CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

4/29/12 11:48a

Green and Orange Line Riders: Major Delays due to an incident in the area of Roosevelt.

Alternate Service:

Use #62 Archer or #29 State bus

Service Interruption Update:

Orange Line service is suspended between Halsted and the Loop. Trains are only operating between Halsted and Midway at this time.

Green Line service is suspended between the 35th-Bronzeville-IIT station and Adams/Wabash. Trains are operating in two sections:

-Between Harlem/Lake and the Loop(returning via the Pink/Orange Line side)

-Between 35th/Bronzeville-IIT and 63rd St. station.

Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

For those heading from downtown to the South Side, the Red Line is another alternate.

Service is interrupted due to a derailment of a Chartered 4-car train of 2200's just south of the Roosevelt station.

Story

Service is interrupted due to a derailment of a 4-car train just south of the Roosevelt station.

4-car train consisting of... 2200s. :blink:

https://twitter.com/#!/abalderrama/status/196645213194829824/photo/1

https://twitter.com/#!/andreslopezf/status/196647930881511425/photo/1

4-car train consisting of... 2200s. :blink:

https://twitter.com/#!/abalderrama/status/196645213194829824/photo/1

https://twitter.com/#!/andreslopezf/status/196647930881511425/photo/1

From the looks of it, it was a charter/fantrip consist of 2200s. No CTA revenue run currently uses 2200s by themselves.

From the looks of it, it was a charter/fantrip consist of 2200s. No CTA revenue run currently uses 2200s by themselves.

Sun-Times reports it was indeed a charter but with this twist: "One car carried the train buffs while the other two cars carried regular passengers."

Reportedly it was a ~$100/person excursion to raise money for IRM. I can't find anything online about this event.

Sun-Times reports it was indeed a charter but with this twist: "One car carried the train buffs while the other two cars carried regular passengers."

Reportedly it was a ~$100/person excursion to raise money for IRM. I can't find anything online about this event.

Funny how the Sun-Times report says the Red Line service appears to be running... Hello!!! The Red Line runs underground after Fullerton until Cermak-Chinatown!!! At Roosevelt, the Red Line is still in the Subway.

That is weird though, Kevin. There was no mention anywhere about this charter train. I had to do a double take at the twitter pics and checked my Blue Line roster to see if these were retired 2200's that were being moved to who knows where until I read the report(I know Howard Yard has some 2200's). But no, units 2279-2280 are revenue Blue Line train cars.

I looked at the Tribune photos from the Tribune. They said the train was a 4-car consist of 2200's(2303-2304,2279-2280), but what is 2415-2416 doing with the units??? Were they just transporting the CTA Workers to the derailment?

Must be, as all pictures on TV were of 4 2200s. 2415-2416 are certainly decked out for work service. Also some of the later news reports only showed 3 cars. It looks, from the picture as the work cars are pulling the 4th car free.

I can't wait for these 2200s to be gone already. Anytime CTa starts putting the 5000s in service on the Pink Line, I hope they feel free to take the 2600s on that line immediately to the Blue Line and start retiring the 2200s in earnest.

4/30/12 11:12a

Pink Line Riders: Significant Delays in the area of 54th/Cermak, due to a stalled train.

Alternate Service:

Bus Shuttle service is available through the affected area(s). Also, the #21 Cermak bus is available as an alternate.

However, the question is was this a 5000 series train that stalled? It is about that time for the 5000s to be reintroduced into revenue service. I know the announcement said May, but certainly a 5000 series train could be out for training today.

I can't wait for these 2200s to be gone already. Anytime CTa starts putting the 5000s in service on the Pink Line, I hope they feel free to take the 2600s on that line immediately to the Blue Line and start retiring the 2200s in earnest.

However, the question is was this a 5000 series train that stalled? It is about that time for the 5000s to be reintroduced into revenue service. I know the announcement said May, but certainly a 5000 series train could be out for training today.

Yesterday I couldn't help but notice that the #5000's usually laid up on the shop tracks at Skokie shops, appear to be on the move. The only #5000's up there were either what was sitting on a flatbed (2 cars) or what recently arrived. As far as the #2200's involved in the derailment, I wonder if those cars that derailed suffered any damage. If so, they might not be back. It might just be easier to put them on a hold status, than repair them.

Yesterday I couldn't help but notice that the #5000's usually laid up on the shop tracks at Skokie shops, appear to be on the move. The only #5000's up there were either what was sitting on a flatbed (2 cars) or what recently arrived. As far as the #2200's involved in the derailment, I wonder if those cars that derailed suffered any damage. If so, they might not be back. It might just be easier to put them on a hold status, than repair them.

It doesn't look like they suffered damage. Plus cars selected by the shops for charter runs are ususally the best runners, so those cars will probably go back into service.

David Harrison

According to the Yahoo group IRMlist, the charter on Sunday wasn't an official IRM one. Some attendees were IRM members and the media must have made an assumption.

That makes sense, in that, while I had made the counter assumption earlier, this didn't show up on the IRM site, and wasn't promoted elsewhere, like the CTA Tattler.

Of course, many of the TV stations were saying that they were raising money for IRM, but it was noted in this forum that IRM had already run fundraisers for the 2200s.

5/2/12 11:42a

Upcoming Alert for 5/12, 5/13, and early morning 5/14/12

***Loop-Renewal Rail Alerts***

Brown, Orange and Pink Line Riders: Planned Reroute for Loop-Renewal Project

Brown and Orange Lines:

Trains will operate as one route, between Kimball and Midway running in both directions via the Lake and Wabash sides of the Loop Elevated. Transfers to/from the Blue Line Subway may be made at Clark/Lake and to/from the Red Line Subway at State/Lake* or Roosevelt.

Pink Line:

Trains will begin/end their trips at Roosevelt station. Transfers to/from the Blue Line Subway may be made at Clark/Lake and to/from the Red Line Subway at State/Lake* or Roosevelt.

Green Line Trains are not affected and will operate normally in both directions via Lake and Wabash.

*= Farecard required for transfer at these stations

5/2/12 5:00p

Upcoming Alert for 5/11/12 @ 9p

***Loop-Renewal Rail Alerts***

Brown Line Riders: Planned Reroute as trains will operate on the Inner Loop, following the Orange and Pink Line routing. Trains will enter the Loop and will make all stops along Lake, Wabash, Van Buren and Wells before continuing to Kimball.

• 2 weeks later...

5/12/12 2:23p

***NATO Summit Rail Alerts 5/18/12-5/21/12***

All CTA Rail Lines: No Delays/Interruptions Expected during the Summit next weekend, but with the variables of protestors, motorcades, Secret Service coming up with sudden service interruptions, Alerts could come up with little or no warning. Alerts will be posted here and on the CTA webpage if any occur.