Random Metra

garmon757

I've known occasions when (stations being closed) the conductors would give half fares to seniors from out of town who technically didn't qualify, because they didn't have RTA cards.Maybe times are now rougher.

However, I am not quite following your post. If she had a reduced fare card as being disabled, that should have been sufficient identification. Maybe you are referring to having a half fare ticket but not the RTA card.

I don't know if she had an RTA card or not. She had a reduced-fare 10-ride or monthly (not sure which) and they wouldn't let her use it because she didn't have a photo ID. The conductor didn't seem to realize that it literally doesn't matter, as the fare had already been paid for, and he was just causing the whole train and everybody on it to become late by caring.

I don't know if she had an RTA card or not. She had a reduced-fare 10-ride or monthly (not sure which) and they wouldn't let her use it because she didn't have a photo ID. The conductor didn't seem to realize that it literally doesn't matter, as the fare had already been paid for, and he was just causing the whole train and everybody on it to become late by caring.

Actually, technically, it does matter. The rule states clearly (any) reduced fare must be accompanied by applicable ID, be it RTA reduced, student ID, whatever. You will find when it comes to fare enforcement, the UP and the BN crews are very strict. They will charge the additional $3 religiously, no exceptions. It does not surprise me that they would not accept a reduced 10 ride without the ID.

That said, the Metra owned lines are basically all or nothing (I fall into the nothing category, these days). There are many (what are referred to) Ticket Nazi's out there, who will charge the $3, no exceptions (even by going out of their way to call and see if a machine is oos), demand ID's even though some things are blatantly obvious and chase down every a-hole who is trying to hide out in the john or running through to other cars to avoid paying. Personally, with all the freebies Metra gives out (I consider weekend tickets freebies. Also $5 special event or the soon to be $10 Lollapalooza ticket. These are added revenue in neon, these people would pay whether there is a discount or a surcharge...they don't care), I have no problem giving someone a break. I don't look at everyone as a cheat (and some of those are obvious). I figure if someone has a discount 10 ride, they had to show ID to get it at the ticket counter, so what do I care if they have it on the train. The negative of that is what is stopping someone from getting a reduced using an ID and then give the ticket to someone else who would not be eligible.

And to complicate it one step further, Metra NEVER backs it's employees. If someone whines about something, they are always in the right, whether someone is enforcing policy or not. The prevailing attitude, right or wrong, is "why bother". Conversely, the contract carriers do back their employees. So, when someone does something, such as a surcharge, and someone else whines, they back their people.

Long rant, but I hope that clears it up a little.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why Metra, CTA & Pace don't operate like the trains & buses in Los Angeles do.

LA Metrolink trains & LA RTD buses & subway trains take any city's reduced fare IDs. Even the Flyaway Bus from LAX to several different locations takes all reduced fare IDs & Medicare cards. It''s run by LA Airports.

I don't know why Metra, CTA & Pace don't operate like the trains & buses in Los Angeles do.

LA Metrolink trains & LA RTD buses & subway trains take any city's reduced fare IDs. Even the Flyaway Bus from LAX to several different locations takes all reduced fare IDs & Medicare cards. It''s run by LA Airports.

Again, I'm not sure to what you are referring. All 3 service boards take the RTA card.

If you are asking whether any of the 3 service boards will take an LA card, CTA and Pace won't, at least for a Ventra fare. I suppose one can pay a cash fare on the bus and show an RTA card, but the CTA site only refers to using the RTA card.

Some of this also goes back to when Blago amended the 2008 RTA Act to give seniors free rides, which was limited to residents of the transit district at issue. While the free rides were subsequently limited to those on the Circuit Breaker program (now Illinois Department on Aging’s Benefit Access Program), RTA is still responsible for determining whether a senior or disabled passenger is entitled to a free or reduced fare card. But while everyone with a Medicare card is entitled to some form of an RTA card, apparently you can't ride at half fare on a Medicare card.

