garmon757

garmon757

8 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I'd tell you to shop at the Walmart out here, but it would take more time to get out here and shop than to finish up at the store you were at. Or maybe not. :P

Man, these south side Walmarts would make someone go on a Hulk rampage! xD

4 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Man, these south side Walmarts would make someone go on a Hulk rampage! xD

I think the further you are from Chicago, the nicer the Walmarts get. Age also plays a role. When I was a kid, we went to the Forest Park one since it was the closest one to Oak Park. It wasn't pretty, and it looked pretty run down too. This was back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I took a Walmart hiatus and shopped at Target and Best Buy instead. :P I went back in 2014 or 2015 because I had to buy a tool to fix a model plane I have. They added a nicer food section later on, but it still needs some work. The ones in Woodstock and Huntley are really nice. Very clean and modern looking. They still need more cashiers, but the buildings are much nicer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I think the further you are from Chicago, the nicer the Walmarts get. Age also plays a role. When I was a kid, we went to the Forest Park one since it was the closest one to Oak Park. It wasn't pretty, and it looked pretty run down too. This was back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I took a Walmart hiatus and shopped at Target and Best Buy instead. :P I went back in 2014 or 2015 because I had to buy a tool to fix a model plane I have. They added a nicer food section later on, but it still needs some work. The ones in Woodstock and Huntley are really nice. Very clean and modern looking. They still need more cashiers, but the buildings are much nicer.

Say no more! My God, I really hated that Walmart in Forest Park. Growing up in Bellwood when I was a teenager, my mother would go to the ones in Northlake and Hodgkins. 

• Upvote 1

One thing the public doesn't  hear is that these suspects are gunning for you many are far more brazen than they  used to be. Its like being in war the other side doesn't care if you live or die they just care about winning. The news media plays into that when you only show the response of course it looks one sided. 

This is the one job for me thats not worth the money. The price you give might be your life. Plus i wouldn't want to work a job where everyone hates me. I might as well walk the streets of kuwait. Plus you have to deal with taking someones life in certain circumstances. This is alot to digest. Its no wonder police have psychologists. The job is not as easy as you think.

29 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

And at a lot of places on the south side,  west side,  south suburbs.   I do walmart in Villa Park or Costco in Oakbrook. 

I don't know how Walmart went downhill from where it was. Pharmacy in Wheeling told someone I know "we have to look to see if we have it. ... We do. It'll take 1-1/2 hours." One at Mil-Golf was the same script, only better; only 45 minutes, Ir's not like they are compounding it themselves. This was for someone else. I figure I got insurance, I go to Walgreen's.

Its groceries aren't any cheaper, either. I guess once it forced the Jewel out of Four Flaggs, that was that. I never believed the ad with a white woman from Hoffman Estates shopping among other white people at the Walmart on 83rd.

40 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I don't know how Walmart went downhill from where it was. Pharmacy in Wheeling told someone I know "we have to look to see if we have it. ... We do. It'll take 1-1/2 hours." One at Mil-Golf was the same script, only better; only 45 minutes, Ir's not like they are compounding it themselves. This was for someone else. I figure I got insurance, I go to Walgreen's.

Its groceries aren't any cheaper, either. I guess once it forced the Jewel out of Four Flaggs, that was that. I never believed the ad with a white woman from Hoffman Estates shopping among other white people at the Walmart on 83rd.

Going downhill? True, but surprisingly Sam's Club has really improved throughout the last 15 years. I must say that I'll be damned if I ever see a Sam's Club by 83rd St Walmart. 

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Be on a lookout for buses #8309-22. I'm sorry for the late update but working two jobs, dealing with bs with one of the two (pm me or go to my garmon757 thread for more info about it), finding another apartment, and getting my kids prepared for school have been taking up a toll as of lately. 

There are undoubtedly priorities other than winning Mr. McMahon's contest and getting a knee lift where you won't be able to ride your bike. Anyway, other than 7900 and 8252, they all look about alike.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

There are undoubtedly priorities other than winning Mr. McMahon's contest and getting a knee lift where you won't be able to ride your bike. Anyway, other than 7900 and 8252, they all look about alike.

I had to put my bike on the shelf because I have a car now. Working for GrubHub is now becoming an emotional toll road thanks to their bs. I finally became a Lyft driver two weeks ago and so far it's been very good, especially with great people that I've picked up. Yeah, you're right about them but I've noticed that 8300s have a different bike rack similar to Pace's.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

I had to put my bike on the shelf because I have a car now. Working for GrubHub is now becoming an emotional toll road thanks to their bs. I finally became a Lyft driver two weeks ago and so far it's been very good, especially with great people that I've picked up. Yeah, you're right about them but I've noticed that 8300s have a different bike rack similar to Pace's.

