7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

So does anyone want to keep trying to say FG won't get any 7900s now?

Oooh!!!! Oooh!!! Me!!! Me!!! :PxD j/k..... I know that they are going to FG now that they have been placed there. Even before that, when it was in speculation, I had it on the back burner as a possibility, but seeing the consolidation of 1034-1211 at 103rd made me contemplate they might be getting the Novas before 8197 and 8199 were placed because I thought as 8200-8324 rolled in to 103rd, 1034+ could start to move to FG, and 103rd will get a mix or completely different number block of New Flyers to replace those moved out.

39 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

True, jajaun..... I'm just going off all this conversation about putting whole number blocks back together again. I wonder if this might have something to do with the TSP devices CTA is installing..... thoughts on that???

And yes, I saw my typo after pointed out..... I am human..... :P

So far can't really say it has to do with TSP having been installed on Ashland south of Cermak and later in the year on Western and the eventual further installation 74th buses until the 74th NF assignments settle down from further NF swaps yet to come.

37 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Oooh!!!! Oooh!!! Me!!! Me!!! :PxD j/k..... I know that they are going to FG now that they have been placed there. Even before that, when it was in speculation, I had it on the back burner as a possibility, but seeing the consolidation of 1034-1211 at 103rd made me contemplate they might be getting the Novas before 8197 and 8199 were placed because I thought as 8200-8324 rolled in to 103rd, 1034+ could start to move to FG, and 103rd will get a mix or completely different number block of New Flyers to replace those moved out.

And on that point you jumped the gun a little as 103rd was never in any serious running to get Smart buses since it never had any 6400s to replace. We may have questioned at the time 77th having been first to get them because it had purged itself of 6400s the month before, but it at least could still be argued that 77th at least had 6400s at some point. CTA's execution of bus assignments during the 7900s' delivery process could have been better, i.e there was no good reason to slam FG with all 6400s for two years even with the 1000s' rehab occurring, but they at least stayed consistent this time with assigning the new model at garages that had the retiring model.

I went up to Forest Glen in the midday today and took some shots of #8199 and the 3rd yard. Here they are guys. (I usually shrink the photos because I'm taking them 1920x1080 res but this time I'll keep them big so you can zoom up on some of these numbers. I think this site automatically downsizes them 20 percent.)

Here's #8199: Who you gonna call? A somewhat funny advertisement on there.cta 8199 and the 3rd yard.png

cta 8199 front side.png

cta 8199 side rear.png

If you're trying to figure out the other buses, behind the cone is #6827. #6591 seems to be a parts bus. It's missing it's engine hatch and a side window has been removed. You can see this from the alley behind the 3rd yard. #6791 is in the distance.

Here's some more pics of the 3rd yard going past #6791

3rd yard left side.png

I forgot what buses those were, but the NF is #1011, so I guess I can't say this is the retirement lot. It just seems like the buses that need mechanics lot/scrap lot.

Here's some more while I was hanging out in the alley.

1011 in the junkyard.png

junkyard rear.png

Those novas in the distance are #6536 and #6537, I remember #6629 was next to #6537. (not pictured)

Here's the front right side of the yard

3rd yard right side.png

in this shot is #6571, #6863 and looks like #6702? I really don't understand why they don't pull the buses and park them with their fronts facing out. How do you hook up a wrecker to the rear?

At least now we see what everyone's talking about when they say 3rd yard. BTW, I couldn't find #8197. It must have been in forest glen shop. #1856 was doing training of operators in the north yard and I noticed #1073? or 6 was outside the shop. Don't know why that's there.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I went up to Forest Glen in the midday today and took some shots of #8199 and the 3rd yard. Here they are guys. (I usually shrink the photos because I'm taking them 1920x1080 res but this time I'll keep them big so you can zoom up on some of these numbers. I think this site automatically downsizes them 20 percent.)

Here's #8199: Who you gonna call? A somewhat funny advertisement on there.cta 8199 and the 3rd yard.png

cta 8199 front side.png

cta 8199 side rear.png

If you're trying to figure out the other buses, behind the cone is #6827. #6591 seems to be a parts bus. It's missing it's engine hatch and a side window has been removed. You can see this from the alley behind the 3rd yard. #6791 is in the distance.

3rd yard left side.png

I forgot what buses those were, but the NF is #1011, so I guess I can't say this is the retirement lot. It just seems like the buses that need mechanics lot/scrap lot.

