6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

But then you need somewhere to store 300 more buses, and as documented, Archer was flattened.

As it is, not even counting 7900s, CTA is up about 50 buses (99 4300s, less 45 Optimas and other miscellaneous junk). Thus, at the moment it is up about 100 buses, including 7900s.

Some Novas, of course, have been retired, to Olive Harvey and work buses.

Maybe the more relevant question is why there haven't been mass bus moves out of 77th, which, for instance, could be used to retire Novas at 74 and FG.

you make a good point so I'll go back and say that I wouldn't retire all of them, I would still keep at least around 150 or so around cause even with all 300 novas on cta property If all the 6400's are gone that would still be a shortage of buses wouldn't it? And who knows how long or even if cta will go with the 2nd option for the additional 150. So just to stay afloat I would keep a few old novas around at least until they're are enough buses to replace them entirely.

...And who knows how long or even if cta will go with the 2nd option for the additional 150....

That's essentially the question. However, that question would justify only keeping the last 2002 option (6709 up), which wouldn't be retired until those buses are received.

I took the initial observation to be why more low 6400s hadn't hit the recycled plastic park bench factory yet.

The sooner they retire 6407, the better.

The wheelchair ramp is really screwed up on this one.

It deploys faster than any other I've seen, flying open & coming down on the sidewalk with a crash.

But then it takes maybe two minutes to close & just wildly goes back & forth for 20 seconds when vertical, but then oh so slo-o-o-o-o-ly finishes the closing.

That easily added over four minutes to the trip I had on a #9 today.

I guess the hydraulics are shot & maybe they're hoping to replace the bus with a new Nova, instead of fixing it.

• Upvote 3

6684 must've been put out to pasture... it's been marked out of service as 10/17/14. Usually when buses are on this roster(scroll down to the Novas), they're gone... if not because of damage, it'll no doubt be a legal hold with thirteen people injured on board the bus at the time, which no doubt means thirteen lawsuits, whether merited or just looking for quick money. Some of these may be merited lawsuits due to lost time from work due to injuries, others may just be some minor abrasions(basically something a band aid or gauze tape could heal) and people wanting fast money.

6412 is up in the air... it's labeled as a possible retirement only.

If it weren't eligible for retirement, it doesn't look too bad, as Judge Mathis took the brunt of it.

Actually the U took the brunt of it and Greg Mathis himself escaped injury.

I assumed when I read the story that the right side of the bus probably hit the pole, but the picture seems to indicate that it was the driver's side that hit it. How does that happen? Did someone cut the bus off to the point that the bus had to swerve, and due to speed could not recover?

6684 must've been put out to pasture... it's been marked out of service as 10/17/14. Usually when buses are on this roster(scroll down to the Novas), they're gone... if not because of damage, it'll no doubt be a legal hold with thirteen people injured on board the bus at the time, which no doubt means thirteen lawsuits, whether merited or just looking for quick money. Some of these may be merited lawsuits due to lost time from work due to injuries, others may just be some minor abrasions(basically something a band aid or gauze tape could heal) and people wanting fast money.

6412 is up in the air... it's labeled as a possible retirement only.

There's no need to fix #6684, those Novas are looking for a reason to retire now and that bus has found one. Not to say though it won't be used for parts. As we get closer to the first 100 #7900's I wonder if there will be another slowdown in new buses arriving. There seems to be a hint of that now, 3 buses this week. There's only 42 buses to go in that block and I'm not sure if the early ones are passable as yet. If we notice out of #7991- #7954 all they are missing is #7982, #7976, #7958, #7957. There a big bunch of lower buses we still haven't seen. They might be releasing the next 50 before we see them.

• 2 weeks later...

I took these shots of broken Down #6644 on Saturday afternoon and this may be next to hit the dead lot soon. This bus sounded horrible and had a malfunctioning A//C a long with a broken back door.

10171780_373407419473517_580242073328282

10462574_373407639473495_148945811705186

10353167_373407466140179_872351045758313

Depends on what is wrong with the bus... if it's something major, it'll no doubt be retired then, otherwise it should be repaired

Just wanted to share 6798 working on Route 56 (Milwaukee) to Jefferson Park at Western/Milwaukee on 10/25/14

Not really understanding this post here. Is 6798 broke down? All the 6700's are out of FG, so this stumps me...

