5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Hey thanks man. Good to hear from you. Why are the mid 5300s doing on the Yellow Line in the first place?

Combination of the previously usual cars on the Santa Express, and basically now to run the Yellow Line, all CTA needs is a couple of pairs of cars out of Howard Yard. With the electronic signs,* any ones will do.

________

*And, of course, the conversion of the line to third rail instead of overhead power.

From the quick glance at the Chicago Tribune article, I thought the derailment happened at the south end of Howard. I guess not. I've filmed from the platform next to the train!

I couldn't understand how come it derailed on a straightaway. From what was explained to me, "one of the signals has a defective trip, so the tower has been giving Skokie operators verbal permission to pass the stop signal after the tower establishes the route and the switches are locked. Well, this operator proceeded without the permission and that last switch before you get into track 2 wasn't in his favor and it derailed and took out about 15 feet of 3rd rail, and messed up the trolley block assembly on that front truck." So it just appeared to derail on the straightaway, it actually derailed at the switch.

I couldn't understand how come it derailed on a straightaway. From what was explained to me, "one of the signals has a defective trip, so the tower has been giving Skokie operators verbal permission to pass the stop signal after the tower establishes the route and the switches are locked. Well, this operator proceeded without the permission and that last switch before you get into track 2 wasn't in his favor and it derailed and took out about 15 feet of 3rd rail, and messed up the trolley block assembly on that front truck." So it just appeared to derail on the straightaway, it actually derailed at the switch.

And, from this description, not weather related.

Maybe though, in light of the Blue Line incident, they should have fixed the trip.

Combination of the previously usual cars on the Santa Express, and basically now to run the Yellow Line, all CTA needs is a couple of pairs of cars out of Howard Yard. With the electronic signs,* any ones will do.

________

*And, of course, the conversion of the line to third rail instead of overhead power.

Hmmm, I see where you're coming from about this. Are they going to keep the Santa Express 2600s when the rest of them are retired or they're going to be replaced by the 5000s (if necessary)?

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, I see where you're coming from about this. Are they going to keep the Santa Express 2600s when the rest of them are retired or they're going to be replaced by the 5000s (if necessary)?

Well, the Santa's Express train cars are 1984 models(2891-2898). They won't be retired immediately when the 2600's start to get retired. The units built in 1981 and 1982 will first get the axe(2601-2740).

As for what will replace the Santa's Express cars.... that depends on CTA. Right now, 3441-3444 have the 600V jumper for work train service. They could outfit another 3200-series railcar pair with another 600V jumper(to keep the series numerical, either 3439-3440 or 3445-3446) or they could outfit 600V jumpers to three pairs of 5000's. But maybe after 2893-2898 are retired, so too will be the Santa's Express train.... only CTA will know for sure...

Well, the Santa's Express train cars are 1984 models(2891-2898). They won't be retired immediately when the 2600's start to get retired. The units built in 1981 and 1982 will first get the axe(2601-2740).

As for what will replace the Santa's Express cars.... that depends on CTA. Right now, 3441-3444 have the 600V jumper for work train service. They could outfit another 3200-series railcar pair with another 600V jumper(to keep the series numerical, either 3439-3440 or 3445-3446) or they could outfit 600V jumpers to three pairs of 5000's. But maybe after 2893-2898 are retired, so too will be the Santa's Express train.... only CTA will know for sure...

Yeah it's going to be kinda tricky to figure that out with the Santa Express because of that fact that the 5000s are critically incompatable with the work cars and DC powered cars. As far as the 3200s being a good fit for the job, I can see that very possible but I think they'll figure it out before the 2600s begins retirement and the 7000s arrive.

#5373-74 are in service.

#5375-76 is in howard yard. Actually I think pulled it into howard shops it was moving in the yard when I saw it. Also you know how it was reported they were going to put door bells or alarms in the doorways of opened doors on #5000 cars. Well #5159 has this. It's just a constant beeping like a heart monitor would sound like.

#5375-76 is in howard yard. Actually I think pulled it into howard shops it was moving in the yard when I saw it. Also you know how it was reported they were going to put door bells or alarms in the doorways of opened doors on #5000 cars. Well #5159 has this. It's just a constant beeping like a heart monitor would sound like.

#5375-76 are in service. Just spotted it northbound on Fullerton around 6:10pm.

