6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

I found out this week were getting a Nova in a couple of weeks, possibly either from NP or FG. to replace our CFD Flxible. The Flx which Id like to hopefully save and donate it, would go back to CTA and probably be scrapped. I would hate to say "Goodbye" to it!  :)  Today she goes back to Chicago Ave Garage. 

​I would hate to see #6163 go back into the CTA's possession just to get scrapped along with that old CFD Rts, It doesn't make sense that they don't preserve those two buses in some sort of fashion rather than scrap them for a quick buck........

I found out this week were getting a Nova in a couple of weeks, possibly either from NP or FG. to replace our CFD Flxible. The Flx which Id like to hopefully save and donate it, would go back to CTA and probably be scrapped. I would hate to say "Goodbye" to it!  :)  Today she goes back to Chicago Ave Garage. 

​I'd be surprised if you got a NP Nova, as they have none... :P

But a FG Nova is a possibility..... What about the New Flyer 5858(I believe is the number). Is it remaining in service or will a Nova soon replace it too?

My bad! Your right! NP dosent have them. I was told today that we will be making a trip to FG to pick out their best bus that we can have. The Flxible Im told may go into city auction. ExCTA #5858 is still in service and in use at Engine Co. #107 1101 S California.

Edited by Guest

My bad! Your right! NP dosent have them. I was told today that we will be making a trip to FG to pick out their best bus that we can have. The Flxible Im told may go into city auction. ExCTA #5858 is still in service and in use at Engine Co. #107 1101 S California.

​Where is the Ex CFD RTS at? 

Edited by qwantae

​Where is the Ex CFD RTS at? 

​The RTS was towed from one of our shops at 31st/Sacramento. The bus last I saw was sitting in the "Scrap" line at 77th.   

• 1 month later...

There are a ton of Novas in the back yard. If some already mentioned then I apologize. Here are some I've spotted:

#6851 #6628 #6690 #6625 #6499 #6405 #6407 #6555 #6492 #6440 #6753 #6478 #6538 #6403 #6719 #6436 #6483

I'll try to get more information about the rest of them if possible.

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

FG officially still has:

6439,41,42,44,46,49,51,52,55,58-62,70,71,73,74,77,79,80,82,84,88,95

6510,15,23,25,32-37,39,41-47,51,53,62,64-67,69,71-82,85,87-89,94,98

6600,03,05,06,09,13,17,20-23,27,29,30,32-34,36-38,41-43,46,57,59,62,65-69,72,72,74-84,87,92,95,97,98,99

6700-02,04-6,08,10-18,22,24,25,27-30,33,34,36,37,39,40,42-48,50-52,54,55,57-64,66-76,78,80-84,87,88,90-93

6805,09,11,12,14-20,23-28,31,33-38,40-44,47-50,52-63,65-67,69,70,73-78,80-83

• Upvote 3

Damn #6879 is really gone. I can put #6817 back in and give it another month to eliminate. #6809 is still on the roster? I'll have to look for #6510. #6464 to #6468 is still around 3/4 of them were transferred this weekend and showed up at the glen. But my list is pretty accurate and I did that with no roster just process of elimination. At least I know now it's pretty foolproof up to 95 percent anyway. Rosters are not always correct, they are only as good as the person processing the info.

• 4 weeks later...

I was shocked to learn today #6449 has a full sneeze guard. It had a few scratches on it. I couldn't tell if Chicago or 77th did it. So at least one Nova has one.

cta_6449_has_a_sneeze_guard_on_77.thumb.

Gotta wonder why they waited so late in this series' service life to do this even with the small possibility of at least 100 of them surviving at least one more year. At the very least they could have done this when 77th forked all theirs off on 74th, Chicago and FG.

Gotta wonder why they waited so late in this series' service life to do this even with the small possibility of at least 100 of them surviving at least one more year. At the very least they could have done this when 77th forked all theirs off on 74th, Chicago and FG.

From the picture, if the operator swung the guard, it would most likely run into a passenger on that first seat. There doesn't seem to be any sticky adhesive anywhere to keep the guard in a retracted position. So I guess the bus has to run with it's guard in place. Probably an experiment but they probably saw they couldn't do it unless they wanted to restrict that first bench seat. Pace seems to have no problem doing that.

