Another Year Gone... What Has Changed For CTA?

sw4400

With 2013 just a half hour from being history, let's take a brief look back at changes that have occurred during the period from Jan 1, 2013 to Dec 31, 2013... (there are many I probably haven't included... forum members can add to this list)...

CTA said Farewell to the following in 2013:

• The 2200-Series Railcars(1969-2013). The CTA's oldest fleet of "L" cars finally got a well-deserved retirement after 44 years of dedicated service to Chicago.
  • The magnetic stripe farecards and Chicago Card/Chicago Card Plus(not fully yet, however)
  • The NABI 60-LFW buses(2003-2009). They've been parked for a long time during litigation between CTA, NABI and Detroit Diesel. Finally with all settled, the buses have been sold for scrap and have been removed from CTA property.

CTA Welcomed/continue receiving the following in 2013:

• The CTA's newest payment system.... Ventra. It's still got it's kinks to work out, but it is slowly shaping up to be a more efficient system.
  • The Nova LFS Smart Buses. They are not yet here, but come the turn of the calendar year, the prototype should be appearing for a press conference and perhaps a little tour of the city via one or more bus garages for testing.
  • The New Flyer XE40 buses. These two all electric buses should've been here in 2013, but should be here in early 2014 for a testing period in Chicago's harsh weather climates.
  • The New Flyer DE60LFR and D60LFR buses. The entire fleet(#4300-4332-DE60LFR, #4333-4399-D60LFR) are on CTA property and have logged miles on Chicago's streets now running up and down assigned routes.
  • The New Flyer D40LF(#1000-2029) mid-life overhauls. These have begun a few months ago. Biggest noticeable change is seat inserts and the LED lighting replacing the fluorescent lighting found in #1000-1629. The Clever Devices system has also been changed. Look for these overhauls to continue into the new year
  • The 5000-Series railcars have continued to be delivered and assigned to various "L" lines. The Pink and Green Lines have become full 5000-Series lines. The Red Line is slowly becoming an all 5000-Series line.
  • A rehabbed Dan Ryan Red Line Branch from Cermak-Chinatown to 95th. Slow zones have been eliminated with rebuilt tracks, ballast and third rail. Also, the inclusion of elevators, making the stations ADA compliant.

What Changes will happen in 2014 for the CTA:

• The aforementioned Nova LFS Smart Buses will begin arriving in clusters beginning in February, 2014
  • The New Flyer XE40 all-electric buses should be arriving soon from St. Cloud.
  • The Ventra system will be in place finally and the magnetic strip cards and Chicago Card/Chicago Card Plus payment system should be totally phased out at some point.
  • The 5000-Series Railcars will continue to arrive in 2014, finishing making the Red Line an all 5000-Series line. The next line to receive these cars should be the Purple Line or the Orange Line this year. Maybe both???
  • The Blue Line O-Hare Project to renovate stations and reduce slow zones along the line.
  • An announcement regarding the 7000-Series railcars this year, and perhaps a manufacturer named for them to start producing them by 2016???
  • More articulated buses if the CTA puts out a procurement for them???
  • 300 Nova LFS Smart Buses, or 450??? That is the question that should be answered at some point this year
  • Retirement of the 2400-Series Railcars: The next oldest fleet of CTA's railcars, built during the 1976-1978 time period, should begin and finish this year as more 5000's roll in displacing the 2600's and 3200's already on the lines out there.
  • Upvote 3

I certainly appreciated the rebuilding of the Red Line's Dan Ryan branch. :D The Howard branch still needs much help. :(

I think the 5000s perform well but I still dislike so many aisle facing seats. Also, it seems that the car layout allows more cold air to blow through during the winter. I'm glad the forthcoming Novas will NOT have rear facing seats but I wish another company had won the bid. I just don't like the bus' short wheelbase and long front overhang. YMMV. :lol:

One change you didn't mention was the Wilson/red line rehab which is getting really close to beginning. With lawrence tower virtually completed, and the track one and two switch and signaling done, we should be hearing soon about a track 1 closure. When finished the Purple line will stop at Wilson. The question remains when the sb is done will they start letting the sb Purple line stop there or wait until the end of construction? Also we have Cermak-Mccormick place Green line and Clark/Division Red line to think about.

On the political front, the joke Fitzgerald task force and Claypool giving a good reason for abolishing the service board concept, i,e. he would be gone. Also, Brizard exposing that Emanuel only works through tools, without making the connection that two of the biggest tools are his appointees at the CTA.

Not new, but said explicitly this year is that Emanuel is out to destroy the RTA.

Then there was the last day story on the homepage that he appointed some CTA planner to run CDOT. Aside from the issue that the two agencies are not fungible, the question is whether she will continue the plan of removing vehicular traffic from the streets.