Some shots of #5375-76 on Jackson last night. Notice how the time was malfunctioned in which that's strange. It was 8:42pm at the time. BusHunter, you're more than welcomed to add these pics except the malfunctioned time display pic to your post that has the delivery dates on it.

post-1364-0-24742700-1389940439_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-36138200-1389940527_thumb.jp

post-1364-0-21257000-1389940560_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Some shots of 5375-76 on Jackson last night. Notice how the time was malfunctioned in which that's strange. It was 8:42pm at the time. BusHunter, you're more than welcomed to add these pics except the malfunctioned time display pic to your post that has the delivery dates on it.

Thanks, I'll put them up. Talked to some friends that work at howard yard. The vandals were at it again and guess what. They were wearing CTA vests!! I asked my buddy how do they gain access into the yard and they said there's an emergency door at the sw corner of the yard that they enter and through which they exited when they were chased off. My question is where is the transit police detail? The policing is being done by CTA employees?

Thanks, I'll put them up. Talked to some friends that work at howard yard. The vandals were at it again and guess what. They were wearing CTA vests!! I asked my buddy how do they gain access into the yard and they said there's an emergency door at the sw corner of the yard that they enter and through which they exited when they were chased off. My question is where is the transit police detail? The policing is being done by CTA employees?

Wait a minute! Are you talking about the emergency exit located near Clark St right by the cemetary near the Chicago/Evanston border??? They were wearing CTA vests??? Now that's some flagrant bs for real!!! You're very welcome about the pics.

Wait a minute! Are you talking about the emergency exit located near Clark St right by the cemetary near the Chicago/Evanston border??? They were wearing CTA vests??? Now that's some flagrant bs for real!!! You're very welcome about the pics.

I don't know, I was told sw corner, where the vandalism occurs. I need to investigate this myself. If the doors are similar to the brown line platform emergency exits, no wonder they are getting in. I wonder why they need an emergency exit anyway. It's not a enclosed structure but a street level yard. They don't have this in the expressway yards. What is it's purpose?

I don't know, I was told sw corner, where the vandalism occurs. I need to investigate this myself. If the doors are similar to the brown line platform emergency exits, no wonder they are getting in. I wonder why they need an emergency exit anyway. It's not a enclosed structure but a street level yard. They don't have this in the expressway yards. What is it's purpose?

It's considered a fire hazard if CTA don't have emergency exit doors no matter if it's in a walled yard, tunnel, near tunnels (i.e. Paulina or Hermitage-Milwaukee Portal). It's very suspicious indeed because it has been very consistent with vandalism as of lately. I don't blame you if you do begin your investigation about it.

Came at the right station, right time! #5383-84 are in service wow!!! :D

Lucky Shot!! :) They must have released the next cars over the weekend, but that would be 8 cars and they usually release up to 6 at a time. Maybe some are missing or they jumped ahead for some reason. Looks like I have something else to investigate. :P

The purple line is starting to become half #2600's, mostly being ran with the #2600 cars off the roster, but lately they've been adding various cars off the Red line, since the last big snowstorm. They look like they are up to 40-50 #2600 cars. It's getting hard to find a six car set of #2400's lately.

• Upvote 1

Lucky Shot!! :) They must have released the next cars over the weekend, but that would be 8 cars and they usually release up to 6 at a time. Maybe some are missing or they jumped ahead for some reason. Looks like I have something else to investigate. :P

The purple line is starting to become half #2600's, mostly being ran with the #2600 cars off the roster, but lately they've been adding various cars off the Red line, since the last big snowstorm. They look like they are up to 40-50 #2600 cars. It's getting hard to find a six car set of #2400's lately.

Hey thanks! I may have to assume that between #5377-78 thru #5381-82 either in service or being prepared to be in service before this week ends. As far as the Purple Line lacking 2400s, most of them are on the Orange Line and some of them are in the retirement process. I wonder (just for kicks) if the Orange Line jumps ahead of the Purple Line by getting the 5000s next, would the 3200s be a perfect temporary fit for the Purple Line?

Hey thanks! I may have to assume that between #5377-78 thru #5381-82 either in service or being prepared to be in service before this week ends. As far as the Purple Line lacking 2400s, most of them are on the Orange Line and some of them are in the retirement process. I wonder (just for kicks) if the Orange Line jumps ahead of the Purple Line by getting the 5000s next, would the 3200s be a perfect temporary fit for the Purple Line?

Probably not. Again, essentially the issue is putting another series at Howard Yard, when they are trying to make it all 5000s.

Probably not. Again, essentially the issue is putting another series at Howard Yard, when they are trying to make it all 5000s.

Makes sense to me but that's on Claypool to determine what to do after the 2400s are retired and after either Purple or Orange Line get the next dibs on the 5000s.