Random Metra

garmon757

I usually use Olgilvie & I still wonder why Metra won't buy ticket machines that take cash. LA Metrolink has them everywhere on their property & all their stations.

Just why is Metra so hopelessly backwards in ticketing technology?

They have them on the Metra Electric (going back to the IC in the 1970s) and the surcharge is assessed at any Metra Electric station, most of which do not have agents.

At this point, I guess Metra is waiting for whatever the open fare solution is going to be.

I'm surprised that they are discouraging paying the extra $3, but with the proposal for $5, maybe the $3 isn't worth that much to Metra.

I guess not. :ph34r:

I usually use Olgilvie & I still wonder why Metra won't buy ticket machines that take cash. LA Metrolink has them everywhere on their property & all their stations.

Just why is Metra so hopelessly backwards in ticketing technology?

Personally I'm waiting for them to collect your fare with little handheld Ventra Card readers. Collecting all the different colored 1-ride tickets is cool, but I'm running out of room in my laptop case to hold them all! :P

The ME has them, only because the IC bought them.

Not the second generation. The first generation fare controls were beige with squeeze things to admit the passengers, while the second generation were more conventional turnstiles.

Maybe the explanation is that only the IC/ME had fare controls.

Let's also remember that Metra only collects the surcharge when an agent is not in the station, which is the case, at least in the afternoon, at most suburban stations. So, maybe it didn't find a need for ticket machines.

The South Shore seems more advanced in this regard, as it does have ticket machines, and is the lead agency for the phone app.

You also have to remember all the hubbub with the vending machines/gates and how people hated them and wanted to be like everyone else. This whole fare thing is a joke. Customer service keeps putting up the $5 surcharge all over Randolph Street, even though it has been postponed indefinitely. Someone just refuses to read the mail. Most of us don't charge the $3 outside of downtown because 7 out of 10 machines don't work, either because they don't empty them out and there is too much money, or they just don't accept the bills or there is no ticket stock. In addition, 40% of the time you can't read the zones or ticket type because there is no ink in the machines to properly print.

Rumor has it (oh joy) that the phone app crap is suppose to be coming within a month or 2. No Ventra, and not similar to South Shore. I am sure it'll be a failure, just like the test was with scanning all tickets (that was scrapped even before the test was done) and the inept geofocus provided info.

I just got up, and Bruce Levine was on the radio about taking an ice tea to the auto show from the south side. Wayne Randazzo said something about "you carried an ice tea?" to which Levine said, no IC, Illinois Central, something like Metra now. Randazzo then said something about "coming from Memphis" to which Levine said it came from South Bend. Randazzo asked if it was the green and white cars or that was the L and Levine said that was the L, these cars were gray.* The he said it was the South Shore or connected with the South Shore.

The next Scoreboard Update was sponsored by the RTA Trip Planner, which is about as confused.

_________

*AT first I thought olive green, but maybe he postdates the Highliners.

#150-184 for the F40PH-2s and #185-214 for the F40PHM-2s. The rest, and #215 and #216 are F40PH-3s.

I could be wrong, as these numbers are from Wikipedia.

Thanks. I personally think it don't make any logical sense to rehab the F40PH-2s because of them aging. The F40PHM-2's makes more sense to be rehabbed. The only concern I have is which of them are going to be rehabbed and is there any retirements coming up soon since they only rehabbing 41 of them??? It's just an odd number of them to be rehabbed. I'm surprised that they couldn't start any kind of bidding for new locomotives. GE locomotives anybody???? :)

...I'm surprised that they couldn't start any kind of bidding for new locomotives. GE locomotives anybody???? :)

As far as I know they haven't been bidding yet, but they have announced interest in new locomotives. The question is whether they can get locomotives that are Union Pacific friendly, or they'll just have to upgrade the infrastructure.

Right now the Siemens Charger may be the best option for Metra. In fact, the Illinois Department of Transportation is interested in them. It's not as good looking as a GE Genesis, but it weighs a bit less, according to a Siemens publication.

As far as I know they haven't been bidding yet, but they have announced interest in new locomotives. The question is whether they can get locomotives that are Union Pacific friendly, or they'll just have to upgrade the infrastructure.

