5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

You see if you stay out there long enough you'll get them. lol!! Next time I'll see if I can give you a run number so there easier to track. You can track them then on train tracker. Something tells me #5405-06 are out there but maybe in howard shop so keep your eyes out. I believe #5407-08 are at Skokie Shops waiting probably for next week.

Lol cool!!!

Yesterday, I rode 5269-5270 on the Yellow Line. What was odd was the door controls did not function for 5270 on either side of the train. The train stayed in service for remainder last night on the Yellow Line. At each station, the operator had to manually open the door using the cherry. The doors wouldn't even respond to closing from the manual position either. I found it very weird that in order for the driver's cab to get a door relay, all the operator had to do was physically slide the door to the closed position to get a response.

Thought I had bad luck today when I got a 5100 in and a 2900 out (actually saw two 2600s on the way out) but class got canceled, so I went back into the loop and got 5400! Patience paid off. It doesn't even have ads inside yet.

See I told you that you were going to see them sooner.

Yeah i think they are close to finished there. I haven't seen any of the old lighting since last week.

That was pretty much confirmed today with my visit to the Green and Pink lines. I didn't see any cars with the old lighting. I added #5019-20, #5033-34, #5039-40, #5057-58, #5061-62, #5065-66, #5071-72, #5077-78, #5087-88, #5089-90, #5093-94, #5103-04, #5111-12, #5123-24, #5129-32 and #5145-46 to the LED lighting list. The remaining cars (20 of them, #5005-06, #5015-16, #5021-22, #5025-26, #5029-30, #5035-36, #5041-42, #5049-50, #5125-26, #5133-34) I'm assuming were most likely held in as the final cars being fixed up. Now it's time to work on the Red line

Update: by mar 7th, they were down to 10 cars left. Final cars left are #5015-16, #5021-22, #5035-36, #5049-50 and #5133-34.

Final Green/Pink line update: All Green/Pink cars finished by Mar 9th. (#5001 - #5146)

10 On flatbeds? You know a little secret about how to tell a new car from old since the weather has been nasty is the new cars are really shiny compared to any other #5000 that may be there.The older ones will have a weathered appearance. So did you see 10 shiny cars?. They could have also been preparing some cars for release on monday. I'll be up that way tomorrow cause they always seem to bring out the new cars on weekends or mondays.

10 On flatbeds? You know a little secret about how to tell a new car from old since the weather has been nasty is the new cars are really shiny compared to any other #5000 that may be there.The older ones will have a weathered appearance. So did you see 10 shiny cars?. They could have also been preparing some cars for release on monday. I'll be up that way tomorrow cause they always seem to bring out the new cars on weekends or mondays.

It's hard to say because the train was fast. It looks shiny when the train passing by there. They also have them parked where the 2200s and the 3200s were on the right side of the shops. They're not couple though. I also seen the 2200s have the signs "Congress-Milwaukee A" on them too.

That was me :). So what does a new option signify? Are they changing anything or is it just a way to break up the order?

It only seems to signify that CTA first ordered 406 cars until it decided to exercise all of its options, which resulted in ordering 706, which became 714.

There was a difference in the specs when the last 84 were supposed to be for the Airport Express, but since it became apparent that the Olympics were not coming here in 2016 and Daley wasn't getting any private entity to put up $1.5 billion for said Express, it was said that the specs were changed so that all would be standard cars. They've also made it quite clear that for whatever reason, a different seat arrangement will have to await the 7000s.

However, I figure that this will be different than 1000s bus options #3 and #4, where there was a press release that they were ordering a lighter bus. Nothing was said up to now about the rapid transit car options being different.

Just spotted a six car #5000 series train on the purple line with not in service signs on it. I wonder if they are training crews for #5000's on the Purple line for maybe the spring pick?

You know, I saw something interesting in the loop earlier. I was on the green line going from Adams to Madison and hear the train opposite us mention something about "not in service," so I looked and just out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a glowing purple sign, but the next car in the train was either a 2400 or 2600 with a purple line sign on it. Could they possibly be testing the new retrofitted colored signs, or maybe were towing a 24/26 pair with a 5000?

It's hard to say because the train was fast. It looks shiny when the train passing by there. They also have them parked where the 2200s and the 3200s were on the right side of the shops. They're not couple though. I also seen the 2200s have the signs "Congress-Milwaukee A" on them too.

From what I saw at skokie shops, they had four single cars sitting outside the garage doors, and the "A" train signed congress train was heavily vandalized. I don't know if those were from harlem yard though. There has been four of those cars at skokie now for months.

From what I saw at skokie shops, they had four single cars sitting outside the garage doors, and the "A" train signed congress train was heavily vandalized. I don't know if those were from harlem yard though. There has been four of those cars at skokie now for months.

I'm not sure if those are from Harlem Yard too. I've haven't been to Harlem Yard yet. Maybe this week I will.