6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

Based off the latest update to garage rosters there are 469 Novas still in service. Cta has ordered still only 300 new nova buses unless they're going to do the 2nd option of 150 additional buses that's still not going to be enough to fully replace the 6400's so I would assume a few of those buses will still be around a little longer wouldn't you all agree? It wouldn't be the 1st time cta did that as far as keeping buses in service past their 12yr service life span.

Based off the latest update to garage rosters there are 469 Novas still in service. Cta has ordered still only 300 new nova buses unless they're going to do the 2nd option of 150 additional buses that's still not going to be enough to fully replace the 6400's so I would assume a few of those buses will still be around a little longer wouldn't you all agree? It wouldn't be the 1st time cta did that as far as keeping buses in service past their 12yr service life span.

I would no doubt expect the 150 option to be exercised to bring the total of future Novas to 7900-8349 rather than 7900-8199 currently. That, however, probably won't be exercised until late 2014/early 2015 with those buses coming mid to late 2015 and finishing off the 6400-Series completely by that time.

The other thing you didn't figure is that the 100 _60 LFRs, were partially to replace Novas, although now only about 40 of them, given the dead Optimas and 900s.

On the other 150 of 450 bus solicitation, the jury is still out on whether CTA is going to pick up any artics.

I would no doubt expect the 150 option to be exercised to bring the total of future Novas to 7900-8349 rather than 7900-8199 currently. That, however, probably won't be exercised until late 2014/early 2015 with those buses coming mid to late 2015 and finishing off the 6400-Series completely by that time.

That's always been my thinking especially now with FG being all 6400s and having increasing reports of bus breakdowns.

The other thing you didn't figure is that the 100 _60 LFRs, were partially to replace Novas, although now only about 40 of them, given the dead Optimas and 900s.

On the other 150 of 450 bus solicitation, the jury is still out on whether CTA is going to pick up any artics.

Yeah the jury is still out on CTA picking up additional artics, but to clarify so others don't confuse what 150 additional buses are being spoken of, let's also keep in mind that when CTA separated the awarding of the original solicitation , they kept in there an option for 150 additional 40 foot buses not to be confused for the yet to be awarded contract for up to 150 artics, the total being based on any exercised options if that part of the solicitation is ever awarded.

Yeah the jury is still out on CTA picking up additional artics, but to clarify so others don't confuse what 150 additional buses are being spoken of, let's also keep in mind that when CTA separated the awarding of the original solicitation , they kept in there an option for 150 additional 40 foot buses not to be confused for the yet to be awarded contract for up to 150 artics, the total being based on any exercised options if that part of the solicitation is ever awarded.

Exactly, jajuan. And that solicitation was between 50 and 150, and most likely was to be implemented more for the BRT lines which doesn't really seem to be gathering steam too much here. These 50-150 articulateds would have doors on both sides of the buses for the BRT service.

Exactly, jajuan. And that solicitation was between 50 and 150, and most likely was to be implemented more for the BRT lines which doesn't really seem to be gathering steam too much here. These 50-150 articulateds would have doors on both sides of the buses for the BRT service.

As Kevin pointed out, and the solicitation stated, that was only an alternate price. The base request was for a standard 60 foot bus, and either diesel or hybrid.

The total of the recent retired Novas that I've mentioned last week has increased from 4 to 7. I couldn't get all the numbers but 74th just lost #6606 and #6664. Also Forest Glen has lost one (couldn't get the number though).

I got to wonder if #6606 is really retired. I just rode that bus on the #47 last week. It had working AC and the bus seemed not that bad.

As Kevin pointed out, and the solicitation stated, that was only an alternate price. The base request was for a standard 60 foot bus, and either diesel or hybrid.

Yes this part is true. Even if one could speculate that BRT might be a part of the equation in some capacity, it was never said anywhere that extra artics were specifically for that.

Sounds like it is gone. Well I guess they have parts for #6439 now, that bus is junk!!

To be honest it's rather interesting that most of the retired 6400s are from the mid and higher numbered range, and only a few of the lower numbered ones are retired.

