Edgewater Metra Station

Amtrak41

For those that cannot view the video, I figured pictures would work better.

Groundwork on the Peterson-Ridge Metra station has commenced.

(East side of the train bridge on Ravenswood, on the north side of Peterson)

image.jpg

(East side of the train bridge on Ravenswood, on the south side of Peterson)

image.jpg

(West side of the train bridge on Ravenswood, on north side of Peterson)

image.jpg

• Kevin changed the title to Edgewater Metra Station
  • 2 years later...

I can't wait until this multi-million dollar waste of money opens & hardly anyone uses it!  The two reasons it exists are that former alderman Pat O'Connor's wife has extensive real estate holdings & current alderman Andre Vasquez lives maybe 200 feet away from it.  As I have lived just north of there since 1950, you should know that the C&NW closed a station at Ridge named Kenmore in 1960, due to low ridership.  It also closed the nearby Rosehill Cemetery Station at that time for the same reason. 

Just look at the surrounding area & you'll see that Rosehill Cemetery makes up over a quarter of the land area, none of its residents are going to use it.  The three other corners next to it are housing mostly for seniors, so they won't use it.  Few will take the three times an hour Peterson bus to get to it.  The tiny parking lot is a joke. 

The money should've gone to rebuild that dump of a Rogers Park Station, build a new station house there at platform level & lengthen both platforms so all the cars can open for the trains.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, Tcmetro said:

Peterson/Ridge station opening 5/20/2024:

https://40thward.org/2024/03/metra-community-meeting-debrief/

Looking at how close to finished it looked while walking home from the store yesterday, I actually would have thought sooner.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, strictures said:

I can't wait until this multi-million dollar waste of money opens & hardly anyone uses it!  The two reasons it exists are that former alderman Pat O'Connor's wife has extensive real estate holdings & current alderman Andre Vasquez lives maybe 200 feet away from it.  As I have lived just north of there since 1950, you should know that the C&NW closed a station at Ridge named Kenmore in 1960, due to low ridership.  It also closed the nearby Rosehill Cemetery Station at that time for the same reason. 

Just look at the surrounding area & you'll see that Rosehill Cemetery makes up over a quarter of the land area, none of its residents are going to use it.  The three other corners next to it are housing mostly for seniors, so they won't use it.  Few will take the three times an hour Peterson bus to get to it.  The tiny parking lot is a joke. 

The money should've gone to rebuild that dump of a Rogers Park Station, build a new station house there at platform level & lengthen both platforms so all the cars can open for the trains.

Well thank you for speaking for the entirety of our neighborhood and predicting what we'll do in the near future. And true there are three senior buildings in the nearest vicinity, the seniors don't make up the entirety of the neighborhood. 😂

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Well thank you for speaking for the entirety of our neighborhood and predicting what we'll do in the near future. And true there are three senior buildings in the nearest vicinity, the seniors don't make up the entirety of the neighborhood. 😂

No, but the cemetery does make up more than a quarter of it, with Target taking more, along with limited bus service there, as the Peterson bus is every 20 minutes on a good day & is often very crowded.  You don't build new stations until you fix up the old stations, so Rogers Park, which is a dump with platforms that are too short for all cars to open their doors at should've been rebuilt first.  Plus this waste of money also has platforms that aren't long enough for that to happen either.

The sole reason it was built was because a couple of crooked politicians wanted for their own nefarious purposes!

Ravenswood is one of the busiest stations on the Metra system, and there's no reason to believe this won't see similar success.

There's a lot of latent demand to the West Loop, and more stops on the UP-N help alleviate the lack of movement on the Clinton St subway plan.

4 hours ago, strictures said:

No, but the cemetery does make up more than a quarter of it, with Target taking more, along with limited bus service there, as the Peterson bus is every 20 minutes on a good day & is often very crowded.  You don't build new stations until you fix up the old stations

• When I lived on that end of Ridge Blvd., I would have used it, but that was based on formerly living on 55th St. and not understanding why I couldn't take a train passing by my window and instead had to take a 155 bus to either the Loyola L or the Sheridan-LaSalle bus.
    • On the logic that only dead people live there, CTA should close the Sheridan L station, which is certainly too costly to replace. 🙂 Which brings us to...
  • TAs use the grants they get. If one does not open new stations until all the old ones are fixed, the Damen Green Line station should be halted until the about 44 CTA inaccessible stations are upgraded.
    • Throwing away this grant makes about as much sense as the guy saying "duel" locomotives are more economical, but didn't mention Metra then forfeiting $186 M in federal grants.
    • If you use and have a problem with the Rogers Park station, contact Ald. Maria Hadden, office@49thward.org.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:
  •  
    • On the logic that only dead people live there, CTA should close the Sheridan L station, which is certainly too costly to replace.
    •  
  •  

The Sheridan station will get replaced by an Irving Park Rd station when the CTA straightens out the tracks there.  There's no way you can add an elevator to the current station platforms.  The station is in a very active neighborhood & the four cemeteries are away from the station.

23 minutes ago, strictures said:

The station is in a very active neighborhood & the four cemeteries are away from the station.

So is Ridge, with for instance Misercordia and S&C Electric there, as well as the dense residential area around Deon, within walking distance.

By defending an Irving Park station, you contradicted your cemetery argument about Rosehill. There's a razor wire fence keeping whoever us in Graceland off CTA, or vice versa. Graceland is immediately next to the L.

