Random Pace

Busjack

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Of course none of those are as bad as when a Pace bus that's on an hourly basis, has an entire run missed for some reason & the wait is 2 hours!

On more than one occasion, I've had an otherwise on time 381, in either direction, stop in front of Pace SW and the driver left the bus to use the bathroom, chat, etc. This was only during the period of about 3 weeks, just for clarity. But we'd always be way behind schedule after that. The worst time was when I needed to make a 386 connection (I would usually transfer at the courthouse), but the driver parked across from Pace SW and left me and another passenger there for over 10 minutes. Other passenger and I had to hoof it down the block so we could still make our 386 transfer, the 381 bus didn't move until we'd gotten on.

Other Pace situations included 379 runs just not appearing, so I was forced to wait for a NB 307 or 386 SB or NB, a situation further exacerbated by Pace running all week saturday schedules on the 379 & 386. Part of the reason my commute home could be so long was just the sheer amount of time waiting for the 379. There was one day where I was able to walk to BTC, take the 307 to the BNSF and get to CUS before my 379 had even gotten close to showing up at 79th/Sayre.

I'm honestly not sure how those not living on those ~10 key Pace corridors (352, 290, 349, 250, etc) do it. Just a summer of having to rely on Pace on a regular basis had me tight. And I used to complain about the 30 lol.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

On more than one occasion, I've had an otherwise on time 381, in either direction, stop in front of Pace SW and the driver left the bus to use the bathroom, chat, etc. This was only during the period of about 3 weeks, just for clarity. But we'd always be way behind schedule after that. The worst time was when I needed to make a 386 connection (I would usually transfer at the courthouse), but the driver parked across from Pace SW and left me and another passenger there for over 10 minutes. Other passenger and I had to hoof it down the block so we could still make our 386 transfer, the 381 bus didn't move until we'd gotten on.

Other Pace situations included 379 runs just not appearing, so I was forced to wait for a NB 307 or 386 SB or NB, a situation further exacerbated by Pace running all week saturday schedules on the 379 & 386. Part of the reason my commute home could be so long was just the sheer amount of time waiting for the 379. There was one day where I was able to walk to BTC, take the 307 to the BNSF and get to CUS before my 379 had even gotten close to showing up at 79th/Sayre.

I'm honestly not sure how those not living on those ~10 key Pace corridors (352, 290, 349, 250, etc) do it. Just a summer of having to rely on Pace on a regular basis had me tight. And I used to complain about the 30 lol.

Or in my case,  the 301, with 20 minute intervals.  It's bad enough when one bus doesn't show, which then turns a 30 minute gap to a 40 minute gap.  Once, I had just missed the 1720 from Forest Park.   That bus was destined for WHEATON.   THE next bus was due to depart from Forest Park at 1740, but it never came.  That bus was supposed to end at Roosevelt and Ardmore.  The following bus departure was at 1800, but was only going to Harrison and Wolf.  So I had to wait until the 1820 departure going to Wheaton.  A 20 minute wait turned into an hour wait.  

There was a time when a 301 trip was always a no show.   It got so bad, I started taking the Green Line and the 313.  The 313 intervals were 30 minutes instead of 20 like the 301, but the 313 was more dependable. 

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Or in my case,  the 301, with 20 minute intervals.  It's bad enough when one bus doesn't show, which then turns a 30 minute gap to a 40 minute gap.  Once, I had just missed the 1720 from Forest Park.   That bus was destined for WHEATON.   THE next bus was due to depart from Forest Park at 1740, but it never came.  That bus was supposed to end at Roosevelt and Ardmore.  The following bus departure was at 1800, but was only going to Harrison and Wolf.  So I had to wait until the 1820 departure going to Wheaton.  A 20 minute wait turned into an hour wait.  

There was a time when a 301 trip was always a no show.   It got so bad, I started taking the Green Line and the 313.  The 313 intervals were 30 minutes instead of 20 like the 301, but the 313 was more dependable. 