Right now the Siemens Charger may be the best option for Metra. In fact, the Illinois Department of Transportation is interested in them. It's not as good looking as a GE Genesis, but it weighs a bit less, according to a Siemens publication.

Ahhhh, very nice but the only problem is how can Metra budget well if they can get a shot of them??? I didn't know Siemens made locomotives. Hell, this sends me way back 10 years ago when my mother had a Siemens flip phone! :lol:

The locomotive work was foreshadowed by the lead up to the fare increase.

GE Transportation is still around, and headquartered in Chicago.

Most of the rest the two of you cite probably would raise Buy America Act problems. Although Siemens does stuff like light rail here, the question is whether 41 locomotives is enough to be worth setting up shop.*

And, of course, everything now will mention positive train control, since it looks like the railroads are not going to get out of the mandate or have the deadline extended, and that was the main justification for the immediate fare increase ("the feds mandated it but didn't provide the funds").

*It looks from their site that they do mostly Europe, Asia and Africa, and electric locomotives.

...I didn't know Siemens made locomotives. Hell, this sends me way back 10 years ago when my mother had a Siemens flip phone! :lol:

I first heard about Siemens Mobility when they made traction motors for some of the R160s in New York City. Then they made the 0700s for the Boston Blue Line.

But as Busjack pointed out, they have a whole locomotive operation going for them on the other side of the Atlantic.

...GE Transportation is still around, and headquartered in Chicago.

Most of the rest the two of you cite probably would raise Buy America Act problems. Although Siemens does stuff like light rail here, the question is whether 41 locomotives is enough to be worth setting up shop.*...

*It looks from their site that they do mostly Europe, Asia and Africa, and electric locomotives.

If GE could get their Genesis to shed a few pounds, I'd welcome it with open arms.

This might've been linked awhile back, but someone put it up on peopleoftheCTA's Facebook, so I figured, what the heck.... view and enjoy(if you haven't already)....

Who's the crazy one.... the rule enforcer, or the crazy, cell phone caller???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=kupTj6yC65U&app=desktop

That was sickening to watch! Regardless even if the guy was breaking the rules, that guy had no right to putting his hands on the smaller guy. I would have pressed charges!

• 2 weeks later...

I found an article in Metro-Magazine which was reprinted from the Detroit Free Press concerning some former Metra carshttp://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/25/official-warned-mdot-railcar-leases/23970713/

The freaky thing is that Ann Arbor Mich wants commuter rail. Maybe they think that University of Michigan needs something on the cheap.

I first heard about Siemens Mobility when they made traction motors for some of the R160s in New York City. Then they made the 0700s for the Boston Blue Line.

But as Busjack pointed out, they have a whole locomotive operation going for them on the other side of the Atlantic.

If GE could get their Genesis to shed a few pounds, I'd welcome it with open arms.

The Genesis locomotives are actually lighter than the MP36's and only 8,000 lbs heavier than the F40PH's. Me personally, I'd rather go with a new design like the EMD F125 or the Siemens Charger.

I found an article in Metro-Magazine which was reprinted from the Detroit Free Press concerning some former Metra carshttp://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/25/official-warned-mdot-railcar-leases/23970713/

Looks like the cars they got were old BN cars. They did some nice work inside.

http://www.semcog.org/A2D2_September2011.aspx

Looks like the cars they got were old BN cars. They did some nice work inside.

http://www.semcog.org/A2D2_September2011.aspx

Yes, from the letterboard. Around here, all we hear is about old CN&W cars.

That one mentions the Detroit service,while others mention the WALLY (Ann Arbor-Howell) service.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing that they're about to start phase 3 of the 25th Avenue Grade Separation Project between Lake Street and St. Charles Road. This project is part of the CREATE Program and expect to be completed by Fall 2016.

I found some links about this project but there aren't up to date though.

http://createprogram.org/tiger5_files/2013-01_Final_PDR_25th.pdf (795 pages)

http://www3.illinois.gov/pressreleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=10383

http://www.createprogram.org/factsheets/GS6.pdf

post-1364-0-24136500-1426101593_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-87937100-1426101616_thumb.jp

I found some links about this project but there aren't up to date though.

As indicated by the IDOT report stating that 325 would be affected, but that became 303 which runs on 19th Ave. I wonder if the detour will cause any congestion and what purports to be downtown Melrose Park (19th Ave. south of Lake).