To be honest it's rather interesting that most of the retired 6400s are from the mid and higher numbered range, and only a few of the lower numbered ones are retired.

Probably not for long, but it is surprising in the sense that the lowest number ones started at 77th, and hence would be assumed to be the most abused. Apparently the C ones were, though.

I don't think it's worth adding old parts to any old Nova at all.

It may not be worth it, but it will keep the existing fleet running without having to go out and buy new parts. What's interesting to me is these buses seem to be retiring with no replacements so far. 77th should have at least 10 extra buses.

It may not be worth it, but it will keep the existing fleet running without having to go out and buy new parts. What's interesting to me is these buses seem to be retiring with no replacements so far. 77th should have at least 10 extra buses.

I'll say 20 extra buses just in case.

Rode 6421 on the #62 briefly through downtown. That bus's air-conditioning unit must have some malfunction going because water was dripping out the ceiling including parts of the light fixtures.

The AC condenser is supposed to drain thru the stanchions. If they become plugged, water will seek it's own way out. 2000 L cars were particularly well known for this, water spewing out all over the car!

The AC condenser is supposed to drain thru the stanchions. If they become plugged, water will seek it's own way out. 2000 L cars were particularly well known for this, water spewing out all over the car!

Ah so that's what was going on. That ride reminded me of being on a Flxible Metro, both CTA models and various models from other TAs, during a rainy day. One thing that seemed to be consistent of the Metros during their entire existence is that whenever it rained their roofs always leaked around the seams of the upper escape hatches as if Flxible never really figured out how to properly size them and fit them in place.

Ah so that's what was going on. That ride reminded me of being on a Flxible Metro, both CTA models and various models from other TAs, during a rainy day. One thing that seemed to be consistent of the Metros during their entire existence is that whenever it rained their roofs always leaked around the seams of the upper escape hatches as if Flxible never really figured out how to properly size them and fit them in place.

It was worse on Pace's Ikarus 416s.

Okay so I'm no expert on this so bare with me,last night there were 7 novas out late last night around 1 or 2 in the morning on 5 different routes. #6422 and #6615 on Route 9, #6409 on route 63 #6660 on route 55 #6613 on route 67 and last but not least #6670 and #6597. Now usually no novas would be out this late especially out of 74th on a weekend and I was just curious as to why these particular novas were out this late and for that long.

Okay so I'm no expert on this so bare with me,last night there were 7 novas out late last night around 1 or 2 in the morning on 5 different routes. #6422 and #6615 on Route 9, #6409 on route 63 #6660 on route 55 #6613 on route 67 and last but not least #6670 and #6597. Now usually no novas would be out this late especially out of 74th on a weekend and I was just curious as to why these particular novas were out this late and for that long.

Ill take a shot in the dark and say maybe due to a slightly higher Nova to NF ratio that resulted from 77th purging its Novas and then couple that with the fact that NF rehabs are still going on that probably means they're working with ehatever they can use... kinda like how 103rd ended up having to use optimas on heavier routes outside of the UofC and light routes during the red line south project since 103rd did most of the service leaving barely any equipment in the rush

It was worse on Pace's Ikarus 416s.

Yeah but the leaking roof problem seemed to be true of every Flxible Metro style bus regardless of model or TA based on my experience and other forum members' experience discussed when I posed that issue in the 6000s thread in regards to both the 5300s and 6000s on CTA and Flxibles of the Champaign-Urbana MTD and members mentioned Flxibles in other TAs that had them in various states had this issue.

Yeah but the leaking roof problem seemed to be true of every Flxible Metro style bus regardless of model or TA based on my experience and other forum members' experience discussed when I posed that issue in the 6000s thread in regards to both the 5300s and 6000s on CTA and Flxibles of the Champaign-Urbana MTD and members mentioned Flxibles in other TAs that had them in various states had this issue.

Yeah, you right about that. Chicago Flxibles had it very bad when I was growing up. I hardly had any issues with FG's.