Trip to IRM

sw4400

I went with a friend and her little one to IRM today for the Thomas Train Weekend and took in some of the sights there, namely the retired CTA equipment on display.

Things to note:

• The Streetcar(Green Hornet I think they're called) looks in great condition. I don't know if it runs or not.
  • The 1-50 Series car looks good outside, but I'm not sure if it operates mechanically as it was in a barn.
  • The 2200's IRM coupled with the 2000's
  • The 2000's look to be in ok condition. The striping is faded off in spots due to the heavy graffiti in the past. I know they have been ran briefly in the past, what their running status is, I don't know.
  • The other set of 2000's(1892-1992) are not looking very good. The paint is peeling and both cars are separated, not even coupled together. These are most likely nothing more than parts cars unless IRM has the resources to rebuild them, but as many members said on here, they've been modified too much.
  • I saw 9799 parked in a bus barn. It looks like it has seen better days. It's green paint is fading in spots and it looks like it has a big rust spot on the front near the driver's window. It's running condition is unknown as no buses were being driven today.

post-10-0-43455800-1377388020_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-15228200-1377388036_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-50226100-1377388050_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-79965900-1377388064_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-80149400-1377388075_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-27810400-1377388087_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-03564200-1377388101_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-63154800-1377388114_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-12143900-1377388129_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-86262700-1377388142_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-42880700-1377388155_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-91992800-1377388168_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-81343000-1377388180_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-97591200-1377388192_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-36634800-1377388206_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-24800300-1377388220_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-11223400-1377388234_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-41469700-1377388247_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-51262300-1377388260_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-26173100-1377388274_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I went with a friend and her little one to IRM today for the Thomas Train Weekend and took in some of the sights there, namely the retired CTA equipment on display....

The main thing to see there is the restored Matchbox streetcar.

The Green Hornet reportedly runs, but I haven't seen it do so.

As I've noted, the only things in which I am interested are cars that are older than what I have ridden in revenue service, which even disqualifies the barn of South Shore cars. I find the barns of streetcars more interesting, even though most are not serviceable.

Nice pictures SW4400!! Now I can see the condition of 1892-1992. They do look pretty worn out

I'm surprised busjack hasn't been on the green hornet. It always seems to run when I go. So it sounds like they moved the 6000 from 50th station. The station is only so big. Something new they were supposed to have was the 5-50, I believe in a livery similar to but not alike to #6101-02. I believe it doesn't have the Green roof which would have been the delivered livery of the 5-50's in 1959, where the green roof cars were more from the 1950-51 era of the first 6000's.

Nice pictures SW4400!! Now I can see the condition of 1892-1992. They do look pretty worn out

I'm surprised busjack hasn't been on the green hornet. It always seems to run when I go. So it sounds like they moved the 6000 from 50th station. The station is only so big. Something new they were supposed to have was the 5-50, I believe in a livery similar to but not alike to #6101-02. I believe it doesn't have the Green roof which would have been the delivered livery of the 5-50's in 1959, where the green roof cars were more from the 1950-51 era of the first 6000's.

I think I seen the 6000-Series railcars in the same barn as 52, but I'm not sure. On that subject, what is 52? Isn't it a 5-50 or a 1-50? I saw the Electric Trolley CTA bus next to the Fishbowl(you can see it on the driver's side of 9799), but it was parked opposite(back facing front). I was thinking of going in for some rear shots of the Fishbowl and some front shots of the Electric Trolley CTA bus, but the barn was dark and honestly, I don't know if IRM allows people to enter and go deep inside those barns to view and photograph vehicles.

...On that subject, what is 52? Isn't it a 5-50 or a 1-50? ...

Former 5002, an articulated 3 part PCC car. CTA received 5001-5004 (apparently ordered as part of the CTA takeover, even if technically by CRT) but then decided to go to the married pair 6000s rather than the articulated car. The cars were refurbished after the Skokie Swift got going, and were renumbered 51-54. In the Bicentennial paint era, 52 became 75. IRM entry is here.

