Random Metra

garmon757

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

I meant the opposite as a general proposition (i.e. will your email connect before you open your browser) but since that is irrelevant to this application and I don't know the technical details of it, I'll take a pass.

ohhh ok... no it won't latch you on to the system with out proper credentials and device security certificate. Even if you could get on to that wifi... its more than likely a closed... isolated network.

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

8 cars??? The most I've seen was 7 cars. 

1 hour ago, richii0909 said:

I thought it was was an 8 but perhaps you are correct.. As all cars where in use

Both are possible, as the manufacturer states on their website that they can run up to 8 cars in a train. But we all know that isn't always the case, especially when we see the cab end of a car facing the rear end of another car instead of another cab.

4 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Both are possible, as the manufacturer states on their website that they can run up to 8 cars in a train. But we all know that isn't always the case, especially when we see the cab end of a car facing the rear end of another car instead of another cab.

I thought it was previously discussed that it was a function of platform length, unless the conductor was going to announce that only the doors of some cars will open.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I thought it was previously discussed that it was a function of platform length, unless the conductor was going to announce that only the doors of some cars will open.

No idea, but it's easier to spot a single unit that way, unless they decided to have two units facing one way, like in this video at the 6:50 mark.

Not saying my way of spotting is foolproof, but it's an idea of how to spot an odd number of cars.

7 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

No idea, but it's easier to spot a single unit that way, unless they decided to have two units facing one way

It was easier with the old Highliners with the pantograph at the front over the cab, but I'm sure one could see something like AAB out there, instead of pantographs back to back. And, yes, that's what was captured at that point.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, richii0909 said:

Metra Alters ME schedule starting Nov 5.... some trains will start two - three minutes earlier or later. Weekend trains bumped as well. They claim it’s to clear up congestion.. Any thoughts on this? I just know since the schedule change on this line Ridership at certain stops have declined 

No, that just sounds like the same thing as Pace tweaking its schedules by a couple of minutes to improve on time statistics.

Note that these generally are to add running time to the trip, or on on occasion, to allow turning around the same equipment. Metra is not cutting running time due to fewer passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 6:49 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Car 6009 on the UP-NW Line is sporting clear windows. Very interesting...

90E7AD43-2549-4548-865E-45F70BA31ACF.thumb.jpeg.3a319b0a2c20e5249911292d89bd72cb.jpegF8F18EF0-9C8D-44B9-84DA-A3328DFA8E87.thumb.jpeg.2e3c0277e2b88fa94fc37bddae887561.jpeg94FF066C-A13E-41CC-A356-E7DD8CAAF7CC.thumb.jpeg.69d7cb73d8b05c0af6f8301088092c81.jpeg8FEE801E-AA16-4843-956C-51850719E903.thumb.jpeg.71f1e3c7fb43498d813a4c1ee8c96655.jpeg

What's  with the clear window movement?  Are they cheaper?  First Pace went away from the tinted windows and now Metra looks like they are going to follow suit.  

Not that I was the biggest fan of the Green tint (I prefer the gray tint on the South Shore trains and CTA buses and trains), but at least the Green tints helped battle the sun ray glare and tints help keep the cars cool in the summer.  

I haven't seen the clear windows pop up yet on UP÷W or BNSF, but it sounds like eventually all of the Metra cars will get them.

I can see ordering clear windows and using those to replace damaged tinted windows, but to replace all windows?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, busfan2847 said:

Rode in 6010 last night. Unlike earlier refurbished cars that had an electrical socket every second row, this one has a unit with an electrical socket and 2 USB sockets for each row.

Still had original seating however.

But bizarrely, the 120 V receptacles don't follow the National Electrical Code with either the ground or neutral slot [the wider slot] on top depending on the receptacle orientation.  Don't Metra electricians know the NEC?