Random Pace

Busjack

32 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It seems like something involving a gunman happened yesterday in an outbound 353 on the Bishop Ford.  I guess even Pace isn't immune from this madness. 

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-expressway-shooting-today-pace-bus-fight/12094117/

Happened Tuesday and it looks like 17554.  It will likely be taken out of service briefly during the investigation as it's not been out there the last couple of days.  

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

One thing missing is the Pace subscription routes that were created by Pace for Sears in Hoffman Estates.  Most ran from the South Side or South and Southwest suburbs to the Sears complex in Hoffman Estates.  The route numbers started at 1000 and went up to at least 1013.   Over time, ridership dwindled and the service was canceled.   The routes were operated by various private motorcoach operators. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

One thing missing is the Pace subscription routes that were created by Pace for Sears in Hoffman Estates.  Most ran from the South Side or South and Southwest suburbs to the Sears complex in Hoffman Estates.  The route numbers started at 1000 and went up to at least 1013.   Over time, ridership dwindled and the service was canceled.   The routes were operated by various private motorcoach operators. 

They are really difficult to find information on. The ones I know are:-

ROUTES 1000-1028 – Subscription Bus Services

These are customized routes to serve specific markets.  All routes operating since January 2002 are listed.

1001 – Naperville – Sears catalog division, Skokie – introduced 10/89, withdrawn 1992?

1006 – Midway-Ford City-Countryside Plaza – Prairie Stone – via Cicero, 79th, La Grange Rd, Joliet, I-294 and  I-90, M-F RJ 1j am/pm. withdrawn 9/1/2001

1012 – 95th/ Dan Ryan – Prairie Stone introduced 8/3/92, operated by Colonial. Runs from 95th Red Line station via 95th, I-294, I-90, Beverley to Prairie Stone. M-F RH 1j am/pm. Discontinued after operation 1/29/2010

1015 – Melrose Park – Prairie Stone – withdrawn 9/27/2002

1017 – 79th/ Kenwood – Prairie Stone - withdrawn 1/17/2002

1018 – Chicago – Northbrook from Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville to Anderson Consulting and Allstate Insurance in Northbrook, M-F 1j am/pm, discontinued 6/2001

1023 – Lincoln Park – Lincolnshire introduced 3/20/2000. Withdrawn 5/2007

1024 – Lincoln Park – Warrenville introduced 6/11/2001. Withdrawn 3/31/05

1026 – State/ Roosevelt – UPS Northbrook – discontinued 2/14/2003

1027 – Hammond/ Chicago Ridge – Warrenville – introduced 3/17/2003, operated by Pace South. Withdrawn 3/31/05

1028 – Tinley Park-Chicago Ridge – Warrenville – introduced 3/17/2003, withdrawn 1/2004.

In 1992 there were 13 subscription routes to the new Sears center at Prairie Stone covering an area from Skokie to Naperville, Orland Park and Park Forest.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

They are really difficult to find information on. The ones I know are:-

ROUTES 1000-1028 – Subscription Bus Services

These are customized routes to serve specific markets.  All routes operating since January 2002 are listed.

1001 – Naperville – Sears catalog division, Skokie – introduced 10/89, withdrawn 1992?

1006 – Midway-Ford City-Countryside Plaza – Prairie Stone – via Cicero, 79th, La Grange Rd, Joliet, I-294 and  I-90, M-F RJ 1j am/pm. withdrawn 9/1/2001

1012 – 95th/ Dan Ryan – Prairie Stone introduced 8/3/92, operated by Colonial. Runs from 95th Red Line station via 95th, I-294, I-90, Beverley to Prairie Stone. M-F RH 1j am/pm. Discontinued after operation 1/29/2010

1015 – Melrose Park – Prairie Stone – withdrawn 9/27/2002

1017 – 79th/ Kenwood – Prairie Stone - withdrawn 1/17/2002

1018 – Chicago – Northbrook from Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville to Anderson Consulting and Allstate Insurance in Northbrook, M-F 1j am/pm, discontinued 6/2001

