CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

9/17/12 10:08p

Upcoming Alert for 9/21 @ 10p, 9/22, 9/23 and early morning 9/24/12

***Loop-Renewal Rail Alerts***

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown, Orange, Pink, Green

Service Interruption Severity: Planned Reroute for Loop-Renewal Project

Brown and Orange Lines: Trains will operate as one route, between Kimball and Midway, via Wells and Van Buren.

Green Line: Trains will operate between Harlem and 63rd via Wells and Van Buren.

Pink Line: Trains will operate between 54th/Cermak and Downtown via Wells and Van Buren. Trains will begin/end their trips at Roosevelt station.

Passengers may transfer between the Loop Elevated, Blue and Red Line Subways at Harold Washington Library*(Loop Elevated Trains) and Jackson(Dearborn and State St. Subways) Stations.

*= Farecard required for transfer at these stations

9/17/12 10:36p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Service Interruption Severity: Service Disruption & Major Delays due to a medical emergency in the area of Kedzie.

Service Interruption Update: Service is suspended on the Brown Line from Belmont to Kimball due to the ongoing medical emergency.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses are operating between Kimball and Belmont with trains running from Belmont to the Loop only at this time.

Service was interrupted due to a bicyclist hit by a train at Kedzie (Story)

9/20/12 11:23a

Upcoming Alert for 10/5/12 @ 11:59p until 11/16/12 @ 11:59p

***Red Line North Station Interim Improvement Project Alert***

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Service Interruption Severity: Berwyn Station will temporarily close for six weeks. Riders can use Bryn Mawr or Argyle, located a few blocks from Berwyn, as alternates.

Alternate Service: Riders can also use the #36 Broadway, #147 Outer Drive Express and #151 Sheridan buses as alternates. Additionally, the #92 Foster, #144 Marine/Michigan Express, #146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express and #N151 Sheridan(Owl Service) will be rerouted to serve Bryn Mawr Station during the closure of Berwyn.

This is due to station construction that is part of the Red Line North Station Interim Improvement Project.

9/22/12 11:20a

Upcoming Alert for 9/28 @ 10p, 9/29, 9/30 and early morning 10/1/12

***Loop-Renewal Rail Alerts***

Rail Line(s) Affected: Orange, Green

Service Interruption Severity: Planned Work w/Partial Suspension

Rail Service:

-Orange Line trains will operate between Midway and Roosevelt

-Green Line trains will operate in two sections:

-Between Harlem/Lake and the Loop, operating via the Outer Loop(Brown)

-Between Ashland/63rd-Cottage Grove and Roosevelt

Alternate Service:

Shuttle buses replace rail service between Roosevelt and the Loop

-Transfer to shuttle buses to the Loop at Roosevelt and buses to Roosevelt at the Harold Washington Library Station.

-Red Line subway trains are also available for alternate service between Roosevelt and Downtown.

9/28/12 11:23a

Upcoming Alert for 9/28/12 @ 10:00p until 10/1/12 @ 4:00a

***Red Line North Station Interim Improvement Project Alert***

Service Interruption Severity: Howard-bound trains will not stop at Bryn Mawr, Thorndale, Granville, Loyola, Morse or Jarvis stations.

For service from these stations, take a 95th-bound train to Berwyn and transfer to a Howard-bound train.

For service to these stations, take a Howard-bound train to Howard and transfer to a 95th-bound train.

This is due to station construction, track renewal and viaduct construction that is part of the Red Line North Station Interim Improvement Project.

10/1/12 1:15p

Service Interruption Severity: Service Disruption w/ Major Delays due to a derailment in the area of Granville.

Alternate Service: Consider using the #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #147 Outer Drive Express, #151 Sheridan and #155 Devon buses as alternates between Howard and Thorndale.

Service Interruption Update(1:20p): Service on the Red Line has been suspended between Howard and Belmont. A bus shuttle service is being created at this time... Trains are only operating between Belmont and 95th/Dan Ryan at this time...

Service Interruption Update(1:49p): Service on the Red Line has been suspended between Howard and Addison. A bus shuttle service has been established to connect passengers from Howard to Addison.

Service Interruption Update(1:57p): Red Line service continues to be suspended between Howard and Addison due to switching problems near Granville. A bus shuttle remains in service between the affected area(s) and rail service remains in service between Belmont and 95th/Dan Ryan.

Service Interruption Update(2:22p) Red Line service continues to be suspended between Howard and Berwyn due to a track malfunction near Granville. A bus shuttle remains in service between the affected area(s) and rail service remains in service between Berwyn and 95th/Dan Ryan.

Service Interruption Update(2:26p) Red Line Service is now being restored with residual delays expected for a bit. Bus shuttle service should be eliminated or soon eliminated. Full service should be restored by 3:00p.

Zoom in from Chopper 7 HD shows unit #2711-2712 as the derailed married car pair.

ABC 7 News Story

Guest ctafan630

It's now being called a "track malfunction."

Google maps does not show any crossovers around the Thorndale Station. Has a crossover been added near the station?

Google maps does not show any crossovers around the Thorndale Station. Has a crossover been added near the station?

All other reports say Granville, not Thorndale.

See the ABC7 story linked in sw's original post, which shows crossovers.

Guest ctafan630

All other reports say Granville, not Thorndale.

See the ABC7 story linked in sw's original post, which shows crossovers.

Thanks. When I typed the address I found in one of the news reports into google maps it showed the location location closer to Thorndale.

