CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

3/30/12 9:46p

Brown Line Riders: Service Disruption due to a medical emergency at Francisco. Trains are running between Western and the Loop only.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service between Western and Kimball. Board all trains on the Kimball-Bound platform.

Brown Line Riders: Service Disruption due to a medical emergency at Francisco. Trains are running between Western and the Loop only.

Based on this article, I think you should put up a memorial for the at least three people found dead on CTA tracks this week (also on the Blue Line at the Ashland-Paulina station, and the Red Line at Bryn Mawr.)

To add to what I sent by personal messenger about this exercise, this is now becoming very tasteless. A death is not a medical emergency.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service between Western and Kimball. Board all trains on the Kimball-Bound platform.

I was in the midst of that disruption last night shortly after the occurrance. From what information the Brown Line workers in the affected area were able to give at the time, the person in question either fell or jumped off the platform at Francisco just as a Brown Line train was moving through that station and they had to cut power all the way through to Kimball so they could apparently (I say apparently because at that time they had no info of if the person was dead or alive yet very seriously injured) recover the poor soul's body and let CFD and CPD officials do whatever necessary investigations into what happened. I can tell you starting out through the beginning of the emergency they had no train service at the Western station either as the rail attendants were initially told though the Brown Line workers on duty were doing their best to assist in what was understandably a hectic situation. My only frustration was that CTA supervisors had no clear coordination of where they were actually turning trains around and therefore were not giving these poor guys accurate information to help them assist passengers better. I left the Kimball station by way of the 81 Lawrence to the Western station only to get told by that attendant and a rail supervisor that trains would be starting at the Damen station instead. Just as they were relaying that info a female employee could be heard over the station intercom saying that there would be Brown Line service only between Belmont and the Loop. I decided not to take any chances on playing the guessing game of who was right so I took another Lawrence bus and just rode that to the Red Line to get into downtown. As I said the station attendants in the affected area along with those Brown Line operators at Kimball were quite professional and kept their cool trying to direct people to closeby alternative service in the midst of questions from passengers frustrated with the miscommunication and inaccurate info from higher ranking CTA personnel. And I have to take my hat off to those 81 Lawrence operators who were just letting folks on free east of Kimball to try to get to wherever Brown Line trains were actually in service or instead bypassing the Brown Line altogether and opting for the Red Line.

I was in the midst of that disruption last night shortly after the occurrance. ... My only frustration was that CTA supervisors had no clear coordination of where they were actually turning trains around and therefore were not giving these poor guys accurate information to help them assist passengers better.

The main reason I posted my prior comment was that this was another incident similar to the one Kevin O'Neil of the CTA Tattler reported last Monday about the disruption on the Red Line at Berwyn. I'm in no position to judge one way or the other the CTA's response, but did note that there were three of those in one week or so, this one being the third.

As far as someone doing a service for someone, apparently our version of Molly Sullivan, Steve Maryberry, Catherine Hosinski, or Brain Steele didn't get the word to you or Kevin O'Neil, or anyone else with regard to any of the three indicated instances. Since O'Neil's brother works for CTA IT on some projects, I think he would know where to go and it is not here.

Anyway, O'Neil posted what a "medical emergency" and "police activity" usually means in this context, and I believe he is correct.

I'm not posting stuff like UP NW line train 632 expected at Ogilvie Station at 8:52 a.m. was delayed because of police activity near Crystal Lake, nor 3 times UP N line was delayed in Lake Forest for medical emergencies. And despite hurting someone's feelings again, I stand on my statement that that kind of posting about the CTA is tasteless. Nothing offensive about that.

4/7/12 8:56a

***Loop-Renewal Rail Alerts***

Chicagobus.org Forum,

Throughout most weekends of 2012, the CTA will be rebuilding the Loop tracks in the following areas:

-Along the Wells and Van Buren sections of the "L"

-The Tower 18 and 12 Junctions at Lake/Wells and Wabash/Van Buren, respectively

-Hubbard Curve, just north of the Merchandise Mart station

-A small portion of Elevated track along Wabash Ave. between Adams and Van Buren

During the weekend construction, Brown, Orange, Green, Purple and Pink line trains will be rerouted, have service suspended in some locations, having service replaced with Bus Shuttles. Information will be placed here as to what work will be done on the Loop tracks, which rail line(s) will be affected and how service will operate on that weekend of construction.

