2200-series - Updates (Retired)

BusHunter

The point I made earlier was not putting them on the Blue Line made no sense, because (1) it has the oldest cars, and (2) it is the second heaviest line in the system and runs 24 hours a day.

Saying Green made no sense because it doesn't have the load factors that the Blue does.

Purple doesn't make sense, because most of the cars sit in the yard off rush hour. Maybe it and Yellow get thrown in with Red based on some belief that Howard Yard couldn't handle two types of equipment.

However, unless the math works out as I stated above, Blue is going to have two types of incompatible equipment.

Hence, maybe someone at CTA will wake up before the delivery gets too far down the road, but I doubt it. After all, how long did it take them to figure out to shuffle around the buses so that 74th was not all 6000s?

Assuming Blue had all 2600s, its equipment would be compatible, just not with the rest of the fleet, save for the 3200s, which I imagine the Orange 3200s will go to once Orange starts receiving 5000s.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that there are a lot less 2200s in service on the Blue Line and in the Rosemont yard. Also saw one Jefferson Park to UIC consist with a pair of 2200s on one of the inner pairs sitting on the Jefferson Park third track with UIC signs, with all other seen 8 car consists this morning being 2600s. Does anyone have numbers on this yet?

It seems that there are a lot less 2200s in service on the Blue Line and in the Rosemont yard. Also saw one Jefferson Park to UIC consist with a pair of 2200s on one of the inner pairs sitting on the Jefferson Park third track with UIC signs, with all other seen 8 car consists this morning being 2600s. Does anyone have numbers on this yet?

The Pink line lost quite a few #2600 cars last week (10-20 cars) with some of them landing in service on both the Red and Blue lines. I believe the Pink line has #3200-#3193, #3190-#3185, #3182-#3181, #3176-75, #3170-#3169, #3160-#3157 still around. #3180-79 popped up on the blue line and #3096-95 has been on there since last weeks transfers. So they are getting a few cars here and there. I didn't see any #2200's in service this weekend though. At Howard yard, #2580-79 has been put on the side with the #2200's. Something that struck me as odd was a few #2500's on the other side of the yard (#2593-94) where the Red line lays up. Maybe there looking to put a few more #2400's in storage.

The Pink line lost quite a few #2600 cars last week (10-20 cars) with some of them landing in service on both the Red and Blue lines. I believe the Pink line has #3200-#3193, #3190-#3185, #3182-#3181, #3176-75, #3170-#3169, #3160-#3157 still around. #3180-79 popped up on the blue line and #3096-95 has been on there since last weeks transfers. So they are getting a few cars here and there. I didn't see any #2200's in service this weekend though. At Howard yard, #2580-79 has been put on the side with the #2200's. Something that struck me as odd was a few #2500's on the other side of the yard (#2593-94) where the Red line lays up. Maybe there looking to put a few more #2400's in storage.

Yes! I was on #3191-92 on Blue Line on Memorial Day (Yesterday) haven't seen any 2200s at all in service that day, I knew it anyways. Do you or anyone knows how many left of 2200s still in Service, are they currently writing off some 2400s now?

Yes! I was on #3191-92 on Blue Line on Memorial Day (Yesterday) haven't seen any 2200s at all in service that day, I knew it anyways. Do you or anyone knows how many left of 2200s still in Service, are they currently writing off some 2400s now?

I don't have the answer to this, but would add for the prognosticators that while Bombardier said it shut down its line while procuring replacement parts, it probably had enough work in progress that the logjam will break quickly, and hence, so will the 2200s go.

• 2 weeks later...

Where would they scrap 2200's ?

Is there asbestos ?

The answer is the same as the other recent RFPs for scrap--some scrap dealer bids on them per ton plus or minus the index, and hauls them away. If there is asbestos, that would be the bidder's problem.

is the 2200 series completely retired i didnt see a single one in service this week

No they are not, at least not yet. There are fewer and fewer in consists. There are quite a few complete sets of 2600s (8 cars) and many consists with just 2 2200s in them, but they are still alive and kicking placed in the 2-6 positions of trains.

No they are not, at least not yet. There are fewer and fewer in consists. There are quite a few complete sets of 2600s (8 cars) and many consists with just 2 2200s in them, but they are still alive and kicking placed in the 2-6 positions of trains.

Just spotted #2263-64 working the Blue Line at Forest Park Terminal as only 2 sets with 2600s today.

Add 2207/2208 to those two, as a matter of fact, they are laid up consecutively, though not attached as one consist.

I did caught a ride on 2249-50 last night on the Blue from Harlem/Higgins to Clark/ Lake. It was had (2207-08) with them with 2 group of 2600s (2605-06 Former Red Line)

Rode the Blue line yesterday (to/from the BRT meeting) and saw or rode on 2?13-2?14, 2?17-2?18, 2?59-2?60. There was at least one other set I saw, but I don't remember the car numbers. Also, I don't remember whether 2? is 22.. or 23.. on any of those sets.

I did let my 9 and 10 year old boys with me know this is probably the last time period(from a week to a year) that we would be able to ride the 2200s outiside of IRM.

If anyone knows, I saw what looks like a clip for an old style telephone handset that was bolted to the left upper edge of the "emergency exit" door. My assumption is that this is a holdster for the cell phones the rail operators get for backup emergency communications over the last couple of years.

Why did Chicago get blinker doors on post-war "L" cars in the 1st place ? Because the PCC's had them, and the tradition stuck thru 1969 ?

All I know is that sometimes when I rode them, some of passengers complains that the blinker doors push them away from standing so close to the doors while it opens to the inside of it. Plus same thing that I wanted to ask Why CTA didn't order Flxible Metro (5300s/6000s) with Blinker front doors (which are normal to the Model).

Why did Chicago get blinker doors on post-war "L" cars in the 1st place ? Because the PCC's had them, and the tradition stuck thru 1969 ?

Essentially correct. Either you had 6001-6200 that were built new to PCC specifications, or 6200-6720 and 1-50, which were built from PCC salvage parts, I assume including the door engines.

I assume you cite 1969 as the delivery of the 2200s. One could think that the tradition stuck until car 2401 (or about 1976), as that was the first thought that the cars had to be accessible, although a real effort was not made to make them accessible (such as by including flip chairs for a wheelchair anchor position) until the 2600s.

As with most things at CTA (such as the specifications for the 3500 series cars, which had to be reformulated to the 5000s) CTA goes with what it knows until forced to change.

Why must they be out of service? Is it to make room in the yards for the 5000s coming in?

Right now there is just ONE SEPTA Silverliner II and ONE St Louis Silverliner-3. The other two SL-II's had transformer and traction motor problems, so that was the end of them. FRA waivers for 40+ year old cars are up on June 30, SEPTA is not renewing, and so they are gone, ready or not, and they are NOT, since the 7 AEM-7 engines are dropping like flies.