5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

To my knowledge, there are no cars stored overnight at the 63rd/Loomis Yard. There are 8 cars laid up at the Cottage Grove station to start the first two runs from Cottage in the a.m. This is why the first train out of Harlem is actually a "B" train (Cottage Grove train). Also all of the six car consists start and end at Harlem (at least in the P.M) but I am pretty sure its the same with tha a.m. as well.

Your comments seem only to refer to the Jackson Park (Cottage Grove) trips, not the Englewood (Ashland 63) ones. Wish to clarify?

Your comments seem only to refer to the Jackson Park (Cottage Grove) trips, not the Englewood (Ashland 63) ones. Wish to clarify?

I think there are three 4 car consists laid up at Ashland station(the last three Ashland departures from Harlem become the first three departures from 63/Ashland). Since the 1st NB Green Line train departs from 63rd/Ashland, there has to be an extra set there to depart before the first arrival (2nd SB Green Line ) from Harlem.

The first six car consist leaves Harlem around 5:15ish a.m. for Cottage Grove and subsequent trains are six cars as well.until about 9 .am.

In the p.m., the first six car consist leaves Harlem around 2 p.m. and the last six car consist leaves after 5:30 p.m., with the last six car consist returning to Harlem just before 8 p.m.

I think there are three 4 car consists laid up at Ashland station(the last three Ashland departures from Harlem become the first three departures from 63/Ashland). Since the 1st NB Green Line train departs from 63rd/Ashland, there has to be an extra set there to depart before the first arrival (2nd SB Green Line ) from Harlem.

The first six car consist leaves Harlem around 5:15ish a.m. for Cottage Grove and subsequent trains are six cars as well.until about 9 .am.

In the p.m., the first six car consist leaves Harlem around 2 p.m. and the last six car consist leaves after 5:30 p.m., with the last six car consist returning to Harlem just before 8 p.m.

It seems like the yard is still there, and the crews would still need somewhere to report. They aren't just stacking the cars at the platform, even if major shops work for the Green and Pink is being done at Harlem-Lake.

The earlier reports were that the Cottage Grove trains were in Loomis yard, but backed over the 59th Jct., but I don't know if that changed. In any event, the crews again would still have to report somewhere.

It seems like the yard is still there, and the crews would still need somewhere to report. They aren't just stacking the cars at the platform, even if major shops work for the Green and Pink is being done at Harlem-Lake.

The earlier reports were that the Cottage Grove trains were in Loomis yard, but backed over the 59th Jct., but I don't know if that changed. In any event, the crews again would still have to report somewhere.

The motormen (operators) report either at 63rd/Ashland or 63rd/Cottage Grove. Because all consists are put together or taken apart at Harlem, there is no need to staff the yards at 63rd/Loomis or 61st. Those yards only saw activity when the Red Line was shut down for reconstruction. At that point 61st had to be used because the nonpeak service doubled, therefore two extra trains had to originate from 63rd/Cottage, and 61st Yard was the only option to store those cars.

If anything, I've seen Out of Service trains (even 5000 series ones) deadhead to/from Harlem, apparently because the 63rd/Racine shop is closed, thus no need to deadhead trains from Cottage Grove to Loomis Yard (especially with a yard at 61st).

The idea of not storing any 5000s at 98th Yard until now seems stupid. Consider that a lot of runs originate from 95th (or 63rd during the Reconstruction). A train that comes to 95th as an 800 run number may leave out of 95th as a 900 run number, meaning the operator of that run originated at 95th. It would seem crazy to train the 95th operators on the new equipment but not the yard personnel or 98th maintenance.

BTW recently I saw an 8 car consist of 2400s on the Orange Line at Ashland either Wednesday or Thursday evening. .

Well they were testing on the loop elevated, not tracks 1 and 4, so there is something they are looking at there. i still say the Red line will not receive more than 360 cars. I think they are more done than we think, maybe about 3/4's done. If the Red line gets more cars then the Purple line would get less #5000's. They don't need 90 all new cars either. They have been borrowing off the Red line and have consistently been ran with old cars. Now that soon the cars will be new I don't see that many cars needed unless they are storing new cars, which doesn't make sense for places running old cars. Maybe the Orange line will get more than 80 something #5000's after all. They could go with #5147- #5152 on the yellow, #5153 - #5517 on the Red, #5518 - #5608 Purple line or just put up to #5538 on the Red line leaving #5539- #5608 on the Purple, #5609 - #5714 Orange.

Don't forget though that the north end of the Red Line is not completely devoid of slow zones, that trains do get bottlenecked during rush hour at or near Belmont station due to the splitting off of the Brown Line at the interlock just north of School, and that they kept the rush hour intervals at as little as three minute intervals depending on the time in large part because the north end is so heavily traveled (and perhaps they're hoping the Dan Ryan rebuild will bring numbers up on that end to balance the north), so you can't really say for sure that the number of cars used on the line will be reduced just because the Dan Ryan leg got rebuilt. Yeah trains are now moving much faster through the Dan Ryan stretch, but they do still get hung up along the North Side Main.

The motormen (operators) report either at 63rd/Ashland or 63rd/Cottage Grove. Because all consists are put together or taken apart at Harlem, there is no need to staff the yards at 63rd/Loomis or 61st. Those yards only saw activity when the Red Line was shut down for reconstruction. At that point 61st had to be used because the nonpeak service doubled, therefore two extra trains had to originate from 63rd/Cottage, and 61st Yard was the only option to store those cars.

If anything, I've seen Out of Service trains (even 5000 series ones) deadhead to/from Harlem, apparently because the 63rd/Racine shop is closed, thus no need to deadhead trains from Cottage Grove to Loomis Yard (especially with a yard at 61st).

The idea of not storing any 5000s at 98th Yard until now seems stupid. Consider that a lot of runs originate from 95th (or 63rd during the Reconstruction). A train that comes to 95th as an 800 run number may leave out of 95th as a 900 run number, meaning the operator of that run originated at 95th. It would seem crazy to train the 95th operators on the new equipment but not the yard personnel or 98th maintenance.

BTW recently I saw an 8 car consist of 2400s on the Orange Line at Ashland either Wednesday or Thursday evening. .

I saw 5000s parked in 98th Friday at the after am rush.

DH

• 2 weeks later...

#5359-60 was in howard yard tonight on the far side. No snow on it which indicates it has been indoors. At Skokie shops around 3:00pm they were receiving a new car via flatbed, looked like #5368, but I couldn't be sure. They had one car in the yard with a black colored end. I don't know what that was about. They also had #2200's and #2400's on the side as single cars. Looks like they were getting ready for their last ride via flatbed.

#5359-60 was in howard yard tonight on the far side. No snow on it which indicates it has been indoors. At Skokie shops around 3:00pm they were receiving a new car via flatbed, looked like #5368, but I couldn't be sure. They had one car in the yard with a black colored end. I don't know what that was about. They also had #2200's and #2400's on the side as single cars. Looks like they were getting ready for their last ride via flatbed.

Was the car with the black end a 5000?

Once Wilson gets rebuilt, will the Purple stop there ?

If so, between that, and getting rid of slow orders on the north side embankment should lure some people off the the overcrowded Red.

Supposedly. CTA keeps talking about it being a transfer station with dual platforms.

• 2 weeks later...