Depends on what is wrong with the bus... if it's something major, it'll no doubt be retired then, otherwise it should be repaired

Not really understanding this post here. Is 6798 broke down? All the 6700's are out of FG, so this stumps me...

Just wanted to share 6798 working on Route 56 (Milwaukee) to Jefferson Park at Western/Milwaukee on 10/25/14

On a side note nice shots guys!

• 2 weeks later...

They have done something weird with the transmission on #6782. Now on takeoff the bus lurches forward enough to push you hard back into your seat. It's almost like they put a four speed transmission it in, seems similar to the TMC's which they have a really fast 1st gear when they were new. On idle the bus revs like it's idle is turned way up if that's possible. This is my second experience with an amber Nova out of Fg like this. I thought at first it may be how the operator drove the bus but a #6400 doesn't drive with this kind of acceleration. Something someone might want to check out and experience. Weird indeed!!

• Upvote 4

They have done something weird with the transmission on #6782. Now on takeoff the bus lurches forward enough to push you hard back into your seat. It's almost like they put a four speed transmission it in, seems similar to the TMC's which they have a really fast 1st gear when they were new. On idle the bus revs like it's idle is turned way up if that's possible. This is my second experience with an amber Nova out of Fg like this. I thought at first it may be how the operator drove the bus but a #6400 doesn't drive with this kind of acceleration. Something someone might want to check out and experience. Weird indeed!!

If they're souping up Amber 6400s maybe they have some inkling FG will be dealing with the 2001-02 Novas for quite a while at least until most of the series is finally retired.

If they're souping up Amber 6400s maybe they have some inkling FG will be dealing with the 2001-02 Novas for quite a while at least until most of the series is finally retired.

I don't know if I would reach that conclusion, but it would seem like most of them would not be directly replaced until the option for the additional 150 is exercised.

Could just be tired transmissions on these buses. Maybe they are starting in 2nd gear and jumping into 3rd(hence the lurch on takeoff), then just whines itself to 4th and 5th(if it gets enough speed going). A vehicle with a automatic transmission or even manual transmission could take off in 2nd gear, but if that goes, the bus will just stall out, as no vehicle can start in 3rd gear.

With 300 Novas(7900-Series) due with the main order, most of the worst Novas(6400-Series) can be retired by moving the Novas(7900's) to garages where the older Novas(6400's) are at, or just moving New Flyers there. That'll ultimately be up to CTA Brass.... The 450(when CTA exercises the 150 option in 2015) will replace most of the 483 on the roster, with a slight shortage.

With 300 Novas(7900-Series) due with the main order, most of the worst Novas(6400-Series) can be retired by moving the Novas(7900's) to garages where the older Novas(6400's) are at, or just moving New Flyers there. That'll ultimately be up to CTA Brass.... The 450(when CTA exercises the 150 option in 2015) will replace most of the 483 on the roster, with a slight shortage.

How many 6400s were retired before the delivery of 7900s began?

Could just be tired transmissions on these buses. Maybe they are starting in 2nd gear and jumping into 3rd(hence the lurch on takeoff), then just whines itself to 4th and 5th(if it gets enough speed going). A vehicle with a automatic transmission or even manual transmission could take off in 2nd gear, but if that goes, the bus will just stall out, as no vehicle can start in 3rd gear.

Possible, but it shifts the first gear really fast, like within seconds. It's nutty, it's like your in someone's souped up Corvette and they want to show you it's power of acceleration. I wonder if all this is too much for the transmission and it might just run hot and burn up. Only time will tell.

If we want to look for retired Novas we might want to look for #6663. It should have went to chicago but it never surfaced. Haven't really seen it at 74th either lately.

How many 6400s were retired before the delivery of 7900s began?

6402(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6404(removed and reinstated as a Workbus 12/22/13)

6420(removed from service 6/1/13)

6450(removed from service 12/22/13)

6522(removed from service 5/2013)

6531(removed from service 11/2012)

6568(removed from service 2009)

6610(removed from service 7/20/09)

6726(removed from service 2008)

6738(removed from service 2008)

6832(removed from service 11/6/06)

11 Novas retired total before the 7900's started to arrive.

I don't know if I would reach that conclusion, but it would seem like most of them would not be directly replaced until the option for the additional 150 is exercised.

A stretch I know. But in a way I was being a little sarcastic, looking at at how 7900s displacing buses at 77th would have some of us think FG was once again open to having a different bus model instead of getting more 6400s.