6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Umm not necessarily. Probably still nothing more than CTA making sure its buses have the same amenities while they are still in service. It's no different than when the 5300s got BusTracker when CTA saw they would still have some around a little longer than originally planned or the MAN Americanas getting bike racks in their final days when their final retirement was delayed at least nine months beyond what CTA reported the intent was to be as the 6400s were arriving.

Besides that, since the CD is apparently the only communications device, it is necessary for the control center to be able to communicate with those buses.

I might now not be so eager to take bets on the exercise of the option, but others flipping because CTA updated the communications module certainly has no connection with Rauner.

Besides that, since the CD is apparently the only communications device, it is necessary for the control center to be able to communicate with those buses.

I might now not be so eager to take bets on the exercise of the option, but others flipping because CTA updated the communications module certainly has no connection with Rauner.

On this we can agree especially when it's been said several times over Rauner can't pass budgets only proposed them, meaning he can't cut transit funds without the Legislature. And looking at different legislators' responses to his proposals so far, even from his own party, he has a HUGE sell job on the different cut proposals he's throwing out. But unfortunately once some get freaked about something, it's hard to get them to let go of what freaked them even after other details get revealed that suggests what freaked them out isn't as likely as it originally seemed.

I am on #6580, and it has the updated and repositioned Clever Device unit.

Interesting, the mystery deepens. Why put an updated clever device on something that may be gone next week? That's why I said it's looking like they are not purchasing above 300 #7900's. Because then that bus should retire within the next 6-12 months. But then again it looks like #6485's updated clever device lasted a whole month!! This is CTA we're talking about. Jajuan and Busjack, if you notice I'm just laying hypotheticals out, because CTA is really unpredictable. I'm not saying this will happen, that it may. The road has many turns and possible outcomes.

But if we go on facts, there is no scrap contract for the #2600 railcars and guess what, they are still here. And also guess what? No scrap contract exists for more than 175 #6400's either. So it's either the scrap yard at south shops become #6400 bus south storage or the buses will continue to run. When we see another scrap contract or we hear they are exercising the option well then we can definitively say it won't happen. But so far that hasn't happened. So it's still realistic to say this.

what the, "they need this to communicate with the buses argument?" What's wrong with the old stuff. Now the real question is are you hearing me?

The simple answer is why maintain redundant equipment in the highly secret control center if one system can do the job? From what Andre posted about the mystery code displayed, the text messages that used to go to the Orbital MDT now go to the CD one.

And, as I said before with regard to this kind of equipment, it is not permanently assigned to any bus but can be yanked out of an old bus and installed in a new one. The buses are not delivered with this kind of equipment installed at the factory. Usually the specs say to provide the data bus (different use of the term) for the equipment and the TA will plug it in. IIRC the last Pace requisition, it said to provide some Transitmasters, but not install them,

I am on #6580, and it has the updated and repositioned Clever Device unit.

​I was surprised to see an updated clever device on #6579, there's not too many buses at FG that didn't come from 74th that have this. But the bus has good acceleration so maybe it's going to stick around for awhile. Seems like the rest of the #6800's at FG are getting them though. #6875 now has one and it didn't before.

Looks like some kind of experimental sign, also probably on its own program.

I don't recall anything centered like that since the 4000 series MANs, The 4400s and 5300s (and 5800s and 6000s until replaced) had separate sign boxes for the route and destination, but this looks like only one sign panel.

I don't recall anything centered like that since the 4000 series MANs, The 4400s and 5300s (and 5800s and 6000s until replaced) had separate sign boxes for the route and destination, but this looks like only one sign panel.

​if it is an experiment, they shouldn't go through with implementing it into actual process :(

​if it is an experiment, they shouldn't go through with implementing it into actual process :(

​Considering the "platform" (bus) it is on, probably a 9 year old experiment, but I don't have any personal knowledge of that. Anyone else keeping track?

​Considering the "platform" (bus) it is on, probably a 9 year old experiment, but I don't have any personal knowledge of that. Anyone else keeping track?