Probably at this point trivial, but the interiors of the 5000s went from beige to baby blue.

well it does mark the change in interior from 30(+?) Years of the former :lol:

During this past September, I got a chance the ride the "baby blues" on the Red Line. While I admit that change, especially after 30+ years, is good, I'm just not feelin' that "baby blue" or "powder blue interior". However, on the flip side, I absolutely love the acceleration of these cars!!!!! So, at least in my case, it's a matter of taking the bitter with the sweet (lol). :rolleyes:

The CTA saw Alotta Improvements in 2013

It was almost like a nod to the past while moving forward. 2013 was definitely a transitional point that hopefully sees better days for the CTA. The Wells Street Bridge Reroute saw Ravenswood Trains operating through the Subway in temporary regular service, Evanston Express Trains Temporarily out of service. Summer saw the RLS Reconstruction Project debuting & The return of The Howard-Englewood A Trains & The Lake St Train during rush hour. The 2200-series had a VERY RESPECTABLE Retirement Ceremony that for 2.25 was worth the price of admission. Thank You 567 Lake St for this ceremony. The Worst Launch Ever had to be Ventra, no official trial run, the launch & transitional period is horrible, but hopefully the CTA can get it together in 2014

...Summer saw the RLS Reconstruction Project debuting & The return of The Howard-Englewood A Trains & The Lake St Train during rush hour. ....

If one wants to get technical, the Green Line got rehab work before the Red Line was run on it. Question will be whether that has any future benefit (i.e., such as the Purple Line being put in the subway, and then up the incline).

"Then there was the last day story on the homepage that he appointed some CTA planner to run CDOT. Aside from the issue that the two agencies are not fungible, the question is whether she will continue the plan of removing vehicular traffic from the streets."

I have no intention of offending cyclists on this forum but I dislike what is being done to some streets to put in bike lanes.

I speak of those thoroughfares on which transit routes run, like State for example north of 26th street. Does CTA complain to the city about these things?

"Then there was the last day story on the homepage that he appointed some CTA planner to run CDOT. Aside from the issue that the two agencies are not fungible, the question is whether she will continue the plan of removing vehicular traffic from the streets."

I have no intention of offending cyclists on this forum but I dislike what is being done to some streets to put in bike lanes.

I speak of those thoroughfares on which transit routes run, like State for example north of 26th street. Does CTA complain to the city about these things?

In that CTA rolled over and rerouted 151 when Klein decided to make State-Jackson a scramble intersection and ban left turns, I doubt it.

Also, I was referring to more effective deterrents to driving, like the red light and speed camera revenue measures, which, if you want to talk about Emanuel talking to himself, CTA is paying out of tax or fare money, and then the Ashland BRT thing, the posting of the report of which should have been added to the list.

In that CTA rolled over and rerouted 151 when Klein decided to make State-Jackson a scramble intersection and ban left turns, I doubt it.

Also, I was referring to more effective deterrents to driving, like the red light and speed camera revenue measures, which, if you want to talk about Emanuel talking to himself, CTA is paying out of tax or fare money, and then the Ashland BRT thing, the posting of the report of which should have been added to the list.

Some of the transportation issues both of you brought up makes me think of how it would seem Chicago always falls behind in some respects if some of those transportation aspects even get implemented. Chicago makes such slow progress and even gets it wrong in some cases because the recurring theme always seems to be just ram it through for that constituency that has an interest and gets a benefit at all costs with no real show of compromise to the rest who are being asked and expected to sacrifice by bearing any and all inconveniences stirred up. Take Gene's mention of what's being done to streets that carry transit bus routes so that bike paths and/or lanes get implemented for example. The 22 Clark can be a headache to ride along certain stretches and can't be too peachy at times from the operators' point of view because whenever there are bikes on the street the buses get slowed along the stretches where Clark Street is so narrow as to have the bike paths share the traffic lane. as indicated by the bike symbols with accompanying arrow painted on the street pavement. Or a dedicated bike lane is marked off from the traffic lane using up so much space for the bikes, that it's clear they didn't take into account the standard width of a city transit bus or a large truck for that matter when marking of the space for the remaining vehicular traffic. That doesn't even account for the number of reckless cyclists who actually speed up to zip past a bus's right side when an operator signals he's pulling over to the curb to make a service stop.