1011 in the junkyard.png

junkyard rear.png

Those novas in the distance are #6536 and #6537, I remember #6629 was next to #6537. (not pictured)

3rd yard right side.png

in this shot is #6571, #6863 and looks like #6702? I really don't understand why they don't pull the buses and park them with their fronts facing out. How do you hook up a wrecker to the rear?

At least now we see what everyone's talking about when they say 3rd yard. BTW, I couldn't find #8197. It must have been in forest glen shop. #1856 was doing training of operators in the north yard and I noticed #1073? or 6 was outside the shop. Don't know why that's there.

Awesome job with the pics, BusHunter!!! :) 

Vince McMahon Meme 7.png

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

cta 8199 front side.png

cta 8199 side rear.png

3rd yard left side.png

1011 in the junkyard.png

junkyard rear.png

3rd yard right side.png

CTA wreckers have in fact been connected to a bus's rear on a few rare occasions in the past. I remember a few times seeing a few MAN 4000s and Flx 5300s being towed that way. And I see your shots caught an early general public ad for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot movie, which interesting enough has the gender roles reversed. From what I've seen in online and in-theater promos ahead of other movies, this time the Ghostbusters will be women, and their receptionist is male, played by Chris Hemsworth, famous in part from playing Thor in the Thor and Avengers movie franchises.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

cta 8199 front side.png

cta 8199 side rear.png

3rd yard left side.png

1011 in the junkyard.png

junkyard rear.png

3rd yard right side.png

#8197 was up by the drivers area for them to get familiar with the new Novas and get signed off on them.

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

CTA wreckers have in fact been connected to a bus's rear on a few rare occasions in the past. I remember a few times seeing a few MAN 4000s and Flx 5300s being towed that way. And I see your shots caught an early general public ad for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot movie, which interesting enough has the gender roles reversed. From what I've seen in online and in-theater promos ahead of other movies, this time the Ghostbusters will be women, and their receptionist is male, played by Chris Hemsworth, famous in part from playing Thor in the Thor and Avengers movie franchises.

Since you put it that way, that sign has good symbolism because FG always has the old buses and now it will have the new ones. A rare event indeed!! I was joking about the phrase "who you gonna call" cause probably many of us on the nw side would have been ringing the phones off the hook if we could, wondering when are we getting new buses. Someone must have a sense of humor.

You know how when they tow a bus someone jumps behind the wheel to steer the bus, how do they steer it in reverse? This reminds me of the old hook and ladder fire trucks that had the turning back axles. I always saw the Grand/Latrobe one when I was very small. That would be like '79 or early '80. But still everything is backwards. I would think they could only do that with a front float tow. Then the front axle is disabled and doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Since you put it that way, that sign has good symbolism because FG always has the old buses and now it will have the new ones. A rare event indeed!! I was joking about the phrase "who you gonna call" cause probably many of us on the nw side would have been ringing the phones off the hook if we could, wondering when are we getting new buses. Someone must have a sense of humor.

You know how when they tow a bus someone jumps behind the wheel to steer the bus, how do they steer it in reverse? This reminds me of the old hook and ladder fire trucks that had the turning back axles. I always saw the Grand/Latrobe one when I was very small. That would be like '79 or early '80. But still everything is backwards. I would think they could only do that with a front float tow. Then the front axle is disabled and doesn't matter.

Ha ha well it seems to be a guarantee this reversal CTA is about to do at FG will be better received than what Sony is getting so far in reaction to the trailers to the 2016 version of Ghostbusters.xD:P

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Awesome job with the pics, BusHunter!!! :) 

Vince McMahon Meme 7.png

Yeah I was kind of wondering if the copyright/homeland security police were going to come out and nab me. 9_9 I usually shoot the street, not the yard, which is sort of a no no. But i was gone in 30 seconds and my method was untraceable. :ph34r: Only one guy saw me, better than 5-10 guys or I wouldn't have shot them. Plus if someone is looking for me better to shoot a few days to a week after you said you were there. :P

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Ha ha well it seems to be a guarantee this reversal CTA is about to do at FG will be better received than what Sony is getting so far in reaction to the trailers to the 2016 version of Ghostbusters.xD:P

OT: but I saw the article about the trailer getting the worst thumbs down on YouTube, clicked on the video, and agreed. The start with the "30 years ago" reminded me that this one doesn't have Bill "Margaret" Murray.