1023 – Lincoln Park – Lincolnshire introduced 3/20/2000. Withdrawn 5/2007

1024 – Lincoln Park – Warrenville introduced 6/11/2001. Withdrawn 3/31/05

1026 – State/ Roosevelt – UPS Northbrook – discontinued 2/14/2003

1027 – Hammond/ Chicago Ridge – Warrenville – introduced 3/17/2003, operated by Pace South. Withdrawn 3/31/05

1028 – Tinley Park-Chicago Ridge – Warrenville – introduced 3/17/2003, withdrawn 1/2004.

In 1992 there were 13 subscription routes to the new Sears center at Prairie Stone covering an area from Skokie to Naperville, Orland Park and Park Forest.

I think there was a 1005 ( not sure if the number is cirrwct( that operated from River Oaks to Prairie Stone.  It was operated by Hammond Yellow until 1995.  If it continued after that, I don't know who operated it.

1012 was initially operated by Hammond Yellow and also served Chicago Rudge as a backup to the other route that served Chicago Ridge.  I assume that Colonial took over after Hammond Yellow was put our of service in 1995.

1017 was operated by Neal's Bys Service until about 1997 or 1999 when Oace pulled all of its contracts from them due to substandard  service and equipment.  That included Neak's contract for Route 855 which was pulled from them on a Friday.  Ut was so bad that Keeshin did the 855 p.m. trips with no fareboxes.   I don't know who replaced Neal most on 1017,but Colonial sounds like a good guess.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think there was a 1005 ( not sure if the number is cirrwct( that operated from River Oaks to Prairie Stone.  It was operated by Hammond Yellow until 1995.  If it continued after that, I don't know who operated it.

1012 was initially operated by Hammond Yellow and also served Chicago Rudge as a backup to the other route that served Chicago Ridge.  I assume that Colonial took over after Hammond Yellow was put our of service in 1995.

1017 was operated by Neal's Bys Service until about 1997 or 1999 when Oace pulled all of its contracts from them due to substandard  service and equipment.  That included Neak's contract for Route 855 which was pulled from them on a Friday.  Ut was so bad that Keeshin did the 855 p.m. trips with no fareboxes.   I don't know who replaced Neal most on 1017,but Colonial sounds like a good guess.

Colonial did a majority of the work throughout the 90's along with it's sister Pioneer. This also included some of the other Prairie Stone fixed routes until Pace brought them in house.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, citychris05 said:

Where can I find more information on those United Motor Coach routes that operated in the region prior to the formation of Pace? 

From various sources (primarily http://www.chicagorailfan.com/rtaroute.html ) I have this information for United Motor Coach.

United Motor Coach had its origins in 1922, when White Line Motor Bus Co. was authorized to introduce two bus routes between Jefferson Park and Park Ridge. One via Northwest Hwy, and the other primarily via Milwaukee Ave. This was the first bus service via Northwest Hwy, as Chicago Surface Lines did not introduce service until 1935, now CTA route 68. The streetcar was already running on Milwaukee Ave. to Imlay. Additional early bus companies were Suburban Auto Coach and Federal Transportation. In 1927 these three companies merged to form United Motor Coach. In 1930 United Motor Coach acquired Des Plaines Motor Coach Line which had introduced two local routes in Des Plaines in 1929. By the 1940's, service was operating between downtown Chicago and Harvard, using Lake Shore Dr. and Foster between downtown and Jefferson Park. Operating closed door within Chicago. In the 1960's, this service consisted of 3 routes, #60 - Chicago to Harvard, #61 - Chicago to Des Plaines (via Northwest Hwy. in suburbs) and #62 - Chicago to Des Plaines (via Milwaukee and Dempster in suburbs). Acquired by Nortran 1/1/75.

Golf Mill Shopping Center opened in 1960. And route #70 (now Pace #270) apparently was introduced shortly after, to serve the mall. But that route only operated from the Chicago city limits to the mall.