Getting back to the derailment incident yesterday(or one set of wheels, two tracks.... whatever the CTA prefers to call it :lol: ), how does that happen??? All the rail lines have crossovers like that... I know the Brown Line does between Irving Park and Addison and I think Irving Park and Montrose. But aren't those switches controlled by the Rail Operator, who has to manually switch them? There isn't any towers near the switches, and I don't think there is a tower near Granville, where the derailment incident occured. If the wheels tripped the switch, then how is that possible???

Getting back to the derailment incident yesterday(or one set of wheels, two tracks.... whatever the CTA prefers to call it :lol: ), how does that happen??? All the rail lines have crossovers like that... I know the Brown Line does between Irving Park and Addison and I think Irving Park and Montrose. But aren't those switches controlled by the Rail Operator, who has to manually switch them? There isn't any towers near the switches, and I don't think there is a tower near Granville, where the derailment incident occured. If the wheels tripped the switch, then how is that possible???

I noted several suspicious questions like this in the CTA Tattler comments.

The first question was that since the Yellow Line was also down, even though it doesn't go anywhere near Granville, does that mean that the new switching/signal setup at Howard is controlling down the line?

Didn't the operator have to go through some red signal, either in the cab or a "red over red, stop and stay" at the switch?

This also sort of sounds somewhat similar to the one at 59th Junction, where the front car went to Englewood and the back to Jackson Park (or vice versa), causing a derailment.

Finally, I wonder if any of this had to do with the periodic track closures on that line.

At least this wasn't like the two Metra RID derailments at 47th, where the engineer tried going through a thrown switch at 70 mph.

I noted several suspicious questions like this in the CTA Tattler comments.

The first question was that since the Yellow Line was also down...

That was odd that there was no mention of any service disruption or suspension of Yellow Line service during the derailment fiasco on the Red Line near Granville. I was actually expecting some disruption or suspension of Purple Line Express service because of the derailment being right near the Purple Line tracks(I think those farthest out were the Northbound tracks to Howard/Linden to the left of #2712 where it was facing)

*Photo copyrighted to ABC7Chicago*

post-10-13492086433586_thumb.jpg

That was odd that there was no mention of any service disruption or suspension of Yellow Line service during the derailment fiasco on the Red Line near Granville. I was actually expecting some disruption or suspension of Purple Line Express service because of the derailment being right near the Purple Line tracks(I think those farthest out were the Northbound tracks to Howard/Linden to the left of #2712 where it was facing)

*Photo copyrighted to ABC7Chicago*

Question? Is the car involved the fourth car or the eight car in the consist?

David H.

Question? Is the car involved the fourth car or the eight car in the consist?

David H.

The Tribune story here says the last car of the train came to rest straddling two sets of tracks, angled away from the rest of the train... so I get from that little bit of info that the eighth car must've split the switch.

The Tribune story here says the last car of the train came to rest straddling two sets of tracks, angled away from the rest of the train... so I get from that little bit of info that the eighth car must've split the switch.

At least from that story, 7/8ths of the train got onto the oncoming track before the operator was able to stop it.

Hence, I would doubt that the 8th car actually caused the problem, although that does sound more like the 59th Jct. situation.

At least from that story, 7/8ths of the train got onto the oncoming track before the operator was able to stop it.

Why would a southbound train end up on the northbound track? Was there a re-route leftover from the weekend? Or a single-tracking? And northbound Reds were using the NB Purple express track.

I cannot picture that a SB took a wrong lineup and it took the operator seven cars to stop.

Hence, I would doubt that the 8th car actually caused the problem, although that does sound more like the 59th Jct. situation.

Ehh...most fans have an erroneous idea about the two 59th St. incidents. I'm curious....what are yours?

David H.

Why would a southbound train end up on the northbound track? Was there a re-route leftover from the weekend? Or a single-tracking? And northbound Reds were using the NB Purple express track.

I cannot picture that a SB took a wrong lineup and it took the operator seven cars to stop.

OK, a trip to the CTA website answered my question..."reroute."

"Howard-bound Trains Bypass Wilson Thru Granville Stations; Boarding Change at Sheridan Station

Planned Work w/Station(s) Bypassed

icon_nopredictions_13x13.gifAffects Train Tracker prediction availability (<a href="http://www.transitchicago.com/traintracker/help.aspx#predictiondisablement" style="color: rgb(0, 161, 222); text-decoration: underline; ">What's this?)

Howard-bound trains will not stop at Wilson, Lawrence, Berwyn, Bryn Mawr, Thorndale, or Granville stations.Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:00 PM to Thu, Oct 4 2012 4:00 AM

Ehh...most fans have an erroneous idea about the two 59th St. incidents. I'm curious....what are yours?

David H.

David H.

As I said above, somehow the switch was activated with the train over it with some cars going to Englewood and others to Jackson Park. Why, I'll let the NTSB find out.

As I said above, somehow the switch was activated with the train over it with some cars going to Englewood and others to Jackson Park. Why, I'll let the NTSB find out.

That's totally incorrect. No switch was activated in either incidents. Operator error, times two.

DH

Oops...Hit button too soon.

There were two clues that explained it all in the "re-enactment" the following day. 1. All four cars were derailed. 2. The "re-enactment" used two trains. Now can you tell what happened and why the front car went Englewood and JPK at the same time?

DH

That's totally incorrect. No switch was activated in either incidents. Operator error, times two.

DH

So, I guess this is times three, or both sets of pictures in the media were incorrect

As usual, I assume that you aren't elucidating on the underlying cause, again, since some other self proclaimed former CTA employee claimed that these kind of signal comprehension errors don't exist.

David H.

Usually when that type of reroute happens, its because one half of the ROW is shutdown with the other half open (ex track 1 and 2 closed ; 3 and 4 open). That leaves the Northbound train operating on NB express tracks while SB reds use the NB red line track