On the main topic, the rear shots clearly demonstrate that 8199 isn't your mother's Nova, either.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I was kind of wondering if the copyright/homeland security police were going to come out and nab me. 9_9

I always wondered about the Private Property signs at FG, which is taxpayer property.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Yeah, that movie is going to tank. What we're they thinking?? They needed to tie it in with Ernie Hudson, Dan Ackroyd and Bill Murray, maybe give them all cameos or involve them in the storylines making the new ghostbusters their kids. They could call it ghostbusters the next generation. It would be cool and funny to see some almost disfunctional senior citizens with the ghostbusting equipment. xD

I'm trying to think why would they do a front float? the drive wheels are in the rear. I guess it could be for locked brakes. I remember an artic that was on michigan avenue disabled for a good 5-10 hours back in the day. Usually the hard stuff gets put on the back burner until after the rush. This bus I saw myself came home and was almost ready for bed and they were still towing it. I remember hearing it on the radio and thinking damn!! xD I hate to ask if there's a middle float?

17 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I just noticed something in my photos. If you look at #6729 and #6791 down from #8199 in that row and you look at the rear of both buses. They don't have license plates. (They are still on my roster) This can only mean one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpmv_zOa0k

I'll agree with #6729.... however, I differ on #6791. Upon uploading and doing a zoom in on #6791, you can make out a "M" with some numbers barely there..... the license plate is still there, but just dirty/rusty.

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I just noticed something in my photos. If you look at #6729 and #6791 down from #8199 in that row and you look at the rear of both buses. They don't have license plates. (They are still on my roster) This can only mean one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpmv_zOa0k

Both are heading to bus heaven soon.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sw4400 said:

I'll agree with #6729.... however, I differ on #6791. Upon uploading and doing a zoom in on #6791, you can make out a "M" with some numbers barely there..... the license plate is still there, but just dirty/rusty.

Why does #6591 have plates if it's the pick-a-part bus? They had a trash bag in the side window. I haven't seen that since I saw it on #529 when it debuted at north park.

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Why does #6591 have plates if it's the pick-a-part bus? They had a trash bag in the side window. I haven't seen that since I saw it on #529 when it debuted at north park.

Don't know..... maybe if the bus is going to be on property for a time(in this case for parts), it needs to have plates. If not, even though it's private property, the city might be able to slap tickets on it for no plates/abandoned vehicle.... one would have to know where to find all the motor vehicle law about what a vehicle can be ticketed for, and if it can be so ticketed on private property.

1 minute ago, sw4400 said:

Don't know..... maybe if the bus is going to be on property for a time(in this case for parts), it needs to have plates. If not, even though it's private property, the city might be able to slap tickets on it for no plates/abandoned vehicle.... one would have to know where to find all the motor vehicle law about what a vehicle can be ticketed for, and if it can be so ticketed on private property.

They are probably OK, because the buses are parked on private land. You can't ticket a car in a driveway as long as it's not obstructing the sidewalk because it's not on municipal land.

I don't know but it doesn't look good for any of these buses to return. Don't know why #1011's there though. A hold maybe? That might actually be a hold lot if we're looking for terms for what to call the lot. Some are mechanical holds, some are long term holds (junk) and some are do not touch holds as in #8199.

Hmm.... #6729 was in service yesterday, 5/2, so what the plates were removed today or late last night? #1011, #6571, #6827 were all in service on 4/29. #6591 I traced to the last day of service on 3/13/16, so it's been at FG close to two months.  #6863 was last in service 4/28/16. And we know Andre said #6536 and #6537, #6629 were gone last month. (the dates should be on my #6400 retirement list) So where did #6622, #6633, #6634 go for the recent retirements for the 5 chicago oddballs? Towed already or perhaps driven?

43 minutes ago, Dawnlight said:

So the delivery order for the 7900's is almost similar to how to the 6400's were delivered?

About, except then it was about 115 per garage (more for FG), and C was split between Options 1 and 2.

Also, the first deliveries to 77 were scattered up to 6549, but then it got sorted out by some going to A.

Which then means that they weren't the same, as A got the second load and 74th got nothing.

I asked a FG Operator yesterday about the new buses, and he said he didn't know if they were getting any, so I guess FG hasn't informed and/or taught all their Bus Operators of what's coming in the coming weeks/months.

You would think they would have a newsletter or notice posted on a bulletin board there...

Funny with all this fanfare at FG with the new buses, I never heard nothing when it was 74th's chance at #8000's. Basically the buses are the same as #6400's, but with all new parts and design but the frame is basically the same. I wouldn't think it would take that much training for operators, probably more for mechanics, but if that was already done offsite then maybe they are already ready.

It's hard to believe in 2 weeks training will be done and these buses will actually be on the streets over here. So then by next week they have to run these in tripper service at least on a limited basis.