​#6445 has a sign like that. That's the sign I mentioned before that why not just trade it off for a regular sign? They have plenty of dead buses to pick parts off now.

I was kind of surprised to see #6791 has an updated clever device, so it looks like the installation is moving it's way through the high #6700's.

​A small few of the MAN 4000s had split front sign panels like the other retired models mentioned. I think someone said they were a test for how much more visible they would be on the 4400s and 5300s when those were set to come in behind the Americanas. I think each of the four Americana garages had at least one or two. 4057 and 4091 counted among Kedzie's with that setup. Eventually though they had single panel signs placed back in them to make them standard like the rest. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked to see #6674 has an updated clever device. It's like the only #6600 that has one and someone did a Jackie Chan on the rear interior on that bus that they fixed with masking tape. But all these #6700's and #6800's have updated cd's now. If they only get 100 more #7900's those amber #6400's will make up two thirds of FG.

That #6428 bus seems to be blowing hot air under the wheelchair position. I saw the bus twice in like 5 days and it was doing it both times. It seems to have the heater stuck on but it's not half as bad as #6629 which was blowing full heat in the rear of the bus.  That felt good in the winter but I hope they fixed it for summer or that will be an unpleasant ride, no doubt.

I'm not sure if #6428 had LED already but the sign is awkwardly positioned wayyyy to the right. Reminds me of some 4400s and 5300s signs but only showing the route name without the route number.

image.jpg

​This is a misprogramming. Got programmed for a side sign instead of a front. There has been an effort recently to get signs working again on 6400's.

#6602's destination is terrible. The side sign says Western to 79th and it has no rear sign, but not many pre #6709's do. Probably retirement bait.

​Destination signs that don't work won't determine what gets retired. Remember that M.A.N Articulateds from Seattle, the Americanas and even the TMC's and Flxible 5300's had malfunctioning flip dots and still were used. What will determine whether they are retired or not is if something breaks that requires a lot of maintenance or funds to repair/replace(e.g: major engine component, transmission, etc...)

• Upvote 1

Hi, I'm from the NW side of Chicago and I was following your discussion about the 6400 series Novas slowly retiring. I just took this pic today on my way home from work.

w9wn4j.jpg

I saw this tow truck towing this bus away from Forest Glen Garage while  I was driving on Elston Ave. And as a bonus, I saw 6400 at Forest Glen without its bike rack.

Edited by Dawnlight
  • Upvote 6

Hi, I'm from the NW side of Chicago and I was following your discussion about the 6400 series Novas slowly retiring. I just took this pic today on my way home from work.

w9wn4j.jpg

I saw this tow truck towing this bus away from Forest Glen Garage while  I was driving on Elston Ave. And as a bonus, I saw 6400 at Forest Glen without its bike rack.

​Take those junks to the scrap yard. :P You know with #6401 being kind of in good condition, that would make a nice heritage bus. The shocks and suspension feel new on it and it is the first production bus, like #301. Hmm, that has me wondering if it might outlive the others. Seems someone has gone out of their way to make it a nice bus.

• Upvote 1

Actually there were two pilots - 6400 and 6401. 6402 was the first production bus.

​Didn't know that. Interesting. That would correspond to the #7900's also being they are Nova buses. Funny they didn't make #6401 an amber destination bus, thinking of #5302 being sort of a prototype for the later #5300's. They didn't really get that prototype until #6445. Then we have #6515 that debut with front color number signs, later full amber, but it never had the flip-dot signs.

Seems like there was alot of older prototype buses that there were two of. I think it was stated #5300 was once a non lift bus when it first toured the nw side when they were purchasing them. (maybe it like a demonstrator)  Then another one came back as a #5300 prototype with a lift. That was the bus that went in service. Then we have the tale of two #1000's that I heard about.

I found out this week were getting a Nova in a couple of weeks, possibly either from NP or FG. to replace our CFD Flxible. The Flx which Id like to hopefully save and donate it, would go back to CTA and probably be scrapped. I would hate to say "Goodbye" to it!  :)  Today she goes back to Chicago Ave Garage. 

Edited by Guest