Random Metra

garmon757

I've been noticing a sound in recent months on the Metra that I never heard before late 2015. It's a descending major triad chord played by some sort of bell or chime. Just three notes, descending. There's no voice announcement afterwards and I can't seem to pick out what triggers this sound. This morning it was particularly loud on the MD-W line, enough to hurt my ears every time it played (about 3-4 times if I remember correctly). What does this sound mean?

On 3/1/2016 at 9:18 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

No idea, but Wifi + power plugs = the best commute ever. I'm happy Metra is actively working on the Wifi project.

Now if only there were more power plugs...it seems like 1 out of every 3 trains on UP-W has a head car with plugs, and it's only the cab cars that ever have them (sometimes there's a cab car shoved in the middle, but not usually). Plenty of the UP-W cars have covers where there could be a plug, but they aren't there except on some cab cars... 

Just now, briman94 said:

I've been noticing a sound in recent months on the Metra that I never heard before late 2015. It's a descending major triad chord played by some sort of bell or chime. Just three notes, descending. There's no voice announcement afterwards and I can't seem to pick out what triggers this sound. This morning it was particularly loud on the MD-W line, enough to hurt my ears every time it played (about 3-4 times if I remember correctly). What does this sound mean?

It's the newish conductor/engineer warning sound. It means the train is approaching a curve (usually) that warrants a speed reduction. The conductor must confirm that the engineer is taking the appropriate actions to safely operate the train on the upcoming track.

Does it sound like a 7-11 doorbell?

Just now, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

It's the newish conductor/engineer warning sound. It means the train is approaching a curve (usually) that warrants a speed reduction. The conductor must confirm that the engineer is taking the appropriate actions to safely operate the train on the upcoming track.

Interesting...I didn't know the conductors were involved in any driving operations. It's quite loud most of the time...a bit obnoxious if you ask me. At least lower it a few decibels.

Just now, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Does it sound like a 7-11 doorbell?

Yes, that's actually a very accurate comparison :P

2 minutes ago, briman94 said:

Interesting...I didn't know the conductors were involved in any driving operations. It's quite loud most of the time...a bit obnoxious if you ask me. At least lower it a few decibels.

Yes, that's actually a very accurate comparison :P

I don't know how the conductors communicate with the engineer, but it may be by using their radios or knocking on the wall where the driver sits. You're not alone if you're saying it's too loud too.

As for the comparison, someone said that when the sounds were first used. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, briman94 said:

I've always thought prepaid boarding would benefit the Metra. I can consistently get a free ride depending on where I board and where I sit on the UP-W line when I get on at Oak Park. Relying on conductors to collect the proper fare is probably why Metra is in such a big financial crisis..

Besides the issue of how you are going to enforce zone fares, if the herding is bad at the CTA  bus stop at Belmont Blue Line, how are you going to board 300 passengers at once at one train in Naperville? One door in an 11 car train? Remember, unlike CTA L platforms, Metra platforms on diesel lines are not grade separated from the approach, and many trains extend over the cross street.

Also, there isn't any big financial crisis, because most riders are on monthlies. Metra says it needs fares to cover capital.

On 5/26/2016 at 7:03 AM, busfan2847 said:

Former MARC car 7882 is on UPNW #610 this morning. It still has MARC informational labeling inside including MARC gallery car safety instructions at each seat. I noticed every window is an emergency window. If it has reverted to it's original number this is a Rock Island car. Did it always have this many emergency windows or did MARC put them in?

Another renumbered ex MARC car is former RI 7883. Saw it in a consist leaving Western Avenue yesterday afternoon.

On June 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM, briman94 said:

Now if only there were more power plugs...it seems like 1 out of every 3 trains on UP-W has a head car with plugs, and it's only the cab cars that ever have them (sometimes there's a cab car shoved in the middle, but not usually). Plenty of the UP-W cars have covers where there could be a plug, but they aren't there except on some cab cars... 