1 - Jefferson Park-Des Plaines - operated primarily via Northwest Highway, during rush hours only. All day service was provided by route #61, operating into downtown Chicago. In 1975, re-designated by Nortran as route #61, with all day service terminating at Jefferson Park CTA station and rush hour only service into downtown Chicago.

Emergency Route 1 – Skokie Swift – Glenview Naval Air Station - Replacement for Glenview Bus Co route #1 started 3/18/74 operating from Skokie Swift instead of Evanston. Route was soon abandoned with service west of Waukegan Rd provided by #10.

Emergency Route 2 – Evanston – Wheeling – Replacement for Glenview Bus Co route #2 started 3/18/74 operating via Golf Road between Davis St and Old Orchard replacing Evanston Bus Co #8 then Glenview Road, Waukegan Rd, Willow Rd and Dundee Road. Later became Pace #212 and then #422 with service via Dundee Rd to Wheeling abandoned by 1978.

Emergency Route 3 – Evanston – Golf Mill –Replacement for Glenview Bus Co route #3 started 3/18/74 operating via Golf Road between Davis St and Old Orchard replacing Evanston Bus Co #8 then Glenview Road, Harlem Ave, Central Rd Greenwood Ave and Golf Rd. Route was withdrawn 11/30/75 with service between Old Orchard and Glenview transferred to a new Nortran route #220, discontinued 3/20/2005.

Emergency Route 8 – Evanston – Old Orchard - evolved from Evanston Bus Co. route #8. Introduced in 1974 as a short turn variation of Emergency Routes #2 and #3 operating between Evanston and Old Orchard Shopping Center, using Church St. in both Evanston and Skokie. Extended west to Golf Mill Mall in 1975 and given its own identity as route #208.

10 – Chicago – Glenview – originally an American Coach Co. route. Service on Lincoln Ave was originally operated by Niles Center Bus Co starting in 1921, between Western Ave Ravenswood rapid transit station and Morton Grove, discontinued in 1931. Service was revived in 1938 by Suburban Transit System. In 1942 extended between downtown Chicago and Antioch, primarily via Lake Shore Drive, Irving Park Rd. and, Western Ave. south of the CTA station, and via Milwaukee Ave. to the north. Sold in 1944 to American Coach as #3. In 1948 Glenview became north end of service, with Antioch service transferred to new #13, which was an extended version of new #11 (see #211). American Coach was acquired by United Motor Coach in 1959. Operated between downtown Chicago and Glenview Naval Air Station (latterly Glenbrook Hospital), via Michigan, Lake Shore Drive, Irving Park Rd., Western Ave., Lincoln Ave, Pratt, Cicero, Lincoln, Ferris, Dempster, Waukegan, Glenview, Greenwood & Lake. See Pace 210

11 – Chicago – Wheeling – originally an American Coach Co. route started in 1948. Operated between downtown Chicago and Wheeling, exiting downtown via same routing as #210 route as far north as Devon Ave./Lincoln Ave., and primarily via Devon Ave., Caldwell Ave., Harlem Ave., Central St., and Milwaukee Ave. to Dundee Rd. in Wheeling. Downtown service eliminated 8/25/86, and all remaining service discontinued 3/31/89. Pace 211

12 – Evanston – Chicago (Loop) – originally an American Coach route, operated via Simpson, Crawford, Lincoln and into Chicago via #210.  Discontinued 1969.

13 - Antioch-Chicago (Loop) – Originally an American Coach route started 1948, eventually operated summers only, discontinued in 1969.

14 - Des Plaines-Wheeling - operated during rush hours via River Rd. and Milwaukee Ave, eliminated by Nortran in 1975.

15 – Crawford – Howard – 11/73 replacement for Evanston Bus #10, originally subsidized by Skokie. See Pace 215.

16 – Skokie Local – 11/73 replacement for parts of Evanston Bus #9 & #12, originally subsidized by Skokie. See Pace 216, 217.

