 at FG basically. 1248-52 and a I believe 1273-76 were a couple small subsets that floated between different garages including FG at a couple points.

8 hours ago, jajuan said:

Yeah, whatever wasn't at Kedzie in the 1200-1225 range was at FG with almost everything else up to 1272 at FG basically. 1248-52 and a I believe 1273-76 were a couple small subsets that floated between different garages including FG at a couple points.

The #1250's were at 103rd for awhile, practically during the whole rehab of the #1000's. I remember FG getting up to #1274 but then they were gone.

40 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The #1250's were at 103rd for awhile, practically during the whole rehab of the #1000's. I remember FG getting up to #1274 but then they were gone.

Yes. 1248-52 at first, and then 1252-6 is what I remember being at 103rd for an extended period.