Again, I'm not sure to what you are referring. All 3 service boards take the RTA card.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

LA let's you ride for half fare if you have a senior or disabled card from any US city. Why doesn't the RTA here reciprocate? I don't care what Blago did or didn't. Seniors & the disabled were riding for half fare before Blago & still are.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

LA let's you ride for half fare if you have a senior or disabled card from any US city. Why doesn't the RTA here reciprocate? I don't care what Blago did or didn't. Seniors & the disabled were riding for half fare before Blago & still are.

While you explained what you meant, my prior post indicates why.

Oh get a load of this there is a rail-fan that i've seen at the  Wilmette Metra station, while a inbound train was leaving he was shouting ,"highball,highball,highball," then as the rear of the train was passing he put up what looked like a piece sign. I asked him what he was doing and he said he letting the engineer know the marker lights were on.  So is two fingers held up with knuckles facing outward  a hand signal for marker light on or is he just making something up?  By the way he thinks that CTA buses on the Evanston routes sometimes go into PACES North Shore Garage (why that is I have no idea),there is a joint CTA/PACE garage in Rosemont (this does not exist,) And that the CTA has a bus garage at Howard. Bus terminals and Bus garages are NOT the same thing.  Let me know what you think, Thanks   

Oh get a load of this there is a rail-fan that i've seen at the  Wilmette Metra station, while a inbound train was leaving he was shouting ,"highball,highball,highball," then as the rear of the train was passing he put up what looked like a piece sign. I asked him what he was doing and he said he letting the engineer know the marker lights were on.  So is two fingers held up with knuckles facing outward  a hand signal for marker light on or is he just making something up?  By the way he thinks that CTA buses on the Evanston routes sometimes go into PACES North Shore Garage (why that is I have no idea),there is a joint CTA/PACE garage in Rosemont (this does not exist,) And that the CTA has a bus garage at Howard. Bus terminals and Bus garages are NOT the same thing.  Let me know what you think, Thanks   

I've been told that there are FRA requirements that the lights be on. Otherwise, another example that this state does not take care of the citizens' mental health needs.

Also, it was my impression that Metra quit selling highballs. Highball has a railroad meaning, but not what was expressed. Dictionary definition encompassing both.

• 2 weeks later...

In the converse of the taser controversy, but on the same Metra line, a Daily Herald story that someone was arrested for headbutting a Metra conductor.

From the mug shot, it looks like the suspect did not fare so well in the headbutting, and sw's friend Vinnie Mac isn't going to recruit him.

Also, considering the quote from the Du Page County state's attorney, I wonder if the gravity of the crime would have been any different if the conductor decided to collect the fare in Franklin Park (within the Cook County line).

• 2 weeks later...

I was just riding the metra Electric District and it looks like now more ex C&NW coaches are coming back from MARC.

Can you get pictures? Or describe them? I pass the yard every day and I see nothing in that dark green and mustard yellow livery at all? Only passenger cars MARC has that might be from Metra are the 12 Pullman's 7900-7911, and 8 of those are retired. 

Can you get pictures? Or describe them? I pass the yard every day and I see nothing in that dark green and mustard yellow livery at all? Only passenger cars MARC has that might be from Metra are the 12 Pullman's 7900-7911, and 8 of those are retired. 

I just passed the yard again.   It is car 7911.  It's painted just like a rehabbed car except where the metra logo- the logo for MARC appears. 

I just passed the yard again.   It is car 7911.  It's painted just like a rehabbed car except where the metra logo- the logo for MARC appears. 

