Random Metra

garmon757

3 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

While obviously very bad, Metra probably didn't have to issue a statement.

I think they were afraid the incident would be bad PR, since the injured woman was a Metra passenger. They wanted to call attention to the fact that it wasn't Metra's fault, and that they agree the station needs repair.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

I think they were afraid the incident would be bad PR, since the injured woman was a Metra passenger. They wanted to call attention to the fact that it wasn't Metra's fault, and that they agree the station needs repair.

Yeah. I was going to elaborate more, but my phone was acting up while typing (I guess not all updates are great). But you basically said what I wanted to say.

So, Marty Oberman DEMANDED Amtrak do something. Great political photo op, since he is never around anyway.

Surprised Rahm didn't jump in and use it to beg for more $$$...but then he ain't around unless he can take credit for something.

And Amtrak being the good railroad they are, of course, are blaming someone else for their years of neglect. The

station is a catastrophe waiting all over the place and passengers should be given hardhats and flashlights when walking through.

4 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

So, Marty Oberman DEMANDED Amtrak do something. Great political photo op, since he is never around anyway.

I had so indicated above.

Just now, west towns said:

Atrak is saying its the building owners lack of maintenance

May ultimately be the case, but Metra has a nondelgable duty to exercise a high degree of care on behalf of its passengers. Someone on the platform is a passenger for this purpose.

4 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Surprised Rahm didn't jump in and use it to beg for more $$$...but then he ain't around unless he can take credit for something.

They just got the Transit TIF legislation (Union Station was included), so there are limits to the begging.

• 3 weeks later...

How anyone else notices that there are yet any signs of construction for the southbound platform at Ravenswood? They got the northbound finished but that's it. If their gonna be a while for that, they should install a ramp on the current southbound platform so the whole station is accessible on both sides for the time being.

7 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

How anyone else notices that there are yet any signs of construction for the southbound platform at Ravenswood? They got the northbound finished but that's it. If their gonna be a while for that, they should install a ramp on the current southbound platform so the whole station is accessible on both sides for the time being.

Metra has not done anything on the UP North rebuilding through North Center & Ravenswood for two years now. They even cut off the north end of the really long temporary platform at Ravenswood.

On top of that, they have to contend with my idiot alderman, Pat O'Connor trying to get an entirely new station built at Peterson & Ravenswood, that isn't needed, as the C&NW had a tiny station there called Kenmore until about 1960, that no one used. O'Connor wants it solely so his wife can make millions from all the land she has options on, nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Metra Alert - WVOM Temporarily Out of Service at 179th

The Wireless Voice of Metra at 179th will be out of service until 3 p.m. Attempted transmission of track change information may not be announced. Please visit metrarail.com for possible track change information and delay information. Metra is working to restore the communication system at 179th Updates will be posted.

Your attention please! The next inbound train will be arriving on track zero...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

This from the police blotter:

OAK FOREST - A man told police someone stole a Metra jacket, 400 cash fare tickets, a ticket punch and other items from his car... on Nov. 1, police said.

Next week we'll see that someone was arrested for impersonating a conductor.

Sounds like the plot of Rex Morgan M.D. starting about Nov. 2.

However, the impression I got was that Metra conductors only have receipts, unless they were weekly passes, in which case they would have been dated. I suppose that someone would become suspicious if 400 people boarded, already having weekend passes, unless they did so downtown.

13 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Sounds like the plot of Rex Morgan M.D. starting about Nov. 2.

However, the impression I got was that Metra conductors only have receipts, unless they were weekly passes, in which case they would have been dated. I suppose that someone would become suspicious if 400 people boarded, already having weekend passes, unless they did so downtown.

"Cash fare tickets" implies the punch card receipts.

I once saw a woman try to use one of those receipts as her ticket, which the conductor obviously said was invalid. She claimed someone sold it to her outside the station, saying it was a valid ticket he didn't need. After some debate, the conductor let her ride. Things may have gone differently if she brought 399 friends, though.

On 11/18/2016 at 8:35 PM, Pace831 said:

This from the police blotter:

OAK FOREST - A man told police someone stole a Metra jacket, 400 cash fare tickets, a ticket punch and other items from his car... on Nov. 1, police said.

Next week we'll see that someone was arrested for impersonating a conductor.

Found him...... make sure you have your tickets ready with him!!!! xD

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

UP-NW line not having a good week. First a pedestrian accident near Cary, and now a car hit in Mount Prospect...

A few hours before the incident in Cary, a freight train hit a pedestrian near Mt. Prospect which was affecting Metra. Definitely not a good week.

5 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Wow. I'm sure this is a week the train crews want to get over with.

I was going to say before that it seems like the UPNW has a disproportionate number of fatal accidents than the other lines. Recalling the Tribune from a few years ago, there's some truth to that. Now is @Busjack going to make a crack about Phil Pagano?

• Upvote 1