5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

If you guys are interested a #5000 train with #5411-16 is on the purple line currently sb heading into sedgewick run #506

It's now departing from Belmont running express to Howard. My delivery zone goes up to Irving Park. So, I'll try to get some shots if it goes back southbound.

They have a work train headed sb with a cherry picker and s-516, I think. it was en route to ohare blue line passed it at howard sb has #2400 work motor cars on it.

If that's the case then it'll have to go around the loop because there's no junction on the northwest side of Tower 18.

If that's the case then it'll have to go around the loop because there's no junction on the northwest side of Tower 18.

I'm told there was a shortage of cars and the #5411-16 consist was subbed in. Those are still red line cars. But it shows how close we are to #5000's on the purple line.

I'm told there was a shortage of cars and the #5411-16 consist was subbed in. Those are still red line cars. But it shows how close we are to #5000's on the purple line.

Tell me about it! You and I are indeed correct about the work cars heading to the Blue Line because I just spotted them going past Tower 18 on the outer loop track about ten minutes ago.
  • Upvote 2

They obviously have the purple line operators trained for 5000s now (or the red line operators trained to run the purple line route), so there shouldn't be much of a delay between finishing the red line and starting the purple line. I guess we know almost for certain which line gets them next!

Tell me about it! You and I are indeed correct about the work cars heading to the Blue Line because I just spotted them going past Tower 18 on the outer loop track about ten minutes ago.

I was told there were three different sets of trains going to O'Hare. I only saw that one set with the blue cherry picker on the flatbed. The other car was a crane, S617 or S619, I got it wrong before. Well anyway here is a youtube video on the passing #5000 train at Chicago/Franklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNpF_tLdKYM&list=HL1395719484&feature=mh_lolz

Don't know why it's pixalated, maybe youtube has to catch up to it.

I made some stills of the video here they are:

post-304-0-76523000-1395719794_thumb.png

post-304-0-80927500-1395719928_thumb.png

post-304-0-94855300-1395720062_thumb.png

post-304-0-23304900-1395720174_thumb.png

post-304-0-26686100-1395720287_thumb.png

post-304-0-24409200-1395720406_thumb.png

post-304-0-02311600-1395720518_thumb.png

• Upvote 6

I was told there were three different sets of trains going to O'Hare. I only saw that one set with the blue cherry picker on the flatbed. The other car was a crane, S617 or S619, I got it wrong before. Well anyway here is a youtube video on the passing #5000 train at Chicago/Franklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNpF_tLdKYM&list=HL1395719484&feature=mh_lolz

Don't know why it's pixalated, maybe youtube has to catch up to it.

I made some stills of the video here they are:

attachicon.gifpurple 5000's.png

attachicon.gifpurple 5000'sb.png

attachicon.gifpurple 5000'sc.png

attachicon.gifpurple5415.png

attachicon.gifpurple 5414.png

attachicon.gifpurple5413.png

attachicon.gifpurple5412.png

I bet that the Brown Line riders were jealous when they saw this! LOL :p

I was in the last car, the train was not crowded and when it got to Quincy it seemed like 200 people got on. The train completely filled up at that one stop. When it pulled up to Wash/Wells someone asked could you please move in and two guys somewhere in the car said no. It was kind of humorous, but if I knew Joechicago was waiting I would've pulled them in. :P

• Upvote 1

I was in the last car, the train was not crowded and when it got to Quincy it seemed like 200 people got on. ...

Normal. Apparently since it became all local south of Belmont, its function is to take people from Wells to Belmont, where it clears out. Brown Line's similar function is from Wabash and Lake.

Hmm I wonder if a #5000 will go out this afternoon on the Purple line?

According to an instructor some #5000's are going to be permanately assigned to the purple line now. Don't see nothing today yet. #5419-20 are on there way to howard from skokie shops so you can start looking for it now.

• Upvote 2