I know most chicagobus.org members are ok with this Rail Service Alerts thread, but with such a high volume project causing alerts on weekends during daylight, this topic will get lots of updates, possibly annoying some individuals(they know who they are, as do most on here). To all other members, I thank you for your patience as these project alerts get logged along with any other daylight alerts causing interruptions or delays along the "L" system that I catch. This isn't just my thread, though. All chicagobus.org members are welcome to post "L" Rail Service Alerts that are noticed.

The Loop "L" Track Renewal Project is set to be completed by Fall 2012.

Thank you for you attention,

-sw4400

• Upvote 1

Where's Hubbard Cave?

The Kennedy Expressway underpass where the railroads cross over just north of Lake St.

Named after Eddie Hubbard who was then the morning man on WGN radio.

Don't know how that's relevant to transit, though.

If you look on this link here, that dotted square just past Merchandise Mart on the Brown Line heading north to Chicago is Hubbard Cave.

This photo shows a portion of Hubbard Cave.

No it isn't. A cave would imply an enclosed area.

If you don't believe me, look here.

Did anyone mean Hubbard Curve, which is just north of the Merchandise Mart Brown/Purple Line station?

That might be.

4/13/12 10:36a

Upcoming Alert for 4/21, 4/22, and early morning 4/23/12

Brown, Orange, and Pink Line Riders: Planned Reroute for Loop Renewal Project.

Orange and Brown Line:

Trains will operate as one route between Kimball and Midway, running in both directions via the Lake and Wabash sides of the Loop Elevated tracks. Transfers to/from the Blue Line Subway may be made at Clark/Lake and to/from the Red Line Subway at State/Lake* or Roosevelt.

Pink Line:

Trains will begin/end their trips at Roosevelt station. Transfers to/from the Blue Line Subway may be made at Clark/Lake and to/from the Red Line Subway at State/Lake* or Roosevelt

Note: Green Line trains are not affected and will operate normally in both directions via Lake and Wabash.

*=Farecard required for transfer at these stations.

4/14/12 11:15a

Upcoming Alert for 4/20/12

Orange and Pink Line Riders: Planned Reroute for Loop Renewal Project. Orange and Pink Line trains will be operating counterclockwise on the Outer Loop. Board/Exit all Orange and Pink Line trains on the Brown Line platform at all Loop stations

4/16/12 11:03a

Red Line Riders: Service Disruption as subway trains are being rerouted to the elevated tracks between Fullerton and Cermak-Chinatown due to Fire Dept. Activity.

Train Service to 95th: After stopping at Fullerton, trains will stop at the following stops: Armitage, Sedgwick, Chicago, Merchandise Mart, Clark/Lake, State/Lake, Randolph/Wabash, Madison/Wabash, Adams/Wabash, Roosevelt, then resume regular route from Cermak-Chinatown to 95th

Train Service to Howard: After Cermak-Chinatown, trains will stop at all above stops in reverse order, then after Fullerton continue normally to Howard.

Service Interruption Update: Service has been disrupted in the State Street Subway due to reports of smoke near the State/Lake subway station.(Story)

Looks like the upcoming NATO Summit in May might have an impact on CTA Bus and Rail Routes. To what effect is unknown at this time...(story)

And what a better time for all this to happen... on the Cubs/White Sox Crosstown Weekend. As if CTA traffic isn't going to be busy enough!!! :o

4/28/12 11:48a

Upcoming Alert for 4/29/12

Brown Line Riders: Minor Delays as trains in both directions will operate on a single track between Southport and Belmont. This is due to track maintenance to ensure trains continue to operate safely on the Brown Line.