If I ran Transit for one day...

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I wonder if this is because the 20 has two downtown destinations, although I agree this should be standardized.

Can you elaborate? AFAIK, express routes are shown on bus stops with red text. And did the X28 get brought back?

To clarify,  I mean on the buses.  When they had mylar curtains, the express routes were white letters and red background

Something similar can be done with the electronic signs.  If not the entire sign ( however that's my preference) then at least the route number.  I know the X route numbers stand out now, but I think colored ( red) would stand out more.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I would like to steer in a different direction.   If I ran transit,  I would change the train announcements to include more information

1. Announce bus routes ( by routes number only) that serve each station.  Some stations like Rosemont,  Jefferson Park,  Midway,  and 95th will have longer announcements.   I would be willing to exclude the downtown Loop stations.

2.  Announce specific Metra LInes.  Blue LIne Clinton would announce Metra BNSF, Southwest Service, Heritage Corridor,  Milwaukee District, and North Central Service trains.  Green Line Clinton would announce Metra Union Pacific trains.  Wabash and Washington would announce. Etra Electric and South Shire Line trains.

3.  Announce Metra connections at outer stations such as Davis, Harlem Green Line,  and Jefferson Park.

I WOULD clean up some announcement and/or signage discrepancies.

1. All Loop trains would announce this is a train to the Loop.

10 Madison and 56 Milwaukee buses going to Michigan Ave and Washington would have the same destination signage.  Currently only the 20 has Millennium Park as a destination even though it and the 56 has the same destination. 

I would add Red signage to the Express routes to differentiate from the other routes. That would also mean reassigning X28 to the downtown route.

1. Looking at CRRC car videos, MBTA cars have a monitor next to the doors that has the connecting bus and
  2. commuter rail routes. However, with the short distances between stations on the Loop L, no way could Mr. CTA spit out the 11 Metra and 1 South Shore lines, although he could mention the stations, instead of "Amtrak and Metra."
  3. I thought they did at Davis.

Second group:

1. Depends on how "Loop" is defined. Red and Blue Line trains don't run on the Loop, but go to Downtown and the signed destination.
  2. Millennium Park is a nonsensical destination, IMO.
  3. Since CTA  has specified amber signs since 2002, it would have to rip out the signs in 1900 buses and replace them with spectrum signs. The X and J routes have used reverse fonts, but even you are inconsistent in saying that 28 to Union Station should be changed back to X28, but not suggesting anything for 2, 6, 26, 134-136, 146-148.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:
  1. Looking at CRRC car videos, MBTA cars have a monitor next to the doors that has the connecting bus and
  2. commuter rail routes. However, with the short distances between stations on the Loop L, no way could Mr. CTA spit out the 11 Metra and 1 South Shore lines, although he could mention the stations, instead of "Amtrak and Metra."
  3. I thought they did at Davis.

Second group:

1. Depends on how "Loop" is defined. Red and Blue Line trains don't run on the Loop, but go to Downtown and the signed destination.
  2. Millennium Park is a nonsensical destination, IMO.
  3. Since CTA  has specified amber signs since 2002, it would have to rip out the signs in 1900 buses and replace them with spectrum signs. The X and J routes have used reverse fonts, but even you are inconsistent in saying that 28 to Union Station should be changed back to X28, but not suggesting anything for 2, 6, 26, 134-136, 146-148.

I only specifically mentioned the 28/ X28 because of the Hyde Park routing being different 

In my original post I said I would exclude Loop stations.  That would include the two subway lines.   Though they don't run on the Loop elevated,  the Jackson,  Monroe, Washington, Lake, and Clark/Lake stations are located in the Loop area.  If the bus route connections aren't mentioned downtown, then the Metra lines can be.  Union Station has 5 Metra Services and Amtrak.  Clinton Green Line and Washington/Wells only has to mention Union Pacific Lines ( not even having to name all 3 beanches), Washington/Wabash and Lake only needs to mention Metra Electric and South Shore Lines and LaSalle and LaSalle/Van Buren only mentions Metra Rock Island. 

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I only specifically mentioned the 28/ X28 because of the Hyde Park routing being different 

In my original post I said I would exclude Loop stations.  That would include the two subway lines.   Though they don't run on the Loop elevated,  the Jackson,  Monroe, Washington, Lake, and Clark/Lake stations are located in the Loop area.  If the bus route connections aren't mentioned downtown, then the Metra lines can be.  Union Station has 5 Metra Services and Amtrak.  Clinton Green Line and Washington/Wells only has to mention Union Pacific Lines ( not even having to name all 3 beanches), Washington/Wabash and Lake only needs to mention Metra Electric and South Shore Lines and LaSalle and LaSalle/Van Buren only mentions Metra Rock Island. 

