Random Metra

garmon757

It would be pretty cool if Metra had a map style train tracker similar to the CTA. I thought about it after I picked someone up from the Woodstock station because there's always a train that goes nonstop through the station right after the outbound train I meet leaves. Sometimes they meet at the crossing after the station so they have to sound their horns. It would be interesting to know what that train is there for.

It would be pretty cool if Metra had a map style train tracker similar to the CTA. I thought about it after I picked someone up from the Woodstock station because there's always a train that goes nonstop through the station right after the outbound train I meet leaves. Sometimes they meet at the crossing after the station so they have to sound their horns. It would be interesting to know what that train is there for.

The question essentially is whether it is a scheduled train, because if it isn't, it wouldn't be on a tracker. as the tracker requires a train number (including on CTA), and does not run based on fleet numbers. Otherwise, you should be able to determine what train it is by interpolating the schedule.

While browsing Metra's site I found an interesting page concerning a new safety measure for 8 Metra lines. 

The question essentially is whether it is a scheduled train, because if it isn't, it wouldn't be on a tracker. as the tracker requires a train number (including on CTA), and does not run based on fleet numbers. Otherwise, you should be able to determine what train it is by interpolating the schedule.

True, though it might be nice for those who haven't ridden Metra before, just in case. Or at least more emphasis on the new riders page.

The eastbound non-stop train in question is a deadhead equipment move.  It's turned off of outbound train 627, and heads back east to the yard at Barrington after arriving Harvard.  According to the ETT, the train id is 6270...

• Upvote 2

At this point, I would rather prefer the destination signs on the sides of the train, a la NJT and Metrolink (for viewing and travel purposes). A map-style tracker just seems (almost) adjunct and not as an (almost) utility [although you can track Amtrak trains by location now].

At this point, I would rather prefer the destination signs on the sides of the train, a la NJT and Metrolink (for viewing and travel purposes). A map-style tracker just seems (almost) adjunct and not as an (almost) utility [although you can track Amtrak trains by location now].

About the only place that would need them is the ME, which used to have them (and, for that matter, primarily at 57th). Given that the downtown stations have sign boards at the gates, usually the only issue is something like you got onto a local in Edgebrook and have to transfer at Glenview or Lake Cook if you are going to Fox Lake. Maybe the BNSF is more complicated.

I would like the trains to have the train number on every coach near the doors.

I want to know if it's all local or an express.

Signs on the trains would be really nice. On the Union Pacific West Line, during rush hour, there are like a dozen types of express trains which make or skip different combinations of stops and they're all within like a half an hour of each other, so you have to make sure to stand next to a door where a conductor will be present at stations like Oak Park to see if it's the one making the stops you need (especially when trains are late and arrive at the scheduled time of another train).

Signs on the trains would be really nice. On the Union Pacific West Line, during rush hour, there are like a dozen types of express trains which make or skip different combinations of stops and they're all within like a half an hour of each other, so you have to make sure to stand next to a door where a conductor will be present at stations like Oak Park to see if it's the one making the stops you need (especially when trains are late and arrive at the scheduled time of another train).

But then you would essentially need the same sign boards on the outside of the train that are at the stations.

But then you would essentially need the same sign boards on the outside of the train that are at the stations.

Well, it could at least have the train number and terminus station. Then you could check the schedule. There are about 3-4 trains all in like 20 minutes at Oak Park, some of which go all the way to Elburn, some of which end at Elmhurst, some go to Geneva, some don't, and if they're late by a couple minutes you don't know which time slot it really is. Seeing the train number would help...

Well, it could at least have the train number and terminus station. Then you could check the schedule. There are about 3-4 trains all in like 20 minutes at Oak Park, some of which go all the way to Elburn, some of which end at Elmhurst, some go to Geneva, some don't, and if they're late by a couple minutes you don't know which time slot it really is. Seeing the train number would help...

Whenever Metra gets new cars they could display the train number the way the new Highliners do. The cost of adding them would likely be minimal and they could share parts between electric and diesel cars. Those are a big help when boarding an outbound train at 57th, when University Park (100s), Blue Island (200s), and S. Chicago (300s) all come within minutes of each other. Otherwise it would be too easy to get on the wrong train as you have described. (Although, it wouldn't completely solve that problem since most people have no idea what their train number is.)

