6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Yeah but if you are saying the locals were in addition to the express fleet which was using the old standard service fleet, that still comes up to 5 buses an hour and #9 can be 2 hrs one way in the rush. ...

But I'm not saying that. What you have to do is compare how many buses were assigned to the local and express in 2009 compared to how many buses are on the route today. In any event, 20 buses don't explain the maybe 150 that should have been scrapped by now but have not (no reason given why essentially the green dot buses are still around).

Update: One should also consult TCMetro's post on the schedule, posted just after this post.

Edited by Busjack

Yeah, i understand the pessimism. You would think Fg would have something by now. We thought maybe they would get #1000's by now, but no CTA seems to be hoarding those. You would think that FG wouldn't be all old buses, but no CTA goes out of their way again to make this a possibility. Remember how the #6800's, as old as they already were, went to 74th!! So maybe I am dreaming of #8200's, but why send #7900's at all. If they want to maintain the status quo all they have to do is give them a fleet of #1000's. I don't know why CTA is stuck in the 60's when there was rampant discrimination and segregation, we have moved into modern times here. Frankly I'm surprised this is allowed to happen in our present times and no one has lost their job because of this. Can't anyone see the NW side is not getting a fair shake.

All I can say for the NW side is at least we have Pace which is not scared to put new buses here. Maybe one day they will take over more service on the nw side. If CTA continues to neglect and cut service here, that's what will happen. Usually when someone neglects something they eventually lose it. Really though the long term solution is a parent agency with new people making decisions uniformly as a unit instead of a couple people from the south side. There needs to be divisions of authority all around the city so everyone gets a fair shake, then you might solve this once and for all.

Well said Bus Hunter!!! :)

Well said Bus Hunter!!! :)

Yeah service was terrible yesterday on the #77. Buses were in packs, the eb had a 40 minute gap and the wb a 20. I was at the blue line saw this and decided to go shopping. I went shopping, then caught the 20 minute bus going west. (I was wanting to go east to start out to go to burger king) I went to Milwaukee/belmont's burger king instead, got something came out saw a #56 was due in 5 minutes (as my strategy was to get off belmont) and then after all that here comes the 3 belmonts going east just creeping along, not much riders. These buses are really looking tired and I wouldn't be surprised if the lateness wasn't a result of these slow turtle buses!! If CTA doesn't think these old buses have an effect on service, they need to come out to the nw side and see just what's happening out here. I was thinking it's a good thing they are not doing an #X80 because with the buses they have it would be an embarrassment!! xD

• Upvote 1

Yeah service was terrible yesterday on the #77. Buses were in packs, the eb had a 40 minute gap and the wb a 20. I was at the blue line saw this and decided to go shopping. I went shopping, then caught the 20 minute bus going west. (I was wanting to go east to start out to go to burger king) I went to Milwaukee/belmont's burger king instead, got something came out saw a #56 was due in 5 minutes (as my strategy was to get off belmont) and then after all that here comes the 3 belmonts going east just creeping along, not much riders. These buses are really looking tired and I wouldn't be surprised if the lateness wasn't a result of these slow turtle buses!! If CTA doesn't think these old buses have an effect on service, they need to come out to the nw side and see just what's happening out here. I was thinking it's a good thing they are not doing an #X80 because with the buses they have it would be an embarrassment!! xD

I wouldnt put all the blame on the aging equipment as much as I would the streets themselves.  Lately many streets around Chicago have become virtual parking lots!!!  You cant seem to get anywhere quick enough around the city because of the constant traffic.  I stopped using my car to go to work because of my commute from downtown to the far northwest side in the P.M.. The Kennedy Expy is almost always at a standstill!!!  Mainly because its the only expy route to the nw side and the NW suburbs. Its a nightmare!!! It wasant long before I started using the Metra UP/NW or the Blue Line to get home.  Its easier and faster!!! I buy a Ten Ride on Metra and I just recently activated my Ventra account. But best of all on Metra is bypassing all the Kennedy traffic when I catch either the 230p, 325p or the 405p train out of Ogilvie. I prefer Metra when theres a train that has a convenient time. I try to avoid the Blue Line for obvious reasons!  Sometimes I have no choice but to use it, riding those beat up L cars to Jefferson Pk and then having to ride a busted up Nova on the #68 NW Hwy to Norwood Park Metra to get my car. But the streets around the city are not good to travel anymore. I think theres been an large increase in traffic due to constant service changes and service cuts by CTA. People dont have the patience anymore!!!   

Edited by Guest

..I think theres been an large increase in traffic due to constant service changes and service cuts by CTA. People dont have the patience anymore!!!   

It's probably the concerted effort, especially by Emanuel, to get cars off the street. Does anyone think capacity is created by bike lanes and signals, putting a pedestrian crossing sign every 1/4 block, etc? Emanuel wants you to use Divvy and Uber,but if you can't afford it, slumming on the CTA.