Even at that, with even having to announce 5 services/districts at Quincy, do you really think CTA can keep up with such somewhat imminent changes as Metra moving SWS to LaSalle, or the West Lake Corridor?

For that matter, since both CTA and Metra now use Clever Devices, should Metra be obligated to call up all bus routes and keep up with hours of operation at each station? At least Pace is claiming to bring integration through the MaaS App.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Even at that, with even having to announce 5 services/districts at Quincy, do you really think CTA can keep up with such somewhat imminent changes as Metra moving SWS to LaSalle, or the West Lake Corridor?

For that matter, since both CTA and Metra now use Clever Devices, should Metra be obligated to call up all bus routes and keep up with hours of operation at each station? At least Pace is claiming to bring integration through the MaaS App.

I think just saying "Metra" is fine. While some considerations need to be made for tourists, if they're doing the smart thing and using a maps app, they'll be on the way to the correct Metra station, and will just need to know where to get off. As for naming routes, I support it, but it should be avoided where there are 5 or more routes with direct access to the station. Maybe at that point, use a generic "transfer to CTA/Pace routes"?

Stations like Rosemont, Jeff, FP, 95th, Midway, should actually probably have transit center added somewhere to the name to indicate their hub status. I would also be in favor of Metra announcing routes, but it's less necessary.

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think just saying "Metra" is fine. While some considerations need to be made for tourists, if they're doing the smart thing and using a maps app, they'll be on the way to the correct Metra station, and will just need to know where to get off. As for naming routes, I support it, but it should be avoided where there are 5 or more routes with direct access to the station. Maybe at that point, use a generic "transfer to CTA/Pace routes"?

Stations like Rosemont, Jeff, FP, 95th, Midway, should actually probably have transit center added somewhere to the name to indicate their hub status. I would also be in favor of Metra announcing routes, but it's less necessary.

With Metra,  I'd only would want connections with CTA trains and other Metra, Amtrak and South Shore trains ( outside of downtown stations being announced.

• 7 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 1:53 AM, renardo870 said:

If the city ever decided to make Lake Park Ave bidirectional between 46th and 42nd Place, I would like to see 43 43rd St to be extended from 43rd/Oaklenwald to 47th/Lake Park Terminal to connect with 2 Hyde Park Express, 6 Jackson Park Express, 28 Stony Island and 47 47th Street bus routes and the Metra Electric. The routing would be as follows from  43rd/Oaklenwald Senior Building...EB 43rd, NB Oaklenwald,  WB 42nd Place, SB Lake Park and EB 47th to Terminal. WB from 47th/Lake ParkTerminal NB Lake Park EB 43rd, NB Oaklenwald, WB 42nd Place SB on Berkeley and WB on 43rd to 47th Red Line and Root/Halsted.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, YoungBusLover said:

I see your point about the vacant strip of 51st west of the Ryan but here's the thing where are most of these passengers going from Lake Park onward? Obviously the Red and Green lines of course but what about a quicker trip to let's say Halsted/Ashland/Damen and Western onward. Quite a few passengers will take the 15 just to transfer over to the 51 if the 47 isn't running consistently enough going back WB which in my case over the years working the 51. I've witnessed how bad those wait times are for the 47 going back WB. However, one could argue and say well what benefits does th 51 hold if it can only go to the Kedzie orange line for those 47 riders? I honestly don't have answer for that as of yet. To your point about the J14 I'm not sure if those deadhead runs via 87th street are still around or not but overall you're right about the need for short liners for either the 6 and J14. Have the J14 turn around via 83rd and Anthony and start back NB at 87th and Jeffrey or 83rd and South Chicago. The 6 shouldn't need much of short liner if you ask me. The state street corridor heading SB is more than likely getting off at 47th/Lake Park and areas between 67th and 79th and South Shore. Hyde Park via the 28 could handle the rest. The 15 is the wild card in all of this for me. Serivce needs the manpower to defunct the 51 suggestion I made. Where could the 15 short turn that isn't 63rd? Maybe MSI? 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, artthouwill said:

If you extend the 51 back east, then what do you do with the 15?  I suppose that the 15 could end at 47th and Lake Park .  Rush hours wouldn't be a problem but midday could get complex

One way to fix this is to reintroduce the X28 as the downtown route and extend the 28 local to 47th Green Line station.   Before the mid 80s, both the 28 and the 47 ran along 47th between Indiana and Lake Park.  Or extend the 28 to 43rd and Lake Park and share space with the 43 or combine the two routes.

