Ouch! Wreck photos!

T8H5307A

On 5/7/2017 at 1:10 PM, sw4400 said:

It was a New Flyer(# not noticeable in the video). The front is bent slightly forward where the windshield meets the headlight assembly area. Possible frame damage??? If so, that bus will most likely be scrapped. I don't think CTA repairs frame-damaged buses.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, Busjack said:

Tribune story, 4 in speeding car dead. The pictures there indicate too much crumpled car to indicate if the bus sustained much damage, Unless is is something like a crumpled front platform, it is usually fixable.

And even then, it's sometimes possible to repair a bus and get it back in service. Remember 4327 shortly before its transfer from K to 103rd? 1148 is another example. Our friend @garmon757 showed us a shot of it having smacked into a railroad viaduct support beam near what looked like Western and Archer while it was still assigned to 74th. A few short months after that photo, the bus was repaired and put back into service before transferring to NP for a short time then back to 74th and then its current home at 103rd garage. Either way, as @Busjack has alluded to, predicting 1805's retirement at this point is still premature.

18 hours ago, jajuan said:

And even then, it's sometimes possible to repair a bus and get it back in service. Remember 4327 shortly before its transfer from K to 103rd? 1148 is another example. Our friend @garmon757 showed us a shot of it having smacked into a railroad viaduct support beam near what looked like Western and Archer while it was still assigned to 74th. A few short months after that photo, the bus was repaired and put back into service before transferring to NP for a short time then back to 74th and then its current home at 103rd garage. Either way, as @Busjack has alluded to, predicting 1805's retirement at this point is still premature.

Don't forget #1147 also. Some knucklehead operater plowed it towards a plow truck inside 74th Garage. 

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Bus 1413 got in an accident earlier today I have a photo.

5b3c10df4f5a2_bandicam2018-07-0319-11-36-695.thumb.jpg.ae669d8eaf3fc78347a6d3bbcfefc828.jpg

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

Was on the news. The driver in the red SUV was killed.(ABC7)

That might help explain the approximate 30 minute delay I ran into waiting for an X49 yesterday afternoon at about that time. 1413 was in the lineup among the buses listed as next buses that were going to approach my stop. I thought it strange that when I got on my first bus to get to Western it said 1413 and a couple others were to to be at my stop on Western in the next approximately 24 minutes, which would have given me a 5 minute cushion wait time upon reaching Western factoring in the wait time for my first bus and the travel time to reach Western and then getting to wait time jumps back up to about 25 minutes from what should have been only 5 after I got to Western. That then creeped up to 30. It's very unfortunate that the driver of the car didn't survive the accident. 

12 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Another crash with bus 1735 in Blue Island a car hit the bus. I got no photo this time I found that on ABC7

Looking at the fleet number and looking at how CTA no longer runs buses in Blue Island with the 49A being dead for five and a half years, I think you meant to say the crash was ON Blue Island, meaning the roadway and not in which would suggest Blue Island the town.:)

• 1 month later...

I guess if I ride transit as often as I do; someday this would occur.
On Friday, I went out to Metropolitan Brewing for a few craft beers. When I finished there, I walked to Belmont and Rockwell for a westbound #77 Belmont bus. I think you know Belmont Ave. is in horrible shape now, with all the construction occurring on it. At this very moment, the Belmont Blue Line “L” station is closed for the first stage of its renovation.
The detour for westbound #77 buses is south on Kimball to Milwaukee, northwest to Central Park, and north on Central Park to Belmont. There is a tight turn from Kimball to Milwaukee, but that is not where this occurred.
It occurred at 10:53 pm when the bus (#8253: Run F738) made its left turn from Central Park to Belmont.
It struck a bicyclist.
I was sitting in the upper floor section, so I did not see anything, but the sound of the impact was noticable.
The bus was going to stand (in the middle of the intersection), so all the passengers were let off to go to the curb.
At this moment, I espied the accident victim. She appeared to be a hefty female, but her weight was no match for a moving bus. Reaction from the street was that she had at the least a broken leg.
I had my camera in my pocket. So I took a few photographs before the assembled crowd was requested to stand back. Here are two of them. nwtzd8dr.jpg dpizesar.jpg

I do not know to which hospital she was taken. I thought the Chicago Fire Dept. ambulance would take her to Belmont Community Hospital west on Belmont, but it left the intersection going south on Central Park.
Police arrived first. I highly suspect our bus operator was cited. Bus #8253 did sustain a cracked front windshield (the lower part on the driver's side - you might be able to see it in one of the photos).

In operational terms, what happens when an accident occurs, and none of the passengers are injured, but the bus must go out of service? F738 doesn't sound familiar to me as an owl run. Would an extra bus be put into service at this time of night?

Intriguingly, the following bus which took all of us from #8253 was old Nova #6826. If it had been the one involved in the accident, and its windshield damaged, I bet that would be the end of its life.

• 11 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 2:32 AM, pudgym29 said:

I guess if I ride transit as often as I do; someday this would occur.
On Friday, I went out to Metropolitan Brewing for a few craft beers. When I finished there, I walked to Belmont and Rockwell for a westbound #77 Belmont bus. I think you know Belmont Ave. is in horrible shape now, with all the construction occurring on it. At this very moment, the Belmont Blue Line “L” station is closed for the first stage of its renovation.
The detour for westbound #77 buses is south on Kimball to Milwaukee, northwest to Central Park, and north on Central Park to Belmont. There is a tight turn from Kimball to Milwaukee, but that is not where this occurred.
It occurred at 10:53 pm when the bus (#8253: Run F738) made its left turn from Central Park to Belmont.
It struck a bicyclist.
I was sitting in the upper floor section, so I did not see anything, but the sound of the impact was noticable.
The bus was going to stand (in the middle of the intersection), so all the passengers were let off to go to the curb.
At this moment, I espied the accident victim. She appeared to be a hefty female, but her weight was no match for a moving bus. Reaction from the street was that she had at the least a broken leg.
I had my camera in my pocket. So I took a few photographs before the assembled crowd was requested to stand back. Here are two of them. nwtzd8dr.jpg dpizesar.jpg

I do not know to which hospital she was taken. I thought the Chicago Fire Dept. ambulance would take her to Belmont Community Hospital west on Belmont, but it left the intersection going south on Central Park.
Police arrived first. I highly suspect our bus operator was cited. Bus #8253 did sustain a cracked front windshield (the lower part on the driver's side - you might be able to see it in one of the photos).

In operational terms, what happens when an accident occurs, and none of the passengers are injured, but the bus must go out of service? F738 doesn't sound familiar to me as an owl run. Would an extra bus be put into service at this time of night?

Intriguingly, the following bus which took all of us from #8253 was old Nova #6826. If it had been the one involved in the accident, and its windshield damaged, I bet that would be the end of its life.

A CFD ambulance would've taken her to the nearest trauma center, not the nearest hospital.