6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Then they have alot of these flip dot #6400's, that will not flip the side sign so you can see where the bus is going. I was at Logan/Blue line and couldn't read the sign and the bus pulled off. (#6637) I tried to see where it was going but it was a ghost bus. I did later find out it went west, my bus. #6679 it's follower had the same issue. If the signs can't flip, why don't they just set it to say #76 to Nature Museum. Most riders should know what a #76 is.

The last always has been a problem with the TwinVision flip dot signs, and even some of the flip dot signs on 5800s. Since they are mechanical, the mechanical parts have probably worn out in the particular sign module.I thought Andre also mentioned that in the TwinVisions, the front and side signs are separately programmed. Most of the Pace 2401s at S pretty much froze on all green.

I believe I said that. There's lots of buses that are going to be out of service(some currently are... BusHunter reported that #6835 and #6839 haven't seen service since Feb. 2015). Those may be the two buses right there earmarked for Olive Harvey.

I was referring to the originally reported earmarked 6400.

Time will tell.... it's been off the active roster at FG for some time though. It might have a issue requiring too much cost to bother with(e.g: major engine component or transmission).

Perhaps but not necessarily based on past memory of how some former Kedzie Americanas were handled at the time the #82 got the accessible designation. Once that route was deemed accessible, roughly half the Americanas assigned at Kedzie left its roster through retirement or transfer to NP for use on 135, 136, 145 and 146. And I do remember that some of those Americanas that survived on a little longer by going to NP had sat on the sidelines at Kedzie close to the amount of time that 6400 was sidelined at FG.

send 6400s south and please send some 1000s up north to forest glen

us north side riders are sick and tired of riding the oldest buses and trains in the city

Even better, continue on with retiring off the relatively higher number of extras overall that are no longer needed that have piled up.

#6516 today had a good chunk of the front lower left side body panel broke off. It looked like Godzilla took a bite out of the bus. (It's about the size of a beach ball and you can see all the windshield washer containers and everything inside the bumper area.) I guess there is a void beneath the operator for fluids. I wish I had a picture of it cause that looked funny.

A few Novas are doing goofy things at FG. #6724 has where the rear door light will come on and off and the interlock will click, alot like the old fishbowls used to do. The interlocks not really working, the bus can pull off with the door open, but they have some buses like that. I never really saw that before with the clicking and on and off light and I've been on lots of Novas.

#6613 has this weird generator sound by the back door, also it's LED dot sign in the back just shows the left number. I saw it on the #90 displaying #9. I wish some #9's ran on Harlem!! :P

Then they have alot of these flip dot #6400's, that will not flip the side sign so you can see where the bus is going. I was at Logan/Blue line and couldn't read the sign and the bus pulled off. (#6637) I tried to see where it was going but it was a ghost bus. I did later find out it went west, my bus. #6679 it's follower had the same issue. If the signs can't flip, why don't they just set it to say #76 to Nature Museum. Most riders should know what a #76 is.

Were going to look into obtaining a Nova for the fire academy to replace our aging Flxible Metro.

Seems funny #6800 and #6809 never went to Chicago 2 weeks ago and haven't been seen in service at 74th either. I might have to add those to my #6400's need to repair/retired list. I thought #6800 was in pretty good condition. They had put all new seat inserts in it. At least it beats #6674, which I noticed someone punched or kicked a hole in the rear side interior, which has been covered over in masking tape.

I seen they changed the sign font on #6445 again. It looks really small now and you can barely make out the route number from the rear. That bus was equipped to run the newer type signs, I wonder why they just don't give it some new signs, along with #6428's front sign. It would look alot better.

I seen they changed the sign font on #6445 again. It looks really small now and you can barely make out the route number from the rear. That bus was equipped to run the newer type signs, I wonder why they just don't give it some new signs, along with #6428's front sign. It would look alot better.

As history indicates (except with the rehab of the 6000s), that isn't a priority when a bus is on the way to the shredder, even if it has been diverted from that itinerary.

A 6400 nova? Or a 7900? If its a 6400 nova, you might be better off with the Flxible :rolleyes::D

Now why would the Fire Academy get a 7900 man? In 2027 or after, maybe. But not now in 2015 when buses in that series are a year old or brand spanking new. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Couple more left under their own power from FG last night. They are not being laid up because there is something wrong with them, but apparently based on mileage.

