5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

As soon as they start with the #5000's on the Purple line, that will start the #2600's retirement, because the 150 cars on the Red line can easily retire the #2400's that's left on the Orange and Purple line. I already notice #2400's sitting in Howard yard that are not being used like #2479-80 that hasn't moved in a few weeks with snow still on the roof. They mostly seem to be running the work car #2400's now on the Purple line, which reminds me are they going to reassign the work cars soon or just go into the #2600's retirement? I know #2401-02 is a sleet car, so that's not going anywhere for the winter anyway. When they do start retiring #2600's they'll probably start doing that off the Blue line because they have most of the low #2600's. The Red/Purple line #2600 cars are mostly higher numbered cars.

Do you mean "that will start the #2400's retirement"? Will the 2600's start retirement??? Yes, but not until the tail end of the 5000's are delivered and also when the 7000's start to roll in during 2017-2019. The ones that will be retired soon will be 2601-2740, which are units built in 1981-1982. Some of the 1983 units(2741-2824) may be retired as well, but I think there is too many units right now to be retired with the remaining 5000's. Their main purpose was to retire the 2200's and the 2400's. The 7000's purpose will be to retire the 2600's and 3200's.

Do you mean "that will start the #2400's retirement"? Will the 2600's start retirement??? Yes, but not until the tail end of the 5000's are delivered and also when the 7000's start to roll in during 2017-2019. The ones that will be retired soon will be 2601-2740, which are units built in 1981-1982. Some of the 1983 units(2741-2824) may be retired as well, but I think there is too many units right now to be retired with the remaining 5000's. Their main purpose was to retire the 2200's and the 2400's. The 7000's purpose will be to retire the 2600's and 3200's.

According to press reports, they intend on keeping 400 #2600 cars at the conclusion of the #5000 delivery, so it only stands to reason that the #2600 cars retirement will begin with the last 200 #5000 cars delivered. Personally I think it might happen sooner, because I notice alot of the #2400 and #2600 cars are sitting in Howard yard not really being used.

Really I don't see a need for 400 #2600 cars. If the blue line runs about 368 cars and the Orange line runs about 156 and they transfer all the Orange line #3200's to blue, that leaves about 280 needed for the blue line and maybe 46 cars needed for the Orange, figuring they would get 110 #5000's. So I see more in the neighborhood of 320 #2600 cars left when the #5000's are all here.

Yes it seems to be difficult to keep the Pink and Green allocated cars straight! They seem to switch between lines on a regular basis

The news reports when they were repairing the welds was that all are serviced at the Lake shop.

When a conductor was working outside between cars on early 6000's, you just looked one way and then the other and then closed the doors, first the ones towards the rear of the train, then the ones towards the front. In that era people were expected to be smart enough not to do stupid things like try to jump out as the doors were closing, though if they did, there were sensitive edges on the doors that would then reopen and try to reclose the door. (I worked New York R-10's with outside door controls ca 1982, so this is first hand experience!)

• Upvote 2

When a conductor was working outside between cars on early 6000's, you just looked one way and then the other and then closed the doors, first the ones towards the rear of the train, then the ones towards the front. In that era people were expected to be smart enough not to do stupid things like try to jump out as the doors were closing, though if they did, there were sensitive edges on the doors that would then reopen and try to reclose the door. (I worked New York R-10's with outside door controls ca 1982, so this is first hand experience!)

What does this have to do with Bombardier cars?

Thanks!! Yeah it's getting so bad they need to run these trains through some kind of paint stripper when they wash them, but it would probably be too harsh on the number decals and dull the finish.

Yeah that would be a problem. If they don't enforce this very soon, all hell is going to break loose.

Shots of #5389-90 and seriously, the tagging bs is starting to piss me off!!! It hasn't been a week of them being in service! Like damn man!!!

Brand new and already marked. Come on guys, don't you have anything better to do besides tag L cars? These are 1.4 million $ cars, not 1.4 million $ canvases.

Edit: On the 2013 Snowflake Special, I overheard a conversation about tagging the L cars. It seemed to be annoying back then, but from what I'm seeing on this forum I think it is a bigger problem now. One person was talking about groups of taggers in yards, and has heard of a group member coming into contact with the third rail. There would be a absence of the group, followed by the group returning to tag a few days later.

Edited by MTRSP1900-CTA3200

Brand new and already marked. Come on guys, don't you have anything better to do besides tag L cars? These are 1.4 million $ cars, not 1.4 million $ canvases.

Edit: On the 2013 Snowflake Special, I overheard a conversation about tagging the L cars. It seemed to be annoying back then, but from what I'm seeing on this forum I think it is a bigger problem now. One person was talking about groups of taggers in yards, and has heard of a group member coming into contact with the third rail. There would be a absence of the group, followed by the group returning to tag a few days later.

Why didn't you do something about it???

Chalk up another 12 cars on the led #5000's. (#5007-08, #5013-14, #5043-44, #5083-84, #5117-18, #5139-40) That makes 60 cars finished out of 148 #5000's on the green and pink lines

(message Feb 10th)

Another 8 cars are added to the led interior lights in #5000 list. #5057-58, #5079-80, #5105-06 and #5137-38. That should make 68 cars finished out of 148 on the pink and green lines.