15 hours ago, Busjack said:

So is Ridge, with for instance Misercordia and S&C Electric there, as well as the dense residential area around Deon, within walking distance.

By defending an Irving Park station, you contradicted your cemetery argument about Rosehill. There's a razor wire fence keeping whoever us in Graceland off CTA, or vice versa. Graceland is immediately next to the L.

Misericordia & S&C are not going to bring one single person to Metra UP North! The current Sheridan station is a block from the cemeteries.  Most S&C employees drive there & come in through the entrance at Pratt & Ravenswood.  Misericordia employees take the 155 Devon bus. The Irving Park Station will be in approximately the same place as the current Sheridan station, but going SSE & NNW, as CTA will have to demolish a lot of buildings around there to straighten out the S-Curve.

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Misericordia & S&C are not going to bring one single person to Metra UP North!

Proof of that? I don't think you have any for 'not a single."

There's no reason why the Ravenswood station generates passengers, since it is next to the Brown Line, but it does.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There's no reason why the Ravenswood station generates passengers, since it is next to the Brown Line, but it does.

Generates a lot of passengers.   It's one of Metra's busiest stations.   Could Peterson/Ridge alleviate some of that teaffic?

I think Rt 59 was the busiest Metra station outside of downtown ice personally seen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

No S&C employee is so stupid as to walk a half mile from the new station to S&C at Devon, instead of getting off at Rogers park & walking a quarter mile to S&C at Pratt!  S&C also used to have a serious problem of some employees living on the east side of the C&NW embankment, climbing up & over the tracks between Devon & Pratt, instead of walking around to enter at one of those entrances.  So S&C paid for & installed that current 6 foot tall chainlink fence topped with barbed wire from Devon to Pratt along the west side of Ravenswood Ave.  I've lived here for 73 years now, I know this neighborhood better than any of you!

The Misericordia employees won't take it, because that means a double fare, first the CTA fare & then a Metra fare.  They don't make that kind of money to do that!

Get real, that's why the C&NW closed both the Rosehill Station at Rosehill Dr., the main entrance to the cemetery & the Kenmore station, exactly where this waste of money has been built!  No passengers!

The Misericordia employees won't take it, because that means a double fare, first the CTA fare & then a Metra fare.  They don't make that kind of money to do that!

You're making assumptions about where people live (just like what @pudgym29 did when he said that "when you get on the train at Jefferson Park to go to bars in Crystal Lake." You think everyone is going to wait 45 minutes for the 22 bus like you do and then walk an equivalent distance from Clark and Devon? Maybe they live near Main and Elmwood in Evanston.  As you said...

Get real,

which is that the station is about ready to open. You should have protested 5 years ago. Are you protesting the 6 station rebuilds on the ME? Are you doing anything effective? Of course not. Ranting about stuff based on a century ago is much easier.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, artthouwill said:

Generates a lot of passengers.   It's one of Metra's busiest stations.   Could Peterson/Ridge alleviate some of that teaffic?

I think Rt 59 was the busiest Metra station outside of downtown ice personally seen. 

Our current alderman for the 40th Ward was so of the mind that Peterson/Ridge may serve to alleviate the passenger traffic at the Ravenswood station, that last year he actually voiced in one of the ward newsletters that he sends out the possibility of expanding zone parking on a number of the block, including the one where my family and I reside, on the side streets near the station to discourage Metra riders from outside the neighborhood from gobbling up all the parking spaces.

11 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Our current alderman for the 40th Ward was so of the mind that Peterson/Ridge may serve to alleviate the passenger traffic at the Ravenswood station, that last year he actually voiced in one of the ward newsletters that he sends out the possibility of expanding zone parking on a number of the block, including the one where my family and I reside, on the side streets near the station to discourage Metra riders from outside the neighborhood from gobbling up all the parking spaces.

So much for encouraging people to use public transportation. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jajuan said:

So you live near Rahm🫡

The problem you mention is quite common. Just about anywhere near Jefferson Park and Edgebrook* stations is zoned parking. The situation in Evanston is about the same. I asked an alderperson about the weird residential street parking regulations** and about every other parking space being a separate zone code on the kiosk or app, and was told "we don't want Metra passengers parking all day on the street."

From my example of when I lived on that part of Ridge, I assumed walking 2 blocks to the Ridge entrance, and, unlike @strictures, assume someone still lives in the building, which is still there. There's plenty of people living around Damen and Devon within walking distance. But it surprises me that so many need a park and ride near Ravenswood.

----------------

*A few years ago, I dropped someone off to see a doctor at Central and Devon, and had to park one street short of Lincolnwood. Unfortunately, Grayland Station wasn't open.

**Someone who had just moved to Evanston complained that she had been ticketed twice.

46 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I had the same reaction when CTA doubled or tripled parking rates at lots such as Rosemont, but it didn't seem to hurt demand. At least the village lot in Skokie is less than the CTA lot.

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Well parking is already an issue in the area currently without the station. Folks on our block have been known to have to park a block to block and a half away from their front door simply from one neighbor having just one visitor car park on the block. Plus a number of the parking spaces on our block and in other parts of the area already require permits because that resident or a family member needs special accommodations for disability. So he's trying to balance the benefits of the new station against not exacerbating an already difficult parking situation among residents of the neighborhood.