Hmm. I guess that's one of the 8 that were retired so far. I'm still wondering about the other 4, since all of the multi-levels MARC aquired are in service except the cab cars (and I don't know why). I was under the impression 7900-7911 was bought from Metra and not leased/loaned. Any info on any sort of contract that gets them back to Chicago upon being retired? Also, if you can spot anymore cars and their numbers, can you pass them my way, the pullmans aren't visible from the main tracks? TIA

Hmm. I guess that's one of the 8 that were retired so far. I'm still wondering about the other 4, since all of the multi-levels MARC aquired are in service except the cab cars (and I don't know why). I was under the impression 7900-7911 was bought from Metra and not leased/loaned. Any info on any sort of contract that gets them back to Chicago upon being retired? Also, if you can spot anymore cars and their numbers, can you pass them my way, the pullmans aren't visible from the main tracks? TIA

Just spotted a few more MARC cars including 7905 plus a few more.   These are sitting near the 127th Street yard on the Rock Island Line. 

Just spotted a few more MARC cars including 7905 plus a few more.   These are sitting near the 127th Street yard on the Rock Island Line. 

Hmm. I'm wondering why they were being returned. I should have seen something like this coming, they moved the Pullman's from the Middle River facility by Martin State Airport on the Penn Line about a few months ago to a yard on the Brunswick Line (most likely Harpers Ferry) and the Pullmans were restricted to the Brunswick Line, since almost all of those platforms were low level, so I'm not sure what they were doing over on the Penn. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too complicated to work out a deal that CSX, NS or Capitol Limited take a few of them back to Chicago, since the Brunswick Line travels over the first portion of the route to DC to Chicago. Thanks though

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I'm wondering why they were being returned. I should have seen something like this coming, they moved the Pullman's from the Middle River facility by Martin State Airport on the Penn Line about a few months ago to a yard on the Brunswick Line (most likely Harpers Ferry) and the Pullmans were restricted to the Brunswick Line, since almost all of those platforms were low level, so I'm not sure what they were doing over on the Penn. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too complicated to work out a deal that CSX, NS or Capitol Limited take a few of them back to Chicago, since the Brunswick Line travels over the first portion of the route to DC to Chicago. Thanks though

Months ago there was mention that MARC was going to sell the ex-Metra cars back to Metra when they got their new ones. Now what is strange is that all the old CNW's are running on ex-CNW routes. There is no practical reason for this, as otherwise ex MILW cars are on the ex CNW routes, and in fact except for the ex CBQ cars that stay on Aurora and Southwest cars are freely mixed on all routes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of approx. 1700cst, service has been restored to the BNSF line, but passengers are advised to expect extensive delays.  UP/W customers can also expect minor delays as well, due to the influx of BNSF refugees after the line was initially shut down.  

May as well throw the regular schedule out the window tonight for BNSF, delays should last well into the evening...

Violent catfight with a Metra conductor.

Unfortunate.  And there's such great and wonderful insights in the comments section of the article (/s).    Free speech for the dumb...

(btw - According to the article, it seems James Brown has been reincarnated as a judge...  LOL)

Edited by metx161
The Godfather is back!

As of approx. 1700cst, service has been restored to the BNSF line, but passengers are advised to expect extensive delays.  UP/W customers can also expect minor delays as well, due to the influx of BNSF refugees after the line was initially shut down.  

May as well throw the regular schedule out the window tonight for BNSF, delays should last well into the evening...

There were "multiple plastic bags of an unknown liquid" on the tracks. They could not identify the contents but determined they were not dangerous. My guess is some idiot put them there thinking it would be cool to see a train hit them, and not knowing what a mess it would create.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/metra-bnsf-trains-moving-again-after-brookfield-hazmat-situation/1029427/

There were "multiple plastic bags of an unknown liquid" on the tracks. They could not identify the contents but determined they were not dangerous. My guess is some idiot put them there thinking it would be cool to see a train hit them, and not knowing what a mess it would create.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/metra-bnsf-trains-moving-again-after-brookfield-hazmat-situation/1029427/

Turns out the substance was some kind of lubricant. Now it sounds like it fell off a truck, not placed there intentionally.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-brookfield-hazmat-update-met-1014-20151013-story.html