On 8/29/2023 at 6:30 PM, Sam92 said:

If you want better intervals on that stretch just beef up the 15. I think west 51st isn't a good match for east 51st which is why they chose to separate 51st at the red line if I recall right.... As far as 43 and 28 ending combined you could be on to something cause 43 could use some ridership, the non downtown 28 isn't terribly long. While you're at it why not extend the new 28 to Walmart on 109th to make up for the one on 47th closing? 

On 3/17/2019 at 1:26 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm curious to see how members of this forum would implement their own crowding reduction plan

Figured I'd post response to the question of a crowd reduction plan here since it involves complete changes..... As far as the southeast discussion, I propose the following changes:

1: Reverse Peak only during rush hour. Interline with 26

6. Reduced to rush hour only, rerouted to union station, eliminated south of 63rd and Stony. Downtown full time routing to be assumed by restructured 28 Stony Island Express.

J14: Extended to Chicago/Mine Van Der Roh. 14 basically empty out at State anyway. Rush hour short turns between Wacker and 83rd.

15. extend from 103rd/Stony to Walmart via 111a routing.

26: Reroute to Ogilvie. Reduced to pre 2016 hours of service. Midday service work transferred to more frequently J14 midday service. Interline with 192

28 Stony Island Express: Expanded full time downtown via 6 north of 63rd with alternate sb runs terminating at 63rd. Hyde park retains current downtown service while not being tied to a route that has to double as a south east side local. 7  buses saved during peak due to these changes due to artics being used in Stony being able to reduce the need for as many buses out to 103rd and a reduced fleet requirement for providing better capacity in Hyde park. 

Eliminate route 30.

Segment north of 92nd realigned via a new 39 Pershing-Hedgwich route connecting the south east via the current 30 to 92nd, continuing through south shore along the former 27 routing to 63rd and Stony, then via stony, lake park, 47th, Pershing to Sox 35th red line. Western segment of 39 replaced by 39W mentioned below. Improved connectivity would spread out travel options for people traveling from the far east side to areas like bronzeville, continuing connection from Hyde park to south shore with 6 being changed.

39W West Pershing: Weekdays only via current routing west of red line. Most of 39 weekend ridership is east of red line and retained on restructured 39. 

43/44

43 43rd extended to 47th/Racine via 43rd to Halsted, 47th, Racine. Eliminate 44 due to duplication with Halsted north of 47th. 

95 95th: Alternate buses extended to 112th/Ave C via Colfax/Torrence, 106th. 

100 Eliminated

111A: replaced by extended 15

122 Magnificent Mile shuttle: replaces 146 service between museum campus and water tower area to retain what purpose the 146 had for being rerouted via state st. Allows improved reliability on 146 via changes below as well as providing some relief for 147/151 for short distance downtown only riders. 

146: terminate at Congress plaza

147: Reroute to LaSalle metra station to provide room for 146. 

Rail Changes coming soon 

Rail Improvements:

Modernize Roosevelt tower enabling the use of transponders to identify and sort trains. 

Extend 37th Middle to accommodate and turn back 3-4 trains. 

Purple Line Express:

Reroute via State Street subway terminating at 35th Bronzeville-IIT. Alternate departures from Howard with red line.

Red Line: Short Turns from Argyle. Select trains terminated at 35th-IIT.

Brown/Orange Line: Permanently combine. Alternate trains terminate in the loop as currently. 6 car trains midday due to reduced headways. Select AM trains terminate at Western to provide more capacity for southbound serivice quicker. 

54 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Figured I'd post response to the question of a crowd reduction plan here since it involves complete changes..... As far as the southeast discussion, I propose the following changes:

6. Reduced to rush hour only, rerouted to union station, eliminated south of 63rd and Stony. Downtown full time routing to be assumed by restructured 28 Stony Island Express.

J14: Extended to Chicago/Mine Van Der Roh. 14 basically empty out at State anyway. Rush hour short turns between Wacker and 83rd.

26: Reroute to Ogilvie. Reduced to pre 2016 hours of service. Midday service work transferred to more frequently J14 midday service. Interline with 192

28 Stony Island Express: Expanded full time downtown via 6 north of 63rd with alternate runs terminating at 63rd. Hyde park retains current downtown service while not being tied to a route that has to double as a south east side local. 7  buses saved during peak due to these changes due to artics being used in Stony being able to reduce the need for as many buses out to 103rd and a reduced fleet requirement for providing better capacity in Hyde park. 