With the Ashland BRT, for which Busjack mentioned the environmental impact report in his post, it's the same thing so far. In the current proposal, everyone is supposed to just roll over accept an unrealistic expectation that all left turns from Ashland between Irving Park and 95th, with the exception of expressway locations for which there are Ashland entrances and exits, get banned to facilitate a center positioned BRT bus lane. I've already made several points on this site and on the Streetblog site, where proponents are definitely in a big fantasyland, as to why the center lane proposal doesn't work and why Halsted, Damen, Western, and California are not the great alternatives proponents of the current proposal claim them to be. One big flaw I can also point to is that the southbound 9 Ashland buses would no longer be able to pull into the bus terminal serving the Ashland Orange Line station and westbound 63rd buses would no longer be able to directly serve the Ashland/63rd Green Line terminal because of the left turn ban unless proper exceptions were made. One other thing that folks looking for Ashland BRT at all costs and at no compromise also gloss over and overlook is that Ashland buses are not allowed to use the bus lanes in the current center lane proposal. So they would not gain the minimum shared benefit of moving past regular vehicular traffic like the 15 Jeffery Local does with the lanes used by the J14, or like would be seen in the downtown area by the bus routes on Madison and Washington from Central Loop BRT project which is supposed to start and have bus service in place this year. To bring my post to the thread topic, the Central Loop BRT project between Navy Pier and Union Station is another thing that didn't get mentioned. That project actually has more basis to actually see reality soon than the Ashland one for the reasons I brought up.

... To bring my post to the thread topic, the Central Loop BRT project between Navy Pier and Union Station is another thing that didn't get mentioned. That project actually has more basis to actually see reality soon than the Ashland one for the reasons I brought up.

Correct, on which CDOT is supposed to break ground, since they got the grant. I don't know if the Union Station transportation center is part of that project, or also supposed to be constructed.

The question is how to run a brt corridor with multiple lines. I would think they would still dart in and out of traffic. Does anyone remember the bus backups on the old state st. mall configuration?

This isn't any different than when they had the dedicated bus lane down the middle of Washington, except there will be a passenger platform instead of standing on a safety island in the middle of the street in the middle of the snow. Buses are going to stop each block or two. It isn't going to be BRT; certainly not under the section 5309 definition.

The question is how to run a brt corridor with multiple lines. I would think they would still dart in and out of traffic. Does anyone remember the bus backups on the old state st. mall configuration?

Actually Streetblog has a couple of updated pictures of what the downtown BRT lanes on Madison and Washington will look like.Still would be interesting to see if in fact the 124 is going to be the 'branded Urban Circulator' BRT route given what they show in the CDOT presentation exactly mirrors the current 124's route structure before the eastbound trips were routed to Wacker Drive and never really got placed back on Washington after that Block 37 construction. The Streetblog article mentions there are supposed to be four stations each on Washington and Madison. As to whether this fits the stricter definition of BRT under current guidelines, I'm wondering what one would expect in that regard given we are talking about the downtown area with a more condensed amount of space.

...Still would be interesting to see if in fact the 124 is going to be the 'branded Urban Circulator' BRT route given what they show in the CDOT presentation exactly mirrors the current 124's route structure before the eastbound trips were routed to Wacker Drive and never really got placed back on Washington after that Block 37 construction....

In relation to whether it meets the stricter 5309 BRT definition, did they get the grant before or after the feds tightened the BRT definition? That may also have a part in how the final structure of the project comes to fruition.

Your first comment answered the second. The $24 million federal grant was under the Urban Circulator program (Federal Register reference). At the time I commented that the Chicago grant seemed to be the only one that wasn't for an urban circulator (the rest were for trolleys or streetcars that went in a circle). Naming the 124 an urban circulator takes care of the problem. The short lived 127 Circulator might have fit better.

However, your other instinct was correct in that the definition of BRT was in the 2012 transportation bill, but this was a 2009 grant.

Your first comment answered the second. The $24 million federal grant was under the Urban Circulator program (Federal Register reference). At the time I commented that the Chicago grant seemed to be the only one that wasn't for an urban circulator (the rest were for trolleys or streetcars that went in a circle). Naming the 124 an urban circulator takes care of the problem. The short lived 127 Circulator might have fit better.

However, your other instinct was correct in that the definition of BRT was in the 2012 transportation bill, but this was a 2009 grant.

Thanks for the help in clarifying. I thought that might have been what this was but I couldn't remember all the details and CTA and CDOT have the clarifying details scattered about to a level that makes it not necessarily difficult but still rather time consuming to find and refresh one's memory on those details.

SO, wait will CTA Brand this Loop BRT, Apparently it's part of this "New" Jump Family

In that it isn't a single line, that isn't likely. Also, unlike the Jeffery Liveability grant, there isn't a federal requirement to do so. The only thing that is likely is what jajuan picked up about the 124 probably being renamed the Circulator, rather than Ogilvie Station-Navy Pier.

• 1 month later...