20 – Des Plaines – O’Hare - operated primarily via Lee St., Touhy Ave., and Mannheim Rd. see Pace 220

21 – Wolf Road – introduced in 1923 by Suburban Auto Coach Co. from Jefferson Park to Des Plaines via Higgins Rd. and River Rd, was United Motor Coach route #21, operated west of Jefferson Park via Higgins Rd, Cumberland, Devon, Higgins, Mannheim and Touhy to just west of Lee St in South Des Plaines. See Pace 221

22 - Elk Grove-Des Plaines - made one afternoon trip from Arlington Heights Rd/Higgins Rd. in Elk Grove Village to Des Plaines train station, via Higgins Rd., Elmhurst Rd., and Thacker Ave. Service discontinued by Nortran in 1975.

23 - Arlington Heights-Rolling Meadows – Acquired from Harvel Motor Coach Co in 1950’s, discontinued in 1969.

24 - Mt. Prospect-Randhurst-Wheeling – Acquired from Harvel Motor Coach Co. in 1950’s, discontinued in 1969.

30 – South Des Plaines – operating during rush hours from Des Plaines railway station to a loop in south Des Plaines via Howard, Maple, Scott to Howard. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, expanded to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75, see Pace 230

31 – Cumberland – Des Plaines – operating during rush hours in a loop northwest of Des Plaines train station to Cumberland Circle, near Golf Rd. and Wolf Rd. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, expanded to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75. see Pace 231

32 – West Des Plaines – operating during rush hours in a loop west of Des Plaines train station via Thacker, to a loop Mt Prospect Rd, Millers, Beau, Florian, Seymour and Algonquin to Mount Prospect Rd. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, expanded to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75. see Pace 232

40 – Courtland – operated south of Park Ridge station, discontinued 1969.

41 – Greenwood – operated south of Park Ridge station, discontinued 1969.

42 - Park Ridge Local - operated during rush hours in a loop south of Park Ridge train station. Expanded to all day service by Nortran in 1975. Service replaced in 1976 with extensions of RTA/Nortran #240 & #241, operating north to Golf Mill shopping center in Niles. Routes #240 and #241 were both extended south to the Cumberland CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on 2/27/83.

50 – Evanston – Des Plaines via Dempster St – Route introduced 6/15/41, continuing west of Des Plaines to Elgin until 1969. see Pace 250

60 - Harvard-Chicago (Loop) – cut back to Barrington in 1967. discontinued in 1969.

61 - Chicago-Des Plaines (via Park Ridge) - introduced in 1922 by White Line Motor Bus Co. from Jefferson Park to Park Ridge via Northwest Hwy., extended in 1925 to Des Plaines. By the 1940's, United Motor Coach was operating from downtown Chicago to Des Plaines via Lake Shore Drive, Foster Ave., and Northwest Highway. In 1975, Jefferson Park became the Chicago terminal for most service, with downtown Chicago service operating rush hours only. Effective 6/19/77, most service replaced with new route #209 from Jefferson Park to Woodfield Mall via Des Plaines. Remaining downtown service discontinued 6/10/79. From 2/27/83 cut back from Jefferson Park to new Harlem Ave CTA station.

62 - Chicago-Des Plaines (via Niles) - introduced in 1922 by White Line Motor Bus Co. from Jefferson Park to Park Ridge, via Milwaukee Ave. In 1925, Federal Transportation Co. introduced a route from Jefferson Park to Des Plaines via Milwaukee Ave., Ballard Rd., Rand Rd., and River Rd. Route eventually expanded to extend from downtown Chicago to Des Plaines via Lake Shore Drive, Foster Ave., Milwaukee Ave., and Dempster St. In 1975, reduced to rush hours only by Nortran, and discontinued 8/26/78 as redundant to other routes.

63 - O'Hare-Chicago (Loop) - operated during rush hours between downtown Chicago and Mannheim Rd./Higgins Rd. Discontinued by Nortran in 1976.