The paired 5-50 cars became 60 series.

On chicago-l.org, go to Rolling Stock->Car Roster->5000-series cars (1947).

If there is somewhere your not supposed to go it's padlocked, but also common sense dictates you wouldn't enter a car under construction or is missing a floor. I believe if you injure yourself it's at your own risk. But you wouldn't enter L cars without stairs anyway. If you want interior pictures of 9799 there should be some on hopetunnel or gmbus.com

If there is somewhere your not supposed to go it's padlocked, but also common sense dictates you wouldn't enter a car under construction or is missing a floor. I believe if you injure yourself it's at your own risk. But you wouldn't enter L cars without stairs anyway. If you want interior pictures of 9799 there should be some on hopetunnel or gmbus.com

I had no intention of entering any railcars or buses whatsoever. What was uncertain was the open access barns holding the buses and railcars. There were more rows of buses and railcars further inside, but I didn't know if IRM would allow someone in there just to take pictures of the exteriors of the buses/cars in there. I would've had some rear shots of 9799 and some front shots of the Electric CTA Trolley Bus then, as well as some more pictures of the 5000-Series railcar and some photos of the 6000-Series railcar I saw in one of the barns.

In the photos of 9799, you can clearly see rows of buses back there. It might've been difficult to get any photos of those buses, but I don't know if people are permitted in there. There are no padlocks or "DO NOT ENTER" signs, so it was a gray area since I was the only one at the bus barn.

I had no intention of entering any railcars or buses whatsoever. What was uncertain was the open access barns holding the buses and railcars. There were more rows of buses and railcars further inside, but I didn't know if IRM would allow someone in there just to take pictures of the exteriors of the buses/cars in there. I would've had some rear shots of 9799 and some front shots of the Electric CTA Trolley Bus then, as well as some more pictures of the 5000-Series railcar and some photos of the 6000-Series railcar I saw in one of the barns.

In the photos of 9799, you can clearly see rows of buses back there. It might've been difficult to get any photos of those buses, but I don't know if people are permitted in there. There are no padlocks or "DO NOT ENTER" signs, so it was a gray area since I was the only one at the bus barn.

9799 is in the Hoffman Garage which is a display barn and usually open for visitors. You are free to walk around the entire building and take any pictures you want. The vehicles themselves are locked for obvious reasons, but if there is someone around from those departments (usually Saturdays), you can ask to go inside a vehicle. If accessible, it shouldn't be an issue. The priority is to house as many vehicles as possible inside. Good for the equipment, challenging for taking photos - but the equipment is the #1 priority.

The Green Hornet is operational is runs quite often. The singles all are operational, the 30 only within a train. The Blue Goose and the 52 are not operational. The 2000s are now fully operational. As always, there are still a few minor things still to do. The 2200s have had power applied via stinger and have moved on their own a very short distance. The next step is to put poles on them so they can be put into the service fleet. Most of the equipment for that is on hand, it is now dependent on the availability of the volunteers. The 2000s have been awarded a grant for repainting. They will be given mint green and alpine white paint as soon as logistics can be worked out. The 2007-2008 were stored outside at CTA for a long time. They show vivid evidence as to why we try to get as much equipment as possible under cover.

There is no "barn of South Shore cars". There are 6 in the collection. At least 1, maybe 2 are in the shop (not open to the public) and at least 2 are in a storage barn not open to the public.

• Upvote 2

There is no "barn of South Shore cars". There are 6 in the collection. At least 1, maybe 2 are in the shop (not open to the public) and at least 2 are in a storage barn not open to the public.

Not a barn of South Shore cars, per se, but of mainline rail equipment. When I was there, it was open in the same sense as any other unlocked barn. There was also a Little Joe there.

Maybe with premises liability concerns, they keep more of the barns locked up, but the mainline barns have been open, including to see the Nebraska Zephyr.

Not a barn of South Shore cars, per se, but of mainline rail equipment. When I was there, it was open in the same sense as any other unlocked barn. There was also a Little Joe there.

Maybe with premises liability concerns, they keep more of the barns locked up, but the mainline barns have been open, including to see the Nebraska Zephyr.

Not including free days (Weekdays in May & Sep), when the museum is open, typically a majority of the barns are unlocked and can be walked through. Open buildings: Barns 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, Hoffman Garage. Closed buildings: Barn 2 (Diesel Shop), Barn 4 (Electric Car Shop, but normally there is work going on and the doors are open so you can watch and ask questions), Barn 10 (rail car storage) and the Anderson Trolley Bus Garage (shop area).

There are a lot of cars which can operate @ I.R.M. Some are not suitable for passengers to ride, however. C.E.R.A.'s 75th Anniversary celebration is approaching [20-22 September 2013], and the focal point on the 21st is a jaunt to I.R.M. I have registered for this. So you can look for photographs from there sometime after.

If the doors are open, you're allowed in!

BTW the Green Hornet PCC was operating all 5 days of Thomas!

There was also a Little Joe there.

South Shore fans will give you 800 lashes with a wet noodle, only the Milwaukee had "Little Joes" on the CSS&SB they were 800 class. BTW the 803 ran on its own Sunday night. See it operate this weekend.

And no need to speculate on things @ IRM as there are several members that can give accurate answers.

South Shore fans will give you 800 lashes with a wet noodle, only the Milwaukee had "Little Joes" on the CSS&SB they were 800 class. BTW the 803 ran on its own Sunday night. See it operate this weekend.

And no need to speculate on things @ IRM as there are several members that can give accurate answers.

The South Shore had passed the story that it got its electric locomotives from an order that originally was supposed to go to the USSR but was blocked when Stalin turned into a bad guy instead of an ally, hence the name after Stalin. Now, if that's b.s......

The South Shore had passed the story that it got its electric locomotives from an order that originally was supposed to go to the USSR but was blocked when Stalin turned into a bad guy instead of an ally, hence the name after Stalin. Now, if that's b.s......

It's not "B.S..... you are correct. All the books I have on the South Shore refer to those electric locos as "Little Joes." There aer a "zillion" examples where railroaders and railfans use different names. And speaking thereof...my sources say the IRM "Little Joe" will be run this Saturday for the Labor Day Weekend Spectacular. And more important to me as a U.P. fan, the Union Pacific DDA40X 6936 (P. Withers Directory) will visit IRM on Saturday. Charge you batteries!!!

• 5 weeks later...

The TV show Chicago Fire is looking for extras to be used for a scene which will be filmed at IRM during October 4-10.

http://www.planitnorthwest.com/articles/2013/09/23/05400923/index.xml#.UkRTMqWSJYI

Leaves the question what kind of accident scene they are planning, other than that it involves railroads.

If 5750 is around, maybe he can lend fire or paramedic assistance. :rolleyes: Maybe it's this :wub: hot of a fire.

Is this the first use of the pink smilie with hearts? I don't think that one has seen much use.

The Little Joe thing is correct. The EF-4 was called the Little Joe, because indeed it originally was meant for export to the USSR. Much as the IRM's Russian Decapod was meant for export to Russia right before the Bolshevik Revolution, which meant most stayed in the USA. Seems there's a pattern of Russian unrest right before locomotives get sent over...

The nickname thing sounds like calling a Pennsy P- series (4-6-4) a Hudson. Calling a 4-6-4 a Hudson around Pennsy fans might be considered an act of suicide.

Is this the first use of the pink smilie with hearts? I don't think that one has seen much use.

You mean this :wub: ? I thought it was a flaming head. Maybe I goofed.

On the Russian point, I'm sure it was when Stalin changed from being our ally in crushing Germany to being our enemy in the Cold War, and I don't think that transition took that long.