The ones with plugs are the only type that are going to get plugs at the moment, since they are undergoing a rehab. The ones with the plates installed are newer, and given the few spare cars they have, I don't see Metra taking them out of service just for plugs.

I personally like the railcars without plugs the best, but that's because they look better aesthetically as a whole in my opinion. If they actually had plugs, I'd like them even more.

19 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The ones with plugs are the only type that are going to get plugs at the moment, since they are undergoing a rehab. The ones with the plates installed are newer, and given the few spare cars they have, I don't see Metra taking them out of service just for plugs.

I personally like the railcars without plugs the best, but that's because they look better aesthetically as a whole in my opinion. If they actually had plugs, I'd like them even more.

The cars that are being fitted with power plugs at the moment are the Amerail cars built in 1995/6 in the 7400 (trailer) and 8400 (cab cars) series which have been going though rehab since 2012 (due to be completed end of 2016). The latest ones rehabed are fitted with the new non-reversible seats. On the UP lines this means only the cab cars are likely to have power sockets as in general they are the only Amerail cars on those lines. Most new UP cars are Bombardier Nippon Sharyo cars in the 6000 series built in 2002-2005. However I did catch 7451 on #625 last Friday with new seats (and power sockets)!

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, briman94 said:

This is overkill implemented by the FRA in regards to the Amtrak incident in Philadelphia. It is designed to have the conductor contact the engineer when there is a curve which the speed limit is a minimum 20mph slower than the maximum speed. It IS loud...it IS obnoxious, it IS annoying, and it IS totally unnecessary. But, that is where we are today.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:50 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I don't know how the conductors communicate with the engineer, but it may be by using their radios or knocking on the wall where the driver sits. You're not alone if you're saying it's too loud too.

As for the comparison, someone said that when the sounds were first used. :ph34r:

It is done by radio so it can be monitored by those who are supposed to monitor the radios but don't until something happens then they claim they do when they need to justify their position.

Anyone still waiting for Metra Electric Train #751 Departing Chicago, you might be in for quite a wait.....

Metra Electric District

Outbound Train #751, scheduled to depart Chicago at 4:38 PM on 6/17/16, is operating 570 minutes behind schedule.

Posted: 06/17/2016 03:10 AM

Just under a 10 Hour Delay..... no explanation on Metra's page.....

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Anyone still waiting for Metra Electric Train #751 Departing Chicago, you might be in for quite a wait.....

Metra Electric District

Outbound Train #751, scheduled to depart Chicago at 4:38 PM on 6/17/16, is operating 570 minutes behind schedule.

There's always 753.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, sw4400 said:

Metra Electric District

You just have to love that useless GPS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now how did this happen exactly? Friday night, a Metra train struck a vehicle in New Lenox. It sounded like a normal day for Metra until I saw the news reports and video. The pickup truck wasn't at a crossing, it had driven down a gravel access road, then up onto the railroad embankment. Just where did he think he was going? The ABC7 article says that a "good Samaritan saw what was about to happen and pulled the driver to safety with a speeding train just moments away". It couldn't have happened that fast, because if you saw the truck on the tracks, you would have to drive east to the crossing, then back west along the service road. Also, I don't know why the driver of the truck couldn't have simply opened the door himself and got out. I'm thinking he was impaired somehow, which might explain how he ended up there in the first place.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/good-samaritan-describes-saving-man-from-getting-hit-by-metra-train-in-new-lenox/1431214/

http://patch.com/illinois/newlenox/video-metra-hits-truck-new-lenox?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=police %26 fire&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-topstories

Aerial view of location. The truck was hit in the gravel area west of the overpass, on the north side of the tracks.new lenox.jpg