Eliminate route 30.

Segment north of 92nd realigned via a new 39 Pershing-Hedgwich route connecting the south east via the current 30 to 92nd, continuing through south shore along the former 27 routing to 63rd and Stony, then via stony, lake park, 47th, Pershing to Sox 35th red line. Western segment of 39 replaced by 39W mentioned below. Improved connectivity would spread out travel options for people traveling from the far east side to areas like bronzeville, continuing connection from Hyde park to south shore with 6 being changed.

39W West Pershing: Weekdays only via current routing west of red line. Most of 39 weekend ridership is east of red line and retained on restructured 39. 

43/44

43 43rd extended to 47th/Racine via 43rd to Halsted, 47th, Racine. Eliminate 44 due to duplication with Halsted north of 47th. 

100 Eliminated

122 Magnificent Mile shuttle: replaces 146 service between museum campus and water tower area to retain what purpose the 146 had for being rerouted via state st. Allows improved reliability on 146 via changes below as well as providing some relief for 147/151 for short distance downtown only riders. 

Rail Changes coming soon 

Here are some thoughts, not in order.

While I wouldn't necessarily be against swapping the northern terminals of the J14 and the 26.  I don't know if I agree with the 6 and 28 swaps, especially if you want to terminate every other NB 28 at 63rd.  If anything,  I think both routes could terminate at Michigan and Wacker and any one wishing to travel to the West Loop can transfer to the 1, 7, or 126 downtown like they did pre 2003 reconstruction.  Or you can remember the nonpeak direction 2 to the 5 South Hyde Park Express  and make it a bidirectional route serving S Hyde Park Blvd in the peak direction 

This way the 28 never has to go downtown and yes yhe 5 would still go to Navy Pier

The 2 East or West Hyde Park could terminate at Michigan and Ohio since it would be a peak direction only route.  And both the 2 and the 5 could be operated by 77th garage. 

I would prefer reroute the 28  to terminate at 47th Red line via Hyde Park.  I would combine the 15 and 43 because the frequencies are a better match.  

Since I used the number 5, I would make the 71 an owl route ( N71) to run between 69th Red Line and 92nd and Commercial and interline with the N95 to run between 92nd and Commercial and 95th Red Line.   I might even consider running it to Ashland since there's a bus turnaround there for it and the 9, but maybe for driver safety I will keep it at the Red Line. 

4 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Rail Improvements:

Modernize Roosevelt tower enabling the use of transponders to identify and sort trains. 

Extend 37th Middle to accommodate and turn back 3-4 trains. 

Purple Line Express:

Reroute via State Street subway terminating at 35th Bronzeville-IIT. Alternate departures from Howard with red line.

Red Line: Short Turns from Argyle. Select trains terminated at 35th-IIT.

Brown/Orange Line: Permanently combine. Alternate trains terminate in the loop as currently. 6 car trains midday due to reduced headways. Select AM trains terminate at Western to provide more capacity for southbound serivice quicker. 

If you want to short turn Red Line trains, I think Wilson works better than Argyle.  I don't think 35th Bronzeville IIT works as a short turn for Purple AND RED Line trains, especially when you still have Green Line trains still operating.

AS for thru routing Brown and Orange Line trains,  how is that supposed to work? Are all trains that operate thru routing using Lake and Wabash?  Loop only trains circle the Loop using current routing?  I assume the Western short turns are on the north side Brown Line station?

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If you want to short turn Red Line trains, I think Wilson works better than Argyle.  I don't think 35th Bronzeville IIT works as a short turn for Purple AND RED Line trains, especially when you still have Green Line trains still operating.

AS for thru routing Brown and Orange Line trains,  how is that supposed to work? Are all trains that operate thru routing using Lake and Wabash?  Loop only trains circle the Loop using current routing?  I assume the Western short turns are on the north side Brown Line station?

You're right about 37th. Leave it for the purples. And yes I mean Western Brown. 

47 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Here are some thoughts, not in order.

While I wouldn't necessarily be against swapping the northern terminals of the J14 and the 26.  I don't know if I agree with the 6 and 28 swaps, especially if you want to terminate every other NB 28 at 63rd.  If anything,  I think both routes could terminate at Michigan and Wacker and any one wishing to travel to the West Loop can transfer to the 1, 7, or 126 downtown like they did pre 2003 reconstruction.  Or you can remember the nonpeak direction 2 to the 5 South Hyde Park Express  and make it a bidirectional route serving S Hyde Park Blvd in the peak direction 

This way the 28 never has to go downtown and yes yhe 5 would still go to Navy Pier

The 2 East or West Hyde Park could terminate at Michigan and Ohio since it would be a peak direction only route.  And both the 2 and the 5 could be operated by 77th garage. 

