New CTA President

I put it like this on Wednesday November 11th, 2015, we can give the new president a 6 month review on his performance at that point. Right now, we are all suggesting and leading to conclusions before the man even gets in office. Give it time and on that magical date, we can discuss what has been accomplished, what needs to be worked on and what suggestions can be voiced.

Until then, digress..............................

​That's fair. Claypool proved within 6 months that he didn't know or care what he was doing, and foreshadowed that by walking out on the CTA Tattler "I'll answer questions" session in July, 2011.

The one thing Hilkevitch didn't mention was changing the wretched seat arrangement on the 5000 series cars. It's caused enormous crowding on the trains in rush hours as no one wants to be crushed between a wide person & a stanchion, so numerous seats are empty!

​That gets down to whether one believes Claypool's statement that nothing could be done. He was sure adamant about that with about 300 cars to go, even though they could change the signs and the seats from beige to blue. Of course,the question is whether that was Claypool being Emanuel, or there is underseat equipment that precludes it. The rail engineer was willing to say something different for the 7000s, but not changing the 5000s mid order.

That gets down to whether one believes Claypool's statement that nothing could be done. He was sure adamant about that with about 300 cars to go, even though they could change the signs and the seats from beige to blue. Of course,the question is whether that was Claypool being Emanuel, or there is underseat equipment that precludes it. The rail engineer was willing to say something different for the 7000s, but not changing the 5000s mid order.

​In the middle of the 5000 cars, there is an air intake for the HVAC system, under the seats. It's rectangular & is installed longwise against the outer wall of the cars. That's why, when the first seating layout of the 7000s came out, there was a two or three person seat sideways along the wall, between forward, backwards seats.

But for the rest of the cars, there's nothing in the way, other than the sideways seats by the doors. It would be easy to use a cantilevered seat, just like on all the buses.

Only the foolishness of not wanting to make their predecessors look stupid, prevents them from changing them to a 2600 or 3200 layout.

​In the middle of the 5000 cars, there is an air intake for the HVAC system, under the seats. It's rectangular & is installed longwise against the outer wall of the cars. That's why, when the first seating layout of the 7000s came out, there was a two or three person seat sideways along the wall, between forward, backwards seats....

​I'm not sure to what you are referring with regard to the 7000s layout, unless you are referring to an earlier diagram. This one appears to show a 3200 style 1 x 2 arrangement in the center; the only differences between it an a 3200 is that the wheelchair positions are inside of the doors instead of by the cab and the seats by the cab are longitudinal. Longitudinal seats have been used where the doors slide into the pockets since that style of door has been used.

​I'm not sure to what you are referring with regard to the 7000s layout, unless you are referring to an earlier diagram. This one appears to show a 3200 style 1 x 2 arrangement in the center; the only differences between it an a 3200 is that the wheelchair positions are inside of the doors instead of by the cab and the seats by the cab are longitudinal. Longitudinal seats have been used where the doors slide into the pockets since that style of door has been used.

​I'm referring to the original seat layout when the 7000s were announced. I'm not sure where to find that diagram, but Hilkevitch did put it in an article. They had a 2600 layout, but in the middle of the cars there was to be one sideways seat on each side, for either two or three people, because if they were going to be the same design as the 5000s, there was the long air intake under the seats. On the 2400 & 2600s, the air intake fits under a standard, two person seat. In the 5000s, that intake is turned 90 degrees & won't fit under a standard seat.

​I'm referring to the original seat layout when the 7000s were announced. I'm not sure where to find that diagram, but Hilkevitch did put it in an article....

​I had guessed that it was a different one, so thanks.