garmon757

garmon757

The independent contractor part puts you in the hole. The only thing I can suggest is don't take advice from here, but call up one of the personal injury lawyers that is all over the TV and bus wraps. As they say, they don't cost unless they recover something.

If you don't trust TV, you can go to lawyers.com or findlaw.com, each based on a leading publisher's legal directory.

Yeah, dealing with situations like this is tricky when it comes to being an independent contractor and I don't think it wouldn't make any difference if this happened while I was at work.

Makes sense. Also, can you use any bike for your job, or do you have to use a company bike? I have a smallish bike sitting around in Woodstock. It just needs some air and a switch fixed, and it should be fine.

We have to have our own bike. I can't ride any bike though because of my height and I prefer road bike because of my experience riding them.

First and foremost. Glad to hear you came out the accident relatively OK Garmon. Better your bike to have been permanently destroyed than you since unlike your bike, you can't be replaced. The good news is your kids still have your dad and we still get the benefits of what you bring to the forum. It sucks that this effects your income until you can get your bike replaced though. While Busjack raises some good points about whether the taxi driver can be to be held culpable. His not getting out the cab to see if you were injured and just driving off doesn't look good. Isn't that a leaving the scene of an accident/hit and run situation at least?

• Upvote 2

First and foremost. Glad to hear you came out the accident relatively OK Garmon. Better your bike to have been permanently destroyed than you since unlike your bike, you can't be replaced. The good news is your kids still have your dad and we still get the benefits of what you bring to the forum. It sucks that this effects your income until you can get your bike replaced though. While Busjack raises some good points about whether the taxi driver can be to be held culpable. His not getting out the cab to see if you were injured and just driving off doesn't look good. Isn't that a leaving the scene of an accident/hit and run situation at least?

Would be relevant only if the police wanted to press charges; was not a cause of the accident.

Both of you are right indeed. Thanks jajuan. The driver decided to get out the taxi after the passenger helped me getting up. The driver said that he was going to pull over to figure out how can we settle this if the police had to be involved but that didn't happened because of him lying to me by driving off. I did file a police report after I left the hospital (I can't believe they didn't show up after the nurse called them) and he told me that I have to settle this in civil court.

Would be relevant only if the police wanted to press charges; was not a cause of the accident.

No I know it wasn't a cause of the accident. But he still drove off without an exchange of insurance info from what I understood of Garmon's explanation of what happened which is why I asked if it could still be considered leaving the scene in a legal sense.

Both of you are right indeed. Thanks jajuan. The driver decided to get out the taxi after the passenger helped me getting up. The driver said that he was going to pull over to figure out how can we settle this if the police had to be involved but that didn't happened because of him lying to me by driving off. I did file a police report after I left the hospital (I can't believe they didn't show up after the nurse called them) and he told me that I have to settle this in civil court.

You're welcome my friend. Just glad you're okay and didn't get hurt too badly.

No I know it wasn't a cause of the accident. But he still drove off without an exchange of insurance info from what I understood of Garmon's explanation of what happened which is why I asked if it could still be considered leaving the scene in a legal sense.

You're welcome my friend. Just glad you're okay and didn't get hurt too badly.

Of less import here, since the cab company has to have insurance, and more than likely it was a yellow, green, orange, or maroon cab (there are a few independents out there, but not many).

But as Kevin and I pointed out, one has to consult an attorney to find out how to deal with this.

Damn no charges were filed? Not even a ticket? What a joke!! But it sounds right, i've called the police a few times and their response was basically figure it out yourself or some nonsense that doesn't make sense. The cab driver was supposed to curb his vehicle not let people out in the middle of the street.

• Upvote 2

Best of luck in getting some restitution after what happened. I hope it's not all for naught, however... a couple of things concern me...

I think even Busjack would agree with some of what I've mentioned above.

No. As I pointed out several times before, he should get competent legal advice, and not from here.

And it appears that he is doing that. I'm not going to second guess FK.

• Upvote 2

Scratch what I said above, and apologies to garmon if he read it before I deleted it...

I am an independent contractor for GrubHub. I do have the cab number and the name of the company. I consider the driver very responsible because of the fact that he left the scene. That's a no no in my opinion. BusHunter, you're silly but kudos for handling all that like a man! :lol: The bottom line is it's not fair for anybody to suffer with or without injuries and I'm out of my job for God knows how long.

I read this in a hurry and thought it said "I don't have the cab....etc...." But since he has all that, I think he now has a decent shot....

Go get 'em, garmon!!!!

• Upvote 3

This part is what I'm talking about: Link

Collect evidence to prove each element of the tort. Any evidence that you can gather that proves each element of your cause of action will help you win your case. Evidence may include documents, photographs, or testimony from witnesses.

But, I'll defer to the experts....

The lawyer is going to know better how to use private investigators and the discovery rules than some anonymous writer of some wiki.

I had come to some preliminary conclusions of the merits of this case, but then realized what the proper response is, and now I am sticking to it.

Also, rereading the thread, apparently Garmon has more information (such as the cab number) than the others are crediting him with (as you just edited, as I hit post).

• Upvote 1

Effective immediately: Under the circumstances of this case, I will not discuss anything that was discussed between me and my attorney until the case has been concluded. I don't know for how long (depending on the taxi company cooperating with this case) but I have a feeling that it may be a while. Thank you all for the input and support but now it's time to move forward in life.

• 4 weeks later...

My new bike and basket!

Nice to see you will be able to return to work soon if you haven't already. Also good move on not speaking on the court case until you reach a resolution. Along those lines, all I'll say further on that for the time being is I wish you luck in reaching an equitable solution since it seems you got yourself good legal representation in the matter.

• Upvote 1