Random Metra

garmon757

Maywood and Melrose Park have ample service that connects to CTA L services. Metra rider ship in those areas don't justify any more service

Ridiculous!

The point of an integrated system is to make transferring easy, not difficult to impossible.

The current skip/stop schedules are self-fulfilling prophecies. Cut back service & people are forced to find another way to go, thus creating a death spiral of ridership.

Neither of the other UP Lines have any skip/stop service, so I must seriously consider whether there is some racism there!

Ridiculous!

The point of an integrated system is to make transferring easy, not difficult to impossible.

The current skip/stop schedules are self-fulfilling prophecies. Cut back service & people are forced to find another way to go, thus creating a death spiral of ridership.

Neither of the other UP Lines have any skip/stop service, so I must seriously consider whether there is some racism there!

The other lines have various variations of express service. For instance, the UP N inbound, besides having some trips starting in Winnetka, has some skipping North Chicago-Great Lakes and Glencoe-Hubbard Woods before skipping the Winnetka local zone, others skipping Ft. Sheridan-Highwood and Ravinia (Roger Williams). Similar skip stop pattern outbound in the p.m. rush.

UP NW has certain trains bypassing Mt. Prospect and Cumberland.

Maywood-Melrose Park alternating may be a bit unusual, but most Milw W trains bypass Mannheim. I don't think the same racial group lives in Stone Park, and in fact, the same racial groups don't live in the northern sections of Maywood and downtown Melrose Park.

And, of course, Chicago does not have an integrated transit system. Whatever gave you the idea that it does (especially as far as Metrfa is concerned)?

• Upvote 2

Maywood-Melrose Park alternating may be a bit unusual, but most Milw W trains bypass Mannheim. I don't think the same racial group lives in Stone Park, and in fact, the same racial groups don't live in the northern sections of Maywood and downtown Melrose Park.

And, of course, Chicago does not have an integrated transit system. Whatever gave you the idea that it does (especially as far as Metrfa is concerned)?

Well, Bellwood Station and the train yard by Mannheim Road plays a factor despite being a little bit over a mile from Melrose Park Station. Money is also an issue both Maywood and Melrose Park even though Melrose Park has potential to upgrade the station. Also, having two tracks between River Forest and Melrose Park is an issue because it was supposed to expand to three tracks just like they did between 25th Avenue and Elmhurst (great job indeed) to eliminate bottle necks and create more express trains. Mannhiem station on MD-W is only a 2-cars to open station (I seriously think it shouldn't exist in the first place). As far as ethnicity goes, it's extremely bushleague because Bellwood, Maywood, Stone Park, and Melrose Park are some of the most diverse towns in the mid-west suburbs. You're indeed right about Chicago poor, deploring decision making not to have an integrated transit system.

The other lines have various variations of express service. For instance, the UP N inbound, besides having some trips starting in Winnetka, has some skipping North Chicago-Great Lakes and Glencoe-Hubbard Woods before skipping the Winnetka local zone, others skipping Ft. Sheridan-Highwood and Ravinia (Roger Williams). Similar skip stop pattern outbound in the p.m. rush.

UP NW has certain trains bypassing Mt. Prospect and Cumberland.

UP-NW trains missing Cumberland and Mount Prospect are rush hour only. Even Arlington Heights, the busiest station on the line, is missed by #610, #620, #622, #630 #632 and #656 inbound and #631, #635 and #641 outbound. The only station not served non-rush hour is Gladstone Park (a one car rush hour station like Mannheim on MD-W).

The BNSF non rush hour service (every 2 hours) misses many stations due to providing necessary paths for freight trains. The location of Melrose Park and Maywood close to the east exit of UP main yard in Chicago, which could delay freight trains is the reason for the skip stop service provided non-rush hour. Remember UP and BNSF provide service for Metra on lines owned by the railroads.