• Upvote 1

I really hope I was seeing things, but the other day I was stopped by an outbound Metra at Crystal Lake, and I swear the doors on the last car were wide open as it was pulling out of the station. It was like the video below but worse.

Extreme cold and ice is often the cause of the doors staying open, as is probably the case in the video. But it hasn't been that cold lately, so I don't know what could have caused the one you saw in Crystal Lake.

"Somehow I don't think this is safe, Metra's got issues!"

While browsing Metra's site I found an interesting page concerning a new safety measure for 8 Metra lines. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-metra-chimes-in-on-when-to-slow-down-20150904-htmlstory.html

Tribune story with audio of the chimes and a map of the locations. I know of one not shown on the map, on the Southwest Service between 179th and Laraway.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-metra-chimes-in-on-when-to-slow-down-20150904-htmlstory.html

Tribune story with audio of the chimes and a map of the locations. I know of one not shown on the map, on the Southwest Service between 179th and Laraway.

"...It sounds like the doorbell of a 7-11..."

That's actually a really accurate way of describing it. :P

Thanks for providing the link. I've been wondering what the chimes sound like.

"...It sounds like the doorbell of a 7-11..."

That's actually a really accurate way of describing it. :P

Thanks for providing the link. I've been wondering what the chimes sound like.

I figured you would, since your line the UPNW doesn't have any. I have a scanner recording of the conductor calling the engineer that I'll put on here if I can figure out how to.

• 2 weeks later...

On my way back from Aurora today, I heard the following announcement about five times: "Conductor, please report to the customer service car". It was always immediately after "The next stop will be XXXXX". First time was at Lisle and the last at Cicero. I have only heard that announcement once before, on the UPNW, and that time it only played once. So, what is the "customer service car" and what would cause the announcement? If it matters, both times that I heard it were on weekend trains that were more crowded than usual.

On my way back from Aurora today, I heard the following announcement about five times: "Conductor, please report to the customer service car". It was always immediately after "The next stop will be XXXXX". First time was at Lisle and the last at Cicero. I have only heard that announcement once before, on the UPNW, and that time it only played once. So, what is the "customer service car" and what would cause the announcement? If it matters, both times that I heard it were on weekend trains that were more crowded than usual.

I heard that one ten days ago on an inbound weekday UP North train.

So I asked a conductor on the outbound train I took in the afternoon & he said he hadn't ever heard that & he thought the customer service car was the cab car at the end of the train outbound & the lead car inbound.

Amazing that Metra adds an announcement & forgets to tell the operating employees or tells the railroads to tell them!

I heard that one ten days ago on an inbound weekday UP North train.

So I asked a conductor on the outbound train I took in the afternoon & he said he hadn't ever heard that & he thought the customer service car was the cab car at the end of the train outbound & the lead car inbound.

Amazing that Metra adds an announcement & forgets to tell the operating employees or tells the railroads to tell them!

The Customer Service car is the ADA car. The announcement would be input to the GPS box for a station to remind the conductor (or brakeman) that an ADA passenger is getting off at that station and is a reminder to get there. Since the designated ADA car on the UP is the cab car, that would be the lead car on an inbound train and the rear car on an outbound train (as the UP conductor stated). Realize that UP  (and BNSF) trains may have extra board personnel that work freight. If that person was one who worked more freight than passenger and most extra board people are usually newer hires, it is possible that this person had never heard that actual announcement made. Most crews don't like playing with the GPS other than the start point entry, so you don't hear that too much these days.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I bet none of them waited for the lights to stop flashing or checked for another train before they started crossing.

Most likely not, as a train going the opposite direction had just served the station beforehand.

19 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Not that unusual in rush hour.

Though there appears to only be one for this line.

40 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Though there appears to only be one for this line.

The only regular two locomotive trains on UPNW now are an out and back in the afternoon.

3:45PM Chicago to Harvard 5:24PM - #625

5:35PM Harvard to Chicago 7:23PM - #658

Until the end of December 2010

5:16PM Chicago to Harvard 6:46PM - #641

5:47AM Harvard to Chicago 7:22AM - #610

also often had two locomotives.