From the picture, if the operator swung the guard, it would most likely run into a passenger on that first seat. There doesn't seem to be any sticky adhesive anywhere to keep the guard in a retracted position. So I guess the bus has to run with it's guard in place. Probably an experiment but they probably saw they couldn't do it unless they wanted to restrict that first bench seat. Pace seems to have no problem doing that.

Yeah valid point on that. That in turn brings back up the question of how long this bus has had this before one of transit forum members took notice.

Edited by jajuan
Corrected a typo from my phone double inputting a word (the joys of smart phones lol)

Having just engaged in a debate with a cable tv political pundit on the demerits of Claypool, I noted that the March CTA performance metrics were red on availability of buses for service. You think there is any connection between that and FG having 6400s?

Probably, question is are they counting in the metrics a missed run? Andre had said if a bus is filled, and then pulled out of service, then CTA counts that as an filled run.

BTW, i came across a FG bus that was BO., #6446. The AC was totally turned off, all the hopper windows were open, but yet I was trying to figure out how can it rain in the bus if no AC is running? Water was leaking on the left side handicapped area. At least it wasn't hot today, the bus actually felt good. You see all it takes is someone using their noodle and the bus will still function. It was actually cooler than #8106.

Probably, question is are they counting in the metrics a missed run? Andre had said if a bus is filled, and then pulled out of service, then CTA counts that as an filled run.

BTW, i came across a FG bus that was BO., #6446. The AC was totally turned off, all the hopper windows were open, but yet I was trying to figure out how can it rain in the bus if no AC is running? Water was leaking on the left side handicapped area. At least it wasn't hot today, the bus actually felt good. You see all it takes is someone using their noodle and the bus will still function. It was actually cooler than #8106.

The linked document says in the preface "The Average Daily Percent of BusFleet Unavailable for Service missed its target in March related to bus maintenance work being done to improve bus performance." It is a percentage of the bus fleet, not a percentage of the runs. BTW doesn't necessarily say "due to rehbs."

I don't see any metric for missed runs, unless it is somehow subsumed in the gap and bunching metrics, which are both red for Feb and red for bunching in March.

I dont understand why operators choose to continue operating a bus when it has a malfunction issue while in service. Ive seen operators still driving when an air ride bag is bad or no a/c int he bus when its a 90 degree day. When theres no a/c and its extremely hot out, that bus should be taken out of service.  

I dont understand why operators choose to continue operating a bus when it has a malfunction issue while in service. Ive seen operators still driving when an air ride bag is bad or no a/c int he bus when its a 90 degree day. When theres no a/c and its extremely hot out, that bus should be taken out of service.  

I bet it is a combination of there not being enough good spares (see the discussion of "unavailable fleet") and being measured against the clock in the Clever Device. Lack of a/c doesn't affect the latter.

Because it takes too long to get a replacement bus. If you have one trip to go before pulling in and the bus still moves, continue in service.

• Upvote 1

Because it takes too long to get a replacement bus. If you have one trip to go before pulling in and the bus still moves, continue in service.

Passenger safety should be the number #1 concern for every bus operator!  Thats why they are called "professionals"!  I would rather wait for a bus to be placed in service so that the passengers can be safe and comfortable. I know CTA maintenance isnt always the best! But god forbid a passenger with a medical condition passes out or worse because the conditions inside the bus were at an uncomfortable level. Not to mention also we live in a lawsuit hungry society!  The bus operator can be held responsible. Then you would have to ask yourself.... Would CTA and 241 back that operator up??? 

Edited by Guest

Passenger safety should be the number #1 concern for every bus operator!  Thats why they are called "professionals"!  I would rather wait for a bus to be placed in service so that the passengers can be safe and comfortable. I know CTA maintenance isnt always the best! But god forbid a passenger with a medical condition passes out or worse because the conditions inside the bus were at an uncomfortable level. Not to mention also we live in a lawsuit hungry society!  The bus operator can be held responsible. Then you would have to ask yourself.... Would CTA and 241 back that operator up??? 

I'm sure, based on your experience, that if there is a "medical emergency" someone will call the EMTs, which is the only duty here. Other than that, passenger comfort isn't a priority.

• Upvote 3

the operator can't be held responsible for something he can't control.  It's the mechanics job to make sure the air is working in the bus not the operators..as long as that bus is in good driving condition, no ac in a bus is not our fault. Now If it's blazing hot we can call it in to control but like andre said if you only got a trip left might as well finish that trip then pull it in the garage so they can take it from there.