6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Was on #6422 on sunday, that has got to be the worst bus at FG!! The brakes were squealing badly when it stopped, like it needed brake pads, just like the old fishbowls used to do. The ventilation system makes this strange whirling sound, which gets really annoying after a few miles and the seats were in terrible shape, they were all broken down. That's like three repairs at least. I think this bus was as bad or worse than the #6439 bus I saw at Chicago. Some of these buses are really shot!!

BTW, #6614 is back from south shops. I was on it on the #152 and it's out there today so it's back on the roster.

6422 also had a number of problems during its time at 74th.

6422 also had a number of problems during its time at 74th.

#6614 actually has an F sticker on it. South shops must have did that cause I think it's the only one like that. The #6800's at 74th seem to have F stickers too.

I've been looking for #6835 and #6839 since the transfer to Fg of #6830's but can't seem to find them. Are they at south shops?

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good feeling to know that over 150 will still remain in service for a few more yrs even after 300 of them will be replaced by the new Novas. I love these buses both series of them.

Might not be good for those on the north side still stuck with them if that's the case. Of course, there was the discussion a couple of weeks ago how those 150 were referenced in the CMAQ application for the 25 electric buses.

It may just be a thought that may never become a reality but could 103rd,second to the Glen possibly split #6400's in the coming months going into next year once the #8100's and maybe low #8200's really start rolling into service? Because it would make sense to send and retire the oldest buses in the fleet first to a southside garage like 103rd which is near scrap facilities. It would make much more sense to do but I know that there is several factors that prevent that from happening.

It's a good feeling to know that over 150 will still remain in service for a few more yrs even after 300 of them will be replaced by the new Novas. I love these buses both series of them.

Not sure how you're making that determination in light of CTA saying they planned to exercise the option for the extra 150. There is also a possibility (the size of which not yet determined if it even happens) of some form of service cut given the governor wanting to take the ax to state funding provided to Chicago area mass transit. That doesn't say 150 of 6400s will be around for a few years longer either.

Not sure how you're making that determination in light of CTA saying they planned to exercise the option for the extra 150. There is also a possibility (the size of which not yet determined if it even happens) of some form of service cut given the governor wanting to take the ax to state funding provided to Chicago area mass transit. That doesn't say 150 of 6400s will be around for a few years longer either.

But to again, note, there is the statement in the CMAQ electric bus application.

However, as pointed out in the discussion of that, and as BusHunter pointed out with regard to the 2010 rail assessment just released to NTSB, apparently projecting is not CTA's strong suit.

I don't remember if BusHunter mentioned this before, but I went by and there were some buses against the north fence in the north yard and some more to the east of the Pyramid building with white Xs on the windshield or back window.

Also, somewhat reminiscent of about 2000, the oldest buses were facing the fence on the Elston side.

The Garden Center and Pyramid buildings are still there, although obviously abandoned.

I don't remember if BusHunter mentioned this before, but I went by and there were some buses against the north fence in the north yard and some more to the east of the Pyramid building with white Xs on the windshield or back window.

Also, somewhat reminiscent of about 2000, the oldest buses were facing the fence on the Elston side.

The Garden Center and Pyramid buildings are still there, although obviously abandoned.

Yeah the buses on the north fence are always the ones that are out of service for repairs. Some of the 45 buses I have on the roster as OOS should be in that pack. Andre mentioned 20 including #6400. Up to 25 though are probably at south shops.

FG Maintenance still says no new buses expected anytime soon. About 20 dead buses sitting at garage awaiting removal to S Shops, with masking tape "X" on windshield. 6400 included. Some dead ones are going to S Shops under own power!

Well, I guess that means Olive Harvey College will not be getting #6400 as one of their two buses. But they paid for a fully depreciated Nova Bus for $1 from CTA, and I'm pretty sure all the Novas will be fully depreciated, so they can just get whatever is in good enough condition when it's pulled from service. The second bus remains TBD.

Well, I guess that means Olive Harvey College will not be getting #6400 as one of their two buses. But they paid for a fully depreciated Nova Bus for $1 from CTA, and I'm pretty sure all the Novas will be fully depreciated, so they can just get whatever is in good enough condition when it's pulled from service. The second bus remains TBD.

Or maybe they will finally get their bus. Note he said some of the dead buses are going to South Shops under their own power.

Or maybe they will finally get their bus. Note he said some of the dead buses are going to South Shops under their own power.

I believe I said that. There's lots of buses that are going to be out of service(some currently are... BusHunter reported that #6835 and #6839 haven't seen service since Feb. 2015). Those may be the two buses right there earmarked for Olive Harvey.

A few Novas are doing goofy things at FG. #6724 has where the rear door light will come on and off and the interlock will click, alot like the old fishbowls used to do. The interlocks not really working, the bus can pull off with the door open, but they have some buses like that. I never really saw that before with the clicking and on and off light and I've been on lots of Novas.

#6613 has this weird generator sound by the back door, also it's LED dot sign in the back just shows the left number. I saw it on the #90 displaying #9. I wish some #9's ran on Harlem!! :P

Then they have alot of these flip dot #6400's, that will not flip the side sign so you can see where the bus is going. I was at Logan/Blue line and couldn't read the sign and the bus pulled off. (#6637) I tried to see where it was going but it was a ghost bus. I did later find out it went west, my bus. #6679 it's follower had the same issue. If the signs can't flip, why don't they just set it to say #76 to Nature Museum. Most riders should know what a #76 is.