• Upvote 1

How much longer are some of the 8500s staying on the UP lines? I thought the 8400 rehab was done, but I caught a 8500 home on the UP-NW line last Wednesday, the 1st of April. And even though it was April Fools it wasn't an 8400 in disguise. :ph34r:

I know trainman8119 answered why they were there, but I previously didn't ask how long the 8500s were staying.

I've always wondered too, it seems so arbitary. Maybe if it hits 80 mph, it will enter the Magic Railway :rolleyes:

79 has been the national speed limit for "conventional" trains since 1970's at least. Most likely imposed by Interstate Commerce Commission in the days before the FRA. I seem to remember this was from the same era as the 55mph highway speed limit, so it might have been an energy-conservation measure.

How much longer are some of the 8500s staying on the UP lines? I thought the 8400 rehab was done, but I caught a 8500 home on the UP-NW line last Wednesday, the 1st of April. And even though it was April Fools it wasn't an 8400 in disguise. :ph34r:

I know trainman8119 answered why they were there, but I previously didn't ask how long the 8500s were staying.

Seems like there is some equipment scrambling that may be independent of the rehabs, i.e. some 6000s on the Milw lines, although that may be because 7400s are being rehabbed.

Seems like it. Interesting that they seem to be swapping 8500s like they're 6000s and vice versa.

The issue there is how many event recorders are needed in one train. Since standard size Milw and RI trains usually have 2 8500s, that means there are 3 event recorders (another in the locomotive). This came up when there were the crashes at 47th. However, you usually see only one cab car on a UP train.

Some pictures I took before and while riding the other day. In the last picture I'm in car 8526.

post-0-0-79042000-1428287576_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-49455400-1428287596_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-40756100-1428287615_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-11630400-1428287633_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-46189600-1428287654_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-52067700-1428287664_thumb.jpg

The issue there is how many event recorders are needed in one train. Since standard size Milw and RI trains usually have 2 8500s, that means there are 3 event recorders (another in the locomotive). This came up when there were the crashes at 47th. However, you usually see only one cab car on a UP train.

Ah, aside from your last sentence, I didn't consider that.
  • Upvote 1

Actually it has nothing to do with event recorders. The reason there would be multiple cab cars in trains is that they are broken up in the yard or depot to make shorter trains during midday or weekend. For example, some of the midday trains on the MDN come into town with 7,8, or 9 cars. They are cut (weather permitting, unless needed) at Union Station to make 4 car trains and therefore there would be an additional cab car in that position to make the trip back. We also used to cut some trains in Elgin on Saturdays as there was no reason to use 9 car trains. The purpose was to balance out the use of power without exhausting all of the fuel on the units, so the use of the equipment was balanced out. Also, if there are enough cars out of service, an 8400-8500 will fill the role of designated ADA car, or simply an extra cab car in case of bad order (similar to multiple unit engines).

Actually it has nothing to do with event recorders. The reason there would be multiple cab cars in trains is that they are broken up in the yard or depot to make shorter trains during midday or weekend. For example, some of the midday trains on the MDN come into town with 7,8, or 9 cars. They are cut (weather permitting, unless needed) at Union Station to make 4 car trains and therefore there would be an additional cab car in that position to make the trip back. We also used to cut some trains in Elgin on Saturdays as there was no reason to use 9 car trains. The purpose was to balance out the use of power without exhausting all of the fuel on the units, so the use of the equipment was balanced out. Also, if there are enough cars out of service, an 8400-8500 will fill the role of designated ADA car, or simply an extra cab car in case of bad order (similar to multiple unit engines).

I don't see any of that on the Milw N. Off rush, there usually is a 5-6 car train, and I don't think I have ever seen a 3 or 4 car train, which is what would be implied by having 2 cab cars. On the other hand, it seems like rush hour trains have more 7200s, but a 9 car train sure doesn't have 3 or 4 cab cars.

Some pictures I took before and while riding the other day. In the last picture I'm in car 8526.

attachicon.gifIMG_0320.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0321.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0322.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0323.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0324.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0326.jpg

Ah, aside from your last sentence, I didn't consider that.

