MAN Artic's

T8H5307A

At least the first three show when the paint scheme worked. The red, white and blue ones look more like some paint was slapped on (especially with the logo in the middle of 7102).

Anyone know the circumstances of 7219? Was that the one that wiped out the car that cut in in front of it on LSD?

At least the first three show when the paint scheme worked. The red, white and blue ones look more like some paint was slapped on (especially with the logo in the middle of 7102).

Anyone know the circumstances of 7219? Was that the one that wiped out the car that cut in in front of it on LSD?

In fact that #7219 picture looks as if it's at that occurance. If I'm thinking clearly, that happened in 1987 which would correspond with the older vehicles in the picture. Also the painting of the MAN's to Red/White/Blue started about 1990- 91. I remember that happening during my high school days. A few #7000's never were painted the new scheme they were retired first. Great pictures!! :) Pictures of #7100's are hard to come by. The 79th one almost begs you to take a ride. That #7102 picture looks as if it's one of the first to go to the new scheme. They were still unsure about where to place the CTA logo. Also I remember some were painted without sporting the post rehab look ( rubberized covers for the rear bumpers as well as new exhaust vents on the engine cover. ) Some were painted twice or three times if you count the green scheme. Among the first to do that was #7177.

The accident involving #7219 was only the first of a series of accidents that CTA had to explain during those several days. There were other incidents that were so alarming that CTA was getting so much bad press for those few days. Only a day later after the MAN #7219 incident, MAN #7177 lost one of its center wheels while traveling LSD on the #14 S. Lake Shore Exp. The very next day news footage showed GMC #7875 fully involved with fire at 99th/Vincennes. A CTA bus driver and a mechanic spoke out against CTA maintenance procedures. I still have the ABC7 news footage of it with a very young Chuck Goudie, John Drury and very hot Joan Esposito. Once I figure out this camera my wife got me for Xmas, I will post this on YouTube.:)

Once I figure out this camera my wife got me for Xmas, I will post this on YouTube.:)

Please do!!! I want to see this video clip...

@T8H5307A: Do you have photos of the 7000's(7000-7019)? Those were interesting... seeing those with the "AM General" logo on the front of a M.A.N Articulated.

Also, I am searching for some old schemed GM Fishbowl pics throughout the years(100-249, 300's, 1000-1229, 7400-7999, 9000-9599 and 9600-9799. If you got them, please post them(videos are welcome too!). Also brand new Flyer D901(green and white) photos.

I ran across some acquired photos of some MAN Artic's and thought I would share them with the group.

Enjoy!

Awesome pics! were any of these buses saved anywhere or did they all go to the chipper :blink:

Once I figure out this camera my wife got me for Xmas, I will post this on YouTube.:)

I would really like to see that too. :) Then after that if you could do a video of deadheading back to Academy... :D

In fact that #7219 picture looks as if it's at that occurance. If I'm thinking clearly, that happened in 1987 which would correspond with the older vehicles in the picture.

It was actually 1986. That is verified by a former City News Reporter, Mark Sokolowski, who rembers it this way:

It was 1986 and I was on the "garbage" beat...Before heading to the park district's headquarters, at the north end of Soldier Field, I stopped by a Channel 7 truck to talk with a reporter. While we were chatting, the police scanner in the TV truck announced an accident on Lake Shore Drive. "Ah, I'll let the office handle it," I thought to myself. But then the radio chattered that there were two dead. I decided to head to the accident site. It was at least two blocks away and by the time I got there a crowd surrounded the crash. A CTA bus had climbed on top of a Cadillac that had cut in front of the bus. The car was filled with five kids from Rockford heading to the concert and was in the wrong lane when the driver realized he had to get over to the left to get into the parking lot

I was just thinking about that today as I rode by Soldier Field on the first trip south. I was remembering how they mistreated the bus driver, who was hurt, in a hospital bed, then arrested (for exactly what I don't remember now) and handcuffed to the bed !!!!!

I will agree that the pic looks from this particular incident.

Makes me miss those buses already...I would've wished we kept those instead of the NABI's. Yeah, they would've been 25+ years old, but those pictures just reminded me how much I loved those buses more than the 40 footers, past and present.

Quick question: There had to have been a 7100 with a flip-dot destination sign. Can someone verify? I knew the 7300's had them, but I recalled a 7100 with one also.

Please do!!! I want to see this video clip...

@T8H5307A: Do you have photos of the 7000's(7000-7019)? Those were interesting... seeing those with the "AM General" logo on the front of a M.A.N Articulated.

Also, I am searching for some old schemed GM Fishbowl pics throughout the years(100-249, 300's, 1000-1229, 7400-7999, 9000-9599 and 9600-9799. If you got them, please post them(videos are welcome too!). Also brand new Flyer D901(green and white) photos.

Let me see what I can dig up, I know I have examples of what you are looking for. I'm sure the others won't mind seeing them either!

I remember the MAN #7000-7019s had the rear route marker. The later 7100 models didnt have this feature.

If I remember correctly, they had the bump in the rear for it, but didn't actually have the sign, as the 7300s did. Until the 7300s arrived, I wondered what the bump was for.

Makes me miss those buses already...I would've wished we kept those instead of the NABI's. Yeah, they would've been 25+ years old, but those pictures just reminded me how much I loved those buses more than the 40 footers, past and present.

Quick question: There had to have been a 7100 with a flip-dot destination sign. Can someone verify? I knew the 7300's had them, but I recalled a 7100 with one also.

That was #7187. #7177 must have had alot of problems over the years. I remember once being on it with it's windows propped open. Under the Cermak overpass at LSD a gust of air blew it's right rear window open and off it flew. When the bus reached Jackson/Michigan the supervisor said hey where's your window, to the driver's surprise!! :huh: At least it had good ventilation :P as was there was no working air conditioning then.

Awesome pics! were any of these buses saved anywhere or did they all go to the chipper :blink:

I would really like to see that too. :) Then after that if you could do a video of deadheading back to Academy... :D

Dont worry MVTA, its in the planning stages. :) I want to make some bus videos from Academy/Pace to post on YouTube.

I ran across some acquired photos of some MAN Artic's and thought I would share them with the group.

Enjoy!

Slightly off-topic, does anyone know the history of the factory pictured in the background of the MAN working the 62 Archer? I remember seeing it being torn down soon after the Orange Line opened. It was constructed very close to the railroad embankment if I recall correctly. In the photo it looks abandoned already.

Slightly off-topic, does anyone know the history of the factory pictured in the background of the MAN working the 62 Archer? I remember seeing it being torn down soon after the Orange Line opened. It was constructed very close to the railroad embankment if I recall correctly. In the photo it looks abandoned already.

This is off-topic too, but where was this factory located? Since I can't recognize where this area is in terms of geography today.

Dont worry MVTA, its in the planning stages. :) I want to make some bus videos from Academy/Pace to post on YouTube.

Here. My first attempt of a deadhead video for you. Going to South Shops. I took this with my digital camera and makeshift camera retention system (rubberbands), So any bumps from the lovely streets in Chicago are depicted in this video also! Enjoy!

Here. My first attempt of a deadhead video for you. Going to South Shops. I took this with my digital camera and makeshift camera retention system (rubberbands), So any bumps from the lovely streets in Chicago are depicted in this video also! Enjoy!

I thought is was very good,did you attach the camera to the hand rail inside by the front doors? :mellow: