New Flyer Trolley Bus Testing Practices

Where was that?

Most likely Seattle. They have both trolleybuses and that livery (if it's King County Metro).

I'm not surprised by this picture though. Their trolleybus fleet is a bunch of high-floor old-looking Breda and Gillig trolleybuses. From what I saw, it wasn't a matter of if they get new trolleybuses, it was a matter of when.

Hope this helps! :)

Our two buses are just sitting around at Kedzie Garage as far as I know... we got them I believe last month sometime, but have yet to receive and/or build the charging stations, so they're pretty much 1.1m paperweights right now. No word on any press release(which there will have to be one before they start service) or any testing even...

Our two buses are just sitting around at Kedzie Garage as far as I know... we got them I believe last month sometime, but have yet to receive and/or build the charging stations, so they're pretty much 1.1m paperweights right now. No word on any press release(which there will have to be one before they start service) or any testing even...

They aren't even trolley buses.

I bet you weren't around when the north side actually had trolley buses.

I was & I wish we still had them. They were quiet & had better suspensions than the current buses. When a current bus, especially an artic hits a bump, the entire bus shudders.

Only the old Motor Coach Co. buses had a smoother ride, along with the buses the CTA bought for the Keeler garage, which were the last buses that didn't jar you to death.

No I wasn't. But they are the next generation of trolley buses.... trolley-less electric buses, if you will. Internet has gone wireless, TV's have gone plasma.... transit buses will one day have a 100% all-electric w/ no trolley wires bus option.

• Upvote 2

No I wasn't. But they are the next generation of trolley buses.... trolley-less electric buses, if you will. Internet has gone wireless, TV's have gone plasma.... transit buses will one day have a 100% all-electric w/ no trolley wires bus option.

Not really as the definition of a trolley is what contacts the wire. The most particular definition of a trolley is a trolley wheel, although there are also references to trolley shoes.

The Bredas mentioned had some dual mode operation, and some SF trolley buses had batteries for short deviations from the route, but a battery bus has to run independently of the wire. Some streetcar books show a New York battery streetcar, but it wasn't horribly successful, according to that source.

Note that whoever is buying the bus being tested didn't buy a battery bus, and it has trolley poles (to which the generator is connected).

Not really as the definition of a trolley is what contacts the wire. The most particular definition of a trolley is a trolley wheel, although there are also references to trolley shoes.

The Bredas mentioned had some dual mode operation, and some SF trolley buses had batteries for short deviations from the route, but a battery bus has to run independently of the wire. Some streetcar books show a New York battery streetcar, but it wasn't horribly successful, according to that source.

Note that whoever is buying the bus being tested didn't buy a battery bus, and it has trolley poles (to which the generator is connected).

The ETB's in Philadelphia have a Cummins ISQ engine to enable buses to operate off wire in case of a detour (though, from past experiences and observations, they've run off wire for yard movements as well).

Not anytime soon with big oil still holding a lot of political power and influence in this country and the rest of the world. You can't even get elected to Congress in some states if you lean too far toward solutions that exclude fuels made from crude oil, an all electric bus falling in that category of such a solution.

Not anytime soon with big oil still holding a lot of political power and influence in this country and the rest of the world. You can't even get elected to Congress in some states if you lean too far toward solutions that exclude fuels made from crude oil, an all electric bus falling in that category of such a solution.

I don't think that's horribly relevant. What might be relevant is if Elon Mosk can get somebody to invent a battery that stores the equivalent of a 125 gallon diesel fuel tank.

I don't think that the oil companies have much skin in electric power used to power trolley wires used to send electricity to trolley buses.

Also, transit authorities don't seem to be under the thumb of the Roger Rabbit GM/Firestone/Standard Oil/National City Lines conspiracy, which, btw, wasn't the reason why CTA dropped both trolley cars and trolley buses.

I don't think that's horribly relevant. What might be relevant is if Elon Mosk can get somebody to invent a battery that stores the equivalent of a 125 gallon diesel fuel tank.

I don't think that the oil companies have much skin in electric power used to power trolley wires used to send electricity to trolley buses.

Also, transit authorities don't seem to be under the thumb of the Roger Rabbit GM/Firestone/Standard Oil/National City Lines conspiracy, which, btw, wasn't the reason why CTA dropped both trolley cars and trolley buses.

You still cannot deny that the oil companies do hold enough influence currently to make sure diesel is still used in some capacity when the manufacturers build a bus,

You still cannot deny that the oil companies do hold enough influence currently to make sure diesel is still used in some capacity when the manufacturers build a bus,

I don't know that, in that all the solicitations say what the transit authorities want. While I am sure that they can only solicit what is available, I don't think that Conoco-Phillps is telling New Flyer not to build hybrids or trolley buses for King County. Besides that, BP claims to be involved in solar energy, besides dumping its crud in South Chicago.

Instead, it looks like $2.5 million in government grants were necessary to get 2 battery buses for Chicago, which New Flyer willingly built, but aren't on the street yet.

New York had a whole bunch of battery streetcars in the 1920's. they were used on some minimal routes in the south end of Manhattan that were too minimal to justify installing the underground conduit that Manhattan had instead of trolley wire. All the lines were gone by the late 1920s, mostly replaced by city-operated early buses. They were good enough on routes that were only a few miles long round-trip, but not for any long-distance running. Chicago's single biggest attempt at battery streetcars was the original Vincennes-111th carline in the 1890's, operated by the Chicago & Interurban Traction from 63rd via Halsted-Vincennes-Monterrey-111th to Sacramento and via Vincennes-127th-Western to Blue Island and Harvey. Lasted maybe 10 years before getting conventional streetcars.

I don't know that, in that all the solicitations say what the transit authorities want. While I am sure that they can only solicit what is available, I don't think that Conoco-Phillps is telling New Flyer not to build hybrids or trolley buses for King County. Besides that, BP claims to be involved in solar energy, besides dumping its crud in South Chicago.

Instead, it looks like $2.5 million in government grants were necessary to get 2 battery buses for Chicago, which New Flyer willingly built, but aren't on the street yet.

I'm not denying that the cost issue isn't a large part of the equation. I'm just saying the energy sources that TA has access to plays a part of it too.

Seoul, South Korea has fully electric battery buses on a small scale operation. They're called "Peanut Buses" due to their shape. Never before have I called a bus "cute". Image

• Upvote 1