#6421 must be pretty high, that's one the first novas they received. Plus we seem to be having buses from all over the spectrum disappear. Like what happened to #6835 and #6839. Their mileage has to be 30,000 lower at least than the pre #6709's.

#6421 must be pretty high, that's one the first novas they received. Plus we seem to be having buses from all over the spectrum disappear. Like what happened to #6835 and #6839. Their mileage has to be 30,000 lower at least than the pre #6709's.

As indicated by the simultaneous purge of the 4400s, 5300s, and 5800s, they don't go in order. 5300s were supposed to go first, but some of them lasted the longest. It probably depends on the service log, as opposed to being completely dead.

With the apparently random order rehabs of the 1000s, nobody is going to be able to bet anything in 2021.

Damn the #6830's are getting updated clever devices. Saw one on #6834 yesterday and today on #6833. This only buying 300 novas prophecy looks like it's coming true.

Umm not necessarily. Probably still nothing more than CTA making sure its buses have the same amenities while they are still in service. It's no different than when the 5300s got BusTracker when CTA saw they would still have some around a little longer than originally planned or the MAN Americanas getting bike racks in their final days when their final retirement was delayed at least nine months beyond what CTA reported the intent was to be as the 6400s were arriving.

• Upvote 3

Damn the #6830's are getting updated clever devices. Saw one on #6834 yesterday and today on #6833. This only buying 300 novas prophecy looks like it's coming true.

Umm not necessarily. Probably still nothing more than CTA making sure its buses have the same amenities while they are still in service. It's no different than when the 5300s got BusTracker when CTA saw they would still have some around a little longer than originally planned or the MAN Americanas getting bike racks in their final days when their final retirement was delayed at least nine months beyond what CTA reported the intent was to be as the 6400s were arriving.

That all depends on the Rauner cuts and if the RTA can convince the Government to lessen or eliminate those cuts altogether. CTA has 1,030 soon-to-be rehabbed New Flyers*, 308 New Flyer Articulated buses*, 10 New Flyer 40' Hybrid buses, and 300 soon-to-be Nova LFS buses. That might be enough equipment if cuts are forthcoming next year. No sense in exercising the 150 option if there isn't enough routes or service to utilize them, and after spending millions on the New Flyer rehabs, they aren't going to mothball some to get 150 brand new Novas.

1,600 buses might be enough equipment if the cuts are bad enough(though nothing is on the table yet, but the possibility is there)

*=Some buses may be retired due to accidents or other reasons

That all depends on the Rauner cuts and if the RTA can convince the Government to lessen or eliminate those cuts altogether. CTA has 1,030 soon-to-be rehabbed New Flyers*, 308 New Flyer Articulated buses*, 10 New Flyer 40' Hybrid buses, and 300 soon-to-be Nova LFS buses. That might be enough equipment if cuts are forthcoming next year. No sense in exercising the 150 option if there isn't enough routes or service to utilize them, and after spending millions on the New Flyer rehabs, they aren't going to mothball some to get 150 brand new Novas.

1,600 buses might be enough equipment if the cuts are bad enough(though nothing is on the table yet, but the possibility is there)

*=Some buses may be retired due to accidents or other reasons

I say they should go after everything they can get because once Rauner's plan goes into full swing they'll be lucky to get anything. This going after a few electric buses instead of the 150 option is really nutty. They might be stuck with these old nova buses for quite some time.

So i was thinking, I wonder if those clever devices are off of #6485, #6486, #6690, #6800, #6809 because I haven't seen them. They could probably switch the equipment over. I think it was sort of short sighted to do #6400's anyway with the updated clever devices. They should've just put them on the original option amber post #6709's as that is what's mostly going to be kept around.

If they did decide to keep what is not being scrapped under a contract which is 275 buses or roughly what Fg can maintain fleet wise. (more like 250) Then that would leave Fg with all old Novas. Now if they completed the #1000's rehab and didn't hold onto spares for the #4000 rehab which is a real long shot, then Fg could possibly receive 100 NF's. That's better than nothing. Now if they did a cut this winter, we'll know probably by budget time. I see about 100 buses going, so while that's most likely old novas, whose to say that FG's bus total won't shrink because some of those cuts will be out of their garage. So basically that would put them back where they were two years ago when they had 60 NF's.

BTW, I saw #6482's hopper window tonight. It's no longer vertical. It's completely horizontal broke off it's hydraulic fasteners. I hope no one was sitting there when that happened at the transverse seats in the back or they got a real headache from that one!! :P