70 – Milwaukee Ave (Chicago City Limits to Golf Mill ) – operating from Milwaukee Ave. and Chicago city limits to Golf Mill shopping center probably introduced after its 1960 opening. In 1922, a route had been introduced from Jefferson Park northwest via Milwaukee Ave., evolving into United Motor Coach route #62, operating via Dempster St. from Milwaukee Ave. to Des Plaines. When #262 was withdrawn 8/26/78 extended operated south to Jefferson Park CTA station in coordination with CTA route #56A. see Pace 270

71 – Des Plaines-Golf Mill-Glenview NAS - operated during rush hours, discontinued in 1969.

72 - Wheeling-Golf Mill - discontinued in 1969.

73 - Old Orchard-Des Plaines - operated during rush hours primarily via Dempster St., eliminated by Nortran in 1975 as redundant to #50 and CTA #97.

80 - Elk Grove-Chicago (Loop) - extension of #63, operated during rush hours between downtown Chicago and Arlington Heights Rd./Higgins Rd. in Elk Grove Village. Extension route discontinued in 1975.

90– Touhy Ave – operating between Howard St. CTA terminal and Des Plaines train station. The first segment of the present route was introduced in 1931 from Milwaukee Ave. to Howard St. The first bus service on Touhy Ave. was introduced in 1924 by White Line Motor Bus Co. west of Park Ridge to River Road. See Pace 290

91 - Touhy Ave - operating between Howard St. CTA terminal and Des Plaines train station. Variation of route #90/#290, operating westbound into Des Plaines via Touhy, Harlem, Oakton, Greenwood, Dempster. see Pace 291

Also in 1942, United Motor Coach introduced service south of Des Plaines to the Douglas Aircraft plant, located southwest of the intersection of Higgins Rd. and Mannheim Rd., northeast of the present O'Hare Airport. Route was via Lee St. and Higgins Rd., with an alternate route from Higgins via Oakton St. and Mannheim Rd.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, busfan2847 said:

From various sources (primarily http://www.chicagorailfan.com/rtaroute.html ) I have this information for United Motor Coach.

[edit]

72 - Wheeling-Golf Mill - discontinued in 1969.

Sorry to edit so much for just this snippet. But for 72 Wheeling-Golf Mill, do see Pace 272.

Edited by pudgym29
Forum software is very quirky, especially compared to other fora.

4 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Sorry to edit so much for just this snippet. But for 72 Wheeling-Golf Mill, do see Pace 272.

Not really the same route. At some point 11 was extended to Wheeling, but was cut back to Dearlove. 272 was instituted as a CMAQ route, always Hawthorne to Golf Mill.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2022 at 3:01 PM, pudgym29 said:

Not the same route. 72 - Wheeling-Golf Mill was discontinued in 1969. I am not sure of the route the 72 took, but the rush hour 11 (became Pace 211) ran on Milwaukee Ave from Golf Mill to Dundee until 3/31/1989. Service north of Golf Mill to Glenbrook Hospital on Milwaukee was taken over by 270.

272 a new route from Golf Mill to Hawthorn started 3/17/2003, originally some buses ran through to Jefferson Park on 270. Through journeys were withdrawn 8/12/2019 when Pulse Milwaukee started between Jefferson Park and Golf Mill. At the same time 210 cut back to Jefferson Park to Golf Mill at a reduced frequency.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I will have to research again to find the latest rankings, but it's interesting that 349 has jumped so high.  This is a corridor CTA abandoned  

U think part of 381s success can be attributed to the reroute to the Bridgeview Courthouse  along with Moraine Valley. 

I figured it'd be best to spin this part of the convo here lest we receive another all-capped message

I need to find where I saw it at, but I thought I saw something where the 349 had become the second busiest route, but looking at some past data from RTAMS, looks like I'm off and the 381 is busier. I'll attribute that to the red line connection. That said, 349 is the second-busiest route out of Pace South, and still one of the few routes to have headways of 15 mins or less (along with the 290, 307, 352 & Pulse).