4 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Now how did this happen exactly? Friday night, a Metra train struck a vehicle in New Lenox. It sounded like a normal day for Metra until I saw the news reports and video. The pickup truck wasn't at a crossing, it had driven down a gravel access road, then up onto the railroad embankment. Just where did he think he was going? The ABC7 article says that a "good Samaritan saw what was about to happen and pulled the driver to safety with a speeding train just moments away". It couldn't have happened that fast, because if you saw the truck on the tracks, you would have to drive east to the crossing, then back west along the service road. Also, I don't know why the driver of the truck couldn't have simply opened the door himself and got out. I'm thinking he was impaired somehow, which might explain how he ended up there in the first place.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/good-samaritan-describes-saving-man-from-getting-hit-by-metra-train-in-new-lenox/1431214/

http://patch.com/illinois/newlenox/video-metra-hits-truck-new-lenox?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=police %26 fire&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-topstories

Aerial view of location. The truck was hit in the gravel area west of the overpass, on the north side of the tracks.new lenox.jpg

Like you said, I'm guessing he was drunk.

But then Metra said his truck was hit by a work train. Since those were standard Metra bilevels, it looks more like it was just a non-revenue train deadheading.

Once I was at Ogilvie & there was a train listed on the board as a "Manager's Special". It was an express to Crystal Lake. If I didn't have somewhere else to go, I seriously thought of taking it for the hell of an express ride to see how long it would take & if the train got up to the 79MPH speed limit.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

But then Metra said his truck was hit by a work train. Since those were standard Metra bilevels, it looks more like it was just a non-revenue train deadheading.

They called it an "equipment train", which is probably explained by the media's lack of understanding of transit terminology, sort of like how they get "operator" and "conductor" confused a lot.

The train shown in the video was the equipment from #421, which deadheads to Blue Island after its 7:23 PM arrival in Joliet. Typically it goes through New Lenox around 7:40.

I sent this question to Metra last week but didn't get a response. Are the special $20 passes for Lollapalooza valid on any train throughout the 4 days, including morning rush hour trains? I believe last year they could only be used after 9:30 AM, but I don't see any such restriction mentioned this year. I'm not going to Lollapalooza but I might buy the pass just because it's a good deal, unless there is some implicit rule that you must be going to/from Lolla to use it. 

18 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I sent this question to Metra last week but didn't get a response. Are the special $20 passes for Lollapalooza valid on any train throughout the 4 days, including morning rush hour trains? I believe last year they could only be used after 9:30 AM, but I don't see any such restriction mentioned this year. I'm not going to Lollapalooza but I might buy the pass just because it's a good deal, unless there is some implicit rule that you must be going to/from Lolla to use it. 

There is no way they can condition the ticket on going to Lolla unless the Lolla ticket is attached to the Metra one (sort of like the Metra ticket attached to the CTA 5 day pass while the Red Line is down). What you linked said unlimited rides, but whether there is any time of day limit isn't stated.

27 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There is no way they can condition the ticket on going to Lolla unless the Lolla ticket is attached to the Metra one (sort of like the Metra ticket attached to the CTA 5 day pass while the Red Line is down). What you linked said unlimited rides, but whether there is any time of day limit isn't stated.

Most likely there won't be any issue. If it's truly unlimited, I don't think any conductors could say the pass is invalid even if the circumstances suggest I'm not going to Lolla. For example, an inbound train at 5 AM or boarding an outbound somewhere outside of downtown. The "after 9:30" restriction last year was seemingly to keep people off morning rush trains. Lolla festivities don't start until noon anyway so maybe they don't care if relatively few people go downtown early.

41 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Got my ticket and it makes no mention of any time restrictions. It just looks like a slightly modified weekend pass.

The boilerplate wording on the back refers to a mandatory punch for a specific date. But there's no place for date to punch.

Doesn't Metra's ticket people know how to correctly print out a ticket that isn't screwed up.

It reminds me of some specific coupons that Dominick's had for the store on Damen Ave in West Ridge, that had wording that read the coupon was good only at that store & then in smaller print had the words, "Not valid in Texas"!