There was a fire on Belmont a couple of days ago which reportedly messed up bus service, but I don't know if that's connected with BusHunter's complaints. To get back to the topic, if the new Clever Devices dispatch system is supposed to be the cure,but BusHunter says that the buses on Belmont don't have the equipment, something is incongruous there.

Bus moves over the weekend 11/6-7/15

Buses In at Forest Glenn = 6798 ,6799 ,6801 ,6802 ,6803 ,6804 ,6806 ,6807 ,6808 ,6810

Buses out at Chicago = 6798 ,6799 ,6801 ,6802 ,6803 ,6804 ,6806 ,6807 ,6808 ,6810

(Chicago has seven 6800's left)

Buses Placed into LTH = 6438 ,6548 ,6598 ,6609 ,6621 ,6632 ,6667 ,6774 ,6532 ,6880

• Upvote 3

It's probably the concerted effort, especially by Emanuel, to get cars off the street. Does anyone think capacity is created by bike lanes and signals, putting a pedestrian crossing sign every 1/4 block, etc? Emanuel wants you to use Divvy and Uber,but if you can't afford it, slumming on the CTA.

There was a fire on Belmont a couple of days ago which reportedly messed up bus service, but I don't know if that's connected with BusHunter's complaints. To get back to the topic, if the new Clever Devices dispatch system is supposed to be the cure,but BusHunter says that the buses on Belmont don't have the equipment, something is incongruous there.

There are a couple of adbenches on Milwaukee Av that say it all - "Driving is a sin". However, it does not seem to be working. Congestion, especially on the NW side, is getting worse and worse.

As for new CD screens, all buses that were at FG about September got the new screens. Those that came over from Chicago afterwards still have the small screens, but they have the same functions and capabilities as the big screens do, they just don't look the same. However, the capabilities are not being utilized. It is still "continue in service, supervisor will intercept".

Good point! Thank you!  The bike lanes that were seeing more and more of could be another issue were having to deal with that could be contributing to the traffic mess in this city. I see it in downtown everyday at work. Theyve compressed streets that were once wide open for cars and bus traffic are now choking because the lane reductions caused by bike lanes.  Im an avid bike rider but honestly I dont know how I feel about bike lanes and their possible contribution to the traffic mess in this city.One thing is for certain, this city has a serious traffic crisis on its hands!  I truly believe equal to if not worse than L.A.!  Lately, Ive never seen so much traffic clogging up our city streets and our freeways.  Its insane! 

...Those that came over from Chicago afterwards still have the small screens, but they have the same functions and capabilities as the big screens do, they just don't look the same. However, the capabilities are not being utilized. It is still "continue in service, supervisor will intercept".

So, as usual, the CTA PR department tries to sell the riding public a bill of goods, and despite whatever it cost to put in the computerized dispatch center, bus operations can't figure out how to improve operations.

Good point! Thank you!  The bike lanes that were seeing more and more of could be another issue were having to deal with that could be contributing to the traffic mess in this city. I see it in downtown everyday at work. Theyve compressed streets that were once wide open for cars and bus traffic are now choking because the lane reductions caused by bike lanes.  Im an avid bike rider but honestly I dont know how I feel about bike lanes and their possible contribution to the traffic mess in this city.One thing is for certain, this city has a serious traffic crisis on its hands!  I truly believe equal to if not worse than L.A.!  Lately, Ive never seen so much traffic clogging up our city streets and our freeways.  Its insane! 

Yeah, i hear you. When i'm in my car, cause i'm really close to the suburbs where i'm at, I just go to the suburbs for my business. I joke with my family that I don't even know what's going on towards the city when i do that cause i avoid it. I just don't like the side street speed humps, the speed cameras and red light ones. I joke also that only in Chicago someone can take a ride down the street and lose there license in one drive due to tickets. The traffic is a nightmare, but sometimes there's no choice. Any travel I do in the city is exclusively by CTA. Rahm and the streets and san need to look at Milwaukee, it's pothole city north of belmont. Maybe they are waiting to extend the milwaukee streetscape, but these old buses might fall apart first.

I don't really care for the bike lanes, and when the population is growing and multiple cars per family are the norm, you can see why were simply being squeezed out of space. Instead of increasing the road size it's shrinking. What does a bike lane do for anyone in the winter? Now that space is lost and your stuck in traffic. While making Chicago one of the most bike friendly places, they have sacrificed the traffic flow. It will eventually bite them in the rear. Maybe Rahm went to china and got inspired but he forgot in America we don't need to ride bikes, it's mostly for pleasure where there it's a necessity. 

