6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Along with Busjack's point, it also strengthens the question of why they moved the 6800s and some upper 6700s to 74th when 74th is receiving the second big group of 7900s. Them increasing the number of rehabbed NFs assigned to 74th makes it pretty unlikely they'll knock all NFs if any off 74th's roster. It just comes back to Bushunter's point that they moved a bunch of first Gen Novas out of FG to 74th only to move them again in the coming months.

But would you think it's a sign that most 6800s aren't getting retired anytime soon and they're down at 74th to maintain stability when it comes for them to be up to par via maintenance at South Shop? I seriously don't think the rehabbed NF's has nothing to do with Novas being out there because if that was the case, then why the hell Forest Glen isn't getting any in exchange instead of getting the short end of the stick???

• Upvote 1

But would you think it's a sign that most 6800s aren't getting retired anytime soon and they're down at 74th to maintain stability when it comes for them to be up to par via maintenance at South Shop? I seriously don't think the rehabbed NF's has nothing to do with Novas being out there because if that was the case, then why the hell Forest Glen isn't getting any in exchange instead of getting the short end of the stick???

I didn't say the rehabbed NFs had anything to do with this move of 6800s down there. I mentioned the NF rehabbing only to point out that the increase in the number of rehabbed NFs at 74th already made things stable at 74th when you consider that that part of the moves suggests that NFs won't be the model that's displaced from there as they receive more 7900s there now that they are the current garage now receiving them. So that pretty much means it's the 6400 series that's going to get displaced. So why even make that move now of taking 6800s from FG to give FG relatively more beat up 6600s that came from 74th when those 6800s are just going to be moved again? So that gets back to my agreement with BusHunter that that part of this bus swaporama is even more stupid on different levels the more you examine the details of it. Basically what they could have been doing if the 6600s are worse off than 6800s is retire more buses from that range of fleet numbers as more 7900s get delivered to 74th.

Well now there is a scrap contract going out for 220 buses and 31 railcars, according to the Red Eye.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-cta-seeking-to-sell-junk-buses-rail-cars-20150209-story.html

This sounds like what's left of the #2400's, in fact that's what is mentioned. (I still haven't seen a #2600 scrap contract)

More interesting is the bus scrap contract that sounds like it is scrapping everything #6400 except the Fg buses, if you figure 220 and 250, FG's total, that gets us close to 450 Novas. (Maybe some of that is Optimas I don't know) So that must be the plan for this year.

Well now there is a scrap contract going out for 220 buses and 31 railcars, according to the Red Eye.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-cta-seeking-to-sell-junk-buses-rail-cars-20150209-story.html

The only thing that's news is that it is going before the CT Board. The solicitations have been noted starting here before.

I didn't say the rehabbed NFs had anything to do with this move of 6800s down there. I mentioned the NF rehabbing only to point out that the increase in the number of rehabbed NFs at 74th already made things stable at 74th when you consider that that part of the moves suggests that NFs won't be the model that's displaced from there as they receive more 7900s there now that they are the current garage now receiving them. So that pretty much means it's the 6400 series that's going to get displaced. So why even make that move now of taking 6800s from FG to give FG relatively more beat up 6600s that came from 74th when those 6800s are just going to be moved again? So that gets back to my agreement with BusHunter that that part of this bus swaporama is even more stupid on different levels the more you examine the details of it. Basically what they could have been doing if the 6600s are worse off than 6800s is retire more buses from that range of fleet numbers as more 7900s get delivered to 74th.

That's understandable. No, I didn't say that you said anything about the rehabbed NF's playing a factor of the 6800s at 74th but still, why Forest Glen aren't getting anything in return??? Yes, these swaps are ridiculously pathetic but who the hell is running Forest Glen though??? Someone without a f'ing brain!!!

• Upvote 2

This sounds like what's left of the #2400's, in fact that's what is mentioned. (I still haven't seen a #2600 scrap contract)

More interesting is the bus scrap contract that sounds like it is scrapping everything #6400 except the Fg buses, if you figure 220 and 250, FG's total, that gets us close to 450 Novas. (Maybe some of that is Optimas I don't know) So that must be the plan for this year.