Court house routing also tracks, I used it for a couple of weeks to transfer to the 386, although I know the few riders that did go out that far were going to the courthouse. That would also explain why the alternate routing sees more service on weekends than on weekdays.

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I figured it'd be best to spin this part of the convo here lest we receive another all-capped message

I need to find where I saw it at, but I thought I saw something where the 349 had become the second busiest route, but looking at some past data from RTAMS, looks like I'm off and the 381 is busier. I'll attribute that to the red line connection. That said, 349 is the second-busiest route out of Pace South, and still one of the few routes to have headways of 15 mins or less (along with the 290, 307, 352 & Pulse).

Court house routing also tracks, I used it for a couple of weeks to transfer to the 386, although I know the few riders that did go out that far were going to the courthouse. That would also explain why the alternate routing sees more service on weekends than on weekdays.

I've forgotten that 381 has a 20 minute schedule - and that route is well used regardless of where you're boarding it. Obviously there's a correlation between high frequency service and ridership (chicken and egg theory), but since the pandemic, it comes down to who is using services and where, and obviously South/Southwest Division has a higher need for service into the City and vice versa. 

16 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

I've forgotten that 381 has a 20 minute schedule - and that route is well used regardless of where you're boarding it. Obviously there's a correlation between high frequency service and ridership (chicken and egg theory), but since the pandemic, it comes down to who is using services and where, and obviously South/Southwest Division has a higher need for service into the City and vice versa. 

I suppose with the 95 still in play, it can afford to remain at 20 mins, unlike the 290 at every 10 mins on peak or the 349, since those routes have the majority of their corridor to themselves.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/news/21279133/il-south-suburban-officials-take-long-bus-trip-to-illustrate-difficulty-of-accessing-health-care

Interesting article. It’s stuff most of us here know, but having a entire tribune article about it could inspire small, incremental change

Maybe mt memory is bad, but I thought Lincoln Hwy was U S. 30.  I also thought Lincoln Hwy qaa was the route the 358 took between Torrence and Chicago Heights. 

If so, the representative needs to pay more attention  

I also question the route choice.   I probably would have taken a NB 358 to River Oaks and a 364 to Harvey, but I guess it doesn't matter   

While public transportation is beneficial for the masses, it can't necessarily be tailor made to everyone, especially in a low ridership corridor.   Historically 358 has run 60 minute intervals.   

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe mt memory is bad, but I thought Lincoln Hwy was U S. 30.  I also thought Lincoln Hwy qaa was the route the 358 took between Torrence and Chicago Heights. 

No, as properly indicated, 358 goes through Steger, and the Chicago Heights TC is south of US 30. However, I agree with you that NB 358 would make more sense.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

[edit]

This is understandable if you want to visit venues on south Western Ave. like Horse Thief Hollow and Open Outcry Brwg., and continue further south to Blue Island (Blue Island Beer Co.) without going downtown or taking the Red Line ”L“ to 95th and transferring to an east-west CTA route (#103, #112), you wind up on the #349 heading straight down Western Ave.

• 1 month later...

What's the history of the evening service routes that Pace is proposing to eliminate (routes 182-187).

When were they added to the network and why do their route numbers start with a 1? I thought anything below 200 was reserved for CTA?

I couldn't find any info about these routes on the chicagorailfan website.

https://www.chicagorailfan.com/rtaroute.html

I recall that the Naperville shuttles had late night trips that didn't actually follow a route. You'd give the bus driver your stop and they'd take you there directly. They were combos of routes in the same general direction. The 18x number was created as a formalization of those trips (likely for internal reporting of revenue, usage, etc.).

The 20400s have some ports to plug in a USB cord.  But the ports NEVER seem to work.  What's the point of having them if they don't work?  TBH, the only port I have seen is accessible from the seats directly across from the rear door.  By the knee is a ports attached to the rear of the seat in front of it.  You can plug two USB, but neither seem to work..