Random Metra

garmon757

They updated the end of line/terminal arrival announcement again, this time tacking on a sentence saying that the Ventra app is available for iPhone and Android. However they rerecorded the entire announcement and it's quieter so I had to look at the LED display in the car to see what the announcement was saying.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 6:07 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Currently sitting at Crystal Lake Station waiting for someone. Taking a few pictures as I take advantage of the free after 4 PM parking lot. :P Not the best pictures, but I caught a train with two locomotives. And check out that cloud of people waiting to cross the tracks.

Every line will have at least one set of double headers so that each outer point will have a spare engine in the yard in the morning for the rush hour if there is a problem. If there are 2 on the NW then one set will probably be in Crystal Lake and another in Harvard or McHenry or Barrington.

3 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Every line will have at least one set of double headers so that each outer point will have a spare engine in the yard in the morning for the rush hour if there is a problem. If there are 2 on the NW then one set will probably be in Crystal Lake and another in Harvard or McHenry or Barrington.

That does not happen on UP-N anymore. The only regular double header is an out and back in the afternoon:-

3:45PM Chicago to Harvard 5:24PM - #625

5:35PM Harvard to Chicago 7:23PM - #658

There are no spare engines overnight at Crystal Lake, Harvard, Barrington or McHenry

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pace831 said:

image.thumb.jpg.361496f099facf77321df0d9Happy new year from Metra. The image shows how those extra late night trains might appear after a night of partying, so we can infer who they're marketing the $8 tickets to. Also, a heck of a "delay" on the Electric District, thanks to modern technology.

A nearly 7 1/2 hour delay???? How the hell thats possible???? That's like someone dealing with a standoff......

• Metra page with the modified schedule basically indicates that the addition is  a 1:30 a.m. train. The $8 ticket page indicates that the real benefit is that they are good Thurs. and Fri. as well as usually on Sat. and Sun.
  • That delay will sure put a crimp in their on time statistics. However, it probably can be attributed to Metra's 1890 abacus computer.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:
  • Metra page with the modified schedule basically indicates that the addition is  a 1:30 a.m. train. The $8 ticket page indicates that the real benefit is that they are good Thurs. and Fri. as well as usually on Sat. and Sun.
  • That delay will sure put a crimp in their on time statistics. However, it probably can be attributed to Metra's 1890 abacus computer.

I was referencing the first sentence of the ticket page: If you’re celebrating New Year’s Eve at the inaugural Chi-Town Rising, or heading to Navy Pier for their fireworks show, let Metra be your designated driver. The special passes are a good deal though because today is one of a few days a year that one can ride with an $8 pass on a (modified) weekday schedule. There are separate passes for Thurs-Fri and Sat-Sun.

6 hours ago, garmon757 said:

A nearly 7 1/2 hour delay???? How the hell thats possible???? That's like someone dealing with a standoff......

Explanation is in this thread.

11 hours ago, garmon757 said:

When I first saw "442 minutes" I was like WOAH. Also, you would think that if that train was delayed that bad, other trains on the line would be delayed as well...

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ticket for zones B-F that expires soon and probably won't use. Are conductors allowed to accept that ticket for other trips with the same number of zones, such as A-E or D-H, since the ticket price is the same. Of course I will explain this before the ticket is punched. My reason for asking is the $3 surcharge I'd have to pay if the answer to this is "no".

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I have a ticket for zones B-F that expires soon and probably won't use. Are conductors allowed to accept that ticket for other trips with the same number of zones, such as A-E or D-H, since the ticket price is the same. Of course I will explain this before the ticket is punched. My reason for asking is the $3 surcharge I'd have to pay if the answer to this is "no".

I don't have the direct answer, but the main issue is notifying the conductor so you aren't charged for running into a zone not covered by the ticket.

16 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I don't know the answer to your question,  but it raises another question.   What are the fare increments between each zone?   If it is an exact and consistent increase,  then I would see no problem.   If there are varying degrees between any two zones,  it could present a problem.   However I am inclined to think that the conductor wouldn't care much.   Trainman would probably know best. 

Since you said the ticket prices are the same,  I suppose it would be no issue as long as you notify the conductor. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know the answer to your question,  but it raises another question.   What are the fare increments between each zone?   If it is an exact and consistent increase,  then I would see no problem.   If there are varying degrees between any two zones,  it could present a problem.

That can be verified in the timetable, and changes in two weeks.

While the intervals vary between zones, if you go diagonally on the table below, the first zone is always $3.25, two zones are $3.50, 3 zones are $4.75 regardless of the letters of the zones. Thus a trip within Zone E (Northbrook to Deerfield) is still $3.25.metra.thumb.jpg.d7a42e180a7f57ef21010a24

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know the answer to your question,  but it raises another question.   What are the fare increments between each zone?   If it is an exact and consistent increase,  then I would see no problem.   If there are varying degrees between any two zones,  it could present a problem.   However I am inclined to think that the conductor wouldn't care much.   Trainman would probably know best. 

Since you said the ticket prices are the same,  I suppose it would be no issue as long as you notify the conductor. 

I sent an email to Metra last night and just received a response. For riding beyond the zone limits of the ticket, I would have to pay the incremental fare. Metra website says it is $1.00 for the first zone and $.50 for each subsequent zone, but the email said $1.00 per zone. So if I used my B-F ticket for a D-H trip, I'd still have to pay $1.50 even though I didn't ride through zones B or C. I bet some conductors would let it slide though.

30 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I sent an email to Metra last night and just received a response. For riding beyond the zone limits of the ticket, I would have to pay the incremental fare.

Sort of what I figured above. The only question is whether you can exchange the ticket with a ticket agent, or seek a refund.