Bus moves over the weekend 11/6-7/15

Buses In at Forest Glenn = 6798 ,6799 ,6801 ,6802 ,6803 ,6804 ,6806 ,6807 ,6808 ,6810

Buses out at Chicago = 6798 ,6799 ,6801 ,6802 ,6803 ,6804 ,6806 ,6807 ,6808 ,6810

(Chicago has seven 6800's left)

Buses Placed into LTH = 6438 ,6548 ,6598 ,6609 ,6621 ,6632 ,6667 ,6774 ,6532 ,6880

So they got rid of #6438??? o.O The heat problem might have been ok in the winter, but by spring they would've had to deal with it or scrap it. When i was on it, it was 70 degrees out, so that was the basis of my complaints. Don't know why they keep retiring newer buses, some are up to 2 years newer than the oldest ones. Hopefully if they do decide to keep 65 #6400's around they will be all the newer buses.

There are a couple of adbenches on Milwaukee Av that say it all - "Driving is a sin". However, it does not seem to be working. Congestion, especially on the NW side, is getting worse and worse.

As for new CD screens, all buses that were at FG about September got the new screens. Those that came over from Chicago afterwards still have the small screens, but they have the same functions and capabilities as the big screens do, they just don't look the same. However, the capabilities are not being utilized. It is still "continue in service, supervisor will intercept".

It's really sporadic, #6451, #6462 has updated clever devices, it just seems to be a handful of buses not equipped with updated devices, couldn't be more than 20-30 buses. I know they are all #6500's and below, but there might be a #6600 included. Fg though from my understanding is not yet part of the smart bus tracking pilot. But the budget did say all garages would in 2015, so those 30 buses days may be numbered.

Just wondering about something. Any update on the new land to expand FG ?? Might this be a reason that there is no new stuff going there ?

As for traffic, getting around the city right now is a joke. Rham has it so screwed up you cant move anywhere anyplace. Circle interchange messes up

3 expressways, new ramps off LSD to I55 mess up both of those. If that is not enough, lets decide to pave LSD downtown and shut down parts of it for a couple of days. East-West traffic in the loop is outrageous. Madison-Washington with the silly bus project there (how many times have there been bus lanes one way or another...the only difference are this outrageous looking shelter areas...totally unnecessary IMO). Bike lanes all over the place condense traffic further. Not enough, lets close Wabash so we can build a new L station. Now you need to fight a Washington or a Madison to get to State or Michigan to get around that. Still not enough....lets close Randolph between State and Dearborn for a week. Geez, no wonder downtown buses are screwed up. I often see a backlog of 4 Madison or 2 BI-26th together because nothing gets through. Furthermore, lets close a center lane here, a curb lane there so we can build a building, clean a sewer, sweep a street. Think of using lower Wacker to beat it...FORGET IT....reduced lanes there so trucks can use the right traffic lane to park....so they can totally rebuild what was already an acceptable Riverwalk. Then this goof is going to say the city has no money.

I guess all of this is what happens when you put either booksmart college kids with no practical experience (ignoring those in industries with practical knowhow) or political favorites holding positions not qualified for. It just gets worse all the time.

Sorry....rant over.  smh

Just wondering about something. Any update on the new land to expand FG ?? Might this be a reason that there is no new stuff going there ?

They bought the Pyramid building and the garden center, but the last I looked those were still there, but that wasn't lately.Anybody been by there?  However, if space were a concern, you wouldn't think they would be storing 280 junks there (if you buy the roster page).

They bought the Pyramid building and the garden center, but the last I looked those were still there, but that wasn't lately.Anybody been by there?  However, if space were a concern, you wouldn't think they would be storing 280 junks there (if you buy the roster page).

I don't know how they're cramming them in, but they must be if 280 are showing on the rosters(Maybe they park extras on Armstrong Ave?)

well I didn't yet update the LTH's so Its really 271.

Well, whether it's 280 or 271, it's still above the limits that were up on the chicagobus.org "Garages" page once before(I believe it was 250 or 230). So, the spares must be parked on Armstrong or on a neighboring street, unless the garage has more capacity than originally posted.

So will Forest Glen be the last CTA garage to have the 6400 series novas before they all will be retired in the near future?

In that it has been reported that the C buses are either being moved there or stripped of decals, sure, unless one wants to speculate about the 25-50 buses that might remain per the CTA budget out year capital plan saying that they would be replaced by electric or clean diesel buses some time before 2020.

In that it has been reported that the C buses are either being moved there or stripped of decals, sure, unless one wants to speculate about the 25-50 buses that might remain per the CTA budget out year capital plan saying that they would be replaced by electric or clean diesel buses some time before 2020.

Or Hybrid buses.

Is that true that the 6400 series novas might retire sometime around next year in 2016?

I'd be laughing if CTA purchased more electric buses.