Red Line South Reconstruction Bus Changes

renardo870

As CTA approaches the Red Line South reconstruction project on May 19, 2013, I am wondering about the bus lines that will be affected for the duration of this huge operation. Bus routes from four garages will be affected...Kedzie, 74th, 77th and 103rd. In addition to the temporary bus changes, there will be five express shuttles (RED 95th-Garfied, RED 87th-Garfied, RED 79th-Garfield, RED 69th-Garfied, RED Roosevelt-Chinatown) and one local shuttle (RED 95th-RED 63rd) to move displaced riders. I am curious about the routes affected. Some are no brainer but others are possibilites. Here are my thoughts (ONLY THOUGHTS) on the upcoming changes:

1 Bronzeville Union Station...Extended to INDIANA or GARFIELD RED/GREEN.

2 Hyde Park Express...Expanded sevice downtown.

3 King Drive...Short turns Chicago State to GARFIELD RED/GREEN as local or express, thru service or X3 King Drive Express.

4 Cottage Grove...Short turns Chicago State to GARFIELD RED/GREEN or COTTAGE GROVE GREEN or X4 Cottage Grove Express.

N5 South Shore Night...Bus Rerouted to GARFIELD RED/GREEN.

6 Jackson Park Express...Expanded Service downtown.

8 Halsted...Expanded service to Halsted/63rd RED Station.

8A South Halsted...Expanded and extended service to HALSTED/63RD RED station.

9 Ashland...Frequent Ashland/63rd RED- 95th Short turn service, X9 Ashland Express or a variation of the two.

14 Jeffery Jump...Expanded/Extended service to/from downtown.

15 Jeffery Local...Expanded/Extended service to/from 51st RED/GREEN Line Station.

21 Cermak...connection to Roosevelt/Chinatown Shuttle.

24 Wentworth...Expanded/Extended service 87th to Downtown and connections to RED 95th - 63rd and RED Roosevelt - Chinatown.

26 South Shore Express...Expanded/Extended service 106th/Mackinaw to Downtown.

28 Stony Island...Expanded/Extended serviceto 47th RED/GREEN Line station and Union Station

29 State...More Frequent service between 95th Red and Navy Pier, with connections to RED X95th, RED X87th, RED X79th, RED X69th, RED 95th - 63RD and RED Roosevelt- Chinatown.

30 South Chicago...Possible reroute to GARFIED RED/GREEN LINE Station or Connect @69TH RED to XRED 69th-GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE Express SHUTTLE and LRED 63RD-95TH LOCAL SHUTTLE.

34 South Michigan, 95E 93/95th, 95W West 95th, 100 Jeffery Manor Express, 103 West 103rd, 106 East 103rd, 108 Halsted 95th*, 111 King Drive/111th, 112 Vincennes/111th* 115th Pullman 115th and 119 Michigan 119th....Connection @95TH RED to RED X95th-Garfiend Express Shuttles, LRED 95th-63rd Local Shuttles.

35 31st/35th...Direct service to BRONZEVILLE-35TH-IIT RED/GREEN LINE STATION.

39 Pershing...Direct service to INDIANA RED/GREEN LINE STATION.

43 43rd...Direct service to 43RD RED/GREEN LINE STATION.

44 Wallace/Racine...Reroute to HALSTED or ASHLAND/63RD RED LINE STATION

47 47th...Direct service to 47TH RED GREEN LINE STATION.

51 51st...Direct service to 51ST RED/GREEN LINE STATION.

55 Garfield...Direct service to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE STATION connecting with RED X95th, RED X87th, RED X79th, RED X69th.

59 59th/61st...Reroute to A) GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE, http://forum.chicagobus.org/uploads/default_cool.png COTTAGE GROVE GREEN LINE STATION, C) HALSTED RED LINE STATION.

63 63rd...Expanded service between 63rd/Stony Island and MIDWAY ORANGE LINE STATION VIA ASHLAND/63RD RED LINE STATION and LRED 63RD-95TH LOCAL SHUTTLE.

67 67th/69th/71st...Connect to XRED 69th-GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE Express SHUTTLE and LRED 63RD-95TH LOCAL SHUTTLE.

71 71st/South Shore...Reroute to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE STATION or Connect to XRED 69th-GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE Express SHUTTLE and LRED 63RD-95TH LOCAL SHUTTLE @69TH RED LINE STATION.

75 74th/75th and 79 79th...Connections with XRED 79th-GARFIELD EXPRESS SHUTTLE and LRED 95TH 63RD LOCAL SHUTTLE @79TH RED.

87 87th...Connections with RED X87th-GARFIELD EXPRESS SHUTTLE and RED 63rd-95th LOCAL SHUTTLE @ 87TH RED.