I just got back from Disney World yesterday. I drove to Florida and back. When passing through Nashville I made a brief stop to eat some good Tennessee barbeque. I also wanted to catch a glimpse of one of their STAR commuter trains. Their commuter line of course acquired several ex CNW bilevel coaches still in the blue/red stripe Metra scheme but slightly modified. Didn't catch one. On the way back I did spot a Nashville MTA bus yard. Just next to the bus yard I did spot two ex CNW bilevels one in RTA brown/orange stripe and the other was in the last Metra scheme. Both cars looked very drab and rusting. Since I was in heavy traffic, it was very difficult to stop and get pics. If you go on Google Earth and type in (435 Nestor st./Nashville TN) You will see an MTA bus yard and an ex CNW/exVRE Pullman bilevel car. This is where the other two bilevel cars I mentioned are as well.

I just got back from Disney World yesterday. I drove to Florida and back. When passing through Nashville I made a brief stop to eat some good Tennessee barbeque. I also wanted to catch a glimpse of one of their STAR commuter trains. Their commuter line of course acquired several ex CNW bilevel coaches still in the blue/red stripe Metra scheme but slightly modified. Didn't catch one. On the way back I did spot a Nashville MTA bus yard. Just next to the bus yard I did spot two ex CNW bilevels one in RTA brown/orange stripe and the other was in the last Metra scheme. Both cars looked very drab and rusting. Since I was in heavy traffic, it was very difficult to stop and get pics. If you go on Google Earth and type in (435 Nestor st./Nashville TN) You will see an MTA bus yard and an ex CNW/exVRE Pullman bilevel car. This is where the other two bilevel cars I mentioned are as well.

That wasn't Metra and I should know. That was a VRE train, I rode those cars early on when I got to DC but they were gone almost a year later. There's only a few left now, and they don't seem to be in revenue service, since I can see the yard from one of the places I frequently visit and they are moved very rarely. Pretty far for it to be.

Music City Star bought cars directly from Metra for the start up (400-402 were 8753/60/1 driving cars and 500-503 were 7758/9/82/3). These are used in service on the Lebanon line.

VRE V451 seen in the Google shot was ex Metra 7845.

Has everyone bought from Metra? Speaking of, everyone is in the process of receiving or rehabbing train cars. I have pictures of the new Bilevels MARC has been in the process of receiving.

Has everyone bought from Metra? Speaking of, everyone is in the process of receiving or rehabbing train cars. I have pictures of the new Bilevels MARC has been in the process of receiving.

Can't say everybody, but Metra seems to be the only source of used bilevel cars (as opposed to the Bombardier ones).

The reports here indicate that there are a number of small operations trying to set up commuter lines without getting new cars.

Can't say everybody, but Metra seems to be the only source of used bilevel cars (as opposed to the Bombardier ones).

The reports here indicate that there are a number of small operations trying to set up commuter lines without getting new cars.

As an aside, Caltrain picked up 16 bombardiers from MetroLinkThey should be up and running by Fall.

But you would think, with many single levels out there, agencies haven't picked some of those older ones up.

They must be, since MARC has about 12 in storage for emergency situations (crashs, heavy passenger loads, etc)

Remembering the 79 MPH thing, was that Metra or Amtrak? I just realized that MARC trains are authorized for 125 mph, 129 mph max speeds, which makes that the fastest in the US if I remember correctly.

Maybe railroad.net has the answer.

If MARC is running 125, it would have to be certified as high speed rail. Acela could be, but I doubt that a commuter railroad is.

Maybe railroad.net has the answer.

If MARC is running 125, it would have to be certified as high speed rail. Acela could be, but I doubt that a commuter railroad is.

Looking deeper, only the Penn Line (The line that travels the NE Corridor to Perryville along Amtrak's RoW) can achieve 125 mph. Its the only one that has electric engines assigned to it as well. Since Camden and Brunswick can't, I think MARC still classifies as commuter rail.