It gets you to more that 450. 470 to be exact. :)

That's understandable. No, I didn't say that you said anything about the rehabbed NF's playing a factor of the 6800s at 74th but still, why Forest Glen aren't getting anything in return??? Yes, these swaps are ridiculously pathetic but who the hell is running Forest Glen though??? Someone without a f'ing brain!!!

Exactly why I agree that that part of the swapping was just downright stupid. Even without the factor of 74th also currently in the process of being the second garage receiving 7900s it was stupid. You go along with letting your 6800s and a few upper 6700s being traded away to receive a bunch of 6600s, which from what BusHunter said some operators were saying are in a worse condition, in their place??

#6830 had some real nice air conditioning. They had this metal duct they put over the rear wheel well on the inside left that I never could figure out what's it's for. I wonder if possibly #6831, #6820 or #6837 has the updated clever device cause those are back at Fg.

Good question. And it seems your theory about moving buses out of FG to 74th just to move them again is partially playing out.

I was kind of shocked to read in the Northwest Side Press (Nadig paper Feb 11th edition) according to the 39th ward alderman, Margaret Laurino they are still having problems with noise and pollution at FG. They claim the buses still run all night and they had issues with getting them to shovel their sidewalk, but they finally did it. (I'm assuming the Elston one) According to the paper they want to meet with CTA officials to discuss the noise and pollution in the future. Someone needs to inform the 39th ward, that they have all the oldest buses, probably if they didn't run those buses all night, they probably wouldn't start in the morning. I believe the rehabbed #1000's did have particulate filters installed as part of the rehab, so that still leaves a question of why Fg doesn't have any. They are the only garage now that don't have any.

• Upvote 1

I was kind of shocked to read in the Northwest Side Press (Nadig paper Feb 11th edition) according to the 39th ward alderman, Margaret Laurino they are still having problems with noise and pollution at FG. They claim the buses still run all night and they had issues with getting them to shovel their sidewalk, but they finally did it. (I'm assuming the Elston one) According to the paper they want to meet with CTA officials to discuss the noise and pollution in the future. Someone needs to inform the 39th ward, that they have all the oldest buses, probably if they didn't run those buses all night, they probably wouldn't start in the morning. I believe the rehabbed #1000's did have particulate filters installed as part of the rehab, so that still leaves a question of why Fg doesn't have any. They are the only garage now that don't have any.

The particulate filters started with the NABIs, and those didn't work. Maybe that's the reason the retrofitted 5800s also were retired early. Particulate filters did not return until somewhere into the 1000s, and that's why the rehab press releases say they are being retrofitted.

However, the "bus idling all night" problem was supposedly cured when FG got the buses with preheaters in 2001. Maybe someone should tell garage staff.

The particulate filters started with the NABIs, and those didn't work. Maybe that's the reason the retrofitted 5800s also were retired early. Particulate filters did not return until somewhere into the 1000s, and that's why the rehab press releases say they are being retrofitted.

However, the "bus idling all night" problem was supposedly cured when FG got the buses with preheaters in 2001. Maybe someone should tell garage staff.

Maybe they think they are running all night. I know in the old days when they had the #9800's, they used to hold the gas pedals down to heat up the buses which they probably still do. Operators are even trained to do this on the street if they are having repetitive dying motors. Unfortunately this puts alot of exhaust in the air. Really they need a facility like Chicago garage that is industrial and away from houses, but it's not helping when you have all buses with 2002 emission standards. Bus manufacturers as well as the auto industry are making alot cleaner vehicles then they were 10 years ago. They might notice a big change over there next year as the emissions quality will move up about 12 years. Now we call the buses "Clean Diesels" although that is probably a promotional gimmick.

... Now we call the buses "Clean Diesels" although that is probably a promotional gimmick.

Mostly, although the particulate filters, and most importantly, the Blu Tec urea injection systems are pretty much standard, and, as you note, they now have to meet 2013 EPA standards.

Good to hear!!! I hope the alderman makes so much noise that this will move CTA bosses to start making the necessary changes at FG!