Yeah, missing Pace runs just seem so detrimental. Has to be even worse in the places that have timed transfers, like Harvey & Waukegan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I was on a 313.  There was a female passenger that boarded.  She proceeded to the back of the bus and started a cell phone conversation with a lot of cursing.  Not an angry conversation.   Then I heard Mrs Pace make this announcement, :

"As a courtesy to other passengers,  Pace asks you to please refrain from using profanity on the bus.,:

I had never heard this announcement before

The female passenger toned down her voice and. I suppose., ended the call..  but she soon started another conversation and started cursing again.   Then he announcement repeated.

The fact that this type of announcement was made had me wondering if the driver can activate certain announcements?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Today I was on a 313.  There was a female passenger that boarded.  She proceeded to the back of the bus and started a cell phone conversation with a lot of cursing.  Not an angry conversation.   Then I heard Mrs Pace make this announcement, :

"As a courtesy to other passengers,  Pace asks you to please refrain from using profanity on the bus.,:

The female passenger toned down her voice and. I suppose., ended the call..  but she soon started another conversation and started cursing again.   Then he announcement repeated.

The fact that this type of announcement was made had me wondering if the driver can activate certain announcements?

There was one that said to move to the back of the bus that I heard last year so they can do it . They do it at cta too   But in buses only.          

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, artthouwill said:

Pace routes 301 and 308 are devouring using 1st Avenue and I-290  .  This is due to bridge construction over the Desplainea River on Roosevelt. 

And to make matters worse,  the SB sude of the 1st Ave Bridge over i 290 was closed with all traffic using the NB lanes.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

And to make matters worse,  the SB sude of the 1st Ave Bridge over i 290 was closed with all traffic using the NB lanes.

Yeah that bites. I travel over that everyday but not since the construction. Must be fun making that left turn now for the Pace drivers.

Another bridge that is messed up is the bedford park cicero ave one south of 67th. They have the nb lanes seperating and everyone stops and changes lanes thinking they are not getting back into traffic. I think it says the right lane goes to Marquette when it goes straight. Theres probably gonna be an accident there soon. 

Saw something really weird today. I was doing a employee shuttle on river rd in hodgkins. You'll probably have to look it up. It sort of a dead end street by the desplaines river. Anyway I see #6433 coming down the street to my surprise. It said maintenance on the destination. It was really close to cummins diesel. I wonder if they were driving it around. 

On 8/12/2021 at 7:55 PM, BusHunter said:

Saw something really weird today. I was doing a employee shuttle on river rd in hodgkins. You'll probably have to look it up. It sort of a dead end street by the desplaines river. Anyway I see #6433 coming down the street to my surprise. It said maintenance on the destination. It was really close to cummins diesel. I wonder if they were driving it around. 

Saw a Pace Axess at Cummins diesel. So #6433 must be it. They primarily work on engines but they do other work. We had a bus that had the side torn up on it. They fixed it so maybe they have a body shop as well???

On 7/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, artthouwill said:

They do have other announcements. I got hit with a "No Eating" outside of the usual timeframe (back in 2005).

On 6/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, artthouwill said:

Pace routes 301 and 308 are devouring using 1st Avenue and I-290  .  This is due to bridge construction over the Desplainea River on Roosevelt. 

On 8/8/2021 at 2:53 PM, artthouwill said:

Pace routes 301 and 308 WB buses are now being routed via Desplaines, Cermak  1st Ave to regular routi.  This is due to the bridge construction over I 290 at 1st Ave where all traffic shares the NB lanes.  EB buses seem to still be using the. 1st Ave  and Ike routing. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Is that a  NW bus?  Possibly a NORTRAN  wrap?

54 minutes ago, TGP01 said:

It was running on the 290, I don't really know the Pace divisions so I don't know which one it was running out of.

290 is NW, so that was probably the Nortran one. I for one, am surprised the heritage wraps stuck around as long as they did, especially considering how close they came to being great and how botched they ended up instead. Seeing the SW & River ones in person were nice though.

31 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

290 is NW, so that was probably the Nortran one. I for one, am surprised the heritage wraps stuck around as long as they did, especially considering how close they came to being great and how botched they ended up instead. Seeing the SW & River ones in person were nice though.

I thought West Towns was okay, though I haven't seen it in a while.  I think I have a pic of a Heritage bus.

20190628_200310.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...