I would prefer reroute the 28  to terminate at 47th Red line via Hyde Park.  I would combine the 15 and 43 because the frequencies are a better match.  

Shoulda clarified.... As far as 28 short turns they would be SB at 63rd to retain the same frequency for Hyde park. Union Station to Hyde park actually had respectable ridership which is why I sent the new 6 to retain that connection. This eliminates Hyde Park service delays due to 6 being held up by south shore traffic and putting those riders on 39 while also saving buses since south Stony would be using artics vs 40fts.  If you combine 15/43 what do you do about 51st? Also 28 to 47th would be duplicative if 15 is still serving 47th via combination with 43rd. I think 43/44 frequencies aren't too far off from each other also again I'm also looking to reduce the glaring duplication of 44 and 8 which is why I chose 44 to go with 43.  As far as Argyle, the middle track is being installed at Winnona so the trains would be starting there anyway. Besides I think Lawrence is a pretty heavy stop even with it being close to Wilson so it might help to sweep those riders up as well. 

33 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Shoulda clarified.... As far as 28 short turns they would be SB at 63rd to retain the same frequency for Hyde park. Union Station to Hyde park actually had respectable ridership which is why I sent the new 6 to retain that connection. This eliminates Hyde Park service delays due to 6 being held up by south shore traffic and putting those riders on 39 while also saving buses since south Stony would be using artics vs 40fts.  If you combine 15/43 what do you do about 51st? Also 28 to 47th would be duplicative if 15 is still serving 47th via combination with 43rd. I think 43/44 frequencies aren't too far off from each other also again I'm also looking to reduce the glaring duplication of 44 and 8 which is why I chose 44 to go with 43.  As far as Argyle, the middle track is being installed at Winnona so the trains would be starting there anyway. Besides I think Lawrence is a pretty heavy stop even with it being close to Wilson so it might help to sweep those riders up as well. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the 28 using Hyde Park/51st ) the current routing for the 15) between LakLake Park and 47th Red Line.  I brought up frequencies based on @YoungBusLoverobservations of slow service on the current 15 which its scheduled frequencies are a closer match to the 43 and the 28 is about 12 to 15 minutes apart if I'm not mistaken. 

As for the 44, it really doesn't duplicate the 8.  If you travel down Wallace,  there are some ling blocks where residents east of Wallace don't have easy access to Halsted similar to residents east of S Hyde Park Blvd not having easy access to Lake Park,  the only difference being that a railroad viaduct isn't the reason for the cutoff.  Otherwise you would have a good argument.   Also the 44 serves people along 26tg and Canal who would have limited access to the Orange Line.   The 44 actually has decent ridership north of 35th.  

I think the 6 issue can be solved by just starting/ending more trips at 67th and Stony Island  or even some at the Museum at 57th.   The expanded service hours of the 26 lessens the need for a lot of 6s on South Shore Drive 

If the goal is to connect South Shore Drive with Hyde Park,  either cede that to Metra Electric or bring back the 27 and let that run to 47th Red Line via Hyde Park/51st.  Return the 71 to its terminus at 73rd and Exchange  and shorten all 6s to 67th/Lakefront or 67th and Stony Island 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

28 Stony Island Express: Expanded full time downtown via 6 north of 63rd with alternate sb runs terminating at 63rd. Hyde park retains current downtown service while not being tied to a route that has to double as a south east side local. 7  buses saved during peak due to these changes due to artics being used in Stony being able to reduce the need for as many buses out to 103rd and a reduced fleet requirement for providing better capacity in Hyde park. 

Eliminate route 30.

43/44

100 Eliminated

Rail Changes coming soon 

I'll just add my two cents with some adjustments in embolden text. 

6.Rerouted to Navy Pier, eliminated south of 67th and South Shore. Downtown full time routing shared with the #2.

J14: Extended to Chicago/Mine Van Der Roh. 14 basically empty out at State anyway. Rush hour short turns between Wacker and 87th via Anthony.

15. Would begin trips at 47th/Lake Park and extend serivce from 103rd/Stony to 112th/Ave C via 100/Torrence , 106th. 

28 Stony Island Local: Would Begin Trips at MSI to 103rd/Stony.

28 Stony Island Express: Full service daily to Downtown from 103/Stony via Lake Park/47th ending at Union Station.

All of this is a wild card toss up to me so I'm not sure how I would even adjust it.

Eliminate route 30.  

43/44

43 43rd extended to 47th/Lake Park via 43rd to Greenwood, 44th, 47th/Lake Park Terminal. Extend service on the 44 to South Loop ending Service at Clinton Blue Line Station via Canal, Van Buren and Clinton. 

95 95th: Alternate buses extended westbound to 87th/Cicero via 95th, Eastbound Service would keep its normal routing. 

100 Eliminated replaced by the extension of the 15. 

111A: Service remains the same.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the 28 using Hyde Park/51st ) the current routing for the 15) between LakLake Park and 47th Red Line.  I brought up frequencies based on @YoungBusLoverobservations of slow service on the current 15 which its scheduled frequencies are a closer match to the 43 and the 28 is about 12 to 15 minutes apart if I'm not mistaken. 

As for the 44, it really doesn't duplicate the 8.  If you travel down Wallace,  there are some ling blocks where residents east of Wallace don't have easy access to Halsted similar to residents east of S Hyde Park Blvd not having easy access to Lake Park,  the only difference being that a railroad viaduct isn't the reason for the cutoff.  Otherwise you would have a good argument.   Also the 44 serves people along 26tg and Canal who would have limited access to the Orange Line.   The 44 actually has decent ridership north of 35th.  

I think the 6 issue can be solved by just starting/ending more trips at 67th and Stony Island  or even some at the Museum at 57th.   The expanded service hours of the 26 lessens the need for a lot of 6s on South Shore Drive 

If the goal is to connect South Shore Drive with Hyde Park,  either cede that to Metra Electric or bring back the 27 and let that run to 47th Red Line via Hyde Park/51st.  Return the 71 to its terminus at 73rd and Exchange  and shorten all 6s to 67th/Lakefront or 67th and Stony Island 

On peak hours 43rd somewhat is close to 15 bus outside of that 15 tends to be 14-18 min weekday and Saturday off peak while 43rd is 25 min Saturday and off peak. Basically my plan revives the 27 by using the 39 Pershing-Hedgwich with the added benefit of connecting to bronzeville as well. I think the south shore to Hyde park is a separate market that short turning 6s doesn't quite solve cause it may not need the same frequency as Hyde park is using but yet the demand requires slightly but more than every other 6 hence giving that to another route and just making Stony the bus to serve Hyde park/downtown. When I did that math, by examining the headways I basically figured that Stony using artics could be adequately covered with the reduced service while Hyde park would get more frequent/reliable service by being attached to Stony which doesn't really encounter as many delays. What it boils down to imo is that on top of Hyde park being full of people needing to get downtown on something more convenient than metra, there's a significant south east to Hyde park, as well as bronzeville to Hyde park ridership base that could would be better off served with a separate bus which would also take pressure off the 15. 28 already goes through Hyde park anyway 

15 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'll just add my two cents with some adjustments in embolden text. 

6.Rerouted to Navy Pier, eliminated south of 67th and South Shore. Downtown full time routing shared with the #2.

J14: Extended to Chicago/Mine Van Der Roh. 14 basically empty out at State anyway. Rush hour short turns between Wacker and 87th via Anthony.

15. Would begin trips at 47th/Lake Park and extend serivce from 103rd/Stony to 112th/Ave C via 100/Torrence , 106th. 

28 Stony Island Local: Would Begin Trips at MSI to 103rd/Stony.

28 Stony Island Express: Full service daily to Downtown from 103/Stony via Lake Park/47th ending at Union Station.

All of this is a wild card toss up to me so I'm not sure how I would even adjust it.

Eliminate route 30.  

43/44

43 43rd extended to 47th/Lake Park via 43rd to Greenwood, 44th, 47th/Lake Park Terminal. Extend service on the 44 to South Loop ending Service at Clinton Blue Line Station via Canal, Van Buren and Clinton. 

95 95th: Alternate buses extended westbound to 87th/Cicero via 95th, Eastbound Service would keep its normal routing. 

100 Eliminated replaced by the extension of the 15. 

111A: Service remains the same.

As far as 95 I was actually considering an extension to Chicago ridge myself but didn't want to overrun pace. I'd have 95 limited stops west of western if I did that. As for 112th/ave C . I think 95 would be a better fit due already being close to the 100 and the alternating buses match up better with the 100. 15 would lose an adequate relief point by going to 112th. I was thinking as far as your 44 proposal... Leave the segment between 47th-31st eliminated, as per @artthouwill observations, new route 16, south canal-Navy Pier starting at 31st/Halsted via canal, deviation to the orange line, back to canal, Roosevelt, State, Illinois to Navy Pier. Connects Bridgeport to South Loop shopping district which your idea would do but also connects to full time generators.  With headways adjusted to account for artics on Stony Stony Island local would be redundant. Also as far as 15 what would you do about 51st? 

13 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

As far as 95 I was actually considering an extension to Chicago ridge myself but didn't want to overrun pace. I'd have 95 limited stops west of western if I did that. As for 112th/ave C . I think 95 would be a better fit due already being close to the 100 and the alternating buses match up better with the 100. 15 would lose an adequate relief point by going to 112th. I was thinking as far as your 44 proposal... Leave the segment between 47th-31st eliminated, as per @artthouwill observations, new route 16, south canal-Navy Pier starting at 31st/Halsted via canal, deviation to the orange line, back to canal, Roosevelt, State, Illinois to Navy Pier. Connects Bridgeport to South Loop shopping district which your idea would do but also connects to full time generators.  With headways adjusted to account for artics on Stony Stony Island local would be redundant. Also as far as 15 what would you do about 51st? 

The 381 needs an adjustment on the frequencies just a tad, I remember seeing two back to back this past weekend at 95th and Pulaski going EB and the next one behind them was literally heading WB towards Moraine which is about an Hour gap almost. The 15 extension further east would share the same relief point that 71 currently has now at 103rd/Torrence. I understand your point about the 95 covering the areas that 100 serves already. However, that corridor along 93rd Street heading EB towards South Chicago would really take a hit. I think the 44 should remain the way it is with the extension I proposed it would turn into the South Side version of what the #50 is currently. The ridership will fluctuate from time to time in the middle section between 31st and 63rd but if the added extension was implemented I guarantee more passengers would ride it knowing they could get to the south loop quicker rather than taking Ashland or Halsted.  

• Like 1

I mentioned the Circle Line in connection with transit plan/advocacy jokes, but the proposal was to interline both Pink and Orange Lines with Brown (frequencies would have balanced) via Van Buren and Wells. Essentially, the late Brownage ran that way. However, the problems are no way to go from Wells to Lake, and loss of direct connections at the Thompson Center.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

On the same token of transit plan/advocacy jokes, especially since CMAP thinks the ME is o.k., I would replace the South Chicago branch with a LRV, also maybe have a branch of that down the median of Stony Island (replacing 28), but instead of connecting it to the ME main line, terminate it at the 69th/Red Line station. Allows a dirct connection of the southeast side to CTA rail. Another benefit would be getting the Skyway ramps out of the middle of Stony Island.

@Sam92 I don't think you took adequate consideration that a major reason for a lot of the south side routings is to get people to the rapid transit. That's why there are routes such as 15 to the Red Line and 30 to 69th.

And for those complaining about 95, it's going to get PULSE, so no need to extend 95 into the suburbs. 

23 minutes ago, Busjack said:

On the same token of transit plan/advocacy jokes, especially since CMAP thinks the ME is o.k., I would replace the South Chicago branch with a LRV, also maybe have a branch of that down the median of Stony Island (replacing 28), but instead of connecting it to the ME main line, terminate it at the 69th/Red Line station. Allows a dirct connection of the southeast side to CTA rail. Another benefit would be getting the Skyway ramps out of the middle of Stony Island.

@Sam92 I don't think you took adequate consideration that a major reason for a lot of the south side routings is to get people to the rapid transit. That's why there are routes such as 15 to the Red Line and 30 to 69th.

I actually like the LRV idea for the ME South Chicago branch and even along Stony Island median,  though I think both would be more effective going downtown

Now I would support a  South Chicago Ave LRV going to 69th Red Line, though I still prefer the heavy rail on the unused freight r o w along the Skyway and connect it to the SSM.

As one who has frequently used the Skyway and the Stony Island ramps, I would say they need to stay.  The city already demolished the Michigan and Indiana ramps north of 63rd years ago. Leaving Stony Island as the only alternative to the Dan Ryan. 

• Upvote 1

I mentioned the Circle Line in connection with transit plan/advocacy jokes, but the proposal was to interline both Pink and Orange Lines with Brown (frequencies would have balanced) via Van Buren and Wells. Essentially, the late Brownage ran that way. However, the problems are no way to go from Wells to Lake, and loss of direct connections at the Thompson Center.

On your first point, with alternate browns turning back, service is balanced by not sending excessive browns out to midway also retaining the wells/Van Buren legs; forgot to mention the turn backs. By rerouting the thru-route Brownage trains via Wabash/lake you still have a Thompson center connection.  As far as the east side red connections, this is the very reason I left 15 and 71 alone. If anything with the buses saved from 28 taking over Hyde park Express service the buses/hours saved could be put towards improving reliability issues on the 15 mentioned by @YoungBusLover(added recovery time, schedule padding, an extra run). 30 would technically still go to the red line via the new 39 just to Sox-35th. If anything outside of reassigning south shore-hyde park service to a local route thus hopefully improving downtown to Hyde park reliability, I'm reintroducing the south shore-bronzeville connection that was lost through constant cuts to the #1 albeit indirectly while also aiming to reduce the need of a transfer for some riders. 

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

As one who has frequently used the Skyway and the Stony Island ramps, I would say they need to stay.  The city already demolished the Michigan and Indiana ramps north of 63rd years ago. Leaving Stony Island as the only alternative to the Dan Ryan. 

My intent wasn't to eliminate access, but to put it on Anthony Ave. and South Chicago Ave. instead of the middle lane of each side of Stony Island.

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

30 would technically still go to the red line via the new 39 just to Sox-35th. If anything outside of reassigning south shore-hyde park service to a local route thus hopefully improving downtown to Hyde park reliability, I'm reintroducing the south shore-bronzeville connection that was lost through constant cuts to the #1 albeit indirectly while also aiming to reduce the need of a transfer for some riders. 

I don't see why anyone from Hegwisch or South Chicago neighborhoods would want to go to Pershing, nor, after a long trip to the area around 71st, have to go to 35th instead of 69th to catch a train.

Any deficiency with regard to #1 could be remedied by bringing back Drexel-Hyde Park, except south of 35th is too close to Cottage Grove and the Indiana routing was too close to State and King Dr. and the Green Line. I never figured out why there should have been service on streets such as Michigan/Indiana, Washington, and Lake just because they went through the Loop.

Considering the underused Green Line, I'll repeat my suggestion that frequency on 3 and 4 should be cut north of 63rd, and, in connection with the Gray Line proposal, that frequency on Jeffery be cut north of 71st, and the riders transfer to rail, but the passengers are unwilling to stomach that (as indicated by the extension of 4 to 115th and the explanation accompanying the reinstatement of X4 without cutting 4).

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2014 at 1:07 PM, YoungBusLover said:

1.) 77th would get a total makeover.

2.) One Bus from past and current revenue service would be preserved.(Metro E and B,Nova LFS,TMC,NEW Flyer etc.....)

3.) All express routes would be brought back into service.

4.) Bus lanes would be added on all routes.

5.) Driver Transitions would be timed .(Some drivers take to long to relieve other drivers.)

6.) An equal amount of Artics would be given to all garages.

7.) Route 95W would be extended to Chicago Ridge Mall.

8.) Train and Bus Trades would be eliminated.(Stick with what ya got and learn how to take care of it properly)

9.) No Standing Passengers on Full Buses.(Crowded buses with standing passengers slow down everyone's commutes)

10.) Route 67 would become a single route and would stay on 67th traveling west until it would end at Ford City Mall, Route 69 would Start at the 69th red line station and would transition to 71st Street and continue service heading west until Pulaski and then heading south on Pulaski towards K-Mart where it would end service.

11.) During school runs. 1-3 artics are required to be in place..(1 artic every 5-15 mins)

12.) Also During school runs only students can board buses that are working school runs.(Special Destination signs on buses would have the route and School run displayed.)

13.)Bus Drivers that are 20 minutes late or higher are required to call in and ask to go express to gain back lost time.(From what ive seen from riding on route 9 Drivers do this a lot,but only after they've passed 74th street and were told to.)

Not to bump my old post but man oh man I never realized how ignorant I was to how transit operations were actually conducted. The only thing that makes sense to actually implement would probably be revamping the heritage fleet with some modern buses from at least 1995 onward I know 6472 is added but #6163 should get the nod as well to be added. Also I think everyone is in agreement of restoring express serivce on routes that originally had it pre-2010.???? last but not least funding would be a major problem to get right now to give 77th and SS a complete rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 1:38 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Not to bump my old post but man oh man I never realized how ignorant I was to how transit operations were actually conducted. The only thing that makes sense to actually implement would probably be revamping the heritage fleet with some modern buses from at least 1995 onward I know 6472 is added but #6163 should get the nod as well to be added. Also I think everyone is in agreement of restoring express serivce on routes that originally had it pre-2010.???? last but not least funding would be a major problem to get right now to give 77th and SS a complete rebuild. 

3, 7 and 13 seemed reasonable tbh.