RED LOCAL 63rd-95th MAY change to RED LOCAL GARFIED RED/GREEN TO 95th RED STOPPING AT ALL STOPS GARFIELD RED TO 95TH RED.

108 Halsted/95th* and 112 Vincennes/111th* may go express from 95th/Halsted and 95th/Vincennes, respectively to HALSTED/63RD RED LINE.

RED X95 95th to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE

RED X87 87th to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE

RED X79 79th to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE

RED X69 69th to GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE

RED L63 63rd RED or GARFIELD RED/GREEN LINE to 95th RED STOPPING AT 95th, 87th, 79th, 69th, 63rd..possible extension to Garfield RED/GREEN CTA.

Again, these are just ideas of connections and service adjustments and not etched in stone. Feel free to weigh in and share. I am sure we will get the facts from our CTA sources as the time approaches. Thanks and have a great day.

You used a whole lot of space, but to condense it:

There certainly isn't any reason to extend 1 back from where it was just cut; the Green Line is parallel.

Unlikely that any short turns would be added, although more downtown service might be.

Unlikely that X routes would be reinstated, although possibly more downtown service.

30-I think CTA did mention that both 30 and 71 would go to Garfield.

Anything south of Garfield: CTA is providing a free shuttle and 50 cents off boarding, so it certainly isn't going to extend all those routes northward in duplication of the free shuttle. The only exception is that it indicated that 8A would be extended to 63rd.

• Like 1

Outside of extending the (35, 43, 47, 51, 55, 59, 63) crosstown routes a few blocks east to the green line and 30/71, the only big difference I anticipate would be the 24.

Otherwise, just make the transfer to go north at the appropriate locations. Extended service, perhaps, but not much else as far as new routing.

Any routes south of 95th won't go any further north than 95th. Take metra if one feels that they NEED the express.

Well CTA doesn't have the money or buses to do all that. Some ideas are interesting like running x service to Garfield/Green, but they probably wouldn't do that. The shuttles will cover that, and this idea would probably take service away from the shuttles. While it would make sense to run an express bus to Roosevelt, the bus would be majorly overcrowded because everyone would try to ride it. It should be interesting to see what happens though especially after what happened with the Wells Street bridge project..

• Upvote 2

I notice CTA is builiding a Bus Terminal @ Garfield Green for the Red Line Shuttles on the east side of the station and I know it will be a LOAD and GO situation and the .50 cent discount will be great. The 15 and the 51 could just transfer at the 51st St Station. As far as the 28 goes, they may just add more service downtown but there was a time when 28 and 47 shared the street between 47th/Lake Park and 47th/Indiana and more recent, between 47th/King Dr and the RED Line before South Lakefront changes 10 years ago.

On 3/15/2013 at 12:01 PM, Busjack said:

You used a whole lot of space, but to condense it:

There certainly isn't any reason to extend 1 back from where it was just cut; the Green Line is parallel.

Unlikely that any short turns would be added, although more downtown service might be.

Unlikely that X routes would be reinstated, although possibly more downtown service.

30-I think CTA did mention that both 30 and 71 would go to Garfield.

Anything south of Garfield: CTA is providing a free shuttle and 50 cents off boarding, so it certainly isn't going to extend all those routes northward in duplication of the free shuttle. The only exception is that it indicated that 8A would be extended to 63rd.

I wonder what the routing for the 30/71 and possibly N5 would be like? 108 and 112 north of 95th was just an idea...just thinking where would all the shuttle buses line up at...on the west side of the 95th/Terminal bus bay or the North end where the 29 and intercity buses board? 95th/State is a very very busy crossing and traffic in that station can be like downtown..crazy and accident waiting to happen.

I heard that the PACE 353 may either terminate or add a stop @ 103rd/Stony Island bus yard to transfer to the J14, 15, 28 and 106.

Someone suggested that here, then it came up in Pace Minutes as a suggestion, but the announcement of the 2 bus routes to Roosevelt-Wabash didn't mention anything about that. Of course, the only intent would be to transfer to J14.

Well CTA doesn't have the money or buses to do all that. Some ideas are interesting like running x service to Garfield/Green, but they probably wouldn't do that. The shuttles will cover that, and this idea would probably take service away from the shuttles. While it would make sense to run an express bus to Roosevelt, the bus would be majorly overcrowded because everyone would try to ride it. It should be interesting to see what happens though especially after what happened with the Wells Street bridge project..

I somewhat believe the N5 extension will go through because theres no point going to a useless station, plus with a 30 mintue headway I'd imagine it would only add one more bus to the route which only uses 4 buses at the moment. And some of those come from left over 95E's and a driver or 2 from the 29 State. As far as the others, 2, J14, 26 are already on the list to get a boost in service. I don't see why 3,4 or 29 wouldn't get some increase in service. I'm with the others on the 108/112 thing, simply overlaps the shuttles, plus some people simply want to get off somewhere along 95th itself. What do those people do, get off and wait for a 95W adding another reason to frustrate riders down here? Also most of the east-west routes youre suggesting to connect with green line stations already do and stop directly under it except the 51 and 59. Are you suggesting that these trips are short turns terminating at the green line?

I somewhat believe the N5 extension will go through because theres no point going to a useless station, plus with a 30 mintue headway I'd imagine it would only add one more bus to the route which only uses 4 buses at the moment. And some of those come from left over 95E's and a driver or 2 from the 29 State. As far as the others, 2, J14, 26 are already on the list to get a boost in service. I don't see why 3,4 or 29 wouldn't get some increase in service. I'm with the others on the 108/112 thing, simply overlaps the shuttles, plus some people simply want to get off somewhere along 95th itself. What do those people do, get off and wait for a 95W adding another reason to frustrate riders down here? Also most of the east-west routes youre suggesting to connect with green line stations already do and stop directly under it except the 51 and 59. Are you suggesting that these trips are short turns terminating at the green line?

As far as me proposing east west service, that's a question for Renardo, as I didn't say that. (I didn't get the direct link statement, as many of those buses serve the Green line now) Yes, they will be beefing up service on the main lines in those areas, but it probably won't be too much of an increase if you figure there's 100 buses extra and most of them will be on the shuttles.

As far as me proposing east west service, that's a question for Renardo, as I didn't say that. (I didn't get the direct link statement, as many of those buses serve the Green line now) Yes, they will be beefing up service on the main lines in those areas, but it probably won't be too much of an increase if you figure there's 100 buses extra and most of them will be on the shuttles.

My bad, wasn't looking where I was clicking :lol: .

So no changes for Pace 352,359,381 and 395? Are they remaining as it is during this construction?

Yes. Anticipate no changes, other than connections from Harvey and Blue Island.

And as for 353: looks like a stop at 103 seems likely anyway (for J14 connections).

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that the PACE 353 may either terminate or add a stop @ 103rd/Stony Island bus yard to transfer to the J14, 15, 28 and 106.

Route Name: Route 353 95th - River Oaks/ Homewood Notice Type: Service Changes

Description:

Effective Sunday, May 5, 2013, Route 353 95th-River Oaks-Homewood Service Changes.

Service will now connect to the CTA J14 Jeffery Jump!

Beginning May 5, 2013, all Route 353 trips will serve the CTA Stony Island/103rd Street Garage Terminal for connections to the CTA J14 Jeffery Jump to downtown Chicago and CTA Routes 15, 28 and 106.

Passengers will also enjoy more frequent weekday service between River Oaks Mall and the 95th Street CTA Station.

Please note that trip times may change. Some trips will leave earlier or later than currently scheduled. Please consult the new schedule, dated May 5, 2013. They are available online at PaceBus.com and will soon be available on board Route 353 buses.

Thank you for your continued support of Pace services.

For More Information

Edited by renardo870

Effective Sunday, May 5, 2013, Route 353 95th-River Oaks-Homewood Service Changes.

Finally confirmation on what you folks were predicting, although the better link is here.

Service will now connect to the CTA J14 Jeffery Jump!

Beginning May 5, 2013, all Route 353 trips will serve the CTA Stony Island/103rd Street Garage Terminal for connections to the CTA J14 Jeffery Jump to downtown Chicago and CTA Routes 15, 28 and 106.

Has anyone seen a rough draft of the bus route changes for the Red Line shutdown? Aside from the Express Shuttles to/from Garfield Green Line station, 95th-63rd local shuttle and Cermak/Chinatown-Roosevelt Shuttle, what else is on the drawing board?

Edited by renardo870

Has anyone seen a rough draft of the bus route changes for the Red Line shutdown? Aside from the Express Shuttles to/from Garfield Green Line station, 95th-63rd local shuttle and Cermak/Chinatown-Roosevelt Shuttle, what else is on the drawing board?

For now, berthing changes/assignments at 95 to accommodate the shuttles.

I wonder how many people will transfer to the J14 come May 19th.

I didn't take the survey :mellow: but if the portion of J14 south of 67th works as represented, it would be less of a hassle than making transfers at 95th and Garfield and navigating both crowds, even if the two transfers are free inbound. Also the transfer at 103rd probably won't be the hectic mess the outbound ones at Garfield and 95th are.

I'm assuming that Metra isn't an alternative in the South Holland and south portions of the route.