CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

1 hour ago, geneking7320 said:

Does it seem that there is a high number of delays [on the Red Line] caused by sick passengers?

'Tis the season, @geneking7320(no, probably just coincidence).... but we should put this to music....

I'm dreaming of Rail Alerts
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the train stops running
Or someone needs a doctor
Or a track switch stopped working up ahead

{Long Chorus with Music} (Hey, I can't think of lines for the whole song here!!! :PxD )

I'm dreaming of Rail Alerts
With every Rail Alert I find
May your delays, delays, delays be short and quickly resolved
And may all your remaining trip....... be nice.

• Upvote 2

12/26/16 1:46p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Purple

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Partially Suspended

Information: Purple Line service has been temporarily suspended between Linden and Central due to an obstruction. As a result, trains are operating only between Howard and Central at this time.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service through the affected area(s).

Media Source(s): ABC7

Rail Alert Purple Line December 26, 2016.jpg

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Blue lines definitely screwed up I got a nb but the sb seems nonexistent.  They have a pick up truck stopped in the express lanes east of irving park/blue and some workers are doing rail work with heavy rail hammers

I know it's probably not related but what is up with the track over in that section?  It's like when they were doing the rebuild and after right there there was a constant problem there for a quick sec now rail work a few years later? 

1/1/17 12:50a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Purple,Yellow

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Service on the Purple and Yellow Line is experiencing delays. Trains in both directions are operating on the same track at Howard due to track switching problems. Purple and Yellow Line will board and alight on the 95th-bound side of the platform at the Howard.

Rail Alert Purple Line January 1, 2017.jpg

Rail Alert Yellow Line January 1, 2017.jpg

1/9/17 2:30p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays w/Station(s) Bypassed

Information: 95th-bound service is not stopping at Jarvis, Morse, Loyola, Granville, Thorndale, and Bryn Mawr due to a track condition

• For service from these stations toward 95th, take a Howard-bound train to Howard and transfer to a 95th-bound train.
  • For 95th-bound service to these stations exit at Berwyn, and transfer to a Howard-bound train.

Howard-bound service is unaffected

Alternate Service: Consider #36 Broadway and #151 Sheridan buses as alternative.

Rail Alert Red Line January 9, 2017.jpg

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Information: 95th-bound service is not stopping at Jarvis, Morse, Loyola, Granville, Thorndale, and Bryn Mawr due to a track condition

What are they doing, putting on a demonstration while the temporary head of the FTA is in the neighborhood?

1/11/17 11:05a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Partially Suspended

Information: Brown Line service has been temporarily suspended between Merchandise Mart into the Loop due to track condition. As a result, trains are operating only between Merchandise Mart and Kimball at this time.

Alternate Service: Shuttle buses are available to provide connecting service from Merchandise Mart and Clark/Lake.

Rail Alert Brown Line January 11, 2017.jpg

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

What is a track condition and why are they starting to pop up more frequently? 

Recently they are using the track condition status for broken or damaged rails, however I think broken ties or any other component of the running rails or third rail could also set off this alert. With the cold weather we've been having, rails are more likely to have problems (Metra slows trains down to reduce increased wear for example). This can also be a problem in the summer with the heat affecting operations too.

I forget what alert they used when a Blue Line train knocked over its own third rail though.