What happened with GH?  Feels a bit more bearable now that we can actually see if our trip is work anything tbh

• 1 year later...

It’s been quite a while since the last time I chatted here. A few updates about me:

1. The bike incident I’ve mentioned back in 2014 will begin trial in late April 2018. 

2. I’ve decided to give CTA a shot by applying and completing the test for the Customer Service Assistant (CSA) position. My goal is to work up the latter CSA-Flagman-Rail Operator or CSA-Bus Operator-Supervisor. 

I’ll let you all know whether or not I’m considered for the position in the future. 

2 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

1. The bike incident I’ve mentioned back in 2014 will begin trial in late April 2018. 

If it has passed a motion to dismiss and is still around 4 years later, there must be something to it.

3 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

2. I’ve decided to give CTA a shot by applying and completing the test for the Customer Service Assistant (CSA) position. My goal is to work up the latter CSA-Flagman-Rail Operator or CSA-Bus Operator-Supervisor. 

If you feel free to disclose your personal business, what happened to police academy?

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

If it has passed a motion to dismiss and is still around 4 years later, there must be something to it.

If you feel free to disclose your personal business, what happened to police academy?

That’s what I thought because this could’ve been dismissed 2 years ago. I went to a deposition last year. That pretty much opened the doors in regard of the upcoming trial. In regard of the Police test, I failed the sit up test by one stinking rep. I had a chance to retake it but I’ve decided not to pursue it again. 

6 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

In regard of the Police test, I failed the sit up test by one stinking rep. I had a chance to retake it but I’ve decided not to pursue it again. 

I would have thought that the bike messenger job would have kept you in shape, and I don't recall police work requiring sit ups (except if they have to get out of the car at a Dunkin Donuts.). Weren't you able to prove that you can lift a 25 lb or so person over your head?xD

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I would have thought that the bike messenger job would have kept you in shape, and I don't recall police work requiring sit ups (except if they have to get out of the car at a Dunkin Donuts.). Weren't you able to prove that you can lift a 25 lb or so person over your head?xD

Lol I didn’t get a chance to do weight lifting because the sit up part was the second part of the test. I haven’t been doing anything on a bike since last year because someone stole it while it was locked on North and Wells. 

Good morning Stanley.....I noticed your NEW photo....seems like you are arranging for two youngsters to become more interested in becoming CTA operators in future years. They looked like they are having fun....good job. I can say I enjoyed our conversations yesterday 09/30 about transit and experiences with the chitransit forum. And this comment in no way voids my promise not to report on rail system doings as I wrote to you in "RIP Chicagopcclcar in chitransit". I'll let you know when the next charter happens, and it might be real soon.

David Harrison 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:51 AM, garmon757 said:

It’s been quite a while since the last time I chatted here. A few updates about me:

I’ll let you all know whether or not I’m considered for the position in the future. 

Good luck to you on both things. Hopefully CTA will consider you. For anyone out there without a college degree, one of the best things you can do for yourself is get a CDL. You can earn a couple hundred more a week for starters and if you shop around can earn more than that. I was talking with someone today who was offered $32/hr starting pay, but average is around $20/hr. I've researched it thoroughly and you can either go to a school and pay $3k or just try and get the permit yourself. It's not that hard. The school can get you a license and job placement as there are literally tons of CDL driving jobs out there. It only takes 6 weeks from walking in the door to a new job. Whether you want to drive a bus or truck it's up to you, but class B's can drive buses and things like garbage trucks. Class A's are the big rigs. General Knowledge you can pass easily. Air Brakes takes a little studying, but there are places that hire without air brakes endorsements. Driving a bus will require a Passenger endorsement. For the real Kudagras though getting yourself a hazmat endorsement ensures you make that $30/hr. 

As far as CTA hiring you, CTA to me seems a little finicky about who they hire, but if you know people it will help you get the job. It's much easier moving up in rank than it is getting hired in the first place because they know you and have a work history on you/file. I know people at CTA that have done what you illustrate but it takes time. Some jobs require previous CTA experience. I find myself that Trainman was right about Pace they will hire you faster than CTA and the wage is competitive $21.74/hr starting I believe. Bottom line is do something nice for yourself, you deserve it and you can really conquer life if you make good money and you'll be thanking yourself!! :)

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I've researched it thoroughly and you can either go to a school and pay $3k or just try and get the permit yourself. It's not that hard.

Sure, you could pass the permit test on your own, but you'll still need a vehicle to get the license. The permit will only cost a $50 fee at the DMV. The price of CDL school includes all the training you'll need to get your license.

For those who are unable or unwilling to pay for CDL school, many companies will train you in exchange for a commitment to work for them (usually for 1 year). For buses, I think school bus companies are the ones most commonly offering CDL training. Some companies also offer CDL school